News

Joy, Tragedy…Hope. Mother of Quadruplets dies during Childbirth, Family receives over $300k in Donations to Help Raise Them

Carlos Erica Quads
Erica Morales and her husband Carlos had struggled for years to get pregnant and their dream came true when they finally conceived after fertility treatment.

Erica was pregnant with quadruplets (4 babies) and looking forward to being a mother at last.

Carlos and Erica met at a nightclub in Scottsdale, Arizona, in 2006. He shared their love story with People Mag

“I didn’t speak any English and she didn’t speak any Spanish,” “But I asked her to dance and she said yes”. He only found out later that Erica, a real estate agent, ended up throwing out a piece of paper he gave her that night with his number scribbled on it. But through mutual friends, they saw each other again, and this time, they didn’t part ways.

He knew right away he wanted to marry her. Erica learned Spanish, Carlos learned English, and in 2007 they got married in Las Vegas.

“We also really wanted to have a baby,” says Carlos. “So we started to try right away.”

After experiencing a miscarriage, which Carlos says “was beyond devastating,” they found out Erica was pregnant last June after undergoing fertility treatment.

Carlos and Erica QuadsQuad Surprise
Carlos tells People;

When she went for her first sonogram, she found out she wasn’t just having one baby, but four. “Her doctor told her she had to just relax,” Carlos says. “So that’s exactly what she did.” Carlos cooked, cleaned and made sure Erica stayed off her feet. Erica’s mother moved into their house to help them. Doctors closely monitored Erica, who was healthy throughout her pregnancy.

Tragically, her blood pressure became elevated to 190/90 blood pressure and she was rushed to the hospital.

“The doctor said she was having too many contractions so it was time to deliver the babies,” Carlos says. “We took pictures before she went into the delivery room, made some videos, and she was surrounded by family and friends. I said to her, ‘Let’s get these babies out.’ “

The couple also discussed names. They settled on Carlos Jr. for the boy and Tracey and Paisley for the two girls. Erica couldn’t decide on the other girl’s name. They thought they had plenty of time to figure it out.

Tragedy
On the 16th of January 2015, at 31 weeks pregnant, she delivered three girls and a boy at the Banner Good Samaritan Hospital in Phoenix, Arizona but hours later, Erica went into hypovolemic shock and passed away. She never got a chance to hold her babies in her arms.

Her husband and entire family fell into a state of mourning but they had to stay strong for the 4 babies (Carlos Jr, Paisley, Tracy, and Erica) who needed all their love and care.

Quads homeHope
2 months later, Carlos is back home with all 4 of the quads. He is working hard to care for his children and thanks to kindhearted strangers, has received over $360,000 in donations raised via their GoFundMe page.

One of the last messages Erica posted on Facebook still inspires him.

‘I always want more but sometimes you just have to sit back and thank God for blessing up to this point and put it fully in his hands. Thanks for the prayers and everything else.’

As for their plans for the future, Carlos says it is hard to say. The devout Catholic says his faith has helped him through so far. He tells People Mag;

“When I’m alone at home I still tell myself that I hope I’m dreaming…Erica was the most special person in the world and she should be here to love her babies.” Just recently he found a note that she had written on her iPad. She had jotted down her dreams for her children to go to college, speak both English and Spanish and to have good jobs. He says he will try his best to make that happen.

Photo Credit: Facebook | GoFundMe

1. oy

March 18, 2015 at 10:58 am

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. cute babies. May God bless them all. God will continue to watch over them for you. all the best

• Geraldine Ogwe

March 18, 2015 at 12:15 pm

May God personally comfort you. May God grant Erica eternal rest in His bosom and may your kids bring you love and joy all the days of your life.

2. Mist

March 18, 2015 at 11:00 am

May God be his strength……….

3. Yvonne

March 18, 2015 at 11:01 am

Ooh God
    I cried while reading this
    The things we women go through during and after delivery.
    Hmmmmm…..I remembered mine,it was something else,I thought I was going to die but God saw me through.
    Carlos may God continue to give you the strength to take of these beautiful kids and bring them up in the way of the Lord.
    May the soul of the deceased R.I.P.

4. beauty

March 18, 2015 at 11:03 am

I can’t stop crying.this is so tragic.I pray that God will provide for them

5. Stella Kashmoney

March 18, 2015 at 11:48 am

This so sad. For a woman to go through the pains of pregnancy and delivery and not even hold any of them. God will provide for them.
    fashionandstylepolice.com/

6. prince

March 18, 2015 at 11:58 am

God will watch over them for you. So happy for you still

7. Marv

March 18, 2015 at 11:59 am

Still crying!!! I have not been able to go through labour pain yet, to hold my child yet but no matter what, God will do it for me this year in Jesus’ Name. In all things God knows best, God used Erica to bring this blessing in the form of these wonderful and beautiful babies and will be blessed and successful. Greatness in the making…

• Bola

March 18, 2015 at 2:54 pm

@Mary, Amen God will answer you prayers and give you the desires of your heart

• Marv

March 18, 2015 at 3:31 pm

AMEEENNNN!!!!!!!

