News

Lion Kills 22 Year Old American Tourist in South Africa Park

dreamstime_xl_7780712

A 22-year-old American tourist was on Monday mauled to death by a lion that jumped that jumped into her car through the open window.

The incident occurred at a park on the outskirts of Johannesburg, Al Jazeera reports.

She was in the car with her travel companion, a South African. He survived the attack, but sustained some injuries, and was taken to the hospital.

Paramedics tried to save the woman’s life but unfortunately, she did not survive.

Photo Credit: aceheater/Dreamstime.com

1. oy

June 2, 2015 at 12:40 pm

haaaa! this is serious. may her soul RIP in Jesus name

2. Ms julz

June 2, 2015 at 12:51 pm

Oh my God!!! They must have gone alone and how this authorities let that happen. I wouldn’t dare go close to even a dog

3. Ms julz

June 2, 2015 at 12:51 pm

Oh my God!!! They must have gone alone and how did the authorities let that happen. I wouldn’t dare go close to even a dog

• Leah

June 2, 2015 at 4:41 pm

Obviously this is very sad and my heart goes out to the families involved. I am not quite sure what happened in this case or if “authorities” are to blame. However, I was in Kruger National Park in 2012, and you will not believe how people act around these animals. There are signs everywhere saying ‘do not open your car’, ‘ lock all doors and windows’, do not leave your car under any circumstance’ etc. The tour guides will emphasize the same warning, the catalogue and papers you sign before tour all have rules and regulations on them.
      After all that, you will not believe that people actually get out of their cars, you see some sticking out their heads through the window, including children. This is mostly common amount Caucasians (and I honestly don’t mean to be racist). I am surprised that this does not happen more of often considering how people conduct themselves around these huge beasts.
      This is sad and she did not deserve to die. When people go to such places, stay in your cars and take you pictures and videos from a distance. Those are wild animals, we are in their territories and the do not have any rules.

4. Ada Ada

June 2, 2015 at 1:06 pm

I blame the authorities too. It’s quite sad.

5. jummai

June 2, 2015 at 1:11 pm

e yah RIP

• whocares

June 2, 2015 at 1:35 pm

Is it bad that i read your “e ya RIP ” as rip (to rip apart, and then I chuckled a little at the double entendre because I imagined a little bit of ripping happened? ) don’t worry,I already hate myself, you don’t have to tell me how out of order I am.

This is unfortunate though. I have seen videos online where the lions have actually almost gotten into the cars (did anyone see that video too?) it is very worrying. Rest in Peace.

6. Anon

June 2, 2015 at 1:19 pm

Visitors are told do not open your window. This is the third one lately and now a fatality. Sad.

7. Vanessa

June 2, 2015 at 2:02 pm

I’m scared of watching a lion from a TV, and I never dream of going to Kruger National Park. White people like to be dare devils. Just earlier this year another tourist were so close to the lions, a lion apparently tried opening the door of the car. These lions are becoming more and more mischievous, I think they have eaten a lot of monkeys.

8. Mimi

June 2, 2015 at 2:40 pm

i bet you its an Oyibo . And i bet you she was probably patting the Lion like “Oh you so cute, how are you today”Foolish Death – Foolish idiot. Obey instructions.

• ssah

June 3, 2015 at 8:58 am

@Mimi, yes she’s oyinbo, an American who was in SA at that time, it was on CNN yesterday…and No, she wasn’t patting the lion

9. NaijaPikin

June 2, 2015 at 4:09 pm

The critical part of the story was left out.

They were on a self tour, were instructed not to leave their windows down, and they did. unfortunately it’s a deadly lesson.

10. eze solomon

June 2, 2015 at 4:44 pm

RIP. Am always with my gun so so-sorry to the lion that may try her confidence on me.

11. Nonye

June 2, 2015 at 5:25 pm

Sad but such a shame.
    I have been to Lions park twice and people are always warned not to leave the glass down or doors open. I was even told how an Asian was eaten alive helplessly where he was trying to take closer shots of the lions. With due respect, some people can be unreasonably bold. And where was the driver of the car when the lion was coming close? Did he shut his engines? I know it could have happened within a minute, but at least if the windows were closed, it would have provided a bit of barrier. Lions are very very powerful and when you come close to one, you are sure to be awed and feel some trepidation.

12. black

June 2, 2015 at 6:41 pm

If you bring this white person back from the dead you can bet she will repeat the same stunt and leave her window open yet again. These lions have been grubbing ppl since before the internet. White people do not fear death, it is something i can never understand

13. mzz horemzy