Music

Queen Ahneva Adegeye: “It’s Not Easy to Be One of King Sunny Ade’s Many Wives”

TW-7th-Anniversary-October2014-BellaNaija0073King Sunny Ade is one music legend who has been able to maintain his home with many wives.

One of his wives, an African-American woman, Queen Ahneva Adegeye has opened up about what it’s like to be married to KSA – she also touches on the fact that she came to Nigeria as a result of her love for Africa.

In an interview with Punch Newspaper, she talks love, fashion, Africa and more.

Read excerpts from her interview below:

On fashion: I have always loved fashion and African fashion in particular. I was the President of Black Students Union when I was in high school. One of the mandates for my presidency was to create events that would help connect African Americans to the African heritage. It was mandatory for you to wear something African to every event. I found myself making all sorts of African wears and dresses.

On returning to Africa: I always had this drumming in my ear even when I was a little girl. I would always hear the sound ‘boom boom boom’ in my ears. It was the sound of a drum. It was an African rhythm. I would tell my parents about it. My father told me one day that my ancestors were the ones calling me back home. When I first got to Nigeria, I knelt down as soon as I stepped out of the aircraft, I prostrated and I kissed the ground. I was so drawn to being home and I was happy I kissed the ground. I went to the slave dungeons in Cape Coast, Ghana. I was there with the Association for Study of African Classical Civilisation. We had a symposium and part of our tour was to go to the slave dungeon. The women among us went to the prison where the females were kept. There was a door of ‘no return’ that all of our ancestors went out through when they were sold. They said anybody who went out from that door never came back home. I was supposed to go with everybody else after that session but I didn’t.

On meeting KSA: I was his designer. I was making all his wears. Anytime he came to the US, I would dance on the stage and put a crown that I designed for him on his head. We just had something going on.

On marrying KSA: I didn’t choose him, he chose me. We chose each other. Everything is in divine order. When my girlfriend said I should follow her to watch a juju artiste performing at UCLA, I was mesmerised. I hadn’t heard of him before. He was cute and he had dreamy eyes. He spoke the African language and I was blown away. My friend said I should come back stage and meet him and I went. It was a natural connection. I wasn’t pushing up on him anyway. He so much captivated me and got me going.

On polygamy: If I had thought about it real strong and real long, I probably wouldn’t have married him. It is not the easiest thing to be ‘one of’ but you love who you love. He has a beautiful spirit and a wonderful heart. You just can’t help but love him. He has a way of treating all his wives like queens. When I am around, I feel like the only one and I am sure when the others are around, they feel like the only one. That is the magic for a man who has learnt how this polygamy thing works. The only thing I cry about most nights is being by myself a lot. He is absent all the time because he is always on the road and doing his music. That is what he loves and I cannot mess with that. It is what makes him happy. He is not possessed by any of his wives; he is possessed by his music. That is the truth. That is the only thing that I know that he lives for. He loves his music. I go to his shows and when he starts praising me, I feel on top of the world. I love it when he does that.

On the other wives: We are very cool. There are some I consider myself ‘cooler’ with than the others. Their kids are like mine. We love one another. They understand that I am not getting more than they are getting. We try to be as supportive as possible; there is no hate. There is no foul word or ugly look. We always come together when we have to. Sunny is endeared by what he does. Nigerians love him as much as we do. We don’t ever think we would compete with his love for his music. I try to keep myself busy so I don’t feel too lonely.

You can read up her full interview here.

1. EllesarisEllendil

January 17, 2015 at 7:18 pm

How polygamy should be, try to see yourselves as one family. Better to uphold our culture than be an adulterer. P.S I say “our culture” as an Igbo, I am well aware they’re many Nigerian and African cultures that practiced monogamy pre-European contact.

• Surely

January 18, 2015 at 3:52 am

But can you see that only the women are suffering in all this? Until polygamy and POLYANDRY are both accepted, then it is not fair!

• EllesarisEllendil

January 18, 2015 at 4:22 pm

You realise that women outnumber men?? even making an adjustment for lesbians, there will still be far more women than men. Polyandry will never be mainstream, has never been will never be, rather encourage women to embrace education and they won’t be taken advantage of.

• Laura

January 19, 2015 at 9:23 am

Why is there this sudden need for equality in everything among men and women, whats the competition?

2. spoonfullofsugar

January 17, 2015 at 7:42 pm

I wanted to come and yab this woman but she sounds so intelligent and self assured. All I can say is na wa!

3. lala

January 17, 2015 at 9:18 pm

Yeah right lady!! I guess sharing is caring. Sunny Ade must have gotton his green card or American passport by now, lol.

• Amy

January 18, 2015 at 2:15 pm

And what does he need the green card or American passport for? Does it give life or make him more comfortable? Don’t be so ignorant.

4. Carliforniabawlar

January 17, 2015 at 9:26 pm

I’ve met KSA and while i won’t marry him, I can attest to his charm! Chai! I was mesmerized o, small girl like me to old papa… But I kept peeping his smile. 😉
    He is one of those guys that if they start toasting you, and you know you don’t want to do, just carry your kaya and FLEE, else you’d wake up with 3kids wondering how you got there lol.

• Ikido

January 17, 2015 at 10:28 pm

#SideChick!

• Carliforniabawlar

January 18, 2015 at 3:00 am

??!

