Scoop

‘Why I Boarded the Train with ‘Ordinary People’ on March 2’ – Mercy Johnson Responds to Comments of Her Train Ride

BellaNaija.com

mercy7A few days ago Nollywood actress Mercy Johnson posted pictures from a train ride with her daughter, Purity, in Lagos (click here if you missed it) and her action got a lot of comments.

Mercy Johnson has now responded to the comments explaining why that was her choice of transportation via her publicist.

My picture and that of my daughter, Purity in a Lagos train has surfaced online and quite a number of people have asked me what I was doing in a train and in Lagos for that matter; not Paris or London.

I was around Iddo at Ebute Metta when my Range Rover developed a mechanical fault and I had to make a very important appointment in Ikeja regardless of the usual traffic congestion in Lagos. Luckily, a member of my management team was around, he suggested a train ride and we were in Ikeja in less than 30 minutes but that is not the crux of this statement.

Like I mentioned earlier, I have had to answer questions in private and public as to why I would board a train because trains in Nigeria are considered a means of transportation for the ordinary and not-so-rich people. A friend called and said I just devalued my brand by being on the train with ordinary people.  I couldn’t help but laugh. Are we extra ordinary people because we are celebrities?

In as much as I understand the concept of branding, packaging and exclusiveness, I will never trade the experience to sit, interact and feel the pulse of so-called ordinary people.

By the way, I am part of the ordinary people. I grew up as an ordinary person among ordinary people. Why would I avoid them now? Would that be because I am now famous? Without these ordinary people, how would I have been famous in the first place?  Without the so called ordinary people, where would Nigeria’s growing population of so-called well packaged celebrities be today?

For the purpose of clarification, I was not on that train due to lack of money to get a well packaged cab or to get somebody to bring another car from the house but,  my car developed an unforeseen fault and I needed a fast , reliable and convenient alternative immediately as there was urgent business to be attended to and I respect time a lot.

The train was available where I was; most importantly, I did not want to turn down the opportunity to be with the people who would ordinarily not have access to me so I grabbed the opportunity with both hands and here we are.

I want to thank my co-passengers, officials of the train for treating me with absolute respect and courtesy, I am indeed, very grateful.

Her PR team also released more pictures of her train ride with her daughter and husband.

mercy1 mercy2 mercy3 mercy4 mercy5 mercy8

Photo Credit: Big Sam Media

1. Mr.Classic

March 4, 2015 at 11:55 am

”Ordinary people”………..Like She is something?………..Some people just don’t know their place………

• breezy

March 4, 2015 at 12:10 pm

Did you even read? do you just have a problem with comprehension?

• jayboogie

March 4, 2015 at 1:20 pm

Good question , sigh .

• S!

March 4, 2015 at 6:08 pm

Same thing I said yesterday on Jaden Smith’s post.
      Nigerians are too quick to bash people, either,
      they want to be the top commenters so they can get the most likes, no one wants to take the time to read anymore;
      Or they read but are too strong headed to understand;
      Or simply don’t just want to read the post!

• Uchaey

March 7, 2015 at 2:51 am

Obviously he couldn’t understand or comprehend what she said. Some people are just plain daft!

• FRnk

March 19, 2015 at 8:30 am

Can u imagine?
      Someone will just come up and comment without reading……
      Low mentality is disturbing him……..

• oversabi people make una read first

March 4, 2015 at 12:15 pm

READ THE ARTICLE AND YES I AM SCREAMING. OVERSABI COMMENTERS. Well done MJ fpr putting all those brand devauer friends in their place

• thatikwerrebabe

March 4, 2015 at 12:16 pm

obviously you didn’t read her statement…………………that’s her Nigerians jump into conclusion without reading

• Anon

March 4, 2015 at 12:17 pm

Why don’t you read and understand? Oya, read the article again, understand her use of the term and realise your earlier ignorance.

• Beeeee

March 4, 2015 at 12:25 pm

The world would be a much better place if people would just read and comprehend. That is the problem with us today….lazy readers…..even if you just read the title, I am sure that you can see “ordinary people”in quotes, that should have told you something….smh.

• Ojayem

March 4, 2015 at 12:31 pm

Pls try and read the write up all over. Na people like u dey fail exam. “I too know” mstcheeewwww

• Xristybabes

March 4, 2015 at 12:31 pm

[email protected] comment!Please go through it again as she is not referring anyone as Ordinary!

• Dom!!!

March 4, 2015 at 1:23 pm

OHHH PLEASE!!! REAAAADDDDDD FIRST!!! Why hating????? Gosh!!!

• temi

March 4, 2015 at 1:23 pm

Olodo rabata

• Lola

March 4, 2015 at 1:24 pm

Mr over Sabi classic….stop glossing over and read before passing comments…Nigerians!

• deb

March 4, 2015 at 2:40 pm

lmao! nice one peeps. some peeps just have a hard time reading stuff. smh.

• lsd

March 4, 2015 at 2:43 pm

Have you read other people’s comments? See why you need to think before you write next time? Everyone is against only YOU! If i were you, id delete the comment. You have some growing ups to do.

• rainbow me

March 4, 2015 at 5:06 pm

Tchewwww,u dint even read,read,read!!!!!!!READ!!!!!!!!!!!!…..nonsense

• Eve

March 4, 2015 at 10:38 pm

Mr Classic pls read her comment again. It was her friend who said ordinary people. Mercy is one of the most humble celebs I know.

