News

Funmi Iyanda Says “Gay People Won’t Make You Gay… But Stupid People Can Make You Mad”

BellaNaija.com

Funmi Iyanda April 2015 7

Renowned media entrepreneur, Funmi Iyanda, tweeted an interesting comment that has got the Nigerian twittersphere talking.

Funmi Iyanda

1. A Real Nigerian

July 1, 2015 at 10:38 am

Stupid people can, indeed, make you run mad.
    For example, the majority of stupid, homophobic, close-minded BN commenters who won’t hesitate to go
    “Blah blah I have no issue with homos, but God’s judgement awaits them”
    “Blah blah blah the end justifies the means”
    “Blah blah end times”
    “Blah blah blah America is in trouble”
    “Blah blah blah God help this generation”
    “Blah blah [insert nugatory Bible verse here]”
    Urgh! So beta, so cringeworthy.

• Mohammad

July 1, 2015 at 1:17 pm

The stupidity trotted out in conversation with supposedly educated Nigerians, is sometimes so astounding that you worry for your sanity after engaging in some of these discussions.

Debate is necessary but only easy where people are able to think for themselves. So while we as Nigerians are sometimes highly educated (Mr Fani-Kayode, for example), we do not place value on being able to make intelligent arguments; instead selecting bits of texts and misinterpreting outright said texts to suit our selfish purpose. This is even disregarding the fact that religious is separate from state and the country is meant to be run on a secular basis. Sometimes I despair.

2. Paloma

July 1, 2015 at 10:54 am

you are one of them

3. leLabyrinthe

July 1, 2015 at 10:58 am

Sighs……at last! the moment of truth
    Reading through responses on Mugabe’s logic was quite disheartening. Thinking that being indifferent or not caustic to gay people makes one gay is beyond stupidity – It’s a logical absurdity, it’s like making division by zero seem like a reasonable argument!

Yet here we are, living and apparently thinking human beings propagating and supporting such reasoning.

4. dee

July 1, 2015 at 10:59 am

Yeah right… Gay people wont make you gay agreed, however, from a personal perspective, when i was ‘toasted’ some years back by a gay married dude much older than me ( I was 20), I mean the whole works that a guy would normally do and say to a girl he is interested in, (money, love, die for you all that nonsense), I felt very dirty. He kept on coming to the house pestering me, until I told my cousin who is about his age and they warned him off. That was a very crazy year for me cos it turned out that my cousins neighbour was also gay and was interested in me too. I ended my vacation ASAP! Thank you very much for the love!! I no want!! Madam, it didn’t make me gay, but it made me traumatised for a long time. I started asking questions like, why me? of all the boys in the neighbourhood my age? Am I gay, did I exude a signal that attracted him and the other guy? I even started staring at guys to see if I will find them attractive. Since then to date, when a friend (who likes girls o) puts his hand on my shoulder, I remove it ASAP, cos na so e de start. Madam, keep quiet there! The experience can be bad, stop trying to form enlightened and forward thinking.

• Iris

July 1, 2015 at 3:51 pm

Lol ok it made you uncomfortable. I’ll give you that. However, if only older women you thought were unattractive were coming on to you, you’d find a way to get over it. Lashing out at someone who has made you feel insecure isn’t the answer, especially if you feel that way because of your own hang-ups to begin with. You have to figure out how to deal with it. If you’re not gay, you’re not gay. There’s nothing to be analyzed even if gay people are hitting on you.

5. MEE

July 1, 2015 at 11:21 am

I see references to Caitlyn.

6. Yebo

July 1, 2015 at 11:46 am

This thing that like to say “This is Africa, we have cultural values” (as if other continents don’t have their own culture) sometimes makes us to reason in an unexposed manner. Yes, homosexuality is wrong, but why do we Nigerians focus on homosexuality as if that’s the only sexual sin? The same hell where unrepentant homosexuals will go to, is the same hell unrepentant fornicators, adulterers, etc will go to when they die. So if we are going to talk about homosexuality, let us not forget that even a “white lie” can land a person in hell if he doesn’t repent before dying. As Christians, we need to be doing our homework of Bible studies. If you are well versed with your Bible, you will know that all unrepented sins can lead a person to hell, not homosexuality alone. So let us be educating ourselves and each other, instead of choosing what parts of the Bible to believe or not to believe. The same person that rightly tells u homosexuality is a sin, will then try to argue with you that fornication and adultery are “not so bad”. Even the Bible has warned us to not subtract from or add to it.

7. Moji

July 1, 2015 at 11:57 am

Yes ooh! As pedophiles won’t make you pedophile.

