News

Women Should Get Paid Menstrual Leave – Doctor

Doctor G

Gedis Grudzinskas

Hey ladies! Wouldn’t it be nice to get some time off work when its “that time of the month”?

Renowned UK-based international obstetrics and gynaecology doctor, Gedis Grudzinskas, advocates that women who suffer from period pains and don’t feel very well should get a paid leave each month, Daily Mail reports.

“Some women feel really grotty when menstruating. Coming into work is a struggle and they feel lousy. When you feel like that, it’s harder to take pride in your work or perform as well. This is about employers being sensible and aware.

During that period, most women experience psychological and physiological discomfort.

It would be one to three days each month, separate to sick leave entitlement – it is not sickness, after all,” he said.

Menstrual leave is already reportedly being practiced in countries like Indonesia and Japan.
The practice is said to have emerged in the 1920s and 1930s, when female employees were young, and working conditions were hectic. Due to a lack of sanitary materials for managing menstruation, it was difficult for women, especially those in the transportation and factory industries to cope.

According to reports, “there was also a belief that taking leave while menstruating prevented problems during pregnancy and childbirth, such as miscarriage and premature labour.”

***

Do you think having a paid menstrual leave is a good idea?

1. tosin

December 5, 2014 at 11:34 am

GLORRRRAAAYYY!!!!! Menstrual Pain is crazy. Some people even get on drips or need injection.. I even ended up vomiting one time. It was dat bad.. And on period days all I want to do I sleep. So I think its a good idea..

• Josh Teller

December 5, 2014 at 6:55 pm

Oh no, vomiting! how dreadful! This would be way to easy to manipulate so my answer is NO. All they would have to do is take a pill, feel better, call in and tell them they’ll be back in 5 days.

• memebaby

December 5, 2014 at 7:42 pm

you are right about getting on drips and injections.. i have a friend who’s always like that.
      Another one has MP from the day before her menses till the last day.
      In my teens, I used to throw up but noW all i do is raise my legs, and stay in funny positions and take pain killers, So uncle DOKITA paid menstrual leave for the win!!

2. Rs

December 5, 2014 at 11:39 am

You’re the real MAY sir!!!!

• Rs

December 5, 2014 at 12:39 pm

MVP*

3. Joseph

December 5, 2014 at 11:48 am

Is this Doctor Crazy ?

• sifon

December 5, 2014 at 12:37 pm

No Joseph, are u cray cray??? Until u feel the gut wrenching discomfort of “things” sloughing uncontrollably out of ur body, u need to just zip up ur ignorant mouth!!!

• Mz Socially Awkward...

December 5, 2014 at 2:17 pm

“Things sloughing uncomfortably out of your body”… yes oh, sisteh, tell it like it is. 🙂

• intoxyka

December 5, 2014 at 5:29 pm

Now this is what I’m talking about…. *grabs painkillers to stop menstrual pain*
      If you aint had menstral pain, please shift to one corner. You have NO FREAKING idea what the pain feels like.

December 5, 2014 at 5:04 pm

He is not.. I laid down infront of my unversity cafetera once… When it attack like this, i have no shame.. I have walked out of exam hall thrice without finishing the paper- i couldnt deal it.. it is that bad.. i used to take days off – couldnt tell my boss why cause he is male.. it is that bad

4. Miss_Flygerian

December 5, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Lol! I got no comment.

5. CaramelD

December 5, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Let me tell you, for fifteen years of my life, I had to be hospitalised for my period pains. I had doctors giving me pain meds meant for cancer patients. In fact there is a research paper somewhere in Germany with my name on it. Coming into work when you feel like your insides are being minced by a hot poker is a miracle in itself. Not adding the other symptoms like nausea, headaches and dehydration from not being able to keep food and water down.

It sounds like a great idea but I find it difficult to believe anyone would make that a law (in Nigeria and in the west). Also it might be open to abuse from people who would use it wrongly. Plus women would be scared to ask for it especially in killer work environments where you are struggling to be seen as an equal to your male counterparts.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

December 5, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Ah, when our male colleagues take enough days off at the slightest pangs of “man-flu”? Imagine what kind of drastic improvement that might have happened to workplace regulations if men experienced the joy of seeing their periods, kwanu? Don’t worry, we won’t be afraid to ask for it and any male boss or subordinate that acts frisky can look forward to being slapped with a sexual discrimination claim.

I will admit that the only thing hampering the effectiveness of such a request is the wash of embarrassment that will flood me every time I have to discuss it with my male ogas. And Lord help me if I show any signs of general irritation at work during that period (pun intended) – e go be say na menstruation dey cause my bad moods.