• joy

March 10, 2015 at 10:04 am

what do you mean by ordinary people who are you what do you think you are 1) you are not ordinary because you snatched somebody’s husband that is why you are not ordinary

2. sipstea

March 4, 2015 at 11:57 am

so we can know GEJ’s train project is “working” right? we get you ma’am, your intention is not lost on us.#subtlecampaign…and the “ordinarypeople” insert?

• Baby

March 4, 2015 at 7:16 pm

Mumu

3. T

March 4, 2015 at 11:59 am

personally, i don’t think this was necessary at all. But to each his own. i hope your range rover is okay now.

4. Mizzy

March 4, 2015 at 12:04 pm

“ordinary pple”? i Love u MJ bt u r nt extraordinary n calling oda pple on dt train “ordinary” is uncalled for.

• ATL's finest

March 4, 2015 at 1:14 pm

Don’t comment via head lines.. Reading is proactive… So read the article too.

• Dom!!!

March 4, 2015 at 1:24 pm

Did you read the article?? READ FIRST!!!! Stop hating!!!

• Melycherie

March 4, 2015 at 2:37 pm

You’re so dumb it’s unbelievable did u even read the whole thing? Abi U can’t read?

5. James

March 4, 2015 at 12:05 pm

Mercy, thank u for the statement. Grateful to God that you know you are where you are because of these people. Well done. As for that your friend, she’s a loser

• Dele

March 4, 2015 at 2:16 pm

Do not be deceived. I am sure this is meant to appease “the ordinary people” and give them/you a sense of belonging, that the extraordinary celebrity Mercy Johnson sees herself like one of them/you.
      Nonesense, you and your so called friend with all your celebrity status, brands and packaging are more ordinary than most people in that train. You do not know them from Adam, so you and your friend should not label them as ordinary based on their mode of transport.
      Hope your range rover is fine now.

6. loilipop

March 4, 2015 at 12:08 pm

@siptea its obvious u are a clueless person with your comment….ride on girl, I love every part of wat i just read!!#realpeople

7. Nahum

March 4, 2015 at 12:10 pm

“ordinary people”…na wa for this our Naija mentality

8. Eyitayo

March 4, 2015 at 12:13 pm

Ordinary people bawo @bellanaija……so who are the special people here??? na wa o

9. O~Intuition!

March 4, 2015 at 12:14 pm

‘Ordinary People’ as per Nigerian Socioeconomic Status
    ‘Regular’ People as Per Canadian, French, British People.

Ma ka why?!! This week and the use of words to literally relegate some humans to a socioeconomic status (for life). While the ‘accusers’ believe they are the Epitome of Success.

One hardly hear these words from The ‘Really Rich/Wealthy People”. Maybe they do not have the time for social media or they just ignore or they just stay HUMBLE!

This publicity sha… Really revealing characters.

• BO

March 4, 2015 at 11:30 pm

thank you, people sit in the train and stay in the same train station with British prime minister and he shook hands with them, Awon were which brand are they talking about.

10. thatikwerrebabe

March 4, 2015 at 12:18 pm

Mama Purity keep being you jare…………….you rock

11. JUSTICE

March 4, 2015 at 12:18 pm

on this earth we are all ordinary…i need u and u need me…none above all…people stop dreaming…see how our lives end…so [poor and sad…ordinary people on bellanaija too

12. concerned

March 4, 2015 at 12:18 pm

I find this her explanation incredibly unnecessary. Like who gives a fiddler’s fart if she boards a train with “Ordinary People”?

• Iris

March 4, 2015 at 3:20 pm

THANK YOU! We get it Mercy. She’s trying to say she’s not snooty, but there was no need to say anything at all or explain to us that it wasn’t because she couldn’t afford a taxi. I wonder who this friend was that said she’s devaluing her brand. I’m sure he or she is a Money-Miss-Road. This is another example of New Money Syndrome. Yesterday it was Toke Makinwa who apparently wants to vlog about ‘”domestic help”. like she was born into royalty.

13. fay

March 4, 2015 at 12:19 pm

It’s good for u people that call these ppl celebrities…from acting in their camcorder camera video movies…what does she mean by ordinary ppl?? and hurting what nonsense brand…she also had to insert that her range rover broke down….nigerians and their low self esteem….these ppl have really adopted an aggrandized sense of self..she evn looks more ordinary than the ppl riding the train…stop all this nonsense ppl…

14. Becca

March 4, 2015 at 12:22 pm

Wow, the publicist of Mrs. ever so ordinary has done her no favours with that statement.

15. sally

March 4, 2015 at 12:22 pm

MJ is the best, any day anytime.

16. Uju

March 4, 2015 at 12:24 pm

Why is it necessary to issue a press statement for this? People talk!!! Who is her PR Manager?

“I was around Iddo when my range rover developed a mechanical” *insert blank stare*

“Like I mentioned earlier, I have had to answer questions in private and public as to why I would board a train because trains in Nigeria are considered a means of transportation for the ordinary and not-so-rich people” – what the heck is this? I am so ashamed for you Mercy.

That’s why I love Genevieve. There’s absolutely no reason to engage idle talk, especially with such a silly press statement like this.

• Mama

March 4, 2015 at 10:07 pm

Uju be ashamed of your sily self…..did u read the article? If u did and still typing rubbish then u obviously have a problem with English…..has it occurred to you her comment is in response to what comments must have been made? u say no need for this but when they keep quiet silly folks like u will ask why did they not talk………..

17. Beeeee

March 4, 2015 at 12:27 pm

Can you people just READ READ AND READ……KAI….I am so irritated right now….before you start raining abuses on the woman, READ FIRST

• bb

March 4, 2015 at 1:53 pm

There is nothing more to read. What part of her speech do you not understand yourself?
      She made reference to the “ordinary and not so rich people” in her speech meaning that she is no more within the same circle of “ordinary people”. What’s that? What’s the fuss about riding a train. Even if she was berated by a “friend or colleague, her explanation is still unnecessary. Overseas, train is a major means of transportation for all classes of people. we truly get her message. I am sure she too had long been settled for this campaign. Yes, we get it.

