Music

Classic Man with AK47s! Nigerian-American Singer Jidenna Talks to VLadTV About Needing Ammunition at His Father’s Burial

Earlier this year, Wondaland records artiste, Jidenna, released a single titled, Classic Man. Then he performed it at the recently concluded BET Awards. Of course, with a name like Jidenna, Nigerian SocialMediaVille was buzzing…. “Who is this new kid on the block?”

Well, the Nigerian-American artiste has a lot of people going on Google to find out more about him! In an interview with VLadTV, Jidenna Mobisson talks about being light skinned, and the insecurities that come with it in Nigeria!

Then he went on to talk about being from the South East part of Nigeria, and how when he had to come for his father’s burial with AK47s and Commandos!

Say what? Tell us more Jidenna!

Our family was light. Therefore when we go to our village… and when I actually buried my father, I had to bring a lot of AK47s. I had to employ military commandos… just to bury my father. Because when you’re light skinned, you’re heavier target for being kidnapped. Because you’re seen as more valuable. You’re seen as err… you’re White. Therefore you have more money. You’re American, therefore you have more money. If you have more money, you’re easy to kidnap. And if you’re easy to kidnap, we’re gonna get you. For me being light skinned in Nigeria, in my family, it was difficult. It was always challenging. We were hounded. We were robbed.

WOW! This is a lot to take in… Check out what people are saying about Jidenna’s interview on Twitter and on his Instagram page

Some Support For Jidenna

Not Happy with Jidenna’s words

Jidenna described the South East As Being Away From ‘The City’

Just Here for The Banter

Did Jidenna Exaggerate Just a teeny weeny bit? Importing Arms… Just Like That?

20150710230940

20150710230933

20150710230918

Of course, a Twitter day is not complete without Yoruba Slander

And Style… Jidenna’s ‘Classic Man’ look

And for those who Don’t Even Know Who Jidenna Is?

Watch the interview on VLadTv. He starts talking about his parents around the 2.51 minutes mark

Watch the video for Classic Man featuring Roman GianArthur

1. Madame Solange

July 11, 2015 at 9:06 am

I like the video, his sense of style is on point and swag is off the hook. But that his story about being light skinned and being target for kidnap na; “Akuko uwa”. Kpomkwem!

• Black mamba

July 11, 2015 at 12:48 pm

I happen to know Jidenna from Stanford university. He’s a cool guy, but can he come off a bit conceited, yes. However, I’m happy to see him getting recognition in the music industry bcos he’s been working hard on it for a while. Congrats bro. Not all Nigerian have pleasant stories to tell living or visiting Nigeria. Leave him alone, allow him to say his experience whatever way he wants. Kidnapping and idolizing of lighter skin people exists among Igbos but they are in denial of it. Being Light skin is a hot commodity among Igbos. From higher bride price for light skin brides to equating beauty to lighter skin. What he said is true, but it hurts bcos now he’s saying it to a bigger platform. Many Igbo people marry whites, have babies with white or mixed people to have light complexion children. And those they are naturally light in complexion marry other lighter skin to keep the skin color. Some light skin Igbos really think they are special and like to show of off. I’m not exaggerating bcos I’ve heard it, seen it and experienced it. It’s common among south south too.

Also, many Nigerians don’t feel fully comfortable with their nigerian heritage especially nigerian Americans. Which is sometimes understanding bcos you grew up in America or one of your parent is American. Those ones that believe in their head they don’t have typical naija features even want to claim American more. Its just recently being Nigerian is coming to be cool that many who didn’t feel that comfortable before are feeling a bit more comfortable with their Nigerian heritage and even claiming it. I also noticed, it’s a California thing. Being a bit embarrassed of nigerian heritage, accent, look is not as common in the east coast as Cali.

• mrs chidukane

July 11, 2015 at 4:49 pm

I’m sorry Black mamba but most of your comments are not true. Light skinned people the world over feel special. Don’t pin it on ibos. I’m Ibo, and I don’t know what you’re talking about.

• Black mamba

July 11, 2015 at 5:49 pm

@ mrs chi

What part of my statement is not true? If you are gonna disagree explain with facts, evidence to refute mine. And of course, you don’t know what I’m talking about. The typical response of Nigerians when truth is presented to them, notorious of being in denial. I’m not bashing Igbos, just saying a common practice/belief. It’s done subconsciously and even conscious but not talked about.

Nigeria is the main discussion, so why digress to the world. Stay focus….

• Nonsense

July 11, 2015 at 6:25 pm

What nonsense!!! I am Igbo. My mother is very fair and my dad dark. All children are a mix of light skin, in between and dark and it has never been something to discuss. If my mum had an issue she would not have married a dark skinned man. I have never come across this amongst any of my Igbo family members as we are well aware that beauty does not relate to skin tone. My bride price was high because I was educated abroad lol and yes I consider myself dark skinned. I also married a dark skinned man and our kids are light skinned and that is just the way it is. We are black and come in many shades. So please do your research well before talking nonsense on this blog.

• mrs chidukane

July 11, 2015 at 8:32 pm

@Black mamba, I agree, kidnapping is a problem in the east. It started with the militants and because crime is like a cancer which if left untreated, spreads, it got to the eastern states. We know it is largely greed and unemployment that fuels it. Also, Government ‘s lackluster attitude. However, saying Igbo people idolize light skin people is wrong. Saying being light skin is a hot commodity among Igbo people is wrong. This is because Igbo people have lots of light skin people so how can it be that hot? My friend is as dark as coal literally yet her suitors were so many. Most people believe light skin people are more attractive, attributing it solely to Igbo people is just unfair and untrue. It’s a personal preference. NOBODY charges higher bride price because someone is light skin. That is an outright lie. I’ve been to loads of trad weddings all over the east and I’ve never heard or seen it. In my village, be you mixed race, as black as night or Harvard graduate, your bride price is 7 naira in coins. If your husband now wants to show his affluence, he can buy all sorts for you and the family .Saying light skin people intermarry to have light skin babies and bla bla is a big hmmm. If this is true, it’s in very few cases and a matter of personal preference to which we are all entitled. It is not an Igbo thing. As for Igbo people marrying whites to have mixed babies, are they the only ones that marry white people? Are white people not human beings as well? I’m sure some do it sha but most of the ones I know who did, did it for papers and NOT mixed babies. As for Nigerians being ashamed of Nigeria, it’s natural. No one wants to associate with failure. That one is not in question.

• Black mamba

July 11, 2015 at 10:40 pm

@nonsense @mrs chi

Well, maybe you guys need to do more research about your history. The practice of charging a bride higher based on her light skin tone is true. Maybe it’s not practiced now but it used to happen back then. If she’s also educated, that’s a double bride price. Also, there’s hierarchy of kidnapping among Igbos. The lighter you, mixed u are is a sense of belief that you might have more money basically well taken care of. And of course, light skin Igbos marry dark skin. Infact, different or opposite skin color is what attracts some to the other but still doesn’t take away from the fact that light skin is seen as special among Igbos, and very conscious of it. Does it happen in other parts of the world or parts of Nigeria this whole light skin is better? Yes. But we are speaking of Nigeria now referring to Jidenna’s statement. Don’t crucify him for mentioning something that there’s truth to it just bcos you don’t do it or don’t want to accept it since it makes a group look bad.

