News

Divine Intervention or Luck? Kidnapper Freed 10 Year Old Boy Because He Repeatedly Sang Gospel Song

Willie MyrickThis incident happened last year, however; many are still talking about it.

A 10-year-old African-American boy named Willie Myrick (he was 9 at the time) was kidnapped from the front yard of his guardians’ Atlanta home by an unidentified man in March 2014, after luring him with money Independent UK reports.

Myrick’s captor forced him to enter into his vehicle, and began a 3-hour journey to an unidentified destination.

During the ride, Myrick repeatedly sang popular gospel song, “Every Praise” by Hezekiah Walker.

His captor reportedly got extremely irate and kept cursing at the boy, telling, him to stop singing, but Myrick ignored him and continued to sing for three hours straight.

Exasperated, the kidnapper let Myrick out of his car unharmed, in the East Point area. Overjoyed to be free, he then ran to his godmother Codetta’s house, as she lived close by.

Speaking on his ordeal, Myrick said “If you praise the Lord he will help you in mysterious ways.”

According to CBN, he was raised by atheist parents but his godmother frequently took him to church where his passion for God was born and grew strongly.

“Faith is important to this house and believing in God is important… I said, ‘In this house we go to church.’ He knows God. He knows Jesus,” Codetta said.

When he heard the news, Walker traveled from New York to Atlanta to see the boy.

“It’s just emotional to me because you never know who you’re going to touchI just wanted to hug him and tell him I love him…I really believe that God spoke through me to save that young man’s life.”

Here’s the music video for the song, “Every Praise.”

***

So what do you think? Was Myrick saved by divine intervention? Or was it just plain luck?

1. bruno

January 29, 2015 at 6:49 pm

this boy is very lucky. I know u christains will say other wise.

I hope they catch that kidnapper.

• Laila

January 30, 2015 at 3:21 am

You must live a very sad life Bruno. Thats if u exist cos am beginning to think Bella Naija just puts these comments here to piss us off. If you do, then please accept my accept my sympathy because am sure its hard being bitter and twisted all the time. I really don’t want to believe theres some one like you out on the loose. kai… i can’t understand it. smh.

• VooDoo

January 30, 2015 at 10:11 am

@liala. keep quite. so u are the one with the happy life abi? abegi make we hear something.

• Bella

January 30, 2015 at 11:29 am

Luck had nothing to do with, its faith, he believed in what he believed in and in this case God and God set him free. There is no such thing as luck., Faith is what you believe in, faith is more powerful than you think. For this boy raised by atheists, he could have chosen to have faith in anything out there but he chose THE MIGHTY LORD JESUS CHRIST!! In all these trying times, it is so good to hear something good that not only establishes the power and affirmation of Jesus but his presence. Amen to that and to those that believe and have faith in any other thing or form, I say good luck with that! Y’ll know where I stand!

• MC

January 30, 2015 at 12:06 pm

I dont even think it was luck. The kidnapper simply got p*ssed off!
      I would to! 3 hours of the same song!

• didabliz

January 30, 2015 at 4:23 pm

Deal with it Sir; our God is a God of miracles! And yes BN it was divine intervention!

2. oluchy

January 29, 2015 at 6:55 pm

For me as a christian, l don’t believe in plain luck. Everything is divinely arranged by our Creator, so YES, God saved him.

• boon

January 29, 2015 at 9:07 pm

If God takes credit for this, he has to take credit for all the others who are kidnapped, raped, murdered..lets call it divine non-intervention…you cant have it both ways Christians..’

• CommonSense

January 30, 2015 at 2:08 am

My God forgive you

• CommonSense

January 30, 2015 at 2:09 am

May*

• RL

February 2, 2015 at 10:32 pm

You know when you said this I was nodding my head, fair point. But then I thought God isn’t responsible for rape, kidnap etc. Why should he be? Explain to me…Each human can choose to believe in something or not to, just as you do (evidence that we have free will to do as we please). I ask again, why should God be responsible for those crimes? Who exactly committed those crimes? God?

3. Phoebe

January 29, 2015 at 6:56 pm

Thank God for your life little man.. God is truly awesome!
    *on the side* I’m in the Choir and we’ll be singing this song on Sunday.. 🙂

4. Biobele

January 29, 2015 at 7:02 pm

Divine Intervention…

5. niri

January 29, 2015 at 7:02 pm

Divine intervention…….every praise is to out God *singing*

6. Ruth Atamenwan

January 29, 2015 at 7:08 pm

This is divine intervention. The child was praising God in the midst of trouble,, most children his age would cry but he did what he knew how to do best and praised God when there was trouble. Remember the story of paul and silas, they were in prison but still sang songs of praise and they were rescued by God’s divine intervention. Luck ain’t got nothing to do with this. He was miraculously saved. Praise the Lord.

