Music

RIP… Classic FM On-Air Personality Sylvester ‘Sly’ Ojigbede Passes Away

Screenshot_2015-05-04-09-13-42Classic FM on-air personality Sylvester ‘Sly’ Ojigbede has died after a spinal cord related illness.

His death was confirmed by his friend and co-host Tintin, who celebrated him with these words:

“Sly … The hardest worker I have ever worked with, my protégée, co-host and adopted nephew… It’s nothing but smooth sailing now buddy! I’m hurting so bad, but at least I had the honor of seeing you in your final hours. Thank you for being such a good guy. Ciao Sly….Peaceful journey. RIP”

Sly is survived by his wife and two kids.

IMG_1350

1 23 4

Classic FM has also released an official statement:

Classic FM 97.3 deeply regret to announce the passing of one of our Presenters Sylvester Ojigbede popularly known as SLY, who was the host of the ‘Morning Show’ and Saturday morning show ‘Saturday Express’ on our station.

Sly passed away on Sunday the 3rd of May after a brief illness.

Funeral arrangements will be announced by his family.

Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife, children and extended family at this difficult time. May his soul rest in peace. He will be deeply missed by all of us.

Photo Credit: Instagram.com/slydunbarus

1. Damsel

May 4, 2015 at 11:08 am

I am so so sad right now,he was one of the best oap that i know.

2. Zeb

May 4, 2015 at 11:09 am

OMG, such a young guy, I feel for his wife n kids. Rest in peace

3. Adaeze Writes

May 4, 2015 at 11:13 am

Awww…may his soul rest in peace. Amen.

4. Busola

May 4, 2015 at 11:14 am

R.I.P. He will be missed greatly by we his audience. My prayers go out to his family and loved ones, may they find solace.

5. cinderella

May 4, 2015 at 11:18 am

Oh no!this is so sad I listen to him bukola and Jimmy disu every week day…..rest in peace.

6. Beeee

May 4, 2015 at 11:30 am

Rest in perfect peace Sly.

7. jennifer Akuns

May 4, 2015 at 11:38 am

Rest In peace may God Grant your family the fortitude to bear the loss.

8. VICTORIA

May 4, 2015 at 11:45 am

Awww! this is so sad…no wonder the front page headlines did come up this morning. may his soul rest in eternal peace. i pray that god will keep and strengthen his family to bear this great loss.

9. Adanna

May 4, 2015 at 11:50 am

Rest in peace Sly

10. Allan Smith

May 4, 2015 at 11:57 am

Would sure miss you on the early morning Front Page News and Analysis on radio every week…Rest in Peace Bro…

11. chinyere odimegwu O.

May 4, 2015 at 12:00 pm

May he find rest in the bossom of our Lord. Amen

12. @edDREAMZ

May 4, 2015 at 12:32 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    May his soul RIP…
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

13. surprised

May 4, 2015 at 12:36 pm

Rest in peace Father Sly. I will miss your morning banters with JIMI and Bukola. RIP. I miss you

14. Ama

May 4, 2015 at 1:15 pm

It hurts so bad that Sly has to live this world so soon,This life though!!! So sad RIP Sly

15. Tinuola

May 4, 2015 at 1:20 pm

Rest in peace sly!

16. Onyeka

May 4, 2015 at 1:26 pm

FATHER SLY “IN JIMI DISU’S VOICE”, TO SAY IM SHOCKED IS AN UNDER STATEMENT COS JIMI NEVER MENTIONED SLY WAS ILL, MY CREW PROBABLY THOUGHT YOU HAD OTHER ENGAGEMENTS…… RIP BRO, MAY GOD COMFORT YOUR FAMILY….

17. Matthew Umoren

May 4, 2015 at 1:38 pm

So shocking! Sly! Haba

18. Strit Kredibility

May 4, 2015 at 1:57 pm

RIP. God comfort your family

19. A-nony

May 4, 2015 at 2:08 pm

Wow. I actually thought he resigned, after they replaced him with Yinka on newspaper review show, who by the way, isn’t half as good as Sly is. Listening to him and Jimi Disu argue . . . . Rest in peace Sly. Only you knew how to tackle Jimi.

• Temitope

May 4, 2015 at 4:05 pm

I listen to FPN Tuesdays to Friday, I’d say please do not compare them… everyone has his or her own strengths and weaknesses. Jimi Disu brings out the best in all of them IMO thus my reason for not joining the program on Mondays.

Father Sly was a great guy and he will surely be missed 🙁 … my condolences to Jimi, Yinka, Bukola and all FPN listeners out there.

20. lihaira(Baby)

May 4, 2015 at 2:12 pm

RIP uncle sly will miss you….(BABY)

21. xoxo

May 4, 2015 at 2:31 pm

RIP Sly, take heart Ivy.

22. Aderonke says #Bring BackOurGirls#

May 4, 2015 at 2:59 pm

So sad, another young gift taken away…..May the Lord comfort his family and loved ones. You had an amazing voice….Sleep on bro!