• Ona

July 12, 2015 at 1:22 am

Black mamba u are certainly a troll. So u took that joke that was circulating around twitter some years back about bride price calculation in igboland and decided to pass it off as real?? How are u gonna come here and force igbo people to accept what they dont practice. From ur initial post u sound like a bigoted tribalist and a confirmed troll. Bye bye.

• mrs chidukane

July 12, 2015 at 7:39 am

Thanks @Ona. A non Igbo person telling me, a full blooded Ada Igbo to do more research. When some fathers now don’t even collect bride price so no-one will say they’re selling their children.

• Skin

July 12, 2015 at 10:13 am

I don’t know about the bride price and ibo cultural issues stemming from skin complexion, but I work at skincare store in Lagos, and majority of our clients that buy our lightening products are ibo. It’s even more awkward when the husband brings the wife in and tells us to get her skin to whatever light skinned actress he fancies.

• Black mamba

July 12, 2015 at 11:47 am

@ Ona @ mrs chi

Clearly, the joke is on you bcos what I said is a fact. I did my own research, go do yours and stop being in denial/delusional . Read about old, new practices, history, talk to your elders from your villages. Being Igbo or non Igbo has nothing to do with it. The difference is, some people will rather live in denial or only want to hear great news about themselves while the other will take time to read about history, culture, beliefs/practices, good and bad of a country where the people are lost in their own history. For you to address, understand present problems, you have to know your past. Nigerians, learn to accept the bad/negative, that’s the only way you can progress. If someone especially a non nigerian mentions how the country is very poor, that person will receive insults, whereas it’s the truth/fact. A country with 170 million, less than 3% have the life that’s depicted on bella naija. Basic necessities is limited, what else do you call that? It’s a poor country. Mismanagement of resources, poor leadership is also an example of lack of intelligence regardless of how many degrees you take pride in. If you can’t apply your knowledge rightly, then your high degree is a waste.

• Eke

July 12, 2015 at 1:33 pm

Hmmm, the story continues… Do you actually know that the Igbo tribe is the only tribe that all other tribes seem to know more about Igbo culture than the Igbo themselves. Everybody is a walking encyclopedia of Igbo culture, with each persons version a remix of their personal baises. *Winks* I am looking at you nollywood! Lolz. And by the way Igbo peeps its time to start telling your story, leaving the narrative to outsiders gives room for distortions and falsehoods. Imagine a Togolese telling an American what it means to be American and then backing it up with “research”, chie I don hear thingz.

• Black mamba

July 12, 2015 at 2:48 pm

@Ona

A bigoted tribalist? Explain what that means. Actually, don’t bother bcos you sound stupid. I hit some nerves, take it easy before your veins burst out. Stating truth is different from hating a group. Stop running away from your truth by accusing another of being a tribalist. It’s the same way the word “racist” is thrown around and lost it’s actual context. Before using a word, use your brain first and common sense. And do yourself a favor, get lost.

• Sarah zik

July 12, 2015 at 4:04 pm

Black mamba how dare you tell Igbo people what their culture is? You must be mad. The highest bride price I have heard of in Igbo land is no more than 25 naira and from what I know most fathers do not even collect it these days. As for being light we do not have an issue in Igbo land or other tribes as we are Africans rather it is an issue for African Americans or an individual thing.

• Nuna

July 12, 2015 at 5:44 pm

I am an extremely fair Igbo girl and I grew up in Enugu and went to school in Anambra and I have absolutely no idea what you are on about. This is all in your head please

• Damilola's

July 12, 2015 at 10:12 pm

Igbo people, your brother don expose una. It hit some nerves. Y’all can get mad all you want with your veins bursting out, he’s telling the truth and that won’t take the truth away. Good thing, Jidenna is Igbo so he can’t be accused of being a bigoted tribalist. If na Yoruba person, he will be dead by now even when he’s telling the truth. Igbo people, being handled by their own, that’s the only way to wake up from their deluded minds.

• Uche

July 15, 2015 at 6:32 am

Jidenna, I mean Black Mamba, if you wanted to make yourself feel better about the nonsense you spewed from your mouth on national television you should have hired someone instead of usin a pseudonym.

First of all you mentioning you are personal friends with Jidenna is strike one. You calling yourself Black mamba is another strike.

This is the problem with African Americans who go to school to study African studies and black studies instead of Medicine, Law, Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, Theatre etc (essentially anything but black studies) These people feel because they’ve taken one useless class on colonial Africa they are now Historians and experts on current African diaspora.

I too know, biko go and sit down.

Which part of Igbo land are you from that you can come here and talk about what Igbo people believe? Because your African studies professor at Stanford who was most likely a black American told you so?

TAH!

• TheRealist

August 13, 2015 at 11:20 pm

Dude, you are backward, I don’t even know where to start. Hopefully, you are one of those who do not claim to be Nigerian, because your ignorance is horrifyingly cringe-worthy.

• Mogbo moya

July 11, 2015 at 7:21 pm

He is right though.

• Hmmmm

July 13, 2015 at 1:36 am

The bigger issue here is, security problem. Nigerians are busy bickering, this is the reason issues are never resolved bcos they will be busy fighting each other instead of taking action to better the country. Kidnapping is a serious issue, whether it’s dark or light skin that’s the target. And if anyone has ever been in that situation, it’s not smth to be taken lightly. You have to constantly have bodyguards, be armed to protect yourselves. Certain people are the target especially from the U.S, they believe you have a lot of money. And , I’ve heard stories about kidnappers demanding more money because of his skin color but it’s bcos they thought he’s half white which means double money for them. Oyibo money

• Seriously

July 13, 2015 at 3:27 am

This is another confirmation, Nigerians love living in lies and deception. They will rather cover up the shambles the country is in. Nigerians, be ashamed of yourselves and take the blame for the mess that has plagued that country. . Jidenna, tell the truth and shame the devil. Y’all owe him an apology for insulting him for simply stating the reality of his experience. These folks are patriotic to a country that could less about you and indulging these leaders incompetence. Tell it as it is, expose these leaders, tell the truth about security problems, bad infrastructure, poor education system, etc bring awareness to the problems in Nigeria but it looks like Nigerians don’t want change at all. Stop attacking the innocent, attack the cause of the problem.

2. Egbami

July 11, 2015 at 9:19 am

?☕ *Waiting for comments* ?

• EllesarisEllendil

July 11, 2015 at 9:47 am

?????

3. BuharisSideChic

July 11, 2015 at 9:29 am

The hair, the beards, looks like 1806 slave owners. Not feeling it. Kidnapped for being light skinned ? Eeeerrrrgh, ……..I should be looking to hire body guards then. I like the infusion of Akara in his style though.

• OmoEko

July 11, 2015 at 3:50 pm

LOL I know right! I should even get a body guard for my mother asap who is even lighter than Jidenna.

4. Sam.J

July 11, 2015 at 9:32 am

This is pathetic, while it is true we should “say it as it is” this is an exaggeration. No people are not kidnapped just for being Light skinned, people are kidnapped for being white or having some money. And to the comment on importing arms, I wish he could explain what he means, if he means he employed local vigilante or he had to pay for Police escort, which he is now calling ‘Commandos’. And to some people this will form the basis of their knowledge on Nigeria, sad. Yes we know Nigeria is in a terrible state, but clearly this guy added salt and pepper to this story!

• Not right

July 11, 2015 at 12:23 pm

It’s a pity but this is how up-and-coming artistes, actors, etc shoot themselves in the foot. You need to connect emotionally to your potential audience. Even if you want to say controversial stuff, save it for later, or better still, save it for your off-the-record friends.

