Relationships

Tina Knowles-Lawson Writes Heartfelt Open Letter to Beyoncé, Solange, and Kelly Rowland for Mother’s Day

BellaNaija.com

Tina KnowlesMother’s Day is just around the corner (May 10) and in a special feature for Time Magazine, Beyoncé’s mum Tina Knowles-Lawson who got married a few weeks ago, wrote a heartfelt and amazing open letter to Beyoncé, Solange, Angie and Kelly Rowland.

She wrote in the letter titled ‘You Have Been Such a Blessing to Me’:

To Beyoncé, Solange, Kelly and Angie

When I was asked to write an open letter to you, I thought about the hundreds of texts and emails that I have sent to you on holidays and on Sundays, when I ask you to say a prayer to thank God for each other. Every day, I wake up thinking about how much I love, admire and cherish each of you.

I gave birth to two of you, but I have four incredible daughters. Writing this brought to mind all the ways you guys have been such a blessing to me.

When I’m feeling sad or not-so-cute or maybe a little sorry for myself, and you all include me in your group chat and tell me how hot I still look or how cool I am. Maybe you send me a crazy YouTube video. What actually works best is a cute photo of my grandchildren.

I remember slumber parties after my divorce, when we watched old movies and ate a lot of ice cream. I felt so loved and supported. The roles were reversed, and it was ME who needed nurturing.

I remember my first date when every one of you weighed in on what I should wear.

The obvious things about all of you are apparent. You are all strong, beautiful, intelligent and smart businesswomen. You are so much more than that. You are all kind, generous and you treat people well. You are all amazing mothers, wives, daughters, sisters and friends. All of you have total self-respect.

Beyoncé, I wish people could see how you are when you’re not in front of the camera or on the stage. How compassionate and kind you are to people, how you look them right in the eye when you speak to them. How hard you work, how generous you are with your time and money. How you don’t care if anyone knows about it because you do it from the heart. I wish they could see you with the Make-A-Wish Foundation kids, how patient you are and how your love has helped to extend lives. Yes, you are a huge star, but you have  somehow managed to stay grounded and humble in the wake of all your success.

Solange, I knew when you were born three days late that you would walk to the beat of your own drum. You were always my rebel warrior! Always defending the underdog and fighting for what you believe in. I remember you, at 10 years old, started a petition to remove a bad teacher, and your dad and I were so proud of you. I love that you do not let others define who you are, or what you are. Whether in your music, fashion or your life, you truly are your own incredible, unapologetic person! As tough as you are, you will drop everything to take care of someone you love.

Kelly, I know without a doubt that you were a true gift from God. You came to live with us when you were only 11 years old. You were the sweetest, most kind person I had ever met and you still are. You are also a true survivor. You never give up. Your discipline and drive always inspires me. You make me want to take better care of my body and constantly motivate me to exercise and take time for myself. You have the best listening skills and are a loyal friend to many. I’ve seen you take the jewelry off of your arm and give it to someone because you wanted to make them feel good.

Angie, you are my niece, but we have always been more like mother and daughter! You were always so mature, always challenging me and questioning why. (Fortunately I never believed in the “Because I said so” or “I’m the adult” crap, either.) I always trusted that you would look out for and protect Solange, Kelly and Beyoncé, and you did! You still do sometimes. You are so smart and perceptive, and you see through bullshit right away! You’ve always had our backs. Our own family fixer!! You know I call you Olivia Pope!!

I’m often asked, what was my most proud moment? I would have to say it was at my recent wedding, when all four of you said in your own words that I taught by example and that I helped to make you the women you are today!!!! That was truly my proudest moment!

All my love,

Mom

Other Influential mums who wrote open letters to their children for the Mother’s Day themed issue are Sharon Osbourne, Melissa Etheridge, Ivana Trump, Victoria Beckham and more.

1. www.eniwealth79.blogspot.com

May 7, 2015 at 10:17 am

How sweet… Just hearing about Angie for the first time though.

2. Mystique

May 7, 2015 at 10:23 am

you make me wanna cry……… imagining what my own mum will write about me if she had the chance.

3. Ebony

May 7, 2015 at 10:31 am

Felt like crying before reading it.
    People will soon start saying Michelle wasn’t mentioned. Meanies. She’s not “blood” family though.
    Haha, Solange started a petition to remove a teacher at 10?
    Please tell me y’all read this and cried too

• Shandi

May 7, 2015 at 11:54 am

Same way Kelly isn’t “blood” family. Stupid comment. What are you really on about?
      “People will soon start staying”, none but you made mention of it. If people start saying, you instigated it. I like how you some of you stylishly stir up drama. #SoShady.