• A Real Nigerian

July 1, 2015 at 12:08 pm

Wow. You are a terribly muddy-minded person.
      Strange how blinded homophobes end up using the “if you allow homosexuality, allow paedophilia too” argument which is completely senseless.
      It baffles me how someone can compare a consensual relationship between two consenting adults that in no way harms any of the individuals involved TO something as depraving as taking advantage of a helpless child.

• Anon

July 1, 2015 at 7:55 pm

@’real Nigerian on what basis or standard are you calling a pedophile sleeping with a child depraved? But men with beards and masculine hard bodies sleeping with themselves is normal,not depraved? Women inclusive. Don’t you see there’s a problem here? Someone wrote “Male dogs don’t mate male dogs,female animals don’t mate themselves,even insects don’t do it. Human beings have made themselves lower than animals” You are here pointing fingers! At who? And as what? When human beings act less than animals,who really is depraved?!!!! Be it incest,pedophiles,gay,beastiality,etc & whatever the world comes up with, are all DEPRAVED!!! After all when God created human beings he made them male and female starting with Adam and Eve NOT Adam and STeve!!

8. bruno FIERCE

July 1, 2015 at 12:57 pm

funmi u are so right.

stupidity spreads like wild fire in nigeria. I don’t blame many nigerians. not many people in this country have functioning brains. a stupid person who is so ignorant like a pastor can say something stupid and his congregation will just swallow it, hook line and sinker.

the most common ignorant statement nigerians like to make about gay people is

“if ur father and mother were gay will u be alive today”

My god!!!!! this is probably the most ignorant, most stupid statement I have ever heard in my life.

many of u are so foolish. smh

• cee

July 1, 2015 at 1:13 pm

But u havent sha made an effort to answer d queshun…maybe u shld attempt it…might be a re-awakening for u…Lol

• Mide

July 1, 2015 at 4:40 pm

It’s a question, maybe stupid, but one still….. any answers???…. it can be entirely stupid if you keep using ‘ignorant’ and ‘stupud’ to shy from answering…..

• Mide

July 1, 2015 at 4:41 pm

*stupid.

• MC

July 1, 2015 at 7:16 pm

OMG! I thought it was only me! That question is sooooooooooooooooo stupid!

Personally, I think a good majority of Nigerians (living in nigeria most especially) require critical thinking lessons.
      Is this a subject studied in nigeria?

9. Phoenix

July 1, 2015 at 1:25 pm

‘If your father and mother were gay would you be alive’? I think that is a good question to ask and I hope you ask yourself the same question too with a good sence of reasoning.
    Opposite attracts and it’s supposed to be that way (a male to a female) not the other way round.

• me

July 2, 2015 at 1:47 am

You do know that s e x isn’t the only way to build a family right? What about people that were barren yet adopted?
      Just love people and move on.
      We all have our sins. A wise human once said – Don’t judge people because they sin differently from you.

10. DES

July 1, 2015 at 1:59 pm

In animal kingdom it is male to female not female to female or male to male, only among human beings we hear and see things that made God regret He created human being. Lets call a spade a spade what is wrong is wrong don’t pamper the idea don’t consider the idea don’t celebrate the idea. It is alien and crazy!

• Ann

July 1, 2015 at 5:29 pm

Google “does homosexuality exist in the animal kingdom?” Then come and tell me how stupid snd uneducated you are.

11. tre

July 1, 2015 at 8:05 pm

me thinks most of these homophobic folks protest too much cos of their own hang ups..how does 2 consenting adults life style affect yours?There are so many kids out there who need to be adopted so….and on the other hand heterosexual folks who cant have kids,..my point being procreation is not the sole reason for sex…

12. Otylia

July 2, 2015 at 10:40 am

If my parents were gay, my soul would be in heaven resting in the bosom of the lord, not here in this crazy world. Stop asking that question as though u asked 2 be born. I do not see u waking up every morning thanking God ur parents were not gay.

13. unknown

July 2, 2015 at 1:50 pm

First and foremost, homosexuality EXISTS in the animal kingdom, so please people there’s no basis for that argument.
    Secondly, comparing homosexuality and pedophilia is plain stupid, there’s a reason why the latter is a crime. Its because it’s sexual intercourse with a minor, someone’s who’s under-aged, homosexuality is between two consenting adults,
    Most importantly, for those who use Adam and Steve, do you know how stupid you sound? Homosexuality has been in existence since like forever, and I don’t see the population of the world reducing.

14. ITK

July 2, 2015 at 8:40 pm

Like STUPID statements like the one you made.