News

Julius Agwu Opens up about His Weight Loss, Brain Surgery & More in New Interview

BellaNaija.com

Julius Agwu in April 2015

Julius Agwu in April 2015

For the past few months fans of ace comedian Julius Agwu have noticed and commented on his weight loss each time he steps out for an event. In this new and exclusive interview with Yes International Magazine, Julius Agwu opens up about his weight loss and the fact that he had brain surgery a few months ago.

According to him, he is very thankful and will be holding a thanksgiving service soon to tell the full story.

Yes International Magazine published the interview this morning.

Read excerpts below.

The Beginning – On the genesis of his ill health, he said he can’t say specifically when and how it started. But all he could recollect was that at some point, he went on and on losing serious weight, which got many people wondering. Some concerned ones started proffering solutions, both medically and spiritually, while others resorted to murmuring and gossiping.

JULIUS-1-702x1024 JULIUS-2-768x1024

The Breaking point – It went on and on until sometime in May when he had a seizure at home and while his wife, Ibiere, whom he lavished with so much thanks all through our stay for her love, care, understanding and support, battled to halt that, he ran out of breath. Almost lifeless. And with the likely consequences starring her in the face, Ibiere got their maid and the security man to assist her in getting him into one of their cars. And from there, they practically sprinted to their hospital in Lekki.Thank God the doctor was on call. He battled for hours with his team to ‘bring him back to life again’. And upon stabilizing him, Julius and his wife immediately left for the United States of America. Houston to be precise, where arrangement had been made at the Park Plaza Hospital.

The Diagnosis – After a series of tests, two lumps were discovered in his brain! The lumps had been messing up his health and causing his incessant weight loss. Immediately, the Caucasian surgeons went to work, operating on him for about 4 hours on Tuesday, May 12, 2015, at the Park Plaza Hospital in Houston Texas, United States of America. Upon being discharged, Julius rested in the US for some time before returning home recently.

Julius Agwu on his family & wife being there for him through it all:

“Onyeoma, I no go lie to you, na dem I just dey think about. But like I said earlier, it’s God at work. I want to thank everybody who supported me in one way or the other. Those that were praying for me and all that. I’m planning a thanksgiving where I will still tell the full story. But for now, I just want to thank God and my wife. Onyeoma! My wife tried. The day I had the seizure, she put her finger in my mouth and I bit it…All the vomit; the mess; she was the one brushing and bathing me on the bed and clearing and cleaning them. IB really, really tried for me.”

JULIUS-3-768x1024

Read the full interview on Yes International Magazine.

Julius Agwu celebrated his birthday in April 2015. Since then, he has pretty much been off the radar. He had his surgery in May 2015 and he is currently putting things together for the 10th anniversary of his annual Crack Ya Ribs comedy show.

Photo Credit: Yes International Magazine

1. Debee!

July 6, 2015 at 9:18 am

May your healing be permanent in Jesus’ name.

2. call me Eva

July 6, 2015 at 9:21 am

wow! Julius untimely death is never ur portion nd may God bless ur wife for her effort. Thank for a successful surgery, All is well.

3. Chi!

July 6, 2015 at 9:24 am

I thank God for your life Julius Agwu n may God bless ur wife for standing by u! God be praised!

4. twinkle

July 6, 2015 at 9:27 am

wow I did notice this and even commented once that he looked a bit frail. Am glad you are recovering. GET WELL SOON….

5. Flaky Pops

July 6, 2015 at 9:31 am

BTW -The grammar in this article is bewildering!

• kiki

July 6, 2015 at 9:55 am

I Tire o!
      lwkmd … RIP to good journalism

• Rahama

July 6, 2015 at 9:58 am

My dear….Caucasian doctors kwa?!!!!!

• Ifeoma Nwawe

July 6, 2015 at 4:30 pm

I thought I was the only one that noticed. What is anybody’s business with the race of the doctors that treated him?!

• #iamindeedbewilderedandflabbergastedtoo

July 6, 2015 at 9:56 pm

As in ehn?! tell me abourrit,not only that but the ‘i managed to get into one of our cars statement got me like..say what ? is this some form of bragging or is it the jounalist adding jara or what? we dont care how many cars he’s got or whch race of doctors treatd him.it just took the whole sympathy and real emotion one is meant to feel for this guy away jare but still i thank God he is alive and healthy

• Oyindee

July 6, 2015 at 10:19 am

May the good Lord bless you,i thought so too,oh dear!Julius,may the great physician visit you and make your healing permanent,our prayers are with you and your family…..

