Scoop

Halima Abubakar Talks Starting the Colour Blocking Trend, Bleaching, Her Biggest Fashion Error & More!

Halima Abubakar (3)Nollywood star Halima Abubakar was interviewed by Punch Newspaper in their weekend papers and actress talks about several things including the fact that she started the colour blocking trend, her fashion style & errors, bleaching, her curves and more.

Read excerpts from her interview below:

On her dream job: Actually, I thought I was going to become a lawyer because I love arguing. I also developed the passion for football and thought I would become a footballer at a point in my life. I had a lot of passion while I was growing up and I was confused at a point about what I wanted to become in life.

On her regrets: I see the success and money footballers are making. Also, footballers are making a lot of impact in the world. I am equally grateful for my chosen career in acting. I am proud of where the industry has taken us. I might not be rich but I am very knowledgeable.

On being a trendsetter: I am definitely a trendsetter. I’m eccentric and weird in my style. Sometimes, I don’t get it right but I am happy with the result. I’m always glad that I’m not copying anyone. In fact people copy me. When I started colour blocking, it was just for the fun of it and not because I did not know that I should not have more than three colours on my outfit… People were criticizing me but shortly after, they started doing the same thing. At a point, I outgrew that phase. I just believe people judge too much.

On bleaching: I had a burn and it is still healing. I had an accident about two years ago when I was cooking and hot palm oil splashed on my legs, laps and part of my hand. I used ‘ori’ (shea butter) for the other parts but for some parts, I would need to bleach it out. I have not even started the procedure and people are saying that I am bleaching already. People might not believe me but it is the truth. Even when I have a new ring, I cannot show it off because people tend to just see my hands and conclude that I bleach. They can keep talking but they don’t know what I went through. I was nursing the injuries for over two months and I did not leave my house.

On her fashion weakness: It is definitely shoes. When I was growing up, I did not have so many shoes. Now that I am grown, I think I overdo it because I have a room full of shoes in my house and my friends call it the shoe boutique. I have over 400 pairs of shoes and my mother has warned me against buying anymore because most of them still have their labels on them. I give them out a lot to my fans.

On being curvy: For me, it has a lot of disadvantages because people think I am fat because my bum is big. I am a small lady but because I am curvy, I look short. It could be so annoying when someone says I should lose weight because I am fat. When someone’s stomach is big, there are reasons for it. I have ulcer but they conclude that I eat too much.

You can read up her full interview here.

Photo Credit: Instagram/halimabubakar

1. Mizzy

March 22, 2015 at 7:01 pm

Issorai

2. S!

March 22, 2015 at 7:18 pm

Please this lady should learn to keep quiet more often. How would you open your mouth and say such nonsense? You started color blocking ke???

3. Linsey

March 22, 2015 at 7:18 pm

I have heard you madam trendsetter

4. Olatunde Kenny

March 22, 2015 at 7:31 pm

u should av gone 4 football,coz u ar jes forcing ursef to act.or beta still go 4 training in acting

5. Marlvina

March 22, 2015 at 7:42 pm

okay!

6. mrs chidukane

March 22, 2015 at 7:43 pm

Wow,Halima Abubakar started color blocking? Interesting

7. Val

March 22, 2015 at 8:09 pm

She’s bleaching becos hot oil poured on her. Her tummy is big becos she has ulcer, etc. Too many excuses nd blames. Stop BLEACHING! Work on your TUMMY period.

8. bruno

March 22, 2015 at 8:41 pm

halima abubakar, u started the colour blocking trend, how? something women have been doing ever since, before nigeria even got her independence.

who are u sef? who u be?

I swear to god, if not for bellanaija, I will not know who u are or what u do for a living?

hot palm oil splashed on, blah blah blah, every bleacher has a back story to tell. tufia

ur weakness is having 400 pairs of shoes? REALLY? local girl, shut ur mouth, let somebody hear word.

so shallow and empty.

• Anna

December 18, 2015 at 5:12 pm

you don’t need to finish her like this who are you to speack like that to people if she is bleaching its her own body , her own skin its not your pb !

9. Nne007

March 22, 2015 at 9:02 pm

All I hear is excuses….. Your tummy is big because u have ulcer, na only u get ulcer? If u don’t know how to style yourself, please get a stylist cos u never get it right never.

