Music

Kanye West: Racism is Now Less of an Issue than Elitism, Separatism & Classism

BellaNaija.com

KanyeOne thing that has started paying off for Kanye West is his rants.

The rapper was invited to Oxford University to give a speech recently and Kanye West did not disappoint his fans as he touched on subjects like Nicki Minaj, being an iconic figure, the ‘new’ Bible, classism and so much more.

See highlights from his speech below.

On Nicki Minaj: “One of the most memorable things about MBDTF was Nicki Minaj, and the fact that she kicked my a**, on my own song, on one of the best albums…the best album – I’m just saying what the critics said – of the last 25 years. The best album of the past 25 years that I spent a year and a half making, out there. I was exiled from my country; it was a personal exile, but exile. To come back and deliver my magnum opus of a work, and to be outshined…to be beat by a girl, basically.

On comparing himself to iconic figures “My goal, if I was going to do art, fine art, would have been to become Picasso or greater. That always sounds so funny to people, comparing yourself to someone in the past that has done so much, and in your life you’re not even allowed to think that you can do as much. That’s a mentality that suppresses humanity.

On The Matrix being the “new” Bible: “What I said was The Matrix is like the Bible of the post-information age. I compared it like, when the hundred guys come at Neo, those are opinions, that’s perception, that’s tradition. Attacking people from every which angle possible. If you have a focus wide and master sense is like Laurence Fishburne and you have a squad behind you, you literally can put the world in slow motion.”

On classism: “That idea [racism], has passed. We’ve had The Cosby Show, Obama’s president, Beyonce’s great…that’s passed. But there’s still something you’re taught every day, especially in the UK, and that’s division by class. Our main focus, in my opinion…Imagine a world with no war, and imagine if everyone’s main focus, more so than going out to a club, their main focus was to help someone else.

On clothing costing too much money: “It’s illegal to not wear clothes, and also possibly too cold. That means someone is imposing an idea on you that should legally have to do! Clothing should be like food. There should never be a $5000 sweater. You know what should cost $5000? A car should be $5000. And you know who should work on the car? The people that work on the $500,000 cars. All the best talent in the world needs to work for the people. And I am so f*cking serious about this concept that I will stand in front of anyone and fight for it. Because I was 14 and middle class. I know what it felt like to not get what I have.”

Read his full speech here.

1. hawttalkwithtosan.blogspot.ca

March 4, 2015 at 3:18 am

Highly certifiable

2. SOLO ACT

March 4, 2015 at 4:09 am

i am going to need kanye to jump into the ocean while carrying undetachable cement blocks

• maria

March 4, 2015 at 8:08 pm

Really? what if you are wished the same? that will be totally awesome. we need to stop how violent thoughts really he is human and he is allowed to have an opinion. you really don’t have to like is opinions, you are allowed to disagree with it, but seriously you don’t have to wish him dead. he is a father and a husband to someone, he is loved by someone to imagine if it was you someone wishes that upon how will your family feel? we need to learn to know that everyone has their personally thoughts and opinion and the fact that we don’t agree or see the world the same way does not mean the person has to cease to exist. he made his point please state yours. we need to work in others shoes to understand that we all see the world differently and we all understand things in different ways.

3. A'ana

March 4, 2015 at 4:36 am

I totally agree with his last sub topic “clothing costing too much” especially now that it has somewhat become a trend. I do hope he understands that part of fighting for a cause is visibly leading by example. So he should also start by not patronizing those sweaters worth £5000 then move to making clothings that are reasonable and affordable. Maybe just then, others will follow.He surprisingly made sense.
    I respect that everyone is entitled to how they spend their money but honestly we have become overly extravagant the sad thing is most of these extravagant spendings are done to impress people or just show off. Its just sad

4. A'ana

March 4, 2015 at 4:38 am

* $5000

5. Matt

March 4, 2015 at 4:48 am

Hey A’ana merely reading this i can tell you know exactly what you’re on about and I agree with you. However, if everyone wore cheap clothes how we gon tell the rich from the poor?

• Anon

March 4, 2015 at 7:29 am

Is it by cheap clothes that you can tell the rich from the poor? Who says rich people don’t wear cheap clothes? My mind boggles!

• Ibinabo

March 4, 2015 at 5:58 pm

You just proved Kanye’s point about classism.lol

6. A'ana

March 4, 2015 at 4:58 am

*$5000

7. ms.b

March 4, 2015 at 7:25 am

Kanye wants us to go back to d era of hunting and gathering? Even then, we had a social class, we had village elders. I don’t think classism can be stopped or should even be looked upon as an issue. Animals in d forest also have social class in d jungle. No society can exist without class, every one can have what they need n no hunger BUT social class will still be measured by sumtinelse even if it ain money.