Oh I see, new word for you…pele dear.

5. HAWT TALK WITH TOSAN

January 17, 2015 at 9:28 pm

For those who have the heart for it, polygamy isn’t such a bad thing. Free babysitting, you don’t have to cook everyday, If you not in the mood you don’t have to fake an orgasm. What’s not to love?

• tunmi

January 17, 2015 at 10:24 pm

Tosan, Tosan, Tosan lmao

• Tosin

January 18, 2015 at 6:52 pm

Tosin <3 Tosan

6. bruno

January 17, 2015 at 9:52 pm

I know her type. black people who want to be african by force. they want to be in touch with their african roots. lol I see them a lot. black people in america who are very afro centric, they change their name, change their style of clothing etc. smh

we should uphold our culture? that a man can gather women like property, in this day were hiv and stds are rampant. and pls stop making excuses for a man who cheats.

no reasonable woman will ever agree to be a second wife.

• chi-e-z

January 17, 2015 at 11:00 pm

Well she has found her roots and knows where she belongs with us. PS it’s not just African Americans but Africans in Carribeans, other african[non nigerian], South American that need to find their roots and I’m the product of such love for African roots with full igbo name no one could ever suspect that my whole paternal side is of nigerian polygamy family raised outside nigeria [ in other african and european countries] whose children after father past all found their way back to their Nigerian roots. And me as naija confam as I am thank goodness for that longing to come back home [where you belong]. Polygamy just like monogamy is a choice as long as safety is practiced and respect is maintained it can work just for me I know I’m too selfish and randy all the time to be lonely so I’d have to pass on polygamy if it’s for only the man.

• Surely

January 18, 2015 at 3:54 am

You don’t know her type. I don’t think you’ve ever had interactions with anyone from outside Nigeria so SIT.

• bruno

January 18, 2015 at 10:27 am

@surely, are u PAINED?. LOL

• Meira

January 18, 2015 at 10:53 am

“African by force” you sound stupid. African by blood. Try again.

7. Caligula

January 18, 2015 at 11:16 am

She’s sounds intelligent, confident and she’s very honest! I can see why KSA got with her

8. bruno

January 18, 2015 at 11:47 am

whether u like it or not african americans are very different from africans.

9. Anonymous

January 18, 2015 at 5:39 pm

I’m quite sure if God had planned for polygamy He would have created Adam,Eve,Mimi,Nikita,vickola etc. He also didn’t say “its not good that man be alone so I’ll make him a “COUPLE OF HELPS” meet. He specifically said “HELP MEET” & gave him Eve,one woman. He further said “for this cause shall a man leave His father and mother and cleave to his WIFE” not WIVES”. Polygamous men should kindly desist from making excuses for their insatiable greed and lust for women by speaking about ratio etc and women!i’ll never understand why you choose to settle for 2nd,3rd,4th,5th etc best. But then,I guess it’s a choice thing. Whatever makes you happy,I guess.

• princess lulu

January 19, 2015 at 5:51 am

you are very smart….

10. Tosin

January 18, 2015 at 6:33 pm

She is lovely, a magical, magnetic person. My idea of an amazon. She is lonely too. If I was a sharp guy… lifelib.blogspot.com/2015/01/three-sisters.html I’d swoop in like move over King Sunny 🙂

11. akinwumi bamidele

January 19, 2015 at 10:35 am

@ anon 5:39pm you are ignorant. Let me ask you a question; if KSA didn’t marry them women tell me who will marry them? Or how many man die single unless he wanted to e.g reverend father? So be wise and use your Iq to measure and reason outcome of any situation you find human being in…. Don’t zero your thought on religious believes that’s pure and utter ignorance peace.

• Anonymous

January 19, 2015 at 2:35 pm

Considering your use of terms shows your lack of depth not only as a human being but a man. That some folks choose or opt for a certain way of life does not negate the standards set by God and if you are learned enough (which your written English shows your aren’t plus your inability to proof read) you will know His laws are also the foundation of most laws in countries of the world. Kindly wash your mouth properly and think before your spill shit from your balls. NITWIT.

12. ij

January 19, 2015 at 10:39 am

Truly there is no template for happiness, i beg live your life.

13. spoonfullofsugar

January 21, 2015 at 9:52 am

@EllesarisEllendil, women do not outnumber men. Google is your friend.

14. Damilola

August 6, 2015 at 12:16 pm

I wonder why people keep saying women out number men. Where did they get the data?

15. Sandra Izsadore

September 25, 2016 at 5:13 pm

Having been a friend to both Ahneva Ahneva and King Sunny Ade, I feel as though I am qualified to speak on this . I met Sunny first on my trip to Nigeria when FELA introduced me to him. I also had the privileged of working with him in London. I met Ahneva Ahneva at my home for the first time when I gave the After Party for Sunny, that was in the early to mid eighties. I know for a fact that they have been an item since that time. I wish to commend my sister because I know she loves from the heart and I wish her well. To be a wife among many is not easy. Deep down knowing you are not the only exclusive one is a very hard road to walk. I agree with Ahneva Ahneva there are many lonely nights, this is something I witnessed while living inside Kalakuta, Ahneva Ahneva has handled this situation well. She has her own career and business living fabulously well in Leke. Stay strong my sister.