• Beeeee

March 4, 2015 at 2:33 pm

I understand everything she said. which is why I am asking my fellow BN readers to read and COMPREHEND….. i dont know why you are talking about trains because I made no reference to that. She did not call anyone ordinary….You obviously read and did not comprehend. So please go back and read (without any pre-conceived notions) then maybe you can comprehend

18. nwanyi na aga aga

March 4, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Bella this your title is misleading Nigerians upon you people know that m,any people in my dear country detest reading.. They will soon come and jump on the band wagon that mercy called people “ordinary people” Hian! Biko this is not news.. I thought we have seen mercy on the train na.. Its ok.. Mercy thank you for entering GeJ’s train.. we have hear

19. papermoon

March 4, 2015 at 12:30 pm

You mean people are actually questioning why u took a train, really, what is special about that? Who are those people and where do they come from? Even those who made the range rovers take the train, even the Prime Minister of Britain takes the train!!!! Well I don’t know…..

20. Ebele

March 4, 2015 at 12:30 pm

My mum always says ‘Its not everything the eye sees that the mouth says’

Not everytime respond, sometimes, silence.
    You wanted to come off as humble but this write-up ended up exuding an undertone of arrogance.
    You really did not owe us any explanation. You took a train ride for whatever reason, why did you feel the need to explain yourself?!!!

You can NEVER please everybody. Stop trying to

• Modele

March 4, 2015 at 2:21 pm

You took the words out of my mouth. Despite trying hard to sound humble, I see an element of arrogance.

21. Ojayem

March 4, 2015 at 12:33 pm

22. Flora

March 4, 2015 at 12:34 pm

PLEASE TAKE THE PAINS TO READ BEFORE YOU COMMENT…….WHY ARE PEOPLE ALWAYS IN SUCH A HURRY TO JUDGE AND TALK?

23. Zeal

March 4, 2015 at 12:34 pm

hmmm Mercy, well said and well played out. You be reallllll actress gan! GEJ we av ear. Well done.

24. tee

March 4, 2015 at 12:36 pm

Liar liar Mercys pants on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!you had an important appointment and your range rover developed a fault at iddo, your husband happened to be around and also a member of your management team…………oga oooo, how convenient. Then who took your car back home, ok maybe the mechanic and you had the meeting with purity too???????????????? please when you are writing out these trash abeg just know that Nigerians are way smarter than this. I applaud you for taking the train, but lets call a spade a spade this was a campaign strategy naa.

• temi

March 4, 2015 at 1:30 pm

You don’t even know the type of appointment. It could be doctor’s appt or visa. Or anything that requires all family members around.

• Arin

March 5, 2015 at 8:29 am

There’s no way in the world 800 people liked this comment! Bellenigerians are smarter than this.

• queen

March 5, 2015 at 9:46 am

Appts. can be anything, it shows you dnt even understand what simple english means though. Nigerians and jumping into conclusions/ bad mouthing shaaa!!!!!

25. TITILAYO

March 4, 2015 at 12:41 pm

Those who question her for taking train transport are fake and hypocrites. The train looked much decent than those nigerians pay 200k ticket to travel to london to ride! Who says pres jonathan has not achieved anything? Nigerians……

• Busybody

March 4, 2015 at 3:31 pm

Ermm are you sure? This looks more like the shabby trains of New York. You can’t compare UK and rest of Europe trains as they are nice compared to most.

• Deley

March 6, 2015 at 1:21 pm

I doubt if she has ever left her village before, not to talk of visiting London, if not she would not say that this looks better London trains. Although this looks very nice, clean and modern, it cannot compete with London train.

• queen

March 5, 2015 at 9:49 am

God bless u, i see no reason anyone cant be on a train, isit cos tis nigeria? foreign countries use trains as major means of trans. buh Nigerians are so stressed upstairs they prefer traffic and stupid robberies on the road, i wish i had d oppotunity to use the train, buh tis jus nt available to me and tis nt going myway,

26. guess

March 4, 2015 at 12:45 pm

My father always says to me “my dear reading makes a man/woman” now I get it all. Read,read ,read, read my people read! Read,understand then comment.

27. shannaro

March 4, 2015 at 12:45 pm

lol she is issuing a statement for this? what an ordinary thing to do
    nwy i hope the car sorry the range gets repaired asap must be a pain

28. le coco

March 4, 2015 at 12:45 pm

u ddnt feel any different form the ordinary ppl on the train but u were taking pictures so that ppl will commend u for being on a train with rgular folk. the fact that her pr team actually had to release pics shows that she knew wt she was doing by taking the pics.. NEXT PLS..

• Aweriawhen

March 5, 2015 at 11:15 am

Hans do you take pictures of yourself so that people will commend you for wearing clothes, earrings…?

29. MrdIG

March 4, 2015 at 12:48 pm

I am sure most ppl had F9 in english language, comprehension is key….

• Nahum

March 4, 2015 at 1:30 pm

ABEG YOU LOT SHOULD CALM DOWN JOR! We are reacting to the term “ordinary people” that was used and not whether Mercy Johnson said it or not. Stop with this “reading is comprehension” nonsense. We all read it and understood!!!