10. o

March 22, 2015 at 10:08 pm

Aburo GEJ; in the shoe department

11. kenora

March 22, 2015 at 10:30 pm

This girl is high for real

12. bee

March 22, 2015 at 11:07 pm

eewwww she sounds so unintelligent! i am not for cyber bullying,but ma’am @your age,this is what you are all about, is this what your mates are talking/doing???? goodness!!! kontinuuuu so gbo,madam color blocking!

13. MrsID

March 22, 2015 at 11:18 pm

This interview is hilarious, she sounds like a JS2 student, no depth or insight…..#Basic…….

14. Fleur

March 22, 2015 at 11:25 pm

Halimat- ulcers don’t make tummies big and bleaching will make your scars more prominent. You cannot depigment 99% of your skin to balance out a scar on less than 1% of your body.

15. Ella

March 22, 2015 at 11:41 pm

NNe i nwekwa nnoo answer to every queshun, reason to y everything is happening. Nawa oo. U should’ve ended up being a lawyer madam misyarner, MTSCHEWW

16. Jaygirl

March 23, 2015 at 12:28 am

Please who is this lady again?

17. jay

March 23, 2015 at 1:35 am

“Actually, I thought I was going to become a lawyer because I love arguing.” do people still say this?? Arguing blindly won’t make a good lawyer dear..it takes MUCH more than that.

18. fleur

March 23, 2015 at 2:54 am

HaIimat- You don’t need to bleach 99% of ya skin to fix burn scars on less than 1% . You will cause yasef grief that is far worse than what you are getting emotionally because of the scars.

19. sOLO ACT

March 23, 2015 at 7:29 am

somebody needs to tell her that colour blocking don pass ooo

20. concerned

March 23, 2015 at 7:54 am

Halima, which school did you attend?

21. rash

March 23, 2015 at 9:17 am

And I do not love her fashion sense at all

22. ife

March 23, 2015 at 10:29 am

I finally found the perfect example for “story for the gods”. Her replies depicts shallowness and lack of cognitive engagement.. her issues apparently run very deep and I believe this features and baseless interviews just keep encouraging her to spew baseless and utterly annoying words around.

23. jhennique

March 23, 2015 at 11:25 am

LMAOOOOOOOOO! Wait first of all does she know what regrets are??
    Madam i can see your black knuckles despite the poor resolution of this picture. Who doesnt or hasnt gotten burns while cooking.
    My sister had a whole pot of simmering groundnut oil poured all over her legs. i mean all over. Salt and ori has faded every single bit of the scars and no, it didnt change her from fair to white.
    Do people even listen to themsleves talk? what sort of unintelligent rubbish is this?

• Licia

March 23, 2015 at 3:13 pm

Hi Jhennique
      i read your comment about salt and ori making scar disappear, can you enlighten me more as i have this hot water scar and have used different things but has not really disappeared. Will this work for old scars? kindly advise.

• Inee

March 24, 2015 at 7:05 am

@ jhennique, pls help a sister. Did your sister mix the Ori and salt together and apply it on her body?

24. brownchocolate

March 23, 2015 at 12:31 pm

Sometimes I wonder where the problem lies. In the interviewers, the interviewees or the media? Help!

25. Helena

March 23, 2015 at 9:15 pm

she didn’t bleach?? it cool!!
    Dencia didn’t bleach too 😉

26. Helena

March 23, 2015 at 9:16 pm

*its cool

27. Helena

March 23, 2015 at 11:39 pm

she did not bleach?? its cool!!
    Dencia did not bleach too… abi her own is vegetable oil, ahaaaahaa 😀

28. cleo

March 25, 2015 at 10:58 am

I actually love her innocence and naivety. The way she talks you will just know instantly she does not know better. She should take steps to improve herself cos she has got potential. Your acting, dressing talking all need help. Boobs spilling and tight ought outfits, not to mention mismatched outfits don’t make good dress sense. Please get help for it.
    Since Jan 2015 all i see you do is snap pictures in front of your cars. No movie location things. Sign you need to step up Love you girl but the truth does not sound loving.