Scoop

#StephRocksTV is Back! Watch ‘The Accent Struggle’ with Stephanie Coker

Stephanie CokerMedia personality Stephanie Coker is back with a new episode of her web series ‘Steph Rocks TV’.

On the latest episode, the popular MTV Base presenter and actress highlights the never-ending argument on accents, showcases two of Nigeria’s budding fashion houses, runs through the top 5 chart topping hits and takes you down the iconic Ikoyi-Lekki bridge in “#D.D.S (Double Dare Steph)”, a segment where viewers suggest outrageous dares across multiple social media platforms.

Steph Rocks TV is an online series that covers everything from entertainment news to social media trends, music, fashion and lifestyle tips delivered to audiences in Coker’s quirky, unfiltered demure infusing sass into reality television.

Check on it!

1. Breanna

July 11, 2015 at 10:52 am

I’m not Nigerian, I’m a British South African but I can pronounce most of those words that girl couldn’t lol I can even speak pidgin a bit cause my Nigerian friends teach me and I’ve been to Nigeria… I think her own is too much.. I have a feeling she wants everyone to know that she’s British! Worse part is that she’s a Nigerian… Yet she can’t pronounce Moi Moi?! As if she’s never heard anyone pronounce it before? Doesn’t her family speak her language or teach her how to pronounce BASIC words? Na. Wa o! Sorry but I’m not buying that lol

• Seriously

July 11, 2015 at 6:05 pm

I totally agree. Accent is easy to switch on and off but I have to say some people are top notch, better at switching up their accents. And some the struggle is real. However, having one nigerian parent is enough to literally change your accent from American to village one. Hanging out with Nigerians too. I believe, some just want to sound more American or british.

• le coco

July 12, 2015 at 8:29 pm

Aunty.. alot of ppl in Nigeria pronounce it as mai mai.. it jst means that is what her family called it when she was growing up..

2. mey

July 11, 2015 at 11:54 am

I love her. Its the era of self expression, be what you wanna be..A British accent is not a bad thing, neither is an igbo, yoruba or hausa accent…btw steph, dont struggle to sound like a Nigerian, just be yourself..,dont make yourself likeable, just do your thang..

3. Ife.

July 11, 2015 at 12:03 pm

Nice show dear, lovely… I enjoyed almost every bit of the show. The skit with Falz is funny especially the first part of the comedy where he said it is the “I love you part you will hear, when am asking for dollars, pounds and * juros you won’t hear.”

4. pj

July 11, 2015 at 12:05 pm

but this stephanie lady just spoke normal without the british accent and she sounded good! hmmmm……..

• Sandra A

July 11, 2015 at 12:35 pm

What is normal please? The same way it’s hard to drop a Nigerian or French accent is the same way it’s hard to drop a British accent! Normal is relative, stop being ignorant.

5. JessieJen

July 11, 2015 at 12:10 pm

I was born and raised in England so I know the accent struggle but come on now!!!! Steph is totally forcing her accent!!!! It’s HILARIOUS!!! She knows she would never talk to a fellow Brit like that cause we would DESTROY HER! Wtf is with the accent? IT IRRITATES MY EARS!

And to the girl that cannot even pronounce simple Moi Moi, shame on you!

• Sandra A

July 11, 2015 at 12:37 pm

I was born and raised in England also…her accent sounds like a very normal london accent to me! Are you sure you didn’t go to London for your masters…now claiming ‘born and raised’!

• Elsa

July 11, 2015 at 11:26 pm

I mistakenly liked your comment…..ehhhhhhhhhhhh what’s in london that she wd want to claim born and raised??????? What is in the uk sef??? Ndi mkpi ndi afufu

• Ilya

July 11, 2015 at 4:21 pm

Abi, she is faking hers too..

• good stuff

July 11, 2015 at 6:35 pm

You people can be so unreasonable. What you don’t realise is that even within Nigeria different people and tribes pronounce things differently even if we spell it the same. In our household raised in Britain with parents with very thick Naija accents we pronounce moi moi as My my we have never said moi moi. And in Benue it will also be my my. After living in Lagos for a while I realised that most Nigerians want you to sound like you’re from Lagos or someone from a nollywood movie but the fact is we are all different. People need to stop being so closed minded we can all sound so different and be the same country, its ok

6. shutup

July 11, 2015 at 12:42 pm

My wife has a british accent and trust me she cannot even pronounce her own Nigerian name. Not everyone can change their accents easily

• Sunshine

July 13, 2015 at 4:06 am

Both of you should be proud that your wife cannt take the time to learn how to proudly pronouce her name. Inferiority complex and low self -esteem working against both of you.

