News

John Obi Mikel is now a British Citizen

Nigeria v Argentina: Group F - 2014 FIFA World Cup BrazilIn 2014, it was revealed that Nigerian International/Chelsea FC footballer John Obi Mikel had applied for British Citizenship. This week, it has been revealed that Mikel is now officially a British Citizen!

According to a statement released to the Sun Newspaper – “Mikel was issued a Brit­ish passport last week, and he is very happy to be in the possession of the passport”

Mikel’s rep also added that “That’s very good news because he will no longer be counted as a foreign player in the Chelsea squad. All the obstacles that would have prevented him playing in Europe have been eliminated, especially in Italy.”

Fans of Chelsea need not worry about losing Mikel this season, his rep confirmed “Mikel is not leaving Chelsea in the January transfer window. He will only think about his future at the end of this season”

Photo Credit: Paul Gilham/Getty Images Sports

1. Niffy

January 20, 2015 at 9:29 am

Congratulations Obi

2. Ada

January 20, 2015 at 10:02 am

Awwww British passport.
    No be small thing o.
    Praise master Jesus!

3. Nike

January 20, 2015 at 10:03 am

Congratulations. Good news!

4. ATL's finest

January 20, 2015 at 10:19 am

Hmmmm I’m just here to read comments! Oh Congrats to him.

5. chimoh

January 20, 2015 at 10:41 am

lolzzzzzzzzzz, so what happens to his Nigerian citizenship? since he is eager and elated to become a British citizen. meanwhile i hope he gets to play for England’s senior team? hehehehehehehe because he just gave up his position in Nigeria’s National team. not like he did anything while he had the opportunity though!!!!!!!!!!!!! strolls around in the pitch like it was a child’s play

• Pee

January 20, 2015 at 10:47 am

Have u heard of “dual citizenship”? I guess not

• chimoh

January 21, 2015 at 10:08 am

lolzzzzzzzzz, @pee i sure do know what dual citizenship means, but you and i do know that you can’t serve two masters at a time. and from your innermost mind you do know that if he was told to choose between the two he would go for the British citizenship, that was what i meant when i said he had given up the Nigerian citizenship (literally). lolzzzzzzzz. No two you and I also know that even with his English citizenship he will never smell England’s national team lolzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Clifford

January 20, 2015 at 11:19 am

no way you’re this stupid in real life

• L

January 20, 2015 at 12:43 pm

red arrow! thumbs down

• chimoh

January 21, 2015 at 10:10 am

Clifford i hope you also know that sometimes real life stupid people also make valid points?????

• Jaygirl

January 24, 2015 at 11:10 am

Thanks Clifford, at least Chimoh has admitted he is indeed stupid

• Shade

January 20, 2015 at 12:55 pm

I am sure bellanaija intentionally posted this, so u get wat u deserve!!

6. jessica

January 20, 2015 at 10:44 am

I look forward to the day international stars will celebrate becoming Nigerian citizen

• Mz Socially Awkward...

January 20, 2015 at 11:29 am

I have a friend who’s always telling me, with mock seriousness, that he’ll always hold on to his Naija passport because he strongly believes that one day in the future there will be all races of human beings struggling to get that green pali because of the doors it’ll open.

My response used to be laughter but who knows what tomorrow holds for “we country”?

• Mohammad

January 20, 2015 at 12:41 pm

It could happen, but without a revolution, we are a long way away from it.

The rich and poor appear to live in completely different countries with hardly any middle ground; corruption and impunity so endemic that it fails to spark any kind of outrage anymore.

Unless something really terrible happens with the rest of the world, or some really serious change in mentality is forced upon us, people dying to become Nigerian citizens will remain a pipe dream.

It’s a shame as I love Nigeria but I expect more from “Africa’s largest economy”.

• Makalele

January 20, 2015 at 2:56 pm

Many Nigerians don’t realize that several people from all over the world are already scrambling for Nigerian citizenship – precisely because of the doors it opens for them! It is also through that Nigerian business visas is probably the visa category in Africa with the highest demand. We sometimes do not appreciate what we already have in this country. We tend to focus too much on the negatives….

• Mohammad

January 20, 2015 at 3:46 pm

If you’re a frequent traveller, you will understand the hassle of having to get tourist visas with a Nigerian passport to many places in the world. A British passport greatly helps to reduce this.