Have only directly requested a day off work for Aunt flow related reasons once in my entire working career (have borne my crippling pain to the office in the past with plenty of ibuprofen) and it was seriously mortifying having to say to my boss that I was having “serious abdominal cramps” and needed to go home, when we both knew what that metaphor was really trying up describe. He get wife, sha, so e fit no be new English for im ear…

• fiya

December 5, 2014 at 4:07 pm

One lady told me a story, she went to the hospital with her kid and they were waiting for their turn when they rushed a guy in on a gurney. What happened? he saw blood coming out from some where on his body, dont know from where its coming from, he passed out. The ladys in the waiting room started laughing, one said “…imagine if men are like women who have to deal with menses every month, that means the hospital would have been the richest place to work in, because they’ll pass out at the slightest drop of blood coming out if their “thinga ling”.

6. efe

December 5, 2014 at 12:11 pm

fabulous,great,wonderful,welcome idea.

BUT, would it ever be implemented in Nigeria ?

• MC

December 5, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Does Nigeria offer paid maternity leave?

7. Queen of Everything

December 5, 2014 at 12:15 pm

I actually think it makes sense, admittedly women experience it differently some with little to no pain, others excruciating, i know i was so sick from it one time my dad took me to A&E, I have a friend who has collapsed at a train station and had to be taken to the hospital in an ambulance.
    Also, if this was an “ailment” men suffered it would already be a reality!

so yes please, where do i sign up to have this drafted into a bill and passed in parliament lol

8. 1luv

December 5, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Will be nice definitely!

9. Blessmyheart

December 5, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Wouldn’t that be great? Menstrual pain no easy abeg. I don’t see it happening in Nigeria anytime soon. Besides, I see people taking undue advantage of it.

10. http://xplorenollywood.blogspot.com

December 5, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Its now my prayer point oh!!! God knows i have good and bad days, mainly bad though.

11. chizzy

December 5, 2014 at 12:41 pm

I hope it works in Nigeria,Menstrual pain is really painful i even vomited once and i make sure i take my med on time or i will find myself at d hosp.its that bad.

12. oj

December 5, 2014 at 12:49 pm

if this becomes law, all naija women will be having menstrual pains and employers will have more reasons to employ males than females. don’t see it happening.

13. BM

December 5, 2014 at 1:46 pm

I totally see how this might be relevant because for those of us that experience this excruciating time of the month you are very unproductive anyway. Yup! I have also experienced passing out. Waiting for a bus at Port Authority in NY (the horror!). The monthly upchucking, lower back pain, headaches, lethargy and just feeling like your uterus is about to explode is the worst! I think I even gave myself a mild ulcer because I started loading up on the NSAIDs/Naproxen (Aleve) a week+ in advance of day 1, in anticipation of the pain to come. So bro at the top who was asking if dude was crazy…nah. He ain’t! Will it fly especially here in Naija? Probably not. You know how slick we are. Well, if Lagos state approved paternity leave, maybe, just maaaayybbeee…..

14. tunmi

December 5, 2014 at 1:47 pm

I’m lucky mine are very milk. I feel the cramps but they are very mild. My godmother gets terrible migraines (really bad ones that she can’t even teach and this woman has a high threshold of pain–ex. her c section was mildly painful for her). And a friend of mine cannot even move when she is on it. For those who are incapacitated, yes I saw they should get that leave.

• fiya

December 5, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Me and u both….mine is not so bad sha, the bloating i hate with a passion. I get pain but not that excruciating one ooo. I’ve heard stories from some people concerning their periods. Not good at all. I’ve witnessed a friend lay on her stomach for 3 days straight cus of the pain. I felt so bad for her. So YES!!!!! make we sign a petition for this, mine lasts 3 days straight, but a whole week with pay wont hurt.

15. PIONEERXY

December 5, 2014 at 1:54 pm

the solution is to stop women from working until they reach menopause.cos i know my Niger girls all of them will utilize the opportunity.

16. Mma Emy

December 5, 2014 at 1:58 pm

I’m up for it. I use to menstruate for 16 days when I was a teenager with excruciating pains. Now I’m an adult and the pain is still unbearable. The problem will be implementing it in Naija, if we can’t implement age discrimination, then this one will be a hard nut to crack. Between, ovulation leave wouldn’t be a bad idea too cos its also painful for me…… The things we women go through.

• Owelle

December 5, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Omg!! I hope it doesn’t last for 16 days anymore. Mine is just four and it feels like a year. I can’t imagine 16

• Brigitta

December 6, 2014 at 1:59 pm

16days!!!! Wow! Dats a lot..have you sought medical attention on this matter?

17. benny

December 5, 2014 at 3:03 pm

DADDDDDYYYYY… YOU ARE THE MAN!!!
    Where can we start a campaign for your Nobel prize?