30. Tootsy

March 4, 2015 at 12:48 pm

Dis who tin press statement and d ordinary pple ish is really unnessary jare, u dnt owe anyone explanation, so wether d car spoil or nt, it doesn’t mata, una wan enta train una enta period, explaining to us wat hapnd was jst uncald 4, e make u b like pikin wey dem catch 4 somtin e say oya mk I tell u hw e hapn… Abeg e naija celebs

31. GANNY OGUNSHAKIN. USA

March 4, 2015 at 12:53 pm

Thank you Mercy Johnson. I will travel on the same train regardless of my position or status in life. As a born and bread lagosian, who currently resides in the United States of America. Judging from what I saw on those pictures, the interior of the train, the green leather seats are as clean as a whistle. The train is as good as any train rides I enjoyed to my office in Washington DC. USA. everyday. The people you idiots refered to as ordinary people are my people too. How dare you look down on those who made you what you think you are today. Because without them, you are nothing. They spent their hard earned cash to patronize all your no good movies and this is what you think of them? All they ask from you good for nothing morons is some love and respect. A word is enough for the wise. I’m just saying.

• Livvy's Mama

March 4, 2015 at 1:51 pm

Madam Ganny from USA, it is obvious you did not read the article, go back, read it and review what’s wrong with this your comment.

32. charles

March 4, 2015 at 12:54 pm

You were paid by Pdp to use the “tube”, why are you now explaining yourself? Madam, enjoy “your money”. No one needs your explanation as you have the right to use the “tube” like “millions of Nigerians” who have been using the “tube” in this “transformation” era.

• Busarni

March 4, 2015 at 2:23 pm

Prince Charles, it’s high time you changed that your “”coat””.

• charles

March 4, 2015 at 4:31 pm

@Busarni. . .loooooool, you made me laugh hard @ work. Yesu!! God will provide for a new coat. . .hehehehe

• NP

March 4, 2015 at 5:43 pm

How do you know she was paid? Were you there?

33. jide

March 4, 2015 at 12:54 pm

Lmao…the Mayors or New York City and San Francisco take the the train to work every morning. ki lo fa ejo wewe?

34. LotusFlower

March 4, 2015 at 12:59 pm

This is a cute PAID ADVERTISEMENT. I still like Mercy Johnson. There’s actually nothing wrong with taking a train- even when you’re care is working! However, this is an advertisement and it is painfully obvious, and cringe-worthy.

35. bruno

March 4, 2015 at 1:00 pm

who is now ordinary people?? bacause u have acted ina few misreable movies??? idiattt

• adelegirl

March 4, 2015 at 3:33 pm

Which Bruno is this? We only know lime green avatar bruno on BN please. Declare yourself mbok and don’t confuse us. 😐

• o

March 4, 2015 at 5:48 pm

Lmao ..I am with you on this. Where is the lime green avatar Bruno?

36. Theshapecube.com

March 4, 2015 at 1:00 pm

Nice reply Mercy. We love you more.

37. Mimi

March 4, 2015 at 1:01 pm

I used to see Ken Livingstone on the train all the time when he was the Mayor of London #justsaying

38. Grace

March 4, 2015 at 1:08 pm

The train is fine o….Didnt know our Naija train could look this way. Pele Mercy. Alot of celebs wont do what u do as they are very very fake. So fake in everything.

39. Hils

March 4, 2015 at 1:17 pm

I never knew the trains were this neat!
    This is actually good publicity for the train service in Lagos.

40. Bizzy

March 4, 2015 at 1:18 pm

I wish I could go on a train ride round lagos……….. I need new friends

41. omel

March 4, 2015 at 1:26 pm

Regular not ordinary.

42. tish

March 4, 2015 at 1:33 pm

I see a lot of read, read, read! Yes I’ve read, and I laugh again. It’s Mercy Johnson so she can be ‘pardoned any sin’. I can imagine this being Toke Makinwa. Heeey! All hell would have broken loose. It was absolutely unnecessary to mention that it was a range rover that had a fault but it’s MJ, so no wahala. This statement is as unnecessary as any unnecessary statement can be, but the backlash she is getting is minimal, again because it’s MJ, it’s all good. If na Toke, BN won’t even be able to publish all the insults hurled at her.

43. Kola S

March 4, 2015 at 1:33 pm

“my Range Rover developed a mechanical fault…”

44. Kiki

March 4, 2015 at 1:35 pm

And inside the train actually looks good. so what is the big deal. Nigerians can talk

45. Queen!!!

March 4, 2015 at 1:37 pm

What is the matter with my fellow BNaijan? Why are you hating this lady? Haba!!! Those of you who did not take your precious time to read the article, please spare a minute or two to go through it and if you are still not happy about it, just PASS. She obviously did not need to justify herself but because some EXtra ORdinary people got fever and malaria yesterady due to her train trip, she needed to remind them who she really is. Don’t think, that will help, but who cares? Come on People!!!!

46. Mr.Classic

March 4, 2015 at 1:37 pm

See the face of local champion……….Too much hype for some people in Nigeria……….You can scream hell but I dont have to read it all……..I have my own opinion,so do you!…….Very trashy!

47. Star

March 4, 2015 at 1:37 pm

Can you guys stop being dumb and stupid and read her statement properly. She stated that a friend called and asked why she was having a train ride with ordinary people. I just wonder how u guys passed your JAMB exam? Gosh!!! Mercy you don’t owe anyone an explanation.

• Tomatoes

March 4, 2015 at 3:08 pm

How do we know? who we go ask? so if ur friend called to say that she saw you on ”okada”, u then release press statement??….

48. bb

March 4, 2015 at 1:40 pm

IT IS A CRIME TO READ ABI?????? I don’t understand why people can’t just read through.