• whocares

July 6, 2015 at 1:32 pm

Whoever wrote it has a deep and intense hatred for punctuations. How else can you be talking about his seizure, and then go on to talk about the support and love from his wife in the same breathe whilst maltreating the poor punctuations? I like Julius also ran out of breathe reading :”it went on and on until sometime in May when he had a seizure at home and while his wife, Ibiere, whom he lavished with so much thanks all through our stay for her love, care, understanding and support, battled to halt that, he ran out of breath.”… Ogini (Collapses in exhaustion. I stopped reading after this)
      That said.. Thank God for Julius’ life. Brain related illness scare me. I lost a friend a few months ago and it was so sudden. She fainted at work, and six months later she was dead. #GodwinforJulius.

• Bolu

July 6, 2015 at 9:43 pm

@ Flaky pops, I know right!! Who even says ” Caucasian surgeon “. Foolishness at its peek!

6. Ashley

July 6, 2015 at 9:39 am

Thank God for him, his wife, early diagnosis and good medical care.

7. Tokunbo

July 6, 2015 at 9:46 am

Thank God for Life and resources to seek out good health care.

8. ethelade

July 6, 2015 at 10:03 am

It is well with u. Affliction shall not arise a second time.

9. Chiemeka Ugo

July 6, 2015 at 10:10 am

Thank you Lord for this. Wow wow. Am speechless

10. Noms

July 6, 2015 at 10:11 am

Thank God we didn’t hear he died of undisclosed illness.
    I knew something was wrong with him.
    In all Godwin.
    May God bless Ibiere.

11. Miss Pee

July 6, 2015 at 10:13 am

Thank God for wholeness it can only get better for you. @Flaky Pops, but you understood the whole essence of the story, abi? read and go on, Biko!

12. honey

July 6, 2015 at 10:15 am

I thank God for your life.

I am so happy you made it.

13. ada

July 6, 2015 at 10:16 am

Thank God for your life Julius. We give God the glory. SMH @ Caucasian surgeons

14. PurpleiciousBabe

July 6, 2015 at 10:18 am

Glad he is well..
    Thank God for quick action and financial aid to support this.
    I pray your joy will run over.

So glad. Good news.

But the interview sha lol ‘Caucasian docs’ why tho?? lol

15. mrs chidukane

July 6, 2015 at 10:22 am

Wow, this health thing ehn. Thank God he’s recovering. I pray the lumps don’t ever come back.

16. Kellyfbaby

July 6, 2015 at 10:24 am

Thank GOd for your life. You are really a testimony. However, was it necessary to inform us of your ‘Caucasian surgeon’?

17. Ese

July 6, 2015 at 10:43 am

This is obviously God at work. First,he had the seizure at home. Thank God he wasn’t anywhere else alone or driving on the road sef Help was available. Secondly,it wasn’t cancer..that would have been another story and beginning of a long battle. God is awesome!

• ldd

July 6, 2015 at 1:09 pm

who told you it isn’t cancer? a non cancer brain tumour cannot cause weight loss, it may just be in this case that it perhaps hasn’t spread thus resulting in good prognosis. In any case we give God all the glory for his l;ife. Brain tumours can be fatal

• daval8

July 6, 2015 at 2:08 pm

Yes a non cancer brain tumor cab cause weight loss. Please stop the misinformation. When in doubt read up or asked qualified medical personnel

• ldd

July 7, 2015 at 1:02 am

professor X please preach it brother….i like knowledgeable people,,,motor/psychomotor/sensory and cognitive deficits,what about simple common things like headache,vomiting,seizure etc

• ldd

July 6, 2015 at 1:11 pm

who told you it isn’t cancer? a non cancer brain tumour cannot cause weight loss, it may just be in this case that perhaps it hasn’t spread thus resulting in good prognosis. In any case we give God all the glory for his l;ife. Brain tumours can be fatal

• Professor X

July 6, 2015 at 2:58 pm

I’m actually with Davall on this one. I can’t imagine a meningioma (benign brain tumor) causing weightloss. Most brain cancer (even gliobastoma multiforme) neurological symptoms – sensory or motor deficits in addition to cognition deficits.

• ldd

July 7, 2015 at 12:44 am

@”doc” daval8 must you insult people to make your point? fair enuf anything can present with weight loss but you wont see that scale of weight loss in benign lesions ok…look it up

18. nene+

July 6, 2015 at 11:04 am

Thank God for you Julius. Your healing shall be permanent by the special grace of God.
    Using you as a point of contact to reach all that are sick to receive their healing. Amen.

• ldd

July 7, 2015 at 12:56 am

19. Olu

July 6, 2015 at 11:05 am

“One of their cars”……..”caucasian surgeons”……na wah o.
    Thank God for his life.

• Zennny

July 6, 2015 at 6:32 pm

I was like really…..”One of their cars” and ” Caucasian surgeons”…. why not car and doctor.

20. Sam.J

July 6, 2015 at 12:05 pm

this is how people die in Nigeria and we just say they died, So happy you’re fine Mr.Julius Agwu. Thank God your wife was well informed to try prevent asphyxiation by putting her hand into your mouth, and also for the resources to get quality diagnosis and treatment! It is saddening that in Nigeria in general we have such poor health care system where we can’t just work into a hospital to see a doc easily or even be properly examined often.