18. enem

December 5, 2014 at 4:01 pm

OMG! this doctor God bless you. its a good suggestion, anyways most times i take permission or work half days when its that time. you cant explain the discomfort except you feel it

19. zexyzorlia

December 5, 2014 at 5:14 pm

The first two days of my menstruation are always hell…. how will guys ever understand what we always go thru…abeg dat doctor is da bomb…menstrual leave is really a welcoming idea

20. Mma Emy

December 5, 2014 at 5:21 pm

@Owelle, No! It’s no more 16 days but 7 days. Still the pain is unbearable.

• Owelle

December 5, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Thank God. Now someone has to invent sm’n that will stop all this pain.

21. Gorgeous

December 5, 2014 at 5:27 pm

On my worst day, i always work from home so that i can rest. I have very painful periods and will be totally incapacitated. So it is best i stay home, and i do.

22. Tosin

December 5, 2014 at 5:35 pm

I like days off for anything, like I’m not feeling super and I don’t have that much to do, a bit of a cold, anything. I love to take great care of my little self lol. Def. given myself menstrual leave in the past cos it sometimes would come with a cold and random not-so-welliness.

Some unasked-for advice: hydrate well and maybe even do some push ups or sit ups in the two days before your period. It’s muscle aches you feel (for most people, that’s all) and nothing makes muscles ache like dehydration. So water, good food and rest, maybe lucozade SPORT or gatorade if you don’t get hydrated well enough from water esp if something dehydrating happened like sun/stress/diarrhoea/tightclothes/airlessrooms; targeting the last couple of days before your period. Trust me. It may mean the end of suffering at that time of the month 😉

• tunmi

December 6, 2014 at 3:39 am

Different things work for different people. My godmother used to work out when she was younger. She played softball and was a bit of a bodybuilder along with her older brother, and this did nothing for the pain. Me, personally, I apply heat right below my stomach – my pelvic area. It helps, it really does. As well as 6 ibuprofen tablets on the first day. But the heat method works. I normally place my laptop on my pelvic area, lying back down, so the heat from the battery/fan can ease the pain. And I also eat comfort foods: efo riro with palm oil with assorted meats (kidney, liver, heart, stomach, oxtail, cow feet, bits and pieces of beef, and dried fish). Just efo, no rice or eba. And maybe chipotle.

23. Cryer

December 5, 2014 at 5:37 pm

You are all complete nutters and very short sighted, As soon as people get paid leave for menstrual leave, of all things, the employability of women is going to drop like a lead weight. Who in their right mind wants to employ someone who can take paid time off whenever they want because they claim to be having menstrual pains?

Ridiculous suggestion. How about men getting time off when their balls ache?
    Just pop a couple of pain killers and stop wallowing in self pity.

• oj

December 5, 2014 at 5:43 pm

spoken like someone who has never experienced serious cramps

• Owelle

December 5, 2014 at 9:18 pm

My dear you don’t know what menstrual cramps are like

• Ephi

December 6, 2014 at 7:46 pm

We are all complete nutters?! Thats so very “kind” of you dear Cryer *rme

24. dginnie

December 6, 2014 at 12:07 am

Is menstrual pain a symptom of fibroid? Is it actually normal to have excruciating pains during ones period??

25. Ephi

December 6, 2014 at 7:41 pm

I am 100% in support of this! 🙂 especially the first 2 days, very horrible

26. Sharon McDonald

August 11, 2015 at 5:12 am

I support 2 days mensuration leave a month. I get period pain for the first 3 days of my period. My period last for 6 days. Bleeding for 6 days and nights is a long time. When i was younger my period use to last 7 days. For some woman their periods can last 9 – 11 days. I think mensuration leave is very fair to woman as we have special needs than men do not have to deal with their body such as mensuration. Men do not have to deal with losing blood from the body day and night every 3 weeks of their life. I also get very tired and I am in pain with my period pain and have to keep taking panadol ( pain killer) all day but am still in pain after taking the pain killer. Have to use a hot water bottle on my tummy. Have a shower to clean the blood from my pubic area and down my legs. Wash underwear with blood on it. Can also get blood on jeans, p.js, underwear, sheets . mensuration also causes extra washing . If you can’t get the blood stains out of your clothes, your clothes or underwear are ruined.
    Not nice trying to get ready for work when you have blood pouring out of your body down the toillet, blood running down your legs and your underwear in soaked with blood, and you also use more toilet paper as well another expenses and pay for Painkillers. Plus cost of paying for sanitary pads and tampons as well expensive. New underwear and clothes and sheets and laundry power and cost of running a washing machine, use more electricity.