I remember when we were all just learning Tinie Tempah’s name, and he told a funny and relatable story about how his grandma didn’t care that he was famous in the UK or whatever, and made him fetch and carry pail of water when he went to village for Christmas. That’s the kind of person you want to be, just keep interviews and public appearances funny and light, it is not that serious. It’s not too late, you can be that kind of person.

5. B

July 11, 2015 at 9:35 am

U guys should not blame him if u watch the video he is talkin about his past experience and what hiss family has gone thru in the hands of thieves and kidnappers but still he has painted Nigeria a bad country. They also kidnap in other countries na

6. Amiee

July 11, 2015 at 9:37 am

“I am from the south east and that is away from the city”. Isi gini Jidenna? And what is that nonsense about light skinned people being more targeted and kidnapped? You need your head checked. Your ignorance is smelling all the way to Nigeria. I can’t even believe all the rubbish he said and to think I was rooting for him. Smh

• YS

July 11, 2015 at 7:34 pm

As in! I was never the best at geography but aren’t there cities in the South East ni? 😀 Dude is just talking nonsense. lol

7. Sam.J

July 11, 2015 at 9:40 am

This is pathetic, While it’s true we should “say stuff as it it”…this guy clearly exaggerated. Light skinned people are not targets of kidnappers, white people are more of targets! And also about importing Ak 47s and employing commandos, I wish he would explain further if he employed local vigilante or this was the police force he meant and he had to pay for these. Yes Nigeria is in a terrible state, but this info in this video is false! It’s a pity this will form the basis of a lot of people’s knowledge on Nigeria.

8. MC

July 11, 2015 at 9:43 am

All I noticed was the repetitive use of “mixed breeds”
    Cringe!!!!!!
    You cannot call a fellow human being that!!!

• Nala

July 11, 2015 at 3:10 pm

Honestly, human beings are not dogs that u mix german shepherd and rottweiler.lol

• idomagirl

July 12, 2015 at 10:04 am

Exactly! That person that kept saying ‘mixed breed’ ugh!!!!!!!

9. EllesarisEllendil

July 11, 2015 at 9:45 am

Wow!!!!!!! This just left me Wow!!!! Hian!!!

A. “Fair”, seriously, shouldn’t your brain give you grammatical danger signs??? “Our family was light.”?????Seriously??? That just sounds off……….Good grammar isn’t overrated. I can’t take him seriously after that.

B. Using his logic, more than 50% of South-Easterners would have been kidnapped. Apunaawu akoho anyi. There was probably an underlying struggle over land or some ancient family blood feud which the stranger didn’t understand, rather than admit his ignorance he resorted to spewing American ignorance for sympathy in his “struggle”.

Wow!!! they were hounded and robbed for being fair-complexioned. Haba!!!!! I just can’t abeg, some people can’t be saved.

This comment section though, I foresee hilarity and some bitterness in its future.

10. KEN COOLFM

July 11, 2015 at 9:48 am

AKUKO UWA… STORY FOR THE gods.

BIKO, WHAT IS IGBO-AMERICAN?

DID YOU SAY SOUTH EAST IS AWAY FROM THE CITY?

• OmoEko

July 11, 2015 at 4:03 pm

LOL, yes he said South East is away from the city. LOL. He is just as ignorant as how “certain” people view Africa. On another note naija’s should stop claiming people just because they are half naija.

11. piece of my mind

July 11, 2015 at 10:01 am

I’m here for the comments especially bruno fierce”s…..guys bring it! looool

12. tofu nation

July 11, 2015 at 10:04 am

He isn’t lying, there was a point we could not go to our hometown again in my family . your own family members will arrange for you to be kidnapped, it was wise to seek protection (his was a little too much tho), but kidnapping has absolutely nothing to do with being light skinned or white tho its all based on the ‘assumption’ that your family ‘plucks money from trees’.?
    How silly!

• EllesarisEllendil

July 11, 2015 at 11:03 am

True, there was a time it was prevalent in Anambra, everybody knows this, but the government tackled it head on! Why didn’t the stranger say how the government of of Obi and Obiano have reduced the scourge of kidnappers and armed robbers???? What he is doing is equivalent to calling all Muslims or Irish or Serbs terrorists. Don’t defend his ignorance.

P.S tofu is bad for guys, assuming you’re one. Just looking out for you.

13. KEN COOLFM

July 11, 2015 at 10:12 am

AKUKO UWA; STORY FOR THE gods.

WHAT IS IGBO-AMERICAN?

DID I HEAR YOU SAY THE SOUTH EAST IS AWAY FROM THE CITY? WHICH CITY?

14. chy

July 11, 2015 at 10:36 am

and he retouched his hair

• Jc

July 13, 2015 at 2:51 am

Thank you. This otondo is very useless

15. Oyinda

July 11, 2015 at 10:39 am

Say what??? You young man is really a bastard….like WTF is you being light skin in Nigeria makes you valuable? Weeeere ni eleyi o…Mr Albino forming lighty, what makes you valuable in Nigeria is having loads of cash not your skin tone ….see the idiot sounding like him and his family members are the only fair skinned people in Nigeria as the rest of us are just as black as midnight…..if you have nothing positive to say about us then shut the f**k up and stop painting us bad to boost the egos of those myopic Americans…..do not use our name to distinct yourself from the slaves turned citizens in America then turn back to blackball us to make us look like babarians…….
    P.S : Dear Americans ignore the words of this mentally enslaved albino as your country is worse off than Nigeria in crimes, corruption and discrimination but the difference is it’s the black Americans that complain to the world as the whites believe they are God’s gift to humanity

• nika

July 15, 2015 at 12:34 pm

lol making sense

16. fcokanu

July 11, 2015 at 10:45 am

Read my comment with a thick Ibo accent 🙂 Hian! You say wetin? “South East is away from which City? New York? Abi Dublin? Eziokwu… And to think I was going to support our brother… Look at him looking like Tyler Perry on make up. I’m deeply disappointed. Hitherto he is right about the kidnapping situation in the East, I am light skinned and my people know if they kidnap me they are not one naira…

17. aisha

July 11, 2015 at 11:11 am

he is not exaggerating. the fact that the is mixed race means its open season for kidnappers. nannies kidnap pals children for ridiculous amounts of money talk more of the kidnapers in the east.
    regarding the city issue……he might have been refering to lagos as the ‘city’ because lets face it, a lot of foreigners still see lagos as the only main city in Nigeria.

we are complianing about him talking. look at it in small measures….we hire mopol or security to speed things up when we are driving the bride to her wedding venue so that she does not get robbed, stuck in traffic or what have you. we leave in gated estates….from as little as olodes, to proper gated estates with signs that don’t let okada into the premises. i can go on. but we all have some kind of security in our little spaces. the situation …(maybe when he buried his dad) might have been bad and he had to be cautions. come on chimamanda has talked about similar issues so why are we screaming….oh maybe because she is black. ironic…its ok for her to say it but jidenna the mixed race kid can’t abi. i know tons of ppl that stopped going home because of the same reason and they were sons of the soil with national and foreign degrees.
    nigerians like screaming when ppl say the truth. companies were pulling out their staff for the same reason.

2cents.