8. ejoh benny

March 18, 2015 at 12:00 pm

God’s ways is not our ways, he decides the path we shd follow, d lord is ur strenght, he will take care of his own those kids are miracles from God and he will provide

9. British/Naija/Ghana

March 18, 2015 at 12:14 pm

This story moved me to tears. I had my son in my arms whilst reading and he kept looking at me as the tears kept dropping. Such a sad story but on the bright side, he has 4 beautiful babies to love and cherish. I pray they grow into responsible young people with their mum smiling down on them each step of the way.

10. Joe

March 18, 2015 at 12:25 pm

Lord have mercy! so sorrowful…..God knows best..

11. Ojay

March 18, 2015 at 12:44 pm

God help this man to love those babies like a mother, I know a mother’s love is irreplaceable but let them get something close…..

12. tunmi

March 18, 2015 at 12:51 pm

This is difficult. I’m glad the man has received some help, he will surely need it. But what about paternity leave? Does his job provide it and if so for how long? I wish the babies well.

13. HelenEventsBlog

March 18, 2015 at 1:01 pm

I’v got tears rolling down my cheeks… Sometimes we can’t explain how these things happen… But God knows what’s best for us.. We can’t question him… Rather, we find solace in his words. Welcome to the world cute babies.

14. Nwozorifeoma

March 18, 2015 at 1:02 pm

May the soul of faithful departed rest in peace , may God give heart and strength to unable you to train your loving and beautiful , handsome children , who will grow up to take care of in Jesus name i pray Amen

15. Justme

March 18, 2015 at 1:19 pm

My Uncle refuse to touch his son after his wife passed away, but you have showed great strength I pray for God’s grace to lead you on & may those bundle of joy bring you Closure & comfort Amen.

• Kunle Adekolo

March 18, 2015 at 5:31 pm

Your uncle is a wicked soul.

• tunmi

March 19, 2015 at 1:52 am

No he’d not. He’s grieving in his own way. I do not want to be in that situation, and u certainly do not know what I would do in such a situation

• Jhennique

March 19, 2015 at 12:12 pm

Kunle what is wrong with you? do u have sense at all????

16. paloma

March 18, 2015 at 2:42 pm

awww so emotional, cute babies

17. Cash Kakadi

March 18, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Mehn!!!!!! what a sad story,i just wish i become a billionaire one day and help Carlos with the four babies and make it in life….R.I.P Erica….

• Marv

March 18, 2015 at 3:33 pm

AWWWWW!!!! that’s nice of you. God will answer.

18. Vic

March 18, 2015 at 4:30 pm

Hmmmmmm.

19. Dupe Peters

March 18, 2015 at 4:30 pm

Though the role of a mother can not be replaced, may God give you wisdom to raise them. RIP to the deceased

20. Kunle Adekolo

March 18, 2015 at 5:31 pm

He better hurry up and get on Match.com, so he can find himself a caretaker for them babies.

21. Anon

March 18, 2015 at 6:22 pm

God’s time is always the best. The gifts of God make rich and add no sorrow. I don’t believe this was God’s will for this family; for the mother to die at child birth. Reminds me of something my pastor says “this husband, wife, child, job you are crying for and doing everything you can to get, how do you know it is God’s will for you (now)?”
    May God give Carlos the grace to be a responsible dad.

22. Jfk

March 18, 2015 at 8:38 pm

Dunno if my tears are that of joy that her babies made it or that of sorrow because she never got to carry them? I thought i had a smooth pregnancy until my 38th week. Blood pressure went up to 181/140. In all give thanks to God! Sleep in the bossom of the almighty Erica!

23. HAWT TALK WITH TOSAN

March 18, 2015 at 11:48 pm

This is just sad. My heart is broken…I can’t imagine how he must feel.

24. Marlvina

March 19, 2015 at 12:06 am

Dear Lord bless these kids and grant the father grace.

25. PD Young Billionaire

March 19, 2015 at 3:10 am

Really sad.May God give Carlos the grace and wisdom to raise them.RIP to their mum….

26. Jhennique

March 19, 2015 at 12:12 pm

Wow! so sad. One question tho……How did he decide which of them to be named Erica, after his wife?

• Blue

March 19, 2015 at 12:37 pm

My thought exactly! God’s ways are not our ways. Remember they couldn’t agree on a name for one of the girls when the mother was alive…….would that be God’s silent way of telling them??? Shivers run through me as I think this…..