23. isaac shina

May 4, 2015 at 3:12 pm

what a loss. what a loss. what a loss. may God uphold your wife and kids. RIP dear SLY.

24. TA

May 4, 2015 at 3:38 pm

Very sad news. I have been wondering where Sly went and now this. May God console his family.

25. Leksman

May 4, 2015 at 3:48 pm

Father Sly would be greatly missed. May God comfort his immediate family.

26. Andersen

May 4, 2015 at 5:07 pm

So unfortunate but God knows
    Will miss him so much. My prayers for the wife & kids. RIP

27. Iruemi Izirei Amos

May 4, 2015 at 5:16 pm

First time I am doing this. I am an ardent listener of your radio station. I enjoyed every bit of SLY’S presentation. Rest in perfect peace. ‘JIMMY’ may God grant you the fortitude to bear the loss.

28. Iniabasi Okon

May 4, 2015 at 5:25 pm

To say I’d miss him is an understatement. We became friends over the years. He was always there to lend a helping hand. Truly he was a hard worker. His young daughters should know they had the best father while he was around. I pray for the repose of his soul, and the wife and kids the fortitude to bear this irreparable loss.

29. Kay

May 4, 2015 at 5:46 pm

RIP Sly. Yours, Jimi’s and Bukky’s voices kept us through countless hours of early morning Lagos traffic. You will be missed, and my condolence goes to your wife and young kids. You and your crew enriched our minds while you were here, and your never ending banter with Jimi was priceless. You always spoke up against injustice and other ills of our society.

Rest on “Father Sly”….. Go well….. Go well.

30. Kingsley Evru

May 4, 2015 at 6:43 pm

The news of Sly’s death came to me with a shock. I’m short of words, it’s really a cold world. We will miss your absence……………………………….. but God knows why he took you. R. I. P. May God grant your family the fortitude to bear the lose.

31. babakay

May 4, 2015 at 8:06 pm

SLY! Am really going to miss you. R I P! Great Guy!

32. serendipity

May 4, 2015 at 10:28 pm

So so sad. I will miss you like I knew you in person Sly. Your voice on radio will never be forgotten . May God comfort the love of your life and children. Rest on.

33. matthew

May 5, 2015 at 5:39 am

rap and hip hop master fpn analyzer miss u so much.was already getting worried after your sudden disappearance on radio but thought u were on leave. may God help your wife and kids

34. hrh

May 5, 2015 at 8:52 am

I wondered why he had been off FPN all this while, never knew he was ill. He was well versed in all genres of music. Loved the rapport btw him, jimi and bukola. RIP sir.

35. Emmanuel

May 5, 2015 at 9:09 am

This is rather sad. Sly is Gone forever?May the Almighty God Grant the family the fortitude to bear this irreparable loss.RIP sly.

36. JULIE

May 5, 2015 at 10:36 am

OMG, Death hw i wish u ll take money and leave sly to live, He s sure a cool guy and lovely voice. RIP bro. May God comfort ur love ones Amen.

37. Jossy

May 5, 2015 at 10:50 am

This was the last thing i aspect to hear from your sudden absence on air.May God comfort ur loved ones.R.I,P Father Sly.

38. bee

May 5, 2015 at 11:47 am

Father Sly..You will definately be missed.RIP

39. Seyi

May 5, 2015 at 12:10 pm

Dear Sly,

Rest in the bosom of the Lord, so sad that you’re gone so soon.. I pray you rest in his arms eternally. Heartbreaking!

40. Michael

May 5, 2015 at 1:27 pm

Death is a compulsory terminal end to be tasted by everyone. God is the supreme being who is privy to the appointment booking with death. When, how and where are the details which are only known to God. Its okay to feel bad, worried and down because of the departed but the most important thing is still you the reader of this piece: what will be your testimony after your departure? Good night friend!

41. BABATUNDE ODUBANWO

May 5, 2015 at 7:06 pm

a time to be born,a time to die.Slyvester,you made an indellible marks in the hearts of
    your amiable dearie,beautiful kids,family members,colleagues,friends,listeners,collegues.
    With your enigmatic voice ringing yet im my ears,my heart pounding faster than the sprinter feet…..BABATUNDE MISSES YOU…….Though we never met in person.Sun re o

42. shola

May 6, 2015 at 12:07 pm

This is shocking really,alws looking forward to the trios’ (Sly(RIP),Buki & uncle JD) newspaper commentaries in the mornings as we sit for hours in early morn traffic.My heart goes out to his young family,may the Lord give them the fortitude to bear the loss. I wish the immediate family would get some kind of financial support (esp. for the kids education) from the media house???
    P.S: A reminder to us all- JESUS IS COMING SOON,BE PREPARED!

43. jenni

May 7, 2015 at 3:04 pm

RIP SLY..short of words…

44. olamilekan makanjuola

May 8, 2015 at 2:07 pm

it is very painful to get to know that u are no more with us but why
    may God grant the family the fortitude to bear the loss