Style

Denola Grey: From How to Take A Selfie to Unusual Menswear Items! Here are 5 Tips to Help the Guys Out

I must admit, men in Nigeria have really stepped up their game!

Riding the high of the AMVCAs, where a lot of our celebs definitely brought their A-game, I decided it is important for the average Nigerian man to not only learn how to take a great selfie, but also learn how to incorporate some unusual menswear items like the cravat and sneakers into their outfits.

So check it out and get inspired!

1. A great tailored suit never goes out of style

Denola Grey Menswear Tips - BellaNaija - March 2015003

The amazing thing about Nigeria is that most of our menswear designers offer bespoke tailoring. We now officially have no excuse to leave the house will ill-fitting, frumpy suits. Yay!

It’s a worthy investment guys – drop a few coins on at least one suit, and build your collection from there. While you’re at it, watch the movie ‘ Kingsmen’ you will love suits after that.

2. When wearing sneakers, do it right

Denola Grey Menswear Tips - BellaNaija - March 2015

I must admit I’ve never been a fan of the casual look, especially with sneakers. My resolve has always been to find preppy looking shoes, buy them in my exact size or half a size smaller.

However, my tune recently changed. I have finally seen the light – sneakers are so comfortable! I fully understand why, as men, we want to wear them all the time. Of course, with me, I have some boundaries.

If you are going to indulge in sneakers, at least ensure that they are a dressy pair. Stray from the conventional ‘canvas’, and opt for something with a nicer fabric. Suede sneakers with leather laces are good, or you can even get leather sneakers.

3. Get some cravat-titude

Denola Grey Menswear Tips - BellaNaija - March 2015004

It’s not for everybody, but I can confirm that a cravat (which is like a scarf) is definitely less constricting and more unexpected than a tie or bowtie.

I’m making my own cravat rules and adding it to my casual outfits as a ‘wildcard’ accessory.

4. The distressed shoe is finally done

Denola Grey Menswear Tips - BellaNaija - March 2015002

Once upon a time, it was cool to wear shoes that had visible wear and tear on them, but thankfully that trend is coming to an end. Footwear is for men as makeup and a statement purse is for women.

I heard from a group of girl that they can usually tell a lot about a man based on his choice of footwear, so you definitely want something with structure and a subtle elegance. You want footwear that shows you are not ‘trying too hard’, but that you also take pride in your appearance in the most ‘chill’ way possible.

5. Learn how to take a selfie
I know you’re probably thinking “what’s my business with selfies?” Guys, lets be honest, in this current dating pool and social media age, your Instagram, Facebook etc is your best marketing tool.

The staple selfie for the average guy is usually that direct upward view up your face, but there are other ways to achieve a great selfie.

Denola Grey Menswear Tips - BellaNaija - March 2015005

Look for a natural face light, press that button and watch your stock increase tenfold.

Denola Grey Menswear Tips - BellaNaija - March 2015006

***

Be sure to let me know what menswear tip you hold dear so we can learn together. Till next time y’all. Keep up the good work!

P.S: Denola is wearing Ermenogildo Zegna in these pictures.

Denola Grey is a media content generator. Denola Grey started his blog, www.denolagrey.com in June 2014. It consists of his thoughts, personal experiences, and style choices as he navigates his way through life. Denola has worked at PR Consulting New York and a fashion journalist for Genevieve. Denola alternates between working on his blog and other freelance projects.

1. prince

March 26, 2015 at 9:49 am

Thank you Dee. your tips are always helpful. I always look forward to your posts on instagram.

• Osa

March 28, 2015 at 12:52 am

Why does he go by that ridiculous ‘surname’ (when abnormally matched with his first name?)
      Is he that ashamed of his ‘funny sounding’ real surname – Adepetu? Come to think of it, sounds funny tho. lol
      Goodness gracious, we Africans! I guess he is still below 24, that perhaps makes him still a childy child child.

2. S!

March 26, 2015 at 10:40 am

Mr. Fashionista stop pin rolling your jeans, it make you look juvenile. Taper them instead.

• Beeeee

March 26, 2015 at 11:06 am

Lol…I was going to talk about the rolling too, cos my husband would never step out like that…infact, he would not even roll up his jeans indoors…..

3. Yes!

March 26, 2015 at 10:42 am

Selfies! Nigerians effeminise the simplest things. Boys please learn how to take a selfie. A good selfie can change you from Obalende weight lifter to gym instructor.

• onyx

March 26, 2015 at 11:36 am

hahahaha!! lmao @obalende weight lifter to gym instructor! I’m dead! lol

4. Ayodele A. Ojo

March 26, 2015 at 10:59 am

If you had only one choice of colour to wear for the rest of your life, what colour would you choose and why?

• Nonso

March 26, 2015 at 12:47 pm

BLACK. Because. Chic.

• Beeeee

March 26, 2015 at 12:55 pm

Yellow, because i am dark chocolate (hehehehehe) and it enhances my skin tone 😀

5. Blackbeauty

March 26, 2015 at 10:59 am

Quick question referencing his first picture. When a guy is dressed formally, should’nt he wear socks?

• Anon

March 26, 2015 at 11:56 am

He ,may differ. I think it depends on the shoes, the style of trousers (tapered or straight) and the length of trousers.

6. Fashionfreak

March 26, 2015 at 12:13 pm

Anon, you’re very right .. Some shoes cannot be worn with socks ( or can be work with invisible socks) the suit look is not alll the way formal it’s semi formal in its own right . With socks ,it’s ok to make your own rules . Good job Denola ! Keep sticking to your guns!yoire doing really well

7. bruno

March 26, 2015 at 1:50 pm

dear denola, where do u shop? (don’t tell me Balogun) lol

• LOL

March 26, 2015 at 2:31 pm

What kain question be that?! Look at man’s living room or is that the lounge from his bedroom.

8. Andriano

March 26, 2015 at 4:07 pm

Poorly tailored Trousers. The stitching on the left trouser leg is no good..

9. peyton

March 26, 2015 at 4:59 pm

Aaah I yearn for the days men dressed like men, all this new fad for men is a no-no for me. Seriously howto take selfies??? People have time sha. I guess you have your target audience.

10. Anon

March 26, 2015 at 5:12 pm

Learn how to take a selfie?

The way you described it is too much of a hassle.

Buy a selfie stick and you are good to go!

Selfie stick? Yuck. But for people who love selfies, good luck…

11. RealityCheck

March 27, 2015 at 2:31 am

I actually can’t believe boys now want to be learning how to take selfies?? I tire for this world for real. BN approved this? Mogbe. There is just something feminine about selfies I beg. Girls never learn finish.