News

Nigerian Brides Stay Winning! BuzzFeed features BellaNaija Weddings

Safiya, photo by AtilaryNigerians love weddings! This we know. But now the world is also recognizing that we ‘did not come here to play’ 😉

When BuzzFeed approached us on an article about Nigerian brides, we were elated that the world will see what we’ve been celebrating for years – that our weddings are culturally rich and beyond beautiful.

The article, titled, “67 Nigerian Brides Who Absolutely Killed It” is now trending on the site, with close to 200,000 views in one day! It featured images on @BellaNaijaWeddings, shared by all the fabulous Nigerian photographers, makeup artists and wedding planners you know and love.

The credits for each image can be easily found by clicking on them, so you can achieve your dream bridal look with their help.

Thanks to Bim Adewunmi for putting the article together and we would like to especially thank the BN fam for all for your support, this is only the beginning!

Photo Credit: Atilary Photography

1. Mr Ekoh

March 20, 2015 at 4:42 pm

Congrats BN………..my own wedding is coming soon ooo. Hope you will feature it abi na only ‘big men/women’ wedding una dey feature.

2. Mr Ekoh

March 20, 2015 at 4:47 pm

I am really proud on Naija. Not just in weddings…..Nigeria is being noticed in different areas in the world. Hope this will transform to better standard of living for us all. Amen

And I hope that we will also utilise these opportunities to create opportunities for ourselves instead of waiting for the government to do everything for us.

3. kenitola

March 20, 2015 at 4:48 pm

congrats to you guys.

4. TOBI

March 20, 2015 at 4:50 pm

Awwww.. I’m so happy for you bella!!! I was smiling while looking at the buzz feed feature!!!

5. oluchy

March 20, 2015 at 5:14 pm

All of them are stunning, have some favorites.

6. @edDREAMZ

March 20, 2015 at 5:20 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Congrats but na only big people wedding una dey feature here…..
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

• Nkechi

March 21, 2015 at 12:13 am

There is something ever so wrong about being poor sha. Baba God please continue to bless me in Jesus name

• Atl mayor

March 21, 2015 at 6:02 am

There is no nobility in poverty.

7. Tinz

March 20, 2015 at 5:27 pm

Lovely article!! So proud of the fact that people can see something good about nigeria for a change.
    But Bellanaija, there was no need to lie about the stats na….”200,000 views”? “Trending on buzzfeed”?…..diaris God oooo!

• Sky Blue

March 20, 2015 at 6:55 pm

Both claims are true. The page had 180K views and the trending sign when I checked.

8. chi-e-z

March 20, 2015 at 5:29 pm

Yea!!! Naija Yea!!! Bella Naija odikwa serious 🙂

9. ChiChiChilolo

March 20, 2015 at 5:46 pm

Yipeeeeeeeeeeee!!! ONE MILLION GBOSAS FOR BELLA NAIJA. Let’s go! One, two, three……………….*Running Away*

10. fob

March 20, 2015 at 5:59 pm

Yaay reading through all the comments, they are in love with our eye brow game!!!!.
    Very positive comments all through.

11. Calabar Gal

March 20, 2015 at 6:01 pm

Lovely……

12. Mz Socially Awkward...

March 20, 2015 at 6:35 pm

I’m not a big fan of the wedding segment on BN but I went to BuzzFeed out of curiosity about how this was featured and… the comments were heart-warming. Funny how I take so much of our cultural celebrations for granted (to the point where I hear Nigerians living outside the country saying they want to have their trado wedding done in absentia and I agree with them that it sounds like major stress to travel all the way home for just that ceremony) but we’re actually blessed with many charming traditional events which other people look at and wish they could be a part of.

Random comment but well done on getting more publicity through this, BN. And I pray all the beautiful brides are already settling into a lovely married life.

• APKX

March 21, 2015 at 1:21 am

Same here, not a huge fan of BN wedding, I used to be but got tired of seeing the same things, I love the glamour and all but sometimes something different, relatable, regular, simple yet beautiful would be nice to see. That being said i was happy to see the comments on Buzz feed, a good image of Nigeria. Thanks Bella.

13. Debra

March 20, 2015 at 7:38 pm

Wow!!! Sounds really cool, lemme goan check it out

14. solo aCT

March 20, 2015 at 8:01 pm

i am proud to be nigerian!! yass for shutting down weddings!

15. Tee

March 20, 2015 at 9:39 pm

And the oyinbos even LOVE our skin too. I went through the article and I was indeed proud to be Nigerian. At least they know we are not just ridden in dirt and diseases- we have some ills, but still have a lot to be grateful for.

16. Yemisi

March 20, 2015 at 9:45 pm

Weddings 1, Tourism 0.Truth is they will admire but still not come down to Nigeria. because we have absolutely nothing to offer.They wouldn’t even be able to stand a Nigerian wedding.The only thing you can appreciate in a Nigerian wedding is the pictures.

• intheoverseas

March 20, 2015 at 10:45 pm

True that. Please can someone start marketing wedding tourism for these oyibos 😛 At least if you can’t see the sites you can attend wedding for free. Plus the package can come with free aso ebi. lol!

• Yeske

March 21, 2015 at 9:02 am

Funny that most of my oyinbo friends that come to naija insist on going to a Nigerian wedding. It’s like their #1 to do

• Zanita

March 21, 2015 at 12:13 am

That last part is soooo true. I was at one of the northern weddings featured on BN and it was a complete disorganized mess! But then the pictures told a different story

17. Ndubuisi

March 20, 2015 at 9:58 pm

Nigeria no dey carry last.

18. nnenne

March 20, 2015 at 11:32 pm

If you got it, chop it.
    When the alarm rings, you’re not leaving with anything.

19. MrsiD

March 20, 2015 at 11:35 pm

YAY!!!! I Know Bim Adewunmi…………..lol

20. idomagirl

March 21, 2015 at 12:35 am

The initial post had 89, I think Buzzfeed deleted some. Either way, good stuff.

21. Tosin

March 21, 2015 at 1:08 am

lol @ did not come here to play.
    ps only a fool would NOT want to visit Nigeria. it’s magic every day! 😉

22. tunmi

March 21, 2015 at 2:57 am

The traditional ones ehn….vavavoom. I do not have the liver for such an elaborate thing so well done ladies & gentlemen.

23. Lagos Street Style

March 23, 2015 at 9:20 am

Hi there BN, you know last month Buzzfeed did a feature on Lagos Street Style as well? It had huge amounts of love from around the world.

I sent an email to your style section, just to let you know Nigeria was being put in a positive light and to ask for feedback, and I’m still kinda here…waiting…. 🙂

It’ll be great support if you would please check out the article, also by Bim Adewunmi…and the lovely comments received as well. Thanks! 🙂

buzzfeed.com/bimadewunmi/eko-did-not-come-here-to-play-jor#.egZmwa4dE

24. Hafsat Blacksoap, Oils, Hair & Body Butter

March 23, 2015 at 10:05 am

Beautiful things do come out of Nigeria!!! Love, love and LOVE the feature. Congrats to the Bella Naija team. Making us proud always!!! God will keep on prospering Nigeria and Nigerians in Jesus name.