• meems

July 11, 2015 at 12:44 pm

@aisha, your first two paragraphs (if indeed I can call them that) tell me you are more ignorant than the subject-matter himself. I gave up reading your comment after that. Mr Jidenna, sorry you had bad eclerics but no be only you wake come. Are you saying you imported guns and commandos (possibly from the land of all things good and fantastic)? Did you smuggle them in? We need to investigate that. In all, you are “more” myopic than the audience you are trying to please with this. Oh, Nigeria is a horrible place to live in (yeah, sell that on!) but biko, give it some credit. There are criminals everywhere. And if indeed you imported AK47s into the country or bought in the country, you are one. The kidnappers would only have seen you as a brother criminal with more money!

• over Sabi

July 11, 2015 at 2:22 pm

My dear thank you. ,I am one of the people who cant go home anymore. 1 am from Rivers. Going home when everyone Knows you are coming for burial (ie you are coming with $$) means you either load up with MOPOL or you be prepared to die while being viciously robbed. Being a mixed race person makes You more obvious because the Kidnappers and robbers can easily determine that you have ties to people with $ or Euros. If we are so ashamed of our situation, why not fx it so people dont have to lie to make Nigeria look good? My mom went for my sister’s wedding in PH- 2 days in her house and 12 armed Kidnappers landed to Kidnap her. Luckily they were repelled. This is not a joke, Some parts of Southern Nigeria = worse than YObe and Borno. Rivers State = HOTBED of violence against citizens . Also, about the Commando issue, white people dont Know the acronym “MOPOL”. Commando is a good way to explain it. pls let us get of our high horses and find how we can restore peace to our country. Many parts are no longer livable and WalKable without military patrol for security.

18. dee

July 11, 2015 at 11:12 am

I’ve never read such ignorant comments in awhile! And coming from the ‘classic man’ I’m highly disappointed. You importing AK-47 and all that crap just because you are ‘laiskinned’? Na only your family waka come? Dude, if you are ashamed of being a Nigerian biko tell us. Pstchewww

19. mabel

July 11, 2015 at 11:28 am

Bia, don’t come and give these kidnappers some ideas o. Commandos ko Ninjas ni.

20. Olori Tari

July 11, 2015 at 11:30 am

The backlash is excessive.

Very excessive and it looks like we really don’t know when to stop.

I went from fury (before actually watching the video) to pity. Honestly, it looks as though he was actually talking from experience albeit exaggerated or let’s just say he mixed words up. Even worse considering people/his village actually contributed to his Father’s burial as per professor. (That’s not a bad thing).

But maybe we should actually forget about if its lightskinned people they are looking for or wealthy people…what still remains is that they are looking for a ‘type’ (typification) which I like to think he fits perfectly into. Just few weeks ago, Nigeria still ranked as the country with the highest number of kidnappings. We really should be focusing on the issue of kidnapping and this is a ‘classic’ time to pick up the problem. We all need to come together and tackle the problem. Even if it means just pressuring Buhari and the likes to do something. Protests? Rallies?

But hey…I have had a good laugh this morning as per #HereForTheBanter Twitter group. I’m always here for the light hearted ones with the jokes 🙂

21. Ufuoma

July 11, 2015 at 11:36 am

Hian, jidenna I’m seriously scratching my head in confusion. So because you are light skinned you think you are the shit. FOH!! And miss me with the bs. Yes nigeria is very unsafe at the moment and it will be a whole lot better for all of us if things improve but please that doesn’t mean everybody is after you or looking for a way to kidnap you and maim you and oh importing ak47s into a country is illegal, Interpol please look into it.

22. kc

July 11, 2015 at 11:37 am

but he is lying now!!!! ah ah, even if Nigerians online are naive, he hasn’t gotten to the celebrity status of selling this kind of lie

23. bn lover

July 11, 2015 at 11:57 am

Tooo much use oof I……I…..I buried my father,i brought Ak47, I brought commandos, i’m light skinned,i will be kidnapped…….na wa ohhh. Bros indeed na only you waka come

24. Oluwaseun

July 11, 2015 at 11:58 am

Arrogant pr*ck.

25. Chekwas

July 11, 2015 at 12:13 pm

He should learn to speak positive things about where he comes from

• over Sabi

July 11, 2015 at 2:25 pm

You mean tell prolific lies because when you have to live in morbid fear for the 6 days you are in the village there is no Other memory that Surpasses that.

26. O~Intuition!

July 11, 2015 at 12:24 pm

Talking like Nigerians who have never been to Nigeria but tweet “#teamBiafra” cos their parents told them stories.

• Iris

July 11, 2015 at 3:12 pm

Lmao don’t get me started on those. I’m Igbo. Come and see me having to deal with blue-passport children abroad whose parents told them about the war. They think they’ve done a good job mimicking a ‘Nigerian’ accent once they’ve added ‘O’ to the end of every sentence. They think they have more culture than Nigerians who lived in Nigeria but don’t speak their language because these ones went to ‘Igbo school’. It doesn’t matter that they know nothing else about being Nigerian or care enough to visit. Then they scream Team Biafra like they understand what happened or what such a thing will cause, but even worse, they scream Biafra from outside. Tell them to drop their passports and come and fight for Biafra now, let’s see what will happen.
      As for this kneegroe that’s his problem. If that’s his experience, that’s his experience. No one is begging him to be Nigeria’s brand ambassador. LOL.

27. Aduke Alaso

July 11, 2015 at 1:33 pm

Nigerians obviously have a linguistic problem. Light skin in American English =Half caste. Yes in Nigeria if you are half caste you are seen as white and therefore a heavier target with more money therefore profitable to kidnap.
    Take note he qualifies his statements with if you’you’re American you’you’re seen to have more money. Did he lie ?
    Instead of us to see this as an opportunity to address the security issues in this country we are getting all caught up in our feelings. Nigerians will never stop living in denial. Keep ranting senselessly on social media while Boko Haram keeps beheading men, burning down villages and raping young women and children.

• Bolu

July 11, 2015 at 4:17 pm

yes u have a linguistic problem for using this term ” half caste”.

• Aduke Alaso

July 11, 2015 at 9:15 pm

I use term half caste because that is the nigerian English for bi racial or as Jidenna said light skin. He wasn’t referring to your everyday light skin Nigerian.

• Smh

July 11, 2015 at 4:21 pm

Uhm no it doesnt. Light skinned means exactly what it describes, light skinned i.e. being fair skinned. Doesnt matter if youre mixed or not, or are all fair people mixed? I think not

• mrs chidukane

July 11, 2015 at 5:01 pm

No aduke. I have many mixed race friends, none has been kidnapped. I am also in my hometown as I type and there is no police man here and we’re still safe. Jidenna can’t say it was because they were light skin that they had issues. It is impossible. He left Nigeria at a very young age, he should have asked his Father questions instead of coming to talk rubbish. I was starting to root for him but now I’m so disappointed. He’s even darker than some of my none mixed race friends.

• Aduke Alaso

July 11, 2015 at 9:09 pm

He speaks from his own personal experience not yours or your friends. Because you have never experienced it doesn’t make his experience less valid.
      He specifically said his family was targeted and hounded.

• Uche

July 15, 2015 at 6:53 am

I’ve lived in the US for 15 years and no where have I ever seen anyone say light skin to mean mixed or half cast. So…. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Boko haram is a real threat in Nigeria, agreed.
      Being light skinned on the other hand, is not and so therefore when someone who has only lived in Nigeria for a few years as a young child from what I can gather, gets on a TV show to broadcast nonsense, he should expect this sort of outrage.

I was born and raised in Nigeria and lived there for 10 years before I moved to US.