• Confuzzled

January 20, 2015 at 5:51 pm

Errm Mohammad I am a frequent traveller and its no problem for me.

• ATL's finest

January 20, 2015 at 6:01 pm

@ Mike thanks to me it wasn’t a big deal until I started noticing it when I travel because my cousin wasn’t a citizen yet. Especially with Nigerian p.port. I travel a lot &,the way folks act (customs) is so RIDIC! @ Ms socially Awkward lol @ your friend let’s see how long he holds on to it. After all , my brother got one at a point & said d same thing. Today nko? Mtchew story of my life.

7. Laura

January 20, 2015 at 12:31 pm

I have a dream that one day, everyone will be clamoring to get a Nigerian passport.

8. ks

January 20, 2015 at 1:42 pm

Welcome on board Mike. Now u know u have set a standard for your generations unborn below which they will never fall, long after ur career is over. That’s what I told my kids when I handed them theirs – what has a worth is worth waiting for.

9. Confuzzled

January 20, 2015 at 2:15 pm

To each is own, but it is a fact that MONEY is the true nationality that will get you anywhere you want to go in the world. The passport(s) you hold become a mere footnote when you’re wealthy. I’m kind of surprised Mikel went this route considering his supposedly well paid job, but like I said before, to each his own…

Afterall, there are US & UK citizens that are poor, that live out in the boondocks, or that have never travelled out of their home STATE (yes, I met two guys like this, O_0). That goes to show passport is not a guarantee for a good life. All these 1980s hustles need to stop abeg.

10. papermoon

January 20, 2015 at 2:49 pm

Maybe i dont understand it, but CONGRATULATION for getting British citizenship, why, what is so special? I wont mind some education though……..

• ATL's finest

January 20, 2015 at 5:52 pm

Lmao! He’s visa free to anywhere in the world, except to Afrivsn Countries. Let’s hope he’s smart enough to keep his Nigerian Passport and be a dual citizen is if British allows it I don’t know. Its allowed in America. He’s got to renew it every 10yrs, he can work for British government. Let’s just say its got a lot of benefit. I have never applied for a visa nowhere because I have always had a European and American p.port (thnx to my parents). But those that have applied for visas, Chsiii them say no b beans and you can still be denied at d end of it. Trust me when I tell U that trying to be Nationalized in a foreign country don’t come over night or easy. Folks will die to had it especially in Europe. Having a resident permit is like hell whole for some. Hope this helps Mr. Papermoon

• papermoon

January 21, 2015 at 9:45 am

Thanks ATL”s finest for letting me know it comes with traveling convinience………

11. papermoon

January 20, 2015 at 2:58 pm

Eeeeiiiiii Bellanaija, the symbol or icon against my PAPERMOON has changed colour to blue why…….i love the red.

12. Aikay

January 20, 2015 at 3:00 pm

nice one…Congrats obi.
    latestupdates247.com

13. ks

January 20, 2015 at 3:35 pm

@confuzzled, @papermoon British passport, American passport only complememt what u have — not what you don’t deserve. So even if u have both and all u do is sit ur ass down at home to eat bacon &cheese all day and lie thru ur teeth to commit benefit fraud, you will be poorer than an orphan in Ajegunle. @papermoon is that enough education ??and @confuzzled, u expect benefit money to pay forvacations around the globe??? Good luck with that!! Mikel is rich, the passport only makes life so much easier for him and his family. You can thank me later for enlightening u both. Bye!!!

• Confuzzled

January 20, 2015 at 5:55 pm

My dear please read for comprehension. Go up and re-read my comments after you’ve had something to eat ok?

• papermoon

January 21, 2015 at 9:48 am

ks, i think we are on the same page ooo. I thought there was nothing special about it since you still have to work for everything anyway…………. But ATL’s finest makes me understand it makes traveling easier.

14. nene

January 20, 2015 at 4:58 pm

finally. he got what he wanted. jisike mikel.

15. ashanko

January 23, 2015 at 2:30 am

Wow! One day I believe I will also be a British citizen

16. Grace

May 22, 2015 at 10:42 pm

I wonder if he used his child in his application maybe he wanted to have the same passport as him

17. December Wind

December 19, 2015 at 10:04 am

Not like dude has been genuinely patriotic. .. abeggi