7. VoiceOfReason

July 11, 2015 at 1:11 pm

I don’t understand…

8. ify

July 11, 2015 at 1:43 pm

i like her

9. Ilya

July 11, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Girl the fact that in Ojuelegba you could say Oh-ju-eh-ler-gbar shows that you can pronounce it. The trick is that you said ‘eh’ and not “eei” which a proper British girl would never have gotten. Obirin fakestarr, David Beckham can say Moi-Moi, how can you say “Maiy – Maiy” what happened to the O or is it your eyes? Then how do you pronounce MAY! Ok I’m sick to my stomach, i cant watch the rest.

• MAi mai

July 11, 2015 at 6:08 pm

I also grew up saying mai mai. It is when I went to other Nigerian friends houses are heard them saying moi moi lol. So I can relate to that girl as that it what I heard my parents saying.

• Ilya

July 12, 2015 at 4:20 am

Sorry hun but nowhere in the English speaking world, including Britain is “Oi’ pronounced as “ai”. So Moi can never be Mai…The worst you can get is “meo” kpa kpa “meow” (if you are channeling cats), even my Japanese in law could say Moi. So lets get down to the real issue: 1. Its either English is not your first language or 2. you never learnt to pronounce the English alphabets, 3. You are lying or 4. You just want to justify for the sake of typing something on Bella Naija. Better still you didn’t grow up anywhere near Europe or the countries it invaded.

• Tee

July 12, 2015 at 8:24 am

I am from the Naija Delta. Born and raised in Benin. I always knew it as Mai Mai until I came to Lagos as an adult …..

• debs

July 12, 2015 at 5:35 pm

I was born, raised and still live in Nigeria. My siblings and I used to pronounce it as “Mai Mai”. It was when I relocated to Lagos that I learnt the correct pronunciation. I think it has to do with what one was raised with.
      Moreover I have a 3year old niece residing in lagos, who only travels out with her parents on vacation, attends a small creche close to the house but has this outstanding American accent all cos she is always glued to her cartoons and kiddies videos.
      Its all about the environment one grows up in.

10. thatafricanchic

July 11, 2015 at 5:00 pm

Everything about the picture above there looks like a struggle. Her posing in the bathtub, holding the wine glass, trying to keep her hair away from the water all the while trying to show the world she’s having a rocking time.

• bruno FIERCE

July 11, 2015 at 7:32 pm

@africanchic

LOOOOOOOOL. I thought it was only me who noticed it. everything in that pic is an epic fail. lol

she’s so fake. i can spot a b!tch from a mile away and this stephani cooker girl is as fake as kim kardashian’s bumbum. I don’t care for her at all.

all these failures who failed in america and London but decided to come back to nigeria to become OAP. she’s in the same category with eku and ebuka and dolapo oni and co.

bye felicia

• egbon steph

July 11, 2015 at 9:06 pm

Bruno, jo o. Aburo temi o fail o. Yes, there’s room for improvement (as always), but make recommendations that are constructive, not abusive. Yes, it’s paining me…

• Niola

July 12, 2015 at 1:19 pm

Bruno! Kilo man se e? Why is she a bitch? You need to stop being mean and abusive.. Sometimes you complain that people take you for granted, people don’t accept you etc. you need to drop the nasty attitude we are indeed tired of it.you can be honest and blunt without being mean. So what if she and the others you mentioned failed in America and England and decided to come home, that is why it is called home darling,you know a place of sanctuary and acceptance..how different is it to other Nigerians who come back having tried unsuccessfully to get jobs in foreign countries. I.e you can’t get a training contract as a solicitor in Uk then you come back and do law school Abi? Should law school and law firms reject you or does that make you less of a lawyer.. If this will resolve your issues with her I doubt the accent is fake. It’s quite easy to tell trust me…

11. K

July 11, 2015 at 5:17 pm

Ahn Ahn what did she do wrong?? I have actually heard Nigerians pronounce moi moi how she did. And not the ones from England or America o. You guys should stop attacking her.

• didabliz

July 11, 2015 at 6:31 pm

A lot of folks I grew up wit bak in PH pronounce moi moi as maiy maiy !

12. Olodo

July 11, 2015 at 5:31 pm

Sandra A, your insecurity is not attractive!