Nigeria is >>>> US

Racism in this country is not a joke. We should be lucky to have a country where we make our own laws and we are not seen as second class citizens no matter what we look like or what religion we choose to practice.

NO where in this world is perfect. And yes we have a long ways to go BUT we have it so much better compared to Black people who are in a country where they are treated as second class citizens

I wish you could see that

28. ify

July 11, 2015 at 1:52 pm

I think the lightskinned he means is :mixed breed, half caste, mulato. Not just lightskinned.

• Author Unknown

July 11, 2015 at 4:16 pm

Thank you! See naija yellows talking about how they should have been kidnapped then. LOL

• idomagirl

July 12, 2015 at 10:35 am

These words, especially “mixed breed” is very derogatory/offensive. Please banish them from your vocabulary.

29. Fix it

July 11, 2015 at 2:39 pm

Negodi Igbo American my foot! You claim Igbo when it’s convenient for you to garner pity votes when you know zip about your so called Igbo lineage – this is my presumption because if you knew anything at all, u go at least know there’s A LOT of light skinned igbos and NOTHINg has happened to them!! My grandad is way lighter than you with money might I add and he hasn’t been kidnapped yet because of his skin color!! Yes! Kidnapping is an issue in Nigeria but NA money den dey find !! Period!! Don’t paint us black because you want to be seen as some local hero!

30. Wow

July 11, 2015 at 2:40 pm

I really hate it when people who are ignorant spread their ignorance. A lot of Americans do this all the time. The other day an American was arguing with me about West Africa because she spent one week in Senegal. I was like hian, see this ignoramus arguing with someone that was born, raised, lives and works there. And she was so adamant about what she was saying, Is one week enough to understand a whole region? The same with Jidenna, you went there for a burial and suddenly, you can speak for the entire Nigeria and for all the light skinned people in a country of almost 180 million people… smh… he lost a fan before he got one. No be only commandos, na terminator im for hire now. He flipping sprinked salt and pepper into the nice soup that he was cooking for Americans to eat. Funny how he always uses his ibo identity to stand out in America but at the same time he is too lazy to really learn about how people live here.

31. African Bad Girl

July 11, 2015 at 3:17 pm

Love his infusion of ankara and the red Ibo cap into this Classic Man look. He’s truly proud of where he’s despite the misstep in words – kidnappers kidnap people believed to have money. ALL white people are believed to have money as well as everyone coming in from UK or USA as well.. Skin color is not the main criteria in kidnap (lol see me talking like a kidnapper).
    We love you Jidenna!!! hope u took all the ak47s back with you tho, don’t want it falling into the wrong hands *kizzesz*

32. eyong

July 11, 2015 at 3:45 pm

I think everyone is getting heated and missing the point. Kidnapping is WAY TOO MUCH of a possibility for the average Nigerian, and considering most go unaccounted for is unacceptable. And let’s not lie here, he is a foreigner, with a clear westernized accent, so he really was walking around with a target aimed at his back. You guys are vexing too much for the truth. instead of attacking him, Attack your government that cannot provide adequate security for it’s citizens and visitors alike!

• miss T

July 11, 2015 at 11:56 pm

Eyong I agree with you completely! My fellow Nigerians .Jidenna’s story is PERSONAL it is not YOUR story! Yes armed robbery is common amongst Nigerians. Even Nigerians in Ghana where I recently visited are doing armed robbery.
      My aunt lives in a town called kasoa in Ghana where robbery is now rampant. Because well to do ppl have moved there; every time they arrest robbers Nigerians are involved. Check ghanaweb or ghanaian news papers. Pls ghanaian bros nd sisters back me up if you know abt kasoa robberies.
      Be angry @ our government for unemployment which breeds thieves..nd leave Jidenna to speak his TRUTH!
      Lol @ Bruno

33. Ese

July 11, 2015 at 3:48 pm

First of all,he is not even that light. There are so many people that are lighter than him in complexion. Secondly,i’m sure so many people with money and coming from Abroad come to bury their parents without importing guns and the army or airforce. Thirdly, how does being light skinned make you valuable or susceptible to kidnap. The chibok girls were not light skinned neither did they have money and they were still kidnapped and everyday people March around chanting for their release/rescue. It means they are valuable not so?

34. Iris

July 11, 2015 at 3:53 pm

LMAO this guy cracks me up though. First of all, there are tons of people lighter than he is from the Southeast even with full Nigerian parents. Secondly, did he hire AK47s with military commandos or did he call MOPOL? Because honestly, many Igbo people with small money going back home for a funeral or celebration will have some form of security. I don’t see how it is an issue of skin.

35. Someone Naughty

July 11, 2015 at 4:26 pm

But people, he never said he imported guns na. He said he had “to bring a lot of AK47 guns” not ‘bring in’. He may have brought them from the ‘city’ to the ‘South East’ as una no get ‘city’

• YS

July 11, 2015 at 8:09 pm

Ah toh 😀 😀 😀

36. Person

July 11, 2015 at 5:38 pm

So where did he get money to import AK47s and military commandos when he had to crowd-fund USD3,000 to come home to bury his father? Where did that money come from? Abi, Jidenna, I lie? Oya, Jidenna, come and tell me I am lying! Some people will just want to say anything to gain fame!

• mrs chidukane

July 11, 2015 at 7:18 pm

You be @Person! I wanted to say it but didn’t want the hater tag. After raising funds he’s forming big boy. Putting salt n pepper anyhow. Kidnapping is a problem in Nigeria but saying it’s cos he’s mixed race is a big lie. It is about money.

• Person

July 11, 2015 at 9:39 pm

Don’t mind him. Egbe oshi. People raised money to help bury his father and he wants to be forming what he’s not. Some people see small money and will start cursing their roots. We know his type ?☕

• Asgrl

July 13, 2015 at 6:36 am

Burnnnnnnn!!!!!!!??????????????????????

37. Igbegocho

July 11, 2015 at 7:00 pm

I like his song. Now errybody calm down. First of all, it’s his experience not yours, and his story is not far from the truth as far as I’m concerned. The only issue I have with the story is the AK47 matter.

38. Fade to black

July 11, 2015 at 7:07 pm

@Person you beat me to it but I was wondering the same thing.
    ”How You Can Help
    The family must travel to Nigeria to bury Professor Mobisson in his village of chieftaincy. Jidenna needs to personally raise $3,000 in order to cover his airfare and accommodations for this trip. Any funds that you can allocate to this end would be most helpful and most appreciated at this time. In order to meet their needs, the family is requesting such resources by April 1st. For more information, please visit http://www.OliverMobisson.org.””
    Also his dad is dark.

• Dee

July 13, 2015 at 12:47 pm

Maybe Bros haff bleash.. Hehe

39. Mogbo moya

July 11, 2015 at 7:17 pm

What he said makes perfect sense though. Don’t be quick to judge if you’ve not been in his shoes.

40. bruno FIERCE

July 11, 2015 at 7:33 pm

I dont care what he said.
    my lord, he is handsome. he has very thick red igbo lips, I want to kiss them.

• Marie Antoinette

July 11, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Lol! Me too Bruno! Me too! But after I must have cured him of his ignorance and diarrhea of the mouth.