7. @edDREAMZ

January 29, 2015 at 7:15 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Bros na luck o bcos if that guy get tape ur mouth for no talk untill una reach destination……
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

• opuingo

January 29, 2015 at 9:29 pm

He would have sang n his mind and God will still save him. He answers d desires of our heart Psalm 37 vrs 4

• dor-dor

January 30, 2015 at 9:50 am

Edwin- God, the one who knows the end from the beginning..didn’t allow his mouth to be taped and for him to be dropped close to where his god mother lived was divinely orchestrated -Nothing just happen!!Oluwa was involved *Wonthedoit

• NZ

January 30, 2015 at 10:20 am

Then the kidnapper should ve put a tape on his mouth…Why didn’t he?hmmm,calls for some thinking…there’s no such thing as luck..There is God!

8. i no send

January 29, 2015 at 7:33 pm

the power of God was unleashed thru that song simple

9. olu

January 29, 2015 at 7:48 pm

Both are the same really…..just depends on who’s talking.
    I choose to call it divine intervention. My choice

10. Dr.N

January 29, 2015 at 8:03 pm

Def. Divine

11. mimi

January 29, 2015 at 8:29 pm

exactly my point it was divine intervention that there his mouth was taped, it is also divine intervention that God gave him the boldness to praise even in the mist of trouble, it is also divine intervention that the song he sand irritated the kidnapper, it is also divine intervention that he was saved. so in conclusion God rescued him. is there anything that is too big for God, NO!! now even of he wasnt rescued, it will also be divine intervention that he would make heaven why? because that young boy has a heart for God and we all know Gods promises for his children….. a place of peace and not war; heaven!!!! Praise God. Amen!!!

12. mimi

January 29, 2015 at 8:30 pm

it was divine intervention that his mouth was not taped*

13. Fizz

January 29, 2015 at 8:44 pm

Another one of earths lessons. He was lured with money and was able to escape. Experience is the greatest teacher so hopefully now he knows better.
    But on a side note, kidnappers are now luring kids with money and not candy anymore…to me that says a lot about where we stand.

14. Dee

January 29, 2015 at 9:02 pm

That is what you call faith, even in a difficult situation he kept on praising God. I have learnt something value from this little boy , we as adults truly need to be more childlike and totally put our trust in Christ no matter the situation. Thank God for his life

15. uju

January 29, 2015 at 9:25 pm

this lil 9year old already wears ear studs??…Thank God for saving his life,Lord only knows what woulda happened if he kept mute. Definitely the hand of God.

16. Yemisi

January 29, 2015 at 9:35 pm

THERE IS GOD O!

17. debbi

January 29, 2015 at 10:22 pm

That’s God in action and I love that song

18. Mz Socially Awkward....

January 29, 2015 at 10:29 pm

God definitely intervened here. 🙂 That’s really amazing, I’m so glad he was given a way of escape because I don’t want to imagine the other outcomes his story could have had. Sickos lurking around neighbourhoods to steal children… nasty human beings.

And it’s worrying that he was lured away with money. Very worrying but I don’t know his circumstance and why money would have worked here instead of sweets or the other popular lure of, “I’m lost and looking for directions”. I hope he ID’d the perp, though, with enough details to sic the police on his trail.

That Hezekiah’s song (we jam to it regularly at my church too) is on point for giving thanks for this, because “Every Praise is to Our God!!”. 🙂 🙂

19. Concerned_Boyfriend

January 29, 2015 at 10:46 pm

This really resonates with me “If you praise the Lord he will help you in mysterious ways.” I just caught a revelation on that…Thank You Jesus!

20. tunmi

January 29, 2015 at 11:15 pm

Divine oh, undivined oh, even deviled eggs…
    I’m glad he’s safe and I’m guessing the kidnapper was not caught. Sad. I fear for the next victim

21. ibinabo

January 30, 2015 at 12:17 am

Definitely divine intervention. This story is similar to a story I was told in church when I was younger. The boy was released from the den of ritualists for singing a praise song

22. Duke

January 30, 2015 at 3:18 am

Christians will never cease to amaze me. Now its god’s intervention right?
    Ok so the chibok girls and the over 3000 people killed by Ebola…I guess god was too busy to intervene.
    Please people should just wake up and smell the coffee already.
    I am happy the boy was safe though but i believe it was perchance.