• Princess Lulu

May 7, 2015 at 2:48 pm

Kelly is a cousin to beyonce….if iam not mistaken…thats blood

4. tcee

May 7, 2015 at 10:38 am

This is so sweet and touching. I am not surprised about Beyonce, I knew underneath all, she is a wonderful human. I love her song ‘I was here’ so much; I listen to it when I lose the will to trudge on and it spurs me on to make an impact.

5. Ephi

May 7, 2015 at 10:53 am

I have realized the impact of what parents say to us. Reading through birthday messages few days ago, the one that struck me the most was my mum’s message saying how so very proud they both are of me (my folks are not exactly the most emotional/expressive people, lol). That just made my day.
    Note to self: when the time comes, I will always let my kids know how much I appreciate and love them.

6. mrs chidukane

May 7, 2015 at 11:01 am

Awesome letter. Made me tear up a little. Mothers are the best and motherhood rocks! #proudmommy

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

May 7, 2015 at 2:43 pm

Mummys rock! e-hugs

7. Mame

May 7, 2015 at 11:02 am

So touching, I cried a little. U never know people until u ar close to them. A sweet mother’s words to her children, my Daughter is 11 and she always sneak beautiful words note by my bedside appreciating me as a mother. I do the same too.

8. Suwa

May 7, 2015 at 11:10 am

Wowwwwwwwwww

9. prince

May 7, 2015 at 11:51 am

I am a full blown man and I can’t believe seeing tears rolled down my cheeks as I read this. The greatest thing in life is for your parents to be PROUD of you. Its not in the amount of wealth you’ve acquired but how well you’ve lived. This woman just made me love her more. welldone ma

• tunmi

May 7, 2015 at 1:48 pm

“A full blown man” tsk. This is what patriarchy does. It makes it seem like an abomination when men cry.

It does feel good to let it out, doesn’t it?

• Pat

May 7, 2015 at 3:40 pm

“Full blown man” :). I hear u bros, shows u have emotions and its normal.

10. z

May 7, 2015 at 12:22 pm

So touching. I appreciate my mum a lot and she says stuff that touches me too. Dear God, please hearken to the inner most request of my heart and grand me children, if my request is too much, then give me one child to call my own so one day, i would write my child a letter.. Please God? Take away this shame and the word barren from my life. I type this in tears, make haste to bless me as the world is laughing at me

• Soum

May 7, 2015 at 1:20 pm

He has heard your prayers,he will bless you soon…God never fails,hang in there sweetie…
      Sending loads of e-hugs your way ?

• MomWithAVoice

May 7, 2015 at 1:20 pm

I am really sorry you are going through this
      ! i pray the good Lord hears your prayers and makes you smile with your own children. i pray he meets you at the point of your needs. You are blessed and you shall bear children

• MyNameIsNotSusan

May 7, 2015 at 1:33 pm

God will bless you very soon, Z. You’re in my thoughts and prayers.

• Yvie

May 7, 2015 at 1:45 pm

Amen ….Amen and Amen!!!

• vivian

May 7, 2015 at 1:53 pm

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

May 7, 2015 at 2:44 pm

Smile, Lovie. The time is here.

• Blessed

May 7, 2015 at 2:53 pm

Awwww, your pain just bares itself through your comment. i am so sorry that this challenge is weighing down so heavily on you but dont lose faith. persevere and victory will surely be yours.

you are only what God says you are, and not what the condition is. so its time to change the name by which you identify yourself. No, you are not barren. you dont have children “yet” but it doesnt make you the barren one. people may laugh, they may also say where is her God?

Never mind them. they are not a factor in your life. start saying you are the fruitful one of God, producing lasting and successful fruits. will it be easy? No but it is very possible so determine to get what you want but you must first act like you have it. speak the words forward and they will produce that which you want. the advantage of speaking as God has said concerning you being fruitful is that its not only children you will have, fruitfulness will also show in other areas of your life.

Be encouraged my dear, while you wait, do visit this website
      enterthehealingschool.org/home/itv/index.php?c=HSL
      you will be stirred up, i promise you.

indeed, we have this hope as an anchor for our souls firm and secure.

if you have any questions, do drop your mail here, i’ll check for your comment for a week. God bless you!

• Ephi

May 7, 2015 at 3:32 pm

You are in my prayers z. It will all be well. Hugs

• Word

May 7, 2015 at 4:09 pm

God has blessed you with twins.. Amen!

• Dayo

May 7, 2015 at 6:02 pm

Trust in God Z, your time will come. Listen to Tuke Morgan’s Trust for some encouragement, it’s the first thing you hear when you go on tukesquest.com and it’s ignited hope in me since I heard it, it is well!