41. Ada

July 11, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Nigerians we are hilarious! His dad died when kidnapping was rampant in Igbo land! This was 2009-2010. Until you have had a close fam member be kidnapped, you won’t understand. Any burial in Igbo land now demands massive mopols especially if the person is influential. We just had a fam burial and no it’s no fun when you have to sleep with a truck full of mopol outside because some idiots think that you came from abroad and are loaded. Do you know how many Igbo ppl get robbed days after a burial? Some ppl that haven’t crossed river Niger are shouting! What do you know? It’s his experience!
    When Boko started especially in 2009, you ppl were all jonzing. Now Isis don enter, oya stay there and get mad when someone will now say on cnn that Naija is a terrorist nation! Our prob has always been that we attack and try to hide the truth, thinking it will just disappear. Ppl think it’s because they were popping something last night that Naija is ok abi?

His only prob was he mixed up his choice of words. Isn’t this naija again that worships mixed ppl aka “half caste”? If kidnappers had a choice between you that waka’d from onitsha to your village and him, you think say na you dem go carry??
    Too much ignorant ppl I swear. See someone saying his dad is black. No kidding! Isn’t he mixed? Isn’t his mom white? His sisters are physicians in the US, his brother owns a successful company. You think the villagers and even some umunna’s in the village won’t see them as hot cake?

Nigerian twitter and social media pls let’s focus on meaningful stuff.

• Uche

July 15, 2015 at 7:07 am

If these people are so successful WHY did he need people to raise ordinary 3000 dollars for flight ticket and accommodation????

Answer me why?

Mschewww

42. Amh

July 11, 2015 at 8:54 pm

The igbo people idolise light skinned and worship light akinned people. Iys a known fact that the igbos think they are the only light skinned people in nigeria. Even the hausa fulanis are been mocked of bleaching. The yorubas are called bleachers. Their pea brain does not tell them that all tribes has very lightskinned people. They are the first to scream bleachers. Its as if they consider light skinned a royal heritage. Funny people.

• Professor X

July 12, 2015 at 10:29 am

False, Igbo people DO NOT idolize light skinned. I was a regular person when I lived in the South east, but as soon as I got to Lagos, it became glaringly obvious that I was light skinned. Basically, other Nigerians are obsessed with light skinned Igbos. How else do you explain the stereotype of a typical Igbo woman as light skin? My grand mom is dark skinned yet my very light skinned grand dad with hazel eyes married her.

• Nuna

July 12, 2015 at 6:00 pm

Exactly!!! Beign light skinned was no big deal when I was in the East because so many people are but once I moved to Lagos! E remain for people to kiss my feet! Dear Amh…..stop trynna make fetch happen. Its not going to happen

• Ronke'

September 24, 2015 at 10:04 am

First of all with all the bleaching creams that are used my men and women in many continental African countries, is a testament to those men and women having bought into this light-skinned nonsense. None of us have any upmanship, the color gradation nonsense is common among Africans on the Continent and within the Diaspora.

• Peaches77

July 12, 2015 at 5:44 pm

Bigot!

• Nuna

July 12, 2015 at 5:58 pm

You are always the first to attack Igbo people. Every darn post. Are you not tired??

43. Nma

July 11, 2015 at 8:57 pm

From what I deduced , Jidenna actually spoke the truth about his experiences here in Nigeria. Let’s not forget that he’s family is ‘mixed’, which made them an easy target to kidnappers n thieves. He actually also stated that it was assumed they were rich bcos of their skin color n the fact that they lived abroad. Pls lets be free to speak our truths n to each his own. Truthfully there was a time kidnapping was rampant in Nigeria n ppl coming in from overseas were easy targets. So y bash the young man for telling his experience. Well, our prayers should go to our country bcos it really isn’t a safe place to live in.

44. True-Nigerian

July 11, 2015 at 8:57 pm

Each time I have to make a comment here, it always have to do with our “Igbo brothers”
    Why is it that Igbo’s are always having “Inferiority Complex” about everything? and this is the first time I’m hearing anyone calling himself “Ibo-American”…Lol

You will never hear successful Nigerians from other tribes such as Benin,Hausa, or Yoruba in USA, Canada, UK, Sweden, Germany saying trash about Nigeria….Every bad mouthing of our country always come from the frustrated Igbo guys who always end up in prisons around the world because of their “Drug Running” business.

This stupid idiot that cannot even buy his own plane ticket is talking about hiring a “Military Commando” unit with AK 47’s to bury his father?….Well maybe he is referring to their local “Egbesu” tout militia in Onitsha!!!

• Peaches77

July 12, 2015 at 5:46 pm

Bigot! You have a problem just like ‘AMH’.

45. eni

July 11, 2015 at 10:02 pm

Hmm. Na wa o. Light skinned people be feeling superior since 480BC. He kukuma perm him hair to complete the “whiteness”.

46. Marie Antoinette

July 11, 2015 at 11:05 pm

Ewoo! Ndi Nigeria/Igbo ozugozie nu biko! Gbahara Jidenna…

47. Julie

July 11, 2015 at 11:35 pm

This man has fallen victim of not knowing how to put his words together. It’s not what he said it’s how he said it. Nigeria is already known for so much negativity that he should have shined a little more positivity to. The culture instead of adding fuel to the flame. Yes I agree that in Africa (in general) rich people are a target for kidnappers . Who would kidnap a poor man . While you can kidnap a rich one and get money. He should have never said anything about bringing ak47 and commanders to bury his father. The whole skin color thing was just an other smack in the face. as if they only kidnap light skin people. There are plenty of broke light skinned people in Nigeria . If he has nothing nice to say about the culture fine keep your mouth shout. Exspecialy for interview over in the states. Americans already look at Africans as animal who walk around naked and live in huts. We don’t need you helping them (as an African man) see us as even less equal . Your comments could really hurt the tourists in Nigeria .

48. Ello Bae

July 11, 2015 at 11:45 pm

His truth not mine.

49. SA girl

July 12, 2015 at 12:08 am

Everyone lets be real, are we mad cuz he made naija look bad in front of oyinbo people?because who cares what they think. Their perception of us is colored by racism and xenophobia anyway, that shouldn’t cause us to censore one and other about our varied experiences of Nigeria.
    Totally not appropriate seeing that he was attending his dad’s funeral, but I can imagine him in his Classic man attire surrounded by AK47s and commandos. Talk about keeping your gloves dirty but your hands clean lol.

50. nnenne

July 12, 2015 at 12:12 am

There are elements of truth in what he said:
    1) Kidnappers assume anyone coming from USA is rich, especially whites, which his mom is one.
    2) People seek the help of security people when they come home to bury their dead,especially within the time frame he buried his father.

The only lie here are: South East is a village, , that Kidnappers come for you, if you are light skinned.
    Kidnappers do not care how you look. They go after you, if they think, they can get ransom from you.
    Jidenna, does not live in Nigeria. He just vomited what relations told him.
    I love his music though.

To all the kidnappers out there:
    You Have Succeeded In turning Igbo land into a minority tribe. Our people have all ran away for you.
    Innocent people who played no role in turning Nigeria into what it became. Innocent people whose only sin is hustling in foreign lands. You leave the people who stole your money and face them. Shame!

51. Ona

July 12, 2015 at 1:12 am

Some of u just dont get it. The problem is not that he was discussing his unfortunate experience….the glaring side-eye worthy issue here is him attributing skin color to being the reason why the issue occurred. Since when is being lightskinned proportional to being wealthy…hence a target for kidnappers? If that was the case why havent they kidnapped my broke ass yet? Its absolutely absurd. We have seen stories here on BN about people that were kidnapped, were they mainly ‘light skinned? i really dont get his rational at all. Kidnapping has more to do witj the perceived sense of wealth they think u have! Do i even have to state here that the richest bunch in naija are mostly dark and will be the ideal targets? Jidenna was more so humble bragging about his skin color and attributing it to being of higher value in the Nigerian society. This bullshit interview didnt sound like a heartfelt recount of his unfortunate experience….it sounded much more like he was projecting his assumptions, U were a target because u came from abroad and they assumed u had a lot to spare….not because u are yellow. Gezz i cant even believe people think this way in 2015. Will ur yellow complexion feed these kidnappers or will they kidnap u and mount u as a statue??

