News

‘This Is Not the Nigeria THEY Fought For’ – Alex Ekubo Shares Disappointment over Nigeria’s Current State

BellaNaija.com

Alex EkuboIt’s #ThrowbackThursday and Alex Ekubo is taking time out to reflect deeply via his Instagram page.

The Nollywood star shared a picture from his childhood as well as a long reflective message about how he grew up and where he has gotten to in life.

He said:

‘Have you seen my Childhood? I Miss growing up,i miss the Good Old days & the things that made it the “Good Old days”. Simple things like the peace in my country. i’m from Abia born in Port Harcourt,bred in Lagos, schooled in Katsina,lived in Kano,Attended University in Calabar,i travelled the length & breathe of Nigeria without the fear of a Bomb Explosion or being Kidnapped, now i can’t even go &drink sweet natural palm wine & eat ugba in my village for fear of my Safety, i’m typing this with tears in my eyes wondering why my brothers who haven’t met me yet to know what a fun guy i am, want me Dead simply because i’m from a different ethnic group & because i worship the same God but under a different building. Growing up i watched on CNN the war in other countries & asked my dad “Daddy why are they killing each other” even as a boy, It didn’t make sense to me, not knowing thats years later a little white boy in America would watch my brothers & i display on tv & ask his dad the same question. To which his dad would dismiss with the wave of a hand or a shrug & continue pouring milk in his cereal, unperturbed, not knowing that btw when the question was asked & the last drop of milk hit the cereal bowl, i have lost a number of unmet family members in yet another senseless Bomb Explosion. Surely my “Father” the Great Nnamdi Azikwe & my Uncle Tafawa Balewa & Uncle Awolowo are rolling in their graves right now! For this is NOT the Nigeria they fought for. Every time we kill a Nigerian Child, we kill a future Inventor, World Leader & Movie/Music Star. Let us take a moment & remember the simple things that made us happy in the “Good old days” & restore our glory as the Pride & Giant of Africa. Any Man/Woman that gives me a gun this coming Election to go & kill my Brothers if he will not join me in arm or point to me his blood children in the battle front, then i will take the gun & shoot his left leg so he can crawl back to his fellow Elders & tell them My Brother & I have had Enough, we are Wiser!! When our past is looking brighter than our Future, i look up with tears in my eyes & ask HAVE YOU SEEN MY CHILDHOOD?
#EnoughIsEnough #BringBackMyChildhood #VoteNotFight!!’

His followers have also shared their views on the subject:

Alex 1 Alex 2

Photo Credit: Instagram

1. Busarni

February 5, 2015 at 5:33 pm

Hmm, Alex O. If you actually wrote this; then you are one great writer. Great piece, i feel like crying.

• nene

February 5, 2015 at 5:47 pm

gbam! great piece indeed and all he said is true

2. bimpe

February 5, 2015 at 5:36 pm

My perspective on him has completely changed. Such a great read, I do also like the fact he has referred to boko haram has our brothers. It’s the honest truth. Thanks for helping me restore my faith in humanity

3. prince

February 5, 2015 at 5:43 pm

hmmmmmm, amazing words there. this is food for thought. #votenotfight

4. JAY

February 5, 2015 at 5:55 pm

TRUE…JONAH FAILED

5. simdamsel

February 5, 2015 at 6:20 pm

wow…….. GOD bless u with this amazing write up.

6. I'm right

February 5, 2015 at 7:02 pm

The sad thing is that, he may have had a good deserving growing up But as a a child growing up in the southeast, all i can remember is the countless number of time i was chased out town by the Nigerian soldiers during the military rregimes. Sleeping in the forest for months and having our houses and properties destroyed.

7. Mizzy

February 5, 2015 at 7:29 pm

It’s so sad dt I don’t av d words 2 describe aw shocked I am 2 bliv dt Nigeria is in dis state. We pray dt our land b healed

8. @edDREAMZ

February 5, 2015 at 7:35 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Vote for Buhari for this life we once miss to comeback to us…..
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

9. hawttalkwithtosan.blogspot.ca

February 5, 2015 at 9:33 pm

On point.

10. BEAUTIFULNBLESSED

February 5, 2015 at 10:41 pm

YOU HAVE SPOKEN WELL MY DEAR……….

11. loveme

February 6, 2015 at 9:27 am

Wow i am so impressed by ur words. i see u now in a different perspective and i didnt knw u were this sensitive. I am from Cameroon and i feel the pain as much as u do bc the effects are felt here too with the many killings. I hope this terrorist group can be eradicated asap. May God bless

12. joe

February 7, 2015 at 5:07 pm

Alexx Has just touched the hearts of many. including me from Cameroon..The killing is too much and it is affecting us here in Cameroon,we share the pain of our brothers and cry for help each and everyday..But the is one thing for sure,God is watching..God’s ways are not ours..for the is a balm in Gilead..and one day all this act of terrorism will come to an end..

13. Lusciouskels

February 8, 2015 at 3:23 am

Yea I feel you a lot Alex.. And yes my fellow commenters he is a great guy with soul unlike what many may believe, ran into him at the airport this past December, while waiting for our flights he gave me his time which is priceless..thanks once again Alex

Advocating for peace does not make us foolish or a weakly, rather portrays how wise and strong we are!!__said this because I was forced to listen to two of my colleagues argue baselessly beside me, and the one from Edo made a comment that struck me up to give him that response, he said “Igbo’s are always afraid and that is why there don’t want to fight and have all ran down to the east…” I that is never biased but understands my people’s orientation as “Ndubuisi” had to chip in…