49. Prime Babe

March 4, 2015 at 1:44 pm

May she shouldn’t have replied, but I have come to the conclusion that a lot of people here need lessons in using punctuation marks.

50. bruno

March 4, 2015 at 1:45 pm

im so glad they are not preaching or selling no more catarrh no more cough.

51. Chiemeka Ugo

March 4, 2015 at 1:47 pm

Reading the comments here I can distinguish between those that got F9 in English Language and even F in the university level. This goes to show that our educational system is really falling and also people’s lack of not only reading but also to be able to understand. I weep for my country. We are quick to vomit trash and that is why some people cannot move forward. Comprehension is very important my dear people. Additionally, I understand that some statements do not further need response as in the case of MJ but because I know the kind of people that we breed in this county, for this incident I think she needed to say something instead of keeping quiet. I know you will also say if it was genevive nnaji, she won’t have replied back. Common everybody is different and most not act the same way. And you people saying that this was a paid campaign advert, and so, atleast now you know that GEJ is actually working n he is a silent person. Not our governors like rochas okorocha that will do fake roads n fake free education and make noise about it in the whole of the media. please lets act as civilised human beings.

• NotBendingOver

March 4, 2015 at 3:15 pm

I have read the article and all 70 comments at the time of writing this. It is utterly shameful that people here who think they invented and patented comprehension skills are the ones who need to sign up for basic comprehension classes. It is clear that the nuances of this objectionable statement from Mercy’s PR hounds are lost on you. She didn’t have to issue any statement but she chose to, this was clearly done to stanch the backlash she was getting from the train pictures which she released. The person who wrote that statement should never write again. Who needs to know that Mercy’s ‘Range Rover’ broke down and that she could ask someone to get another car probably a Bugatti, if she wanted to? That is irrelevant and utterly self-serving. Nigerian actors and pseudo-celebrities have illusions of grandeur. Mercy you are not that much of a big deal, no one is.

• Nahum

March 4, 2015 at 3:58 pm

GBAM!!!!

• BO

March 4, 2015 at 11:41 pm

oma se ooooo…….the London tube that is just like molue does the branding&packaging people not enter it….awon were mad people

52. jefka

March 4, 2015 at 1:51 pm

i saw Paul okoye with his family shopping at ebeano, i am still wondering why he hasnt coem to explain why he shops with ordinary people.
    this release of statement was totally irrelevant.
    y’all shouting read, read, read……….truth is most pple cant be bothered to read smtn wit dt kinda demeaning heading.

March 4, 2015 at 2:14 pm

Thank you my dear. Explanation was not necessary AT ALL!!. The slightest of even having to mention your ”Range Rover” car..aaarrrrgh. Well, welldone Mercy!

PS: I also do see Lola at Ebeano on several occasions too 😀

53. NG

March 4, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Politics or not, i sure am glad to see a train like this one operating in Naija. What we enjoy abroad is here! Good! Hope it is as afoordable as they come abroad 7 hope Nigerians can appreciate this development and sutain the effort

• coke

March 4, 2015 at 3:00 pm

its N750 per ride.

54. nameoh

March 4, 2015 at 2:14 pm

Kudos to Mercy for keeping it real. More celebrities should follow her footsteps and stop trying to kill themselves. I respect her for taking the train and defending her position!

55. Ebony

March 4, 2015 at 2:16 pm

Hay God o, so she couldn’t she say “when my car”. It had to be when my range rover, lol

56. tee

March 4, 2015 at 2:36 pm

To show GEJ that you are actually doing wht he paid you to do. ( campaigning) not feeling the pains of your so called “ordinary people “( the suffering masses). God is watching all of you in 3 D. Ride on mama Purity, we all kw the truth bt living in denial.

57. Anonymous

March 4, 2015 at 2:39 pm

BN,please can you do something about your screaming headlines that tend to relay the wrong message especially with the fact most people tend to react first at headlines before reading.

58. ladyB

March 4, 2015 at 2:46 pm

I just luv Mj..

59. Kemo

March 4, 2015 at 2:47 pm

Forget MJ – I can’t get past a decent looking civilised train in Lagos……….can BN please do an article and investigate further! 🙂 (seriously)

60. shannaro

March 4, 2015 at 2:51 pm

why y’all refusing to give mercy a cookie for her humbling display about a train ride?? always dragging people smh had enough of you >:( never mind ordinary sef cn’t you see in her statement that she is human just wish the babe goodluck with her future incoming ranges and go and prepare to vote

61. Tomatoes

March 4, 2015 at 3:02 pm

people..which ever way u see or understand this statement, whatever her reason for entering…and posing..inside the train..we need not know. this statement is uncalled for..if her friend(s) called her up to tell her that she is riding with ”ordinary people” (who we go ask anyways)..what she shld do is to scold such friends..and not coming out with a press statement as this…indirectly agreeing with the friend(s) that truly there is/are “‘ordinary people”” and she did ride with them.

62. coke

March 4, 2015 at 3:04 pm

i was reading the write up but had to stop when i got to “range rover”… why are people so vain these days sef?