• p

July 11, 2015 at 9:14 pm

thank you oh!!! is like someone vexed her.. ode ni!!!

13. shutup

July 11, 2015 at 6:35 pm

they have “urban” british accents o, not the normal British accent. so It’s harder for them to adapt. Try speaking to someone with a geordie accent see if you will understand, and na the same English language o

14. iseemaths

July 11, 2015 at 11:08 pm

Why so mean bruno… Is it your accent? Do you know her from birth? Speak your own, let her speak hers… Why are you so pained. Please take some advil or rub aboniki balm… Darnnnnnnnn (in my texas accent) and have seceral seats pls.?

15. Stella Kashmoney

July 11, 2015 at 11:15 pm

The beef is real here. I have a giveaway on my blog. Click on my face.

16. Shupri shupri

July 11, 2015 at 11:29 pm

Talking bout “im my bath tub” shebi u can afford bathtub? Isnt that Olumide’s bathtub where u r squating with him? Mtsewwww

• Ada Nnewi

July 12, 2015 at 5:26 pm

Na wa for you oh! Did you hear uncle lummy complain…

17. madam dey talk

July 12, 2015 at 12:15 am

I agree with Bruno. But the problem is even the fake almost successful OAPs’ are more successful than Bruno himself

18. wiklo

July 12, 2015 at 1:32 am

I have 2 sons born n being raised here…one of ’em can switch between yankee talk n pure konk broken naija English that would make u wonder if he was not truly born in Nigeria….older brother is not even 10% in his naija speak or pronunciation abilities…I guess some have the gift while others may not be able to switch it on/off/or try well……by the way we speak, listen and watch naija related music/films around them equally..

19. BlueEyed

July 12, 2015 at 10:52 am

One funny struggle is the British to American accent, other Brits I know transition very well and some of them have been to America just a few times. and a few others don’t even bother with the American accent.
    Secondly, steph’s accent is legit, real Brits know that there’s a wide range of accents in the UK, u meet some people and u’ll swear their accent is different but to them that’s the accent they’re familiar with

20. Jaj

July 12, 2015 at 11:24 am

You guys should let her be. I grew up in the eastern part of Nigeria. We called it Mai Mai for a very long time. And most people did. So moi moi o, Mai Mai o, all na still beans product.. Bottom line is call it what ever u wish please.

21. Nia

July 12, 2015 at 12:02 pm

You say Tomato, I say TohMaToh

22. cate

July 12, 2015 at 12:32 pm

I’m tempted to make a comment here… As for the mai mai pronunciation tat girl didn’t say what was written for er. she just said what she knows it is also called. i grew u in the North and in my house and others that i knew, said mai-mai, my parents said it always. When at 15, we moved to Lagos, people made fun of us but no, i dont catch myself saying maimai but i wont laugh at others who do cos i know it also right. However, it”s clearly spelt ere for the girl to follow but she didn’t.

23. BEAUTIFULNBLESSED

July 12, 2015 at 2:25 pm

FALZ………..GHOST PIMPLES. LMAO! LMAO! I CAN’T………

24. Wendy Blaze

July 12, 2015 at 3:21 pm

Anyone can fake a British accent if you speak well, watch enough uk movies and have no mother-tongue issues…. The real deal is speaking Cockney which is the konk British accent, Steph’s accent is good but she ain’t speaking Cockney that’s for sure sort of like Lagos yoruba and Ijebu yoruba… And the brits will rather call it beancake than moi or mai or meow… Have fun everyone.

25. Kiki

July 12, 2015 at 5:21 pm

very fake……

26. Ebony

July 12, 2015 at 6:37 pm

Haven’t watched the video but Steph Coker has to be the ultimate accent “struggler”. That was my first impression of her and it stuck

27. winneR

July 13, 2015 at 2:15 am

Fake gehs,they can totally speak normal naija accent,but are FORMING big time.Mtshewww.

28. zeeebby

July 13, 2015 at 10:11 am

I lived in the Northwest (Liverpool, Manchester) for 6 years. I find that my accent is always there but its stronger when I am in a serious conversation, arguing or when I get angry.

29. Elsa

July 14, 2015 at 12:46 am

I lived in the uk for a longgggggggg time…my accent is very igbotic and I love it…..i don’t understand how some people suddenly hv an accent…

30. peace

March 15, 2016 at 10:02 am

I just love her,she is very good.I love to be lyk her