• mrs chidukane

July 12, 2015 at 7:55 am

Thanks again @ Ona. You articulated my point well. My problem is the skin issue. My cousin was kidnapped 2 days to his wedding. He just came back from Europe. My husband’s grand mother was kidnapped as well in the village. None of them is mixed race or light skin. As for people always looking for a way to talk down on Igbo people, I don’t know the joy you derive from it but continue with your hatred and bile till it chokes you.

52. Papacy

July 12, 2015 at 1:41 am

My dear, “away from the city”. I went to my window to recheck my surroundings. I’d love to know his state of origin.

53. Fume

July 12, 2015 at 3:02 am

Kai! the whole world commented……..Sorry Jidenna lmao

54. SOLO ACT

July 12, 2015 at 5:16 am

so this one that looks like an orangutan is talking! abeg Commot for here

• miss T

July 12, 2015 at 5:47 pm

Jealousy go kill u SOLO ACT! Let’s see your perfect picture!

55. SOLO ACT

July 12, 2015 at 5:20 am

Biracial people ARE SOO EXTRA SOMETIMES! YALL NEED TO CHILL THO! AINT NOBODY CHECKIN FOR U LIKE THAT.

56. melinda

July 12, 2015 at 9:38 am

Pls oooo u guys shld leave my jidenna alone… Shikina!!!

57. Hey

July 12, 2015 at 11:02 am

My own is, if kidnappers were ever after him, it’d be because they have background info, not the colour of his skin. Besides he doesn’t look half-caste to me o. He just seems like these new generation psychedelic pastors that went the extra mile by dyeing his permed hair.

58. Heeba

July 12, 2015 at 12:41 pm

Generally what he is saying is true but he does not know the best way or right way to put it.he needs to get learned. Yes! We have a problem with security in Nigeria but in the south you only get kidnapped or robbed if they feel you have money or are rich.being light skinned has nothing to do with it.
    Yeah jiddena you may be attacked for just coming from Yankee oooooobcos they feel you brought money for your family but not bcos you are light skinned.Nigerians are past that.if you like be chocolate,caramel,dark chocolate, mixed race, arab looking …..no one cares it’s just about the dough

59. BEAUTIFULNBLESSED

July 12, 2015 at 2:33 pm

ME, I DO NOT LIKE LIES SO IMMA BE QUIET. VERY IRRITATING INTERVIEW THOUGH.

60. [email protected]

July 12, 2015 at 4:00 pm

It’s very obvious Nigerians have a problem with understanding.
    Okay, let me try and break it down for you kids.
    -Jidenna is mixed-race. His mother is white and his dad was a respected professor and one-time minister in Nigeria. So obviously, his burial ceremony would have been a bit of a circus.
    -When he referred to the south-east as ‘away from the city’, he was obviously talking about his village where his father was buried. Could he have explained that better? Yes. But the American interviewer wouldn’t have understood completely anyway. So he kept it simple.
    -He said he had to ‘bring in’ AK47s-he never said he imported them-I don’t know where you people got that from. Bringing in most likely refers to the fact that the ‘commandos’ weren’t stationed in the village-as they were the ones wielding the AK47s. And as for the ‘commandos’, he obviously meant mobile policemen. Again, an American audience won’t understand that so he kept it simple to paint a picture. Think about it-what do MOPOLS look like decked out in full gear? That’s right. Commandos. Wrong choice of words again, but nothing wrong with what was said.
    -Now to the main issue- he clearly said there was an assumption that because they were light-skinned and from abroad it meant they had money. He never said his family was targeted solely for being light skinned. The colour of their skin and the fact that they came from America only triggered an interest which led to the assumption that they were wealthy. He said the armed robbers and kidnappers assumed. Which is logical. He didn’t place himself above anyone because he’s light-skinned or mixed race. By ‘more valuable’, he meant they were prime targets for kidnapping and therefore could be held for ransom. And if that’s what you got out of what he said-all of you talking about “Who does he think he is, my grandma is lighter and richer than him and has never been kidnapped” then you need to check your inferiority complex. It’s showing.

Like I said, he could have phrased a lot of things better. But let’s be fair-this is one of his first major interviews so he struggled a bit and over-simplified certain things for the American audience. No need to crucify the man for his personal experience. And Nigera isn’t safe. Lets stop burying our heads in the sand.

61. Adelaide

July 12, 2015 at 5:17 pm

Someone said the only Igbo-American we know is Igwe Tupac. I’m confused as regards to his interview

62. Asgrl

July 13, 2015 at 6:39 am

Hi an! AK47???!!!!But with which money though?

63. Dithaholic

July 13, 2015 at 8:29 am

Dear Jidenna,
    I honestly feel like the whole of Nigeria owes you an apology.
    You not only spoke YOUR truth but you spoke THE truth.
    Caucasians and people who live in the states are perceived to be well to do or in your words “valuable” in Nigeria specifically the East, therefore making anyone who is white, half white or looks white a greater target for kidnappings, robberies and what not.
    Obviously the use of the word “lightskin” was not exactly the best choice of words but anyone who utilizes logic would have understood that you were referring to People who look like you ; basically Biracial folks.
    Explaining things to the Average American can be very challenging as many wouldn’t easily understand so sometimes we are forced to simplify things the best way we can in order to make it easier for them to comprehend. In the process, you may not elaborate as much and may leave room for misinterpretation, besides this was like a 6 minutes interview.
    Did people really expect you to use the terms ‘Half Caste’ or ‘MOPOL’ to an American interviewer ? How would he have understood? How else were you supposed to have explained what a village means if you didn’t state it was away from the city?

Nigerians have this very hush hush rather shallow let’s not speak about the ills going on in our backyard to the public mentality and quite frankly I am yet to see what good has come from it.
    If you have been raped, don’t speak about it or you will disgrace your family.
    If your husband beats you, never talk about it because you are disgracing your family.
    If your father molested you, never speak about it because you are disgracing the family.
    If your boss/pastor harasses you, never speak about it, are you the first person?
    Or In your case, If biracial folks are seen as heavier targets for kidnappings,robberies and what not, never speak on it cos you are disgracing the country.
    This mentality of blaming the victim for speaking up instead of attacking the issue/oppressor is the real reason why Nigeria isn’t progressing as it should. Nigerians just shout shout shout and shout but never offer solutions and then when things head south, they start asking God to take control. BRUH…
    If the man eventually kills his wife, THEN everyone will begin to come out of the woodwork to talk about how they were witnesses to the victims’ abuse. Of what use exactly is it when the person is already dead?