• niola

January 30, 2015 at 9:52 am

@ duke it is Divine intervention… There is good and there is evil, so these your issues blame all that on the Devil…

• C'est moi

January 30, 2015 at 12:54 pm

Why blame the devil for anything when most Christians are of the view that “Everything is divinely arranged by our Creator,” – Oluchy top comment.
      &
      God clearly states in his infallible divinely inspired book which Christians attest is the irrefutable word of God:
      Isaiah 45:7
      – I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and CREATE EVIL: I the LORD do all these things. (KJV – most accurate version)

• Ibinabo

January 30, 2015 at 3:50 pm

Yes my dear sometimes God may intervene (divine intervention) and at other times He may not, for reasons best known to him. Have you read about the death of John the baptist? If not then please do. Jesus didn’t save him, he died cause he had accomplished his purpose on earth and ascended to greater glory in heaven. For us Christians we see the bigger picture, our journey doesn’t end here on earth. This is just a transition to an even greater realm. That being said, I pray God ministers to your soul. Have a blessed day

23. integrity

January 30, 2015 at 8:43 am

It was Divine. Every battle is different. You cant compare this with chiboks girls. all the praise goes to God! Those that know their God will do exploits….! He was unstoppable by his praise..

24. Hurperyearmie

January 30, 2015 at 9:12 am

Their is power in the name of Jesus, Every Praise is one of my best song

25. Nully

January 30, 2015 at 9:44 am

Every praise to my God! my deliverer my helper, my healer. Thank you Jesus. you are ever faithful,

26. derhmy

January 30, 2015 at 10:01 am

at first i was almost distracted by the studs and the fact that the boy was lured with money…i almost closed the page thinking ‘these spoilt american children’ but somethig made me take a closer look at the whole story, 1. the boy was kidnapped from the front yard of his guardians Atlanta home…Note: Guardians not Parents! 2. He was raised by atheist PARENTS…So i wonder where His Parents were/are and why he was with guardians and why he is so close to his godmother who frequently takes him to church is also something to think about……….in summary, from my own little experience when a childs actual parents are not really present or involved in his/her life, theres usually a long and complicated story behind the whole thing: The lesson for me here is 1. Thank God for the opportunity to grow up in a stable home without having to battle with too many issues as a child or be exposed to getting seriously harmed in one way or the other, 2. Gods purpose for every man, woman and Child will always prevail which is why we can hear this little boys testimony today, DIVINE INTERVENTION IS REAL.

27. princesslizzy

January 30, 2015 at 11:04 am

God my saviour, God my healer, God my deliverer……… and you said He should not show up……………….He can’t but show up for this little kid.

28. Beamer

January 30, 2015 at 11:28 am

Its easy to ask what God was doing when other children were kidnapped and taken away or when they were being killed. We may not understand the factors that lead God to intervene in some matters and stay put in some, but the fact of the matter is that its not about what God does that makes him God, its about who he is. Plus, this little boy simply activated a spiritual principle. When you praise God, he shows up.

The knowledge of him is important.Where there is no knowledge of God, evil triumphs…Instead of asking questions like “where was God,” God might be asking us, “where were you?” We are the ones charged with the mandate of spreading the gospel after all.

How many people have you told about God today? How may people yesterday? when was the last time you told anyway about the saving power of the gospel? Each time we Christians keep silent, evil triumphs…

29. T.Girl

January 30, 2015 at 1:15 pm

I dunno y but i had tears in my eyes while watching the video….. so adorable, now i understand y the kidnaper had to let the kid go.

30. Korede

January 30, 2015 at 3:49 pm

Wow! Bella, you have a lot of non-believers on your blog oooh. (smiles)

31. Essy

January 30, 2015 at 4:28 pm

It was definitely God who saved the boy. HE is still in the business of protecting, healing and providing for those who believe and put their trust in him.

32. olabisi

January 30, 2015 at 4:50 pm

@beam…..’when you praise God, He shows up.

33. Gracie

January 31, 2015 at 7:02 am

For those who don’t believe in God, Can u just gave God a chance to prove that He exist to you. I dnt mean being religious but just seek to really know whether He’s truly God. You won’t regret ur mission. Hv never been d same since I made my own discovery. Loads of love!

34. tutu

January 31, 2015 at 8:45 pm

Definitely God! There’s no such thing as luck.

35. Sparks & Tingles

February 1, 2015 at 1:47 am

Kidnappers in Atlanta…I’m just curious. Were they going to ask for ransom or use him for money rituals the naija style?