Scoop

Why Humility Counts…Read How Ja Rule missed Out on “The Fast & the Furious” Success

Ja Rule Ludacris Furious 7We came across this story and decided to share. It is great to be reminded that humility has its rewards while lack of humility can have unfortunate consequences.

Everyone knows that the “The Fast & the Furious” franchise is one of the biggest in the world. The new movie “Furious 7” is set to break box office records this weekend.

Rapper Ja Rule had a small role in the first movie and was poised to take a leading role in the next film but here is what happened.

It wasn’t that he just refused the role but the way he did it certainly burned bridges!

On the flipside, rapper Ludacris was incredibly receptive and humble. Today, 6 movies later, he is still part of the successful franchise.

Read what Director John Singleton shared in an exclusive interview with Grantland

“Ja got too big for himself. He turned it down. He turned down a half a million dollars,” Singleton said. “He got 15 grand to be in the first movie. He was really big at that time. I guess Murder Inc. was throwing out hits and were making money hand over foot.

He was acting like he was too big to be in the sequel. He wouldn’t return calls. I went to the studio to go see him — that’s just my mantra, I deal with a lot of music people. He was kinda playing me to the side and I was like, ‘What? What is this shit?’ This was all initiated by me.

I then made a call. I called Ludacris. I said, ‘Hey, Luda, I haven’t met you before, but I like what you’re doing right now.’ Luda was all humble, excited to meet me. I said, ‘I’m doing this movie and I’m wondering if you want to be a part of it.’ He goes, ‘What? Yeah! Anything you do I want to be a part of.’

That’s how Ludacris got in 2 Fast 2 Furious, and the rest is history.”

Ja Rule became Ludacris. Edwin became Tej. The Fast and the Furious went from potential franchise to the 16th-highest-grossing franchise in history. Ludacris would go on to appear in Crash and Hustle & Flow — and three more Fast & Furious films.

“Ja Rule not doing 2 Fast 2 Furious changed Ludacris’s life,” Singleton said. “Years later I saw Ja Rule at the Source Awards and we joked about it. I took him under my arm and said, ‘Man, when I call you, you listen. I ain’t calling you for no bullshit.’ He said, ‘Yeah, man, I’m sorry about that.’ He apologized.

1. jennietobbie

April 4, 2015 at 2:36 pm

Hindsight is 20/20. Life!!!

• Yvonne

April 4, 2015 at 3:24 pm

Inlaw Happy Easter oh! This one you are first to comment lol

• jennietobbie

April 5, 2015 at 4:10 am

LMAOOOOO. Inlaw m!!!! I cant believe this hahahaha. I can only access BN early in the morning before my busy world starts. Happy Easter ooo

• Ba

April 7, 2015 at 2:50 am

He never made that mistake again as he fallen in love with the church girl

2. Http://xplorenollywood.blogspot.com

April 4, 2015 at 3:28 pm

Acts turn down roles all the time! Not sure why John Singleton is making a deal out of it. If JA had called him and said I don’t want to do this straight up will it make it better or is it the humility in the headline I don’t get! Angela Basset turn down Monster’s Ball, to which Halle won an Oscar! Denzel turned down a role that went to Will Smith and was a bit hit, so what? What is the big deal if he turned it down or is John throwing shade like, it’s not like JA has a bubbling music career right! Asides The Rock, how many of the other acts on the Fast franchise has a bubbling acting career? Vin Disel makes loads more cos he produces, what do the others have? If u ask me, the whole franchise is another way Hollywood is ripping us off and this movie will probably wip up sentiments especially to Paul walker fans… What am I really trying to say, in life u need to take risks, sometimes they work, other times they don’t.

• Miss

April 4, 2015 at 5:03 pm

Shut up with yout long nonsensical epistle. Singletonb is just giving advice to the celebs who feel too big sometimes to learn to stay humble no matter how big u get, cos you never know the wind tide will change.

. Whether Vin, Ty, Luda etc are have bubbling movie career or not, do u know the millions they’ve made from tha fast furious alone? Being a busy actor acting gazillion movies vs 1 movie s year doesnt make u rich, but u wouldn’t know that cos you have a poor nollywood mentality.

• me

April 4, 2015 at 5:28 pm

Pained much…calm yourself down. . All he is trying to say is, turn it down the right way. I have had my pride slow down my opportunities and it was not the when or why but the how. Always leave with a good record

• eyong

April 4, 2015 at 6:49 pm

My sentiments exactly. For what ever reason he turned it down, he did, and that is history. Ofcourse, all things considered, I do think ja rule should have handled it better, but oh well. Besides, let’s no act like ludacris is making even 0.5/10th 0f he box office grosses, so callung out 16th highest grossing movie” really has nothing to do with him. Anywho good for all those involved.

3. bukky

April 4, 2015 at 4:37 pm

That’s life. You win some, you lose some. Has Singleton himself worked on every script that’s been brought before him?

4. Animal Doctor

April 4, 2015 at 6:29 pm

It’s not the fact that he turned it down that was the issue, it was THE WAY he went about it. That showed pride which has now proven to have come before his fall. If he had turned it down professionally and in a courteous manner, there would have been no issues there, and Singleton being the professional he is would probably have been happy to have called him for another project in the future. You see this story is just one episode in the life of Ja Rule when he was rich and famous, and it might give us a glimpse of what he was generally like and why he no one has been willing to assist him in getting back on his feet. If you know the story about his beef with 50 cent, you’ll know that this was the same thing that caused their beef, only 50 is a different personality type form Singleton so he took it personal.

MASSIVE lesson to be learnt here about pride and the way you treat people.

5. nene

April 4, 2015 at 9:20 pm

ludacris seems like a down to earth kinda guy. however, ja rule behaved like any other big star would’ve behaved, most of these celebrities are not humble, so i can’t say it’s a surprise.

6. Udochi

April 4, 2015 at 9:39 pm

Awwwww… Too bad for jarule…you never know Wat the future holds
    Most artistes here better learn it’s not by making quick money…they better keep their heads down and stop lookin for the next person to tear down. Life is not a competition

7. bim

April 4, 2015 at 11:13 pm

This is a big lesson 4 us all.most of us have watched fast and furious and I think it’s a blockbuster,i loved all d acts.and it made me luv ludacris more.i evn think luda fitted into d act more Dan ja rule Wuld ve.so it shows God has a plan 4 Everythin and all things Wuld eventually turn out right @ d end.pride comes before a fall they say,it pays 2 b humble,i am not sure d producer is angry dat jarule dint feature in d movie.its d way he went about it.he dint respond 2 d msges 2 either accept or deny politely,he evened played around d producer wen he visited him personally @ d end they met @ source awards wen his career is @ d lowest point.it shows dat all dat we think we have dat makes us raise our shoulders high can vanish @ any minute,all dat we need is 2 stay humble cos it uplifts us eventually.luda is earning so much from fast and furious nd am sure deep down ja rule Wuld ve wished he took d offer ,@ dis point it Wuld ve still given him sum publicity..dats why he apologised eventually.lesson learnt.

8. ade

April 5, 2015 at 8:07 am

Humility really counts…
    visit spycies12.wordpress.com

9. Tosin

April 6, 2015 at 10:02 am

Who is this one? So Ja Rule can’t speak for himself, he needs random director guy to diss him publicly? Hollywood is wicked.

10. Fresh clean fine toto eater

April 10, 2015 at 4:40 am

I am sure Ja rule is regretting his actions