63. Poverty no dey wash

March 4, 2015 at 3:05 pm

This is exactly the problem with Nigeria. We are already a failed nation if we view some of our own, the very ones that we were once part of people that would devalue your brand. Thank you Mercy Johnson for your response. I love you even more now. To those people who have been telling her about the devaluing effect on her brand, let me say this to you. You probably were not born with a silver spoon in your mouth. The people with the most aversion to poverty are those who were entrenched in it so much and without hope that when they finally escape it physically, they try so hard to escape it mentally. Unfortunately, the brain has a way of retaining all information, new or old. Even the ones you cannot remember unconsciously shape your mannerisms and reactions. So you can buy all the luxury soap you can afford, and funkify your name, and change your face and wear long hair and versace of YSL or Chanel, and hang out with those who arrived before you so that their affect and status can rub off of you. YOU WILL NEVER SHAKE OFF THE LASTING EFFECT OF POVERTY. let me elaborate further. If your mom could not feed you well because of poverty at birth, you will probably die before you have enough time to hobnob with the “born to the rich” because they got the right nutrition and will get to at least 80 years of age. You will start falling apart around 40-50. Second, if your body does not pack up, the social trails of poverty will take you down – relatives, acquaintances from a poor past, who are probably still entrenched in poverty because of your mentality. Some of them will find you and take you down because they can and because they are struggling to overcome the dire proclamations of poverty on their lives. Finally, you will never really be accepted among the “born to the rich” because guess what, their perspectives on life are miles ahead of where yours are, so they can sniff you out. They may not talk about you in front of you per etiquette but they know you when you show up. You can copy them, try hard to fake it, but deep down within, you will forever feel like you will never measure up because what their brains can fathom, yours has been shaped by poverty to not even comprehend. Yes, that is the lasting physiological effect of poverty – lower IQ, poor executive functioning to mention a few. I was going to say your children will catch up but actually we now know that the gap that is created transcends generations. Sorry. Not my research. The white man you probably adore more than God and your person published that one.

Until Nigerians begin see each other as humans, the country will continue to fail.

64. tunmi

March 4, 2015 at 3:08 pm

Well, they did read the headline. BN I am side-eyeing you but not too much cause controversy generates traffic. Her explanation jumbled humility and arrogance. Honestly this part would have been enough “I needed a fast , reliable and convenient alternative immediately” and then include “seeing fans” full stop. No mention of car, no mention of others being shocked. Just appreciate the service and people

65. Aunty

March 4, 2015 at 3:09 pm

Pls where does the train go to? Has eko rail really taken off?

66. rynyx

March 4, 2015 at 3:13 pm

this babe is such a fantastic actress I swear. totally unrelated to the subject matter but am kinda curious, please what kind of appointment were you rushing to? I cant get past the ripped jeans? official or hospital maybe???

67. Fyfi

March 4, 2015 at 3:13 pm

Seriously Nigerians?….come off it!! We are all ordinary people(Rich, you,me,poor,middle class, Barack Obama etc) and sing to John Legend’s song!…..what part of the below statement did people misunderstand?….Geexx

” A friend called and said I just devalued my brand by being on the train with ordinary people. I couldn’t help but laugh. Are we extra ordinary people because we are celebrities?

By the way, I am part of the ordinary people. I grew up as an ordinary person among ordinary people. Why would I avoid them now? Would that be because I am now famous? Without these ordinary people, how would I have been famous in the first place? Without the so called ordinary people, where would Nigeria’s growing population of so-called well packaged celebrities be today?”

68. Tim

March 4, 2015 at 3:17 pm

Well kudos to Mercy Johnson, this campaign advert has really gotten the attention of Nigerians.
    That fact that she had to issue this statement validates our suspicion that this is just a campaign strategy for uncle Jona. Tomorrow She’ll tell us how her range rover takes 2 hours from lagos to benin because nigerian roads are now better.

69. Mrs oluwole

March 4, 2015 at 3:21 pm

Leave Mercy alone please!

70. Iris

March 4, 2015 at 3:33 pm

It doesn’t matter what her intentions were. This just comes off as patronising. It is not by force to respond to every comment or question people ask. She should have said nothing (plus I don’t know if the mention of the kind of car she drove was deliberate…). This little letter about how virtuous she is was unnecessary. These Nigerian celebrities are just showing us daily that there are certain things money cannot buy.

• Mama

March 4, 2015 at 10:20 pm

Of course patronising to small minds like you…….is it her fault people had to make a big issue out of her hoarding a train? Celebrities have their everyday lives like u and I, but they post stuffs about their everyday lives and people make a big deal out of it…..it generated a lot of comments hence her reply and it’s her prerogative to mention whatever drives the best explanation for her….

71. ADA!!!

March 4, 2015 at 3:46 pm

WOW!!!! train in Lagos??? Well done. You people should leave Mercy alone. appreciate the development.

72. Noella

March 4, 2015 at 3:51 pm

Taking herself too seriously…if a whole Prince William could fly coach who is anyone else?? The real rich ppl with means and clout don’t make a big deal of this nonsense. It’s the money miss roads forcing guys that get caught up in this nonsense.

73. fay

March 4, 2015 at 3:55 pm

It’s amazing to me how ppl see this as promoting her brand..its like negative attention or anything it takes to get attention is worth the attention…

74. LEIGH

March 4, 2015 at 3:56 pm

My love for her just multiplied 10 times.

75. Alyyahdadu

March 4, 2015 at 3:58 pm

MJ you are the best. I know your worth, you are down to earth. That’s why people love your movies. No celebrity can compare to you when it com to mingle with ordinary people. Love you girl! You’re the best.

76. oluchy

March 4, 2015 at 4:00 pm

l saw these and laughed, yesterday, l applauded her but today l watched her advert for Jonathan for transformation so l know better now. Dear MJ, you were just doing what you were paid for abeg, no need for that your long statement.

77. NaijaPikin

March 4, 2015 at 4:11 pm

Abeg Mercy should go somewhere with that bulls-t. She was paid to get in that train, take pictures, and release this nonsense press release.

I’m really at a loss for words on why a grown a-s woman, who pays her own bills needs to explain her rationale for catching a train. It means in her heart, she really thinks the train is beneath her and has to provide an explanation on why she stooped so low.