8. Ralph (www.askralphblog.com)

March 4, 2015 at 7:47 am

I agree with every single point he has put down. I understand everybody has a unique way of reasoning and right now I can relate to most of what he is saying. I don’t think he “always” intends to sound arrogant. But sometimes the way he comes out and makes his points makes him sound so. He had a very good message to pass across this time. Nice one

9. LOL

March 4, 2015 at 8:24 am

Megalomaniac, believing in his own hype. When his mum left, there was no one left to abut his delusions of grandeur! Just keep selling your hype, guess he’s learning even faster from the Kardashians. They were probably sniggering at him. He used to be so laudable, his music inspired, now he’s insipid, courting attention, subpar prehistoric clothing and subpar role model. When is he going to go out of fashion…methinks sooner rather than later!

10. pj

March 4, 2015 at 8:41 am

i take this, chew it and let it sink in “comparing yourself to someone in the past that has done so much, and in your life you’re not even allowed to think that you can do as much”

11. spoonfullofsugar

March 4, 2015 at 8:45 am

Best thing i’ve heard kanye say in forever ” imagine if everyone’s main focus, more so than going out to a club, their main focus was to help someone else.”!!!
    Love will solve all the worlds problems.

12. mabel

March 4, 2015 at 10:04 am

The first time I heard Kanye rap, I fell in love with him. Saw him as an intelligent being. He is the only rap artist I respect.

13. natty

March 4, 2015 at 10:41 am

Wow! I was expecting him to rant BS, but I concur with his reasoning this time, so much sense

14. Tim

March 4, 2015 at 10:50 am

How come his yeezy sneakers aint as cheap as a macdonald’s meal? Last time I checked those ugly shoes cost over $250.

• mz_daniels

March 4, 2015 at 12:22 pm

$250 might be cheap to him. You never know

15. Awayaway

March 4, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Kanye does not realise that he was invited to oxford so that they could laugh at him. He may be the son of an english language professor, but sure does spew a lot of rubbish from that mouth of his. Stick to making music, Kanye. It’s probably thing that gives you a little credibility.

16. nife

March 4, 2015 at 1:48 pm

I just wish he says it in plain English. Would have made better sense. All d ism ism

17. Gorgeous

March 4, 2015 at 1:51 pm

He is trying to downplay racism to make his inlays comfortable with his racial outbursts of the past. Kanye has issues that he needs help with. I am serious. The fact that a man can talk so loosely, attacking colleagues and talking bad about women, i wonder why he is still being given attention. Maybe he saw that people’s tolerance of him was fast waning so he ran to marry an attention seeker to keep him in the lime light. He is a washed out, and totally overrated artist. I do not care for him or his songs. I hope Kim does not divorce him because he will go on a childish rants of insults with his toothless mouth.

18. Libgirl

March 4, 2015 at 2:54 pm

People need to realize that Kanye West is selling his soul so that he can be accepted by the elites of the fashion industry. This is why his focus is on classicism. He knows damn well that racism is alive and well.

Also, he’s talking about clothing costing too much money, yet he dresses his 1 year old daughter in furs.

I’m not saying he doesn’t have the right to do what he wants with his child, but don’t lecture anyone about the cost of clothes, when you and your family wear clothes that cost a ton of money. No one will take you seriously.

Kanye is a walking contradiction, he talks out of his ass.

• seriously

March 7, 2015 at 8:55 pm

Exactly. Its hard to take kanye seriously because his lifestyle, his actions contradicts what he says. So, he should stop fooling himself and live by what he preaches first. I doubt, he believes what he says. Hes just trying to be “voice of reason”by force which makes him become a joke more

19. fleur

March 4, 2015 at 3:27 pm

Make im go rest. Racism is the reason he has not broken through the fashion cartel. If money and talent is all it takes,. he should have made it by now. The issue is not only is he a negro, he is also a loud one. Beyonce and Jay Z aint loud. they maintain an air of cool around them that allows oyibos to overlook their blackness. Once people have food to eat and more to throw away, they start feeling all the world’s problems have been solved. Abegi.

20. fleur

March 4, 2015 at 3:28 pm

I meant “the issue is not only that he is a negro,…”

21. tony

March 4, 2015 at 8:54 pm

Kanye, Please sell off your Lamborghini and then go on to take several seats.. you talk too much balderdash!!

22. Wifey

March 5, 2015 at 3:00 am

I’m starting to like this man.
    “… imagine if everyone’s main …was to help someone else”