Scoop

Kemi Adetiba Shares Motivational Weight Loss Journey following Surgery

Kemi AdetibaTowards the end of last year filmmaker Kemi Adetiba had to undergo a surgical procedure and now a few months down the line she has shared how she picked herself back up – fighting depression and weight gain – to return to a place of self-love.

She posted the motivational journey on Instagram and wrote:

Went for an amazing run this morning and discovered my jogging basketball shorts kept slipping off and I had to keep pulling them up. I’m happy with my progress and it’s goes to show that it’s never late to start from the beginning if you have to.

I put on an insane amount of weight late last year leading up to a surgical procedure I had. The weight gain was stress related (as I was working till the very evening I checked into hospital) and depression (from the painful symptoms I had to deal with because of my situation). Yes I eventually lost weight after surgery due to loss of appetite, but I also lost all my muscle mass as well.

My body became like a polythene bag loosely filled with cooked ogi. Sigh. Then my appetite came back and I gained back all the weight again as I wasn’t given the go ahead to work out by the doctor.

By the beginning of February I was depressed again because I once again hated my body. When you hate your body, you hate yourself. I started feeling like I was ageing and ageing bad. I felt like such a frump and nothing looked flattering on me. Now you guys know that ME… I LOVE food. So food will always stay. That one is a deal breaker!! But fat had to go.

As soon as I got the go ahead from the doctor I started working out again… And in the middle of a resting holiday. After Mexico, I gave up sweets, bread (save for unleavened) soft drinks (aka mineraaaaaas), and beer ( and y’all KNOW how I loooove my beer. I picked up on my cardio,weight lifting and body sculpting exercises. My breasts look bigger because… Well… I have big breasts But it’s more attractively defined because I’ve lost a lot of weight in my mid riff area. My Butt looks bigger, well rounded (and harder to fit in jeans) because I’ve lost a lot from my thighs, back, plus doing some intense squat exercises.

I’m feeling very hot with my bod and it took pain and dedication to rebuild. But it’s all worth it and I’m still very much work in progress. When I say #PanelBeatThatBody I really mean it and it’s never to late to start… Again!!

I’m very human, I have no trainer, I gain weight, I LOVE to eat, BUT I’m doing it! #nikeplus#CEOofPanelBeatThatBodyAndSonsIndustries

Photo Credit: Instagram/KemiAdetiba

1. oy

March 25, 2015 at 1:36 pm

lol… well done

2. dolapo

March 25, 2015 at 1:50 pm

lol kemi pele! all this advert to get husband abi
    your breasts are bigger? funny girl

• Ebony

March 25, 2015 at 2:37 pm

I was going to say Kemi TMI, but this your comment get as e be.
      Must everything be about husband to you people. What is priority to you might not be to someone else. So stop imposing your heart desires and time-frames on other people. There’s really more to life.

• NaijaPikin

March 25, 2015 at 4:03 pm

unlike you, some women’s worth are not tied to a male specie. #teamselflove

3. @edDREAMZ

March 25, 2015 at 2:16 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Beautifull mama….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

4. ba

March 25, 2015 at 2:40 pm

Legs for days! Beautiful and successful woman all round.

5. ....

March 25, 2015 at 3:18 pm

I cant help but notice the insane amt of alcohol on the coffee table, if it’s hers..alcohol is the number one culprit for weight gain

• onetallgirl

March 25, 2015 at 5:20 pm

That’s exactly what I was thinking!!! You have to cut out alcohol if you want to lose weight.

6. poison ivy

March 25, 2015 at 3:39 pm

Babe na you get all the liquor for that table, you definitely love your spirits sha

7. Observer

March 25, 2015 at 3:47 pm

Great! Now go get your job back on Maltina dance all pls. You do it best!!!

• slimqueenie

March 27, 2015 at 11:18 am

I completely agree with you!

8. LOVE

March 25, 2015 at 4:11 pm

YEA LOVE SEEING HER ON MALTINA DANCE SCREEMING GUD NITEEEE NIGERIAAAAA

9. Tosin

March 25, 2015 at 8:33 pm

Just wanted to say Baddest Pose Ever Liveth. It really works, elongating etc.

And also to say, fit, fat, whatever, you’re a’ight.

10. le coco

March 26, 2015 at 7:29 am

good job kemi…… i so know what you mean wen u talk about hating your body.. i got to a point where i dont even take pictures.. i am proud to say im am now on this fitness journey.. also since febuary.. and gosh it feels good… i cut out fried foods.. bread and sodas as well… and the gym has become my friend( i feel weird if i dont go).. bt it feels nyc wen clothes starts to loesen, and belts need to be tightened….

• Mz Socially Awkward...

March 26, 2015 at 3:35 pm

Was (am?) on the fitness journey too and started this year on a high, having lost 7kg and feeling grrrrrreeat (in Tony the Tiger’s voice). Eliminated everything bad and naughty from the food cupboard, got a regular gym routine in place and started looking for holiday locations to feel like a boss with my hawt beach bod. Then a combination of work stress, like Kemi mentions, plus some of the usual highs and lows of navigating life pushed me off the wagon at the start of March and caused me to add 3KG, which threatened to depress me as that’s taking me 5kg further away from my 65kg ultimate weight goal.

A health expert gave a talk that I attended two months ago and something he said stuck – we’re only human and so will always have periods of being distracted from our fitness routine and it’s important to not allow those periods define us. Yes, you’ve done wrong and gained a bit more back but just get going again and keep working to your goal. The other thing he said which I went away with was “Just Eat Real Food”. Crisps, chocolates, caramelized nuts, cakes, juice, etc. are not real food so when you’re about to toss something into your mouth, ask yourself if it’s real food you’re loading your body with.

So, I’m feeling good sometimes (feeling quite hot with myself today, actually), which is great and even when I haven’t felt good about my progress, I’m resetting and adjusting what’s wrong so I can keep the goal in sight and not give up on that 65kg mark. 🙂

[Out of curiosity, I wonder how BerryDakara’s getting on with her own journey that she wrote a BN article about?]

• Neo

March 26, 2015 at 7:43 pm

Women and our bodies, sometimes i wonder if there is a place of satisfaction for us. When i finished school and started working my weight just started dropping off, i have never been bigger than a size 8 (could wrangle a 10) but i dropped to a skinny 6 beginning of last year lost a whole 5kg due to antibiotics i was on at the time to 50kg. I did everything i could to gain it back including body building at the gym. This year i just sort of gave up and then yday i stepped on a scale at the hospital and bam im up a whole 6kg, I had noticed my clothes were a litlle tighter and my mid riff was expanding but i attributed it to bloating, so now im in a panic cos im getting fat. Lol! Then i remembered this was what i wanted abi. My target weight is 6okg but i have to body sculpt and make sure the weight goes to the right places.