Let’s not even get into the comment on “my range rover”. Saying “my car” won’t have sufficied abi?

insecure mofos running around lagos. If you want to enter train or danfo instead of taxi, eat buka food instead of over priced chinese, go to beer joint instead of sip/likwid you don’t owe anyone an explanation. as long as you are doing what ,makes “YOU” happy, do it unapologetically. When you start giving explanations, you sound like a fraud.

78. Tony

March 4, 2015 at 4:14 pm

MY RANGE ROVER WEEEENNNN… OH MY RANGE ROVER OH.. Who told you to go and buy tokumbo range over?? just want to feel among.. abeg make we hear word joor

79. Madame Solange

March 4, 2015 at 4:16 pm

In Ibo parlance, Umu uwa”. In Yoruba “Awon Aye” Abeg Hausa someone please interpret

80. precy

March 4, 2015 at 4:21 pm

One thing is to read, its another to comprehend. Become a celebrity and watch people bug you over irrelevant issues.

81. MC

March 4, 2015 at 4:23 pm

which ever way we like it she’s a celeb! and her taking a train is unusual, lets stop fooling ourselves most us who don’t have half her money or popularity won’t enter a train. Even if it’s PR stunt for the train service or GEJ at least the trains are working better now. kudos GEJ, Kudos MJ.

• teniola

March 4, 2015 at 11:30 pm

The voice of backwardness.

82. anonymous

March 4, 2015 at 4:24 pm

Is this a joke?This idiot lives in Baltimore a ratched and ghetto place in MD. I bet she lives in an apartment or an old house. Don’t you ride the subway or metro in the big city? To know more about Baltimore guys watch ‘The Wire’

83. Jojo

March 4, 2015 at 4:26 pm

The train looks nice and much cleaner than the metro here in DC. I look forward to taking a ride in it when next I am in town.

Like her response. What is ordinary people? the folks in the train looked my fine to me – 2 legs a piece, one head …etc. By the way Mercy, you brand has just gone up. Kudos to you

84. Wale

March 4, 2015 at 4:26 pm

Sha, the only reason there was so much traffic in lagos that day was because jonadaft was in town. So the people that sent her to do PR for govt. train are also the people that enabled her train ride.

85. June

March 4, 2015 at 5:09 pm

Ha ! I am definitely going into PR. Your PR team should be fired..That long statement was SO UNECESSARY ! Madame, you do not need to explain your choice of transportation to anyone. 2. You decided to. You seem to be coming from a good place but your choice of words and the whole statement rubs off the WRONGGGG WAY . I saw the pictures yesterday and was more impressed with the fact that Nigeria had a running rail system than you using it. In my opinion, your statement has done two things, 1. Lowered favorable public opinion of you. 2. Served as a distraction to the bigger picture of having a working railway system in the country. #SAYINGitHowIseeIT#

86. Ada

March 4, 2015 at 5:15 pm

Thanks Mercy Johnson.I reside in United states,I never knew we have a nice Train like the one i just saw you and your family.Whenever, i come to Lagos that will be my mode of transportation.Good job Mercy.

87. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

March 4, 2015 at 5:21 pm

Please we need this kind of train to Ajah. Any in the pipeline

88. Anonymouse

March 4, 2015 at 6:23 pm

The Nigerian mentality never ceases to amaze me. Why does ANYONE need to justify getting on a train to get to where they have to go. It is a mode of transport, end of story. Celebrities in the US get on the subway in NY and all the major cities all the time and they do not write Op-Ed pieces to justify this.

89. Hauwa Dauda

March 4, 2015 at 6:42 pm

Dear Mercy Johnson,
    We have seen your adverts on TV campaigning for GEJ and this publicity stunt is just part of it. I mean you seriously want us to believe that you where heading for an important appointment with your husband and daughter in tow Puhleeeez! Ok I believe you. Wonder why this is even news?

90. Sunshine

March 4, 2015 at 7:28 pm

Mayor Bloomberg (Billionaire) ,owner of Bloomberg news et al, took the subway every single day while in office ( for 8 years ) in New York City. He mingled with the crowd during his trips without any bruhaha. So, whats the big deal that a middle class babe is riding the train home to avoid the Lagos traffic?. Please ppl stop making something out of nothing. NO STORY HERE.

• BO

March 4, 2015 at 11:32 pm

like seriously….wtf…….the train is meant for everyone……brand and I wonder which brand.

91. anu

March 4, 2015 at 9:22 pm

at the end of the day, all you commenters don’t have sense if you can only notice the ordinary people comment nd not the main reason behind this train ride and long note to people. OBVIOUSLY, this is a campaign for GEJ, OBVIOUSLY…….. jeez! I can’t believe not one person noticed this.

92. Rachel Ke

March 4, 2015 at 9:27 pm

Your Royal Highness Mercy Johnson Okojie, Duchess of Agege. We ordinary people were highly honoured by the awesomeness of your presence that day on the train. As is clear from the pictures, we all swarmed and almost lynched you just to take a picture and get an autograph; some of us even fainted. A privilege it was indeed to have ridden the train with you, I am glad you chose not to send someone home to bring the Ferrari.

• Eniola

March 5, 2015 at 9:52 am

This post make me laugh

• bluebell

March 5, 2015 at 9:44 pm

LMAO! !!!!

93. tilda

March 4, 2015 at 9:52 pm

No one that God has created is ORDINARY. We have all being wonderfully made. Money does not make you EXTRAORDINARY. It is the Grace of God that does that. All the money in the world cannot buy you the EXTRAORDINARY peace and joy that comes from God’s grace. Mercy dear wealth does not make you EXTRAORDINARY. You do not owe anyone an explanation for travelling by train. In fact you have done good promoting Nigerian public transport.they should give you an endorsement deal. By the way fire your publicist.