64. Dithaholic

July 13, 2015 at 8:39 am

Developed countries did not develop based on this hush hush idea of patriotism. That is NOT my idea of true patriotism. True Patriotism is being able to speak out on the ills of your country and demanding for change. That is how slavery and segregation were abolished in America.
    Yes! We all know the world is a crazy place and every country has its madness but right now at this very moment we are talking about Nigeria. There is a huge lack of security issue in Nigeria and no amount of chanting “Nigerians don’t take rubbish” is going to take away that REAL RUBBISH. Citizens can’t move around freely without fear of being kidnapped and you’re here talking about Nigerians don’t take rubbish? Oh I forgot Nigerians can only take rubbish from its government. Lol Madness I tell you.
    You don’t owe anyone no darn apology and do not let anyone coerce you into denying your truth or giving a fake apology. You can clarify your statement(s) but your truth is your truth and your experiences are your experiences. People are just going to have to Deal.
    Your music will do just fine with or without Nigerians lol like half of them didn’t even know who you were anyway or that you were even of Nigerian descent and you were doing just fine. Besides people are so fickle minded they’ll probably forget by next week anyway and move on to the next trending topic.
    On the issue of AK47s, you never used the word “Imported,” so I’m not exactly sure how that assumption came about but you see, you are truly only responsible for what you say and not for what people understand.

Whatever the case, Always remember : small minds can’t comprehend great spirits and unfortunately the world is filled with small minded people.

Xoxo

65. kema

July 13, 2015 at 9:24 am

jidenna has his cross to carry not mine. im here to comment because of the bride price ish. people no woman is there where the bride price is collected so all of u guys should shhhh. im a lady and ive seen cos i have friends from adazi nnukwu, an and enu. bride price there depends on how educated u are. they have a plamplet that u have to go and collect from the igwes palace. its documented. ur bride price depends on ur education level from there and also from other parts of anambra. i know cos i from anambra. if your parents aint d greedy n uneducated ones, they collect small or noting. if the greedy ones, they collect more. my friend from adazi nnukwu paid 150k for bride price cos d wife has ond/ hnd.. and its different from bsc ohh. pls u guys sld get ur facts right. as for jidenna me likey light skined guys but ur story is a little bit egocentric…..

• mrs chidukane

July 13, 2015 at 9:54 am

Sorry Kema if that is how it is done in your place. In my place we don’t do such so you can shh as well.You didn’t even address the main issue which is the charging of higher bride price because of skin color. It never happens. Even if it’s mentioned, it’s as a thing of laughter.

• Ozioma

July 13, 2015 at 1:38 pm

You are crazy oooo, which palmphlet? there is no particular price tag in Igbo land for bride price. u have a list of items to buy, they ll only ask u to pay what you think the gal is worth, that is all. If u ppl think Igbo bride price is expensive, try hausa/muslim brides- the hollandis wrappers, the gold jewellries, the total house furnishing etc.
      Am tired of people saying Igbo bride price is expensive. When I tell my non-Igbo friends what actually goes down for Igbo wedding, they r surprised cos they hv always had d wrong perception abt Igbo wedding. your wedding is only as expensive as u want it to be. If u keep ur wings high as ndi imakwa ndi anyi bu, u ll be treated as such.

As for Jidenna, I wont blame him, our country in general is under siege, these kidnappers r not fools, being light-skinned I assume u mean “half-caste”” only means u hv access to dollar, pounds, euros etc. so r u trying to say we normal Igbo light skinned hv all been kidnapped, and dnt forget there are half caste living in naija too, born n bred here, who dey touch them? Cos they know they have no access to dolls n pounds. Na cos say they know u come from obodo oyibo na, no vex sha, cos even my cousins from US too were almost kidnapped when they came home for xmas and that wasn’t their first visit to naija and even after d attack they still came for anoda xmas holiday without commando n AK47, and they are very black- AZU ITE!!
      I believe it was only as important as u made it look I mean the AK47s and d ninjas abi na commando

66. Dithaholic

July 13, 2015 at 9:25 am

PART 2

Whatever the case, Always remember : small minds can’t comprehend great spirits and unfortunately the world is filled with plenty small minded people.

Xoxo

67. Ronnie

July 15, 2015 at 7:26 am

Jidenna is a pompous he-goat.

He is retelling what he wants people to see as a heartfelt story and he is laughing and smiling like a mugu after every sentence.

I don’t believe a word he said.
    His father was only a professor and professors don’t make any kind of money in Nigeria.

And I won’t touch on the subject of being mixed or half or light or whatever the hell you people want to call it because that is completely false.

Bigger stars have come and gone that were mixed Nigerian like Sade and several others and Nobody would ever say this kind of rubbish.

It is baffling and laughable.

His motif is very questionable and how can you take this guy seriously? A guy that looks like a slave owner? A guy who not only perms his hair but also dyes it to red so he can fully look more white?

It is obviously more important to him that he preserve his whiteness.

because you wear Ankara does not mean you are a real Nigerian/African.

He clearly has an identity crisis and he is also clearly homosexual.

In fact, we dash you to America Jidenna. You can go ahead and drop the Igbo from your “Igbo-American” self titile.

Ewu
    ????????

68. Mckane

July 15, 2015 at 10:51 pm

Shame to all of u that do not know that igbos ocupy the majority when it comes to being lite skinned also @jidenna

69. Shocked !

July 29, 2015 at 10:26 pm

Wait hold on hold on like what the ?!? ??? sorry for laughing , I read decided to read the comments before watching the interview so I am shocked that that was even the interview , I was just surfing then found out this guy was even nigerian I thought he was all those black South African people (those white people wannabes no offence) then saw this, what he said was clearly out of context it was as if he was looking for an interesting topic because notice if he didn’t bring up this topic that interview would have been veryyyyy dull and boring he just wanted to juice it up and please how many nigerians lie like this , he wanted to make it interesting and controversial and isn’t that what happened because of what he said his now known . Please the dude accepted BRUCE (which kind stupid caitlyn) obviously his Nigerian blood is just for show and also ???? we all know the truth we have nothing to prove to the White people even normal fully nigerian people bash nigeria daily and that his stupid smile just let him we all deep down don’t care we are all unpatriotic and 90% of us would trade our green and white flags ASAP the 10% that wouldn’t is becuase the know RACISM is real and have realised that there’s no place better than home ..???

70. Joseph

September 3, 2015 at 7:25 pm

Wow! I really don’t know how many of you guys have actually been to Nigeria, or if your in Nigeria, don’t know if you ‘ve actually been to East? However, Jidenna’s story is his experience. It’s really sad those things he talked about may have happened. I live in Eastern Nigeria all my life and am an Igbo man. My elder brother was also a victim of kidnapping at that time. Thank God it’s no longer the case now, because people had to stand against it through so many ways.

71. mom

September 4, 2015 at 2:48 pm

it is very true that igbo people like light skinned people because they think they are more beautiful and attractive but it does not mean that there is any danger faced by light skinned in the igbo community or Nigeria at large . how on earth can you import ammunition into Nigeria, just because your light skinned. no one even knows you in Nigeria . *you sure say you be naija sef, we no know say
    you dey exist *.
    a

72. smart

September 7, 2015 at 5:36 pm

as for me
    am not saying he ( jidena ) is wrong
    yes there’s kidnapping going on in the country likewise any other country in the world
    but listen to this he has never spoken of his country
    n when he was asked, what he spewed out was horrific
    I mean many pple don’t knw much about the country n most of them are his fans willing to knw about their model
    now how will they feel n judge the country based on his comment?
    am sure the whole world now thinks all Nigerians are kidnappers.
    whereas there are millions of white foreigners in the country n billions of lightskined,

i mean gosh who says that? that’s so dumb

like a guy said based on his (jidenna) comment wande coal is the safest person in Nigeria
    n abinos are hot commodity

am out
    Nigerians! always massing the motherland

sad