21. nene

July 6, 2015 at 12:11 pm

no wonder he looked sick. i knew it was not ordinary weight loss. thank God for his life!

22. mannastores

July 6, 2015 at 12:25 pm

Thank God for his life. Moreso, this is just a pointer to why its imperative to have a great support system;be it your family, wife, children or friend. Wish him speedy recovery.

23. krasavitsa

July 6, 2015 at 1:27 pm

Thank God for his life. So…….. they helped him into “one of their cars” and “practically sprinted” to the hospital. That’s some Flintstone Shit right there

• Mystique

July 6, 2015 at 2:21 pm

This just cracked me up………

• Hatsoff

July 9, 2015 at 3:20 am

Why is this soo funny!!

Julius, I thank God for your life. May the healing anointing of God fall upon you this moment. You’re healthy, you’re strong, you’re fully recovered!!! Untimely death is not your portion!

24. Ladi Michael

July 6, 2015 at 1:36 pm

Your healing is permanent IJN! Wishing Julius fast recovery! God is awesome.. Thank God for God!

25. Vic

July 6, 2015 at 2:06 pm

May your healing be permanent in Jesus name.Thank you Madam for taking care of Oga.

26. yeah

July 6, 2015 at 2:24 pm

Thank God for your life..

27. Nigerians reader

July 6, 2015 at 3:04 pm

.. No this person did not write… Wait.. What?? !!? Caucasian doctors?!! What.?!?! Who publishes these types magazines for goodness sake?!! I don’t even know where to start…

28. Nkeiru Uzoka

July 6, 2015 at 5:33 pm

I thank God for your life. your healing shall be permanent in Jesus name.

29. ACM

July 6, 2015 at 6:32 pm

All we have to say is thank u Lord. Praise God for your life Julius. Get well

30. mabel

July 6, 2015 at 8:12 pm

The balm of Gilead is still in the business of healing. Julius, your healing is permanent in Jesus name.

31. mary

July 6, 2015 at 8:34 pm

thank God for His mercies. May He continue to strengthen you in Jesus name

32. Strit Kredibility

July 6, 2015 at 9:20 pm

The Okombo master, Julius the genius the lion Agu. By His stripes you are healed once and for all. Please do quick arrange the thanksgiving make man show face.

33. Don Kester...

July 6, 2015 at 11:02 pm

Thank God you made it. I thank all those who responded to our plea for prayers. Yo God be all the glory.

34. Sunshine

July 7, 2015 at 2:00 am

Its a no brainer to visit a doctor the moment u loose weight at an alaming speed instead of going on a praying bringe. Waiting to have a near death experience that finally triggered a doctor’s visit is perpelexting. I hope he was not throwing shade at the nigerian doctors that saved his life .Making a comment about a white surgeons was uncalled for. Medicine is about saving lives not about the color of the physician that cares for you.

35. SAMUEL

July 7, 2015 at 6:36 am

36. Obinna

July 7, 2015 at 1:07 pm

Obviously, it was a bad idea reading preceding comments.

From arguing over whether non-malignant tumours cause weight loss, to agonising over a poorly-punctuated article using no less poorly-punctuated comments, to beefing over how many cars were referenced in the write up.

I can imagine Julius reading and shaking his head. On top say una come tell am “get well soon,” abi? Una dey try.

I empathise with you, my brother. Experiences such as yours reminds me how fickle life is. I’m glad you’re back on the mend. Thank God for small mercies.

37. Ese_sleek

July 10, 2015 at 11:00 pm

#na Godwin
    To God be all the Glory
    wishing him the visitation of the Greatest Physician to perfect all that He has started..
    BTW, e Ku ise oooo Caucasian doctors n one of the cars, thank you for working when needed……
    we still could have understood d gist…#smh

38. Chibaby

July 11, 2015 at 2:09 am

I guess its to highlight the fact that the surgery could only be done by Caucasians. Important thing is that he is fine, now. No need to read so much meaning into it.

• NaMe

November 13, 2015 at 6:09 am

Really? you think only white people can perform brain surgery? You sound just as stupid as the one who wrote this article. Ben Carson is a NEUROSURGEON who performed the very first successful separation a set of twins conjoined at the head, and guess what?? He is African American!! as in BLACK!! Just stop ok

39. Dr Bonnyhills

September 24, 2015 at 5:27 pm

All I can say is thanks to God. At last he has done a thasnsgiving and it all went well. I am pleased.

40. Adegoke seyi

October 11, 2015 at 9:50 pm

Julius …I appreciate God in ur life…but pls n pls u will for ever a legend in the comedy industry…bcos of this predicament, hold on till u are very much ok….God bless u

41. pvoo

November 21, 2015 at 7:33 am

I think we should thank almighty GOD for Keeping him alife, instead of dwelling on the use of letters ,