• Anon1muss

May 7, 2015 at 9:21 pm

I feel so bad reading your comment…I recently found out I’m pregnant with my fourth after I thought I was all done (my third is 8) and I’ve been crying all week. May God forgive me for my selfishness. I reach out to you and I decree that God will surprise you with a double portion of blessings….pressed down, shaken together and running over….I use myself as a point of contact and I stand in the gap for you. May God meet you at this point of need. Sister believe! He CAN and He WILL. Have you forgotten who He is? The I AM! The Alpha and Omega! The ALL KNOWING!
      I was moved to telling a lady I met last year and with whom I lost contact with (until today) at a meeting today about my condition and she laughed at me….she told me she was married for 11 years and was almost losing hope but God surprised her with twins. Two years later, he surprised her with another set of twins (explaining our losing contact after we met last year).

Why am I telling you this? I believe He will do more than you expect so please keep believing! One love.

• Rose

May 7, 2015 at 10:55 pm

Darling, please NEVER let anyone tell you being barren is a SHAME.!! Never. Love is Love. Our dear mother and father were also barren and couldn’t have children and adopted all five of us. None of us have any similar blood running through our body. BUT DAMN we ride or die till the end. We don’t look like each other apart from being black(haha) But we are family and will do anything and everything for our mother. The whole family knows were all adopted, some be trying to make comments to our Mother. But we shut them down when they see how we all treat her like a Queen. Our mother has always taught us, your identity is never in any of your attributes but in who you are and how you treat others. She raised us to believe when culture conflicts with self worth, then leave it at the door. You are beautiful my dear. Continue to live your life.

• Seriously

May 8, 2015 at 7:54 am

You shall come back to give your testimony of the fruit of the womb in the name of Jesus.

11. nnenne

May 7, 2015 at 1:14 pm

Lovely.

12. o

May 7, 2015 at 1:27 pm

You are not barren because that is not what God call you. You will have blessed children. Don’t be ashamed be happy and live everyday as if you have all your heart desires. Bless you!

13. Ben_Zyclair

May 7, 2015 at 1:31 pm

This open letter is sooo touching.

She’s really proud of her beautiful and business women doughters. I feel like crying myself because its so straight to the soul. Mama is so cute.

14. anny

May 7, 2015 at 1:32 pm

Z ..The Lord has heard your cry. …you will have kids not just one . Just hang in there and see him do wonders.

15. Modupe

May 7, 2015 at 1:34 pm

@ z May 7, 2015 at 12:22 pm. Your heart desire will be granted and you will have your own children. Ignore the naysayers. Try specialist hospitals if you can, adopt if you can too. Your quiver will be full of kids soon. Hang in there.

16. Yvie

May 7, 2015 at 1:43 pm

Awwwww…So touching!!!
    God bless you Tina
    Hope Kris Jenner is reading this, she’s one selfish woman who cares about fame and money.

17. Mabel

May 7, 2015 at 1:59 pm

Smiles at ‘you are a loyal friend to many’ about Kelly and i agree. I love Kelly Roland so much. You know that kind of friend that loves and respects her friends even when some can’t stand each other. Will not take sides but who will just be a loyal friend and have the same love for her friends.

• Princess Lulu

May 7, 2015 at 2:51 pm

She is your friend too??????…… nice if she is

18. gigi

May 7, 2015 at 2:15 pm

honey it is settled just believe…..time and season happeneth to them all…ur time is now GOD bless u.

19. Noemie

May 7, 2015 at 2:20 pm

@Z From your lips to the heart of God..Amen!

20. adelegirl

May 7, 2015 at 3:15 pm

Teared up reading this heartfelt piece Tina Knowles Lawson wrote about her children… So heartfelt

21. Iyun

May 7, 2015 at 3:36 pm

Awww lovely letter.. @Z from your mouth to HIS ear, may He grant you all that your heart desires… AMEN

22. oj

May 7, 2015 at 3:58 pm

i love the part where she said “your dad and I were so proud of u”. it tells me she is removing from her heart any negative feelings against her ex husband

23. chy

May 7, 2015 at 5:35 pm

Love u Tina and your daughters

24. Grown Woman

May 8, 2015 at 7:52 am

Awww beautiful letter from Mama Bey..these ladies are lucky to have her as their mom.Wishing her all the best in her new marriage.
    @Z God’s time is the best and will give you your heart desires.Our God is an awesom God he is never late to change your story.May God answer all our prayers IJN

25. sweery

May 8, 2015 at 10:01 am

I don’t know who you are deary but I just made a heartfelt prayer for you, you will smile soon. Pls do share the good news with us as soon as you find out#hugs

26. aaewhy

May 8, 2015 at 11:39 am

Awwww wonderful letter from Tina Knowles sure her kids are equally proud of her. @Z the lord has heard your cries and he will surprise you before the end of this year in Jesus name.