94. Linda cross

March 4, 2015 at 11:13 pm

You are a very genuine human being and i know that for a fact,keep it up darling

95. Janity

March 4, 2015 at 11:44 pm

All na marketing… #GEJ #PDP

tweet @sane_jayne

96. mywifeisfiiiiiiine

March 5, 2015 at 3:27 am

I am so late to this piece of news, so . MJ entered train and what is paining my fellow Nigerians is that she was paid to enter the train or that she mentioned range or that she talked about ordinary people? You guys are not singing to high heavens that we have something that has the semblance of a decent train, you are angry that the train looks good and it is a PR stunt, I thought you people said GEJ hasn’t done shit, he shows you what he had done and you are mad? We are in trouble with bad belle people.

97. kanebi

March 5, 2015 at 6:41 am

Comprehension, comprehension. It’s more than reading words. It’s getting the meaning. Yes you could have scored A in basic English what about literature. You mean you guys are so blighted as not to pick up the arrogant undertone in this her ‘look at me I am rich and humble statement’ so she used public transport and her Vain friends had a question. She wasn’t intelligent enough to ask them to P off. She had to dignify their idiotic questions with an equally idiotic answer. Well did not expect anything less from this one, apparently not much different from her friends. Birds that flock together and all dat. And supporters of Mediocrity, don’t be so stupid as to think you guys are the only ones who can fling around cheap insults at anyone who has an opinion so just stay on your lane I’ve got all day .

98. oy

March 5, 2015 at 9:22 am

why do you even think you have to explain yourself ehn

99. Eniola

March 5, 2015 at 9:50 am

Common Mercy!!! There was realli no need for this. I applaud you for taking the train though as a Celeb. but all those stories of car broke down, needed to get somwhere fast with ur full famili onboard and ur team mates snapping ur selfii. this was a campaign strategy noww. Who be fool…

100. queen

March 5, 2015 at 9:58 am

MJ might nt really need to explain though , buh anyone can be on a train for crying out loud if i av d opportunity and dats d only wayout why nt? dey say tis a campaign buh really for what na so if u see a celebrity using tap water na pdp everything na campaign…..nigerians pls wake up una too backward kilodeeeee…..cant ya’ll jus be real for ones in ur lives, dey go to foreign countries n use trains haba…this train m seeing is clean and would love to be on it sha if i can. even dou na campaign make una embrase wetin una get and stop bin backward. ish

101. Eniola

March 5, 2015 at 10:01 am

The continually usage of her choice of words ordinary ruined every good part of her statement. An element of i have arrived

102. Pwettyblessed

March 5, 2015 at 10:27 am

So how does this change the fact that traffic from Chevron to Ikate is getting worse by the day?#MisplacedPriorities

By the way, if you think you’re ordinary then you are.

oh and if I may, I think some people need to study their GST 101 again… “Reading & Comprehension” to be precise… smh

• tomatoes

March 5, 2015 at 11:10 am

Oh deary..that traffic is killing…

103. ArcGaijin

March 5, 2015 at 10:56 am

Do not blame Nigerians for their outburst rather blame the journalist for a wrong caption. They are the ones that didn’t go to school to learn how to write a story with a caption that feels like a summary. The title could be more like: Mercy Johnson on a train ride with her “fellow ordinary people” in lagos

104. cybernd

March 5, 2015 at 12:52 pm

“My Range Rover” as against “my car” because we had to know it was a range rover that developed fault

105. Blessing

March 5, 2015 at 6:41 pm

ride on Mercy…..in the sight of our Creator, we are all equal and no one is superior to the other. I would also love to ride in that train one day, it looks cleans and cool inside..thumps up dear

106. patrice

March 5, 2015 at 7:57 pm

nice to see that nigeria a train that is not over crowded and look like the one in london. well done.

107. Dorothy

March 5, 2015 at 8:07 pm

I loved you yesterday Mercy, I love you today and I’ll always love you. You’re not just beautiful and good at what you do, you’re also very God-fearing, intelligent, mature and respectful.
    Damn ye haters

108. liz

March 5, 2015 at 9:20 pm

I will say her reply is directed at her fellow celebs

109. Georgetta

March 6, 2015 at 2:17 am

Oh, how I love this girl. She’s so real, humble and down to earth.

110. Lili

March 6, 2015 at 9:16 am

Well well well, u guys cut d chic some slack whatever she was doing on d train is indeed her business and even if she was paid to do so i see noffin wrong with it, dat how she earns her money and it’s non of y’ all ‘s bizness.
    Mercy personally i think u owe no one any xplanation for being on a train buh it’s alright…..Happy teeny weeny weekend folks
    #Elebanza #

111. Jennie

March 6, 2015 at 11:47 am

Mercy… Honey…. pls pls and pls…. do not explain next time what you are doing anywhere or why you boarded what to where. It really does not matter and should not be anybody’s business. The fact that you explained now makes you look like an attention seeker. Next time you enter a bus, train, lorry or even trek because it was a short distance pls just keep it yourself dear. Your Life, do what you want to with it and do not explain yourself.

112. louisa

April 22, 2015 at 3:34 pm

Mercy such situations like this should be used for the best. Like being photographed with fellow passengers and happyily holding the baby of the fellow passenger. We did not need to see your husbands image. Moreover a simple caption like a ‘ happy train ride from iddo to ikeja’ would have been more appropriate. Goodluck dear.