News

Rachel Dolezal Features in Vanity Fair | Says “I wouldn’t say I’m African-American, but I would say I’m Black”

Rachel Dolezal for Vanity Fair - BellaNaija - July2015001

Well it looks like Rachel Dolezal is still African-American.

After her ordeal where she claimed to be Black during her tenure as a part-time professor of Black Studies and President of NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Coloured People) chapter in Spokane, Washington, Rachel is still positive that she is and will always be Black.

In a feature interview in Vanity Fair titled “Rachel Dolezal’s True Lies”, Rachel says that even though she knows she isn’t African-American, she can’t help but be Black and people’s misunderstanding of her intentions is not her fault.

Read excerpts from the interview;

It’s not a costume“. “I don’t know spiritually and metaphysically how this goes, but I do know that from my earliest memories I have awareness and connection with the black experience, and that’s never left me. It’s not something that I can put on and take off anymore. Like I said, I’ve had my years of confusion and wondering who I really [was] and why and how do I live my life and make sense of it all, but I’m not confused about that any longer. I think the world might be—but I’m not.

It’s taken my entire life to negotiate how to identify, and I’ve done a lot of research and a lot of studying.” “I could have a long conversation, an academic conversation about that. I don’t know. I just feel like I didn’t mislead anybody; I didn’t deceive anybody. If people feel misled or deceived, then sorry that they feel that way, but I believe that’s more due to their definition and construct of race in their own minds than it is to my integrity or honesty, because I wouldn’t say I’m African American, but I would say I’m black, and there’s a difference in those terms.

Rachel Dolezal for Vanity Fair - BellaNaija - July2015

Read the rest of her interview on VanityFair,com.

Photo Credit: Vanity Fair.com

1. gia

July 20, 2015 at 9:01 pm

I no fit shout…
    O_O

• Kaeto

July 20, 2015 at 10:09 pm

I am not black too, like there is nothing like racism in Nigeria. Black is a community not only about skin but the mind. Some dark skin men don’t identify themselves as black people or the community because racism does not exist to them and a redundant factor to them. She might relate with black community and live like them traditionally, if slavery is to come in America, she goes down with them. Who knew Maria Carey has a biological black father, yet I thought she was white all along. And eminem is caucasian but identifies with blacks.

• ShineShineShine

July 20, 2015 at 11:53 pm

Come to think of it, why can she not be what she wants to be? In the same America of be what you want? Black is her reality.

Sista, welcome. We claim you.

2. chy

July 20, 2015 at 9:03 pm

my dear i wont blame u jo.black is beautiful,blacks dont crack

3. Jo!

July 20, 2015 at 9:05 pm

Look what Caitlyn has caused?

“I’ve always identified as Dangotes daughter, its not a costume, i identify with the rich-man-child experience” RME. Abeg shift

4. sOLO ACT

July 20, 2015 at 9:14 pm

IF BRUCE JENNER cAN identify as a woman then rachel can identify as black! thats my opinion

5. Onetallgirl

July 20, 2015 at 9:20 pm

This girl has a mental illness, born to two white parents yet says she’s black.

6. Girlbeingreal

July 20, 2015 at 9:36 pm

Lady just saying how she feels… It’s really not just black or white for some people. Some people’s reality is so far from what most can understand. #truth

7. CelticMom0266

July 20, 2015 at 9:38 pm

Bruce Jenner was born with a penis, yet said he identified as a woman. How is this any different??

8. iyke

July 20, 2015 at 9:42 pm

It takes courage to come out as black!
    The 2015 Bellanaija award for courage goes to you my dear Rachel??

• Mz Socially Awkward....

July 20, 2015 at 11:30 pm

????? … you funny somebori. And if ESPN Won’t do the honours, we should take up the mantle, abi? ?

• mamamia!!!

July 21, 2015 at 1:36 am

Legoo! It does jare, loads of it! Errrrm how about America you stop with the hypocrisy huh? Madam, feel free to come out as an animal if you like it’s called “courage/the new normal” after all in America.

9. uche

July 20, 2015 at 9:57 pm

Iyke is bae!

• Lele

July 21, 2015 at 5:26 am

Look uche face, help me out. I need to be 1000$ richer. Teach me your dancing steps.

10. illianado

July 20, 2015 at 9:58 pm

She is confusing cultural upbringing and experiences with race. If I am a black woman who grew up in an afluent situation – I am still black. A wealthy black person who grew up without struggles is not all of a sudden a white person. A white person who grew up in socially trying situations and experienced prejudices is not black. I believe the term she needs to use to describe herself is “posing.” She is a white woman who grew up in circumstances that lead her to pose as a black woman. She is a poser.

11. Lol

July 20, 2015 at 9:59 pm

Someone tell this delusional woman to sit down in the seat I had my carpenter musa make for her.

12. Fizz

July 20, 2015 at 10:28 pm

I’m sorry Rachel but you are not Black. It takes more than just compassion for the black mans plight to all of a sudden be black. You can be Pro-Black, we dash you that one after all pro-black does not mean anti-white but please sit down with this whole “I’m black and if you can’t see that then I’m sorry because I CAN see that” bull because that’s the same thing as being delusional. I mean I can start saying I’m a bird and dressing and acting like one but I still wont be able to fly and also I will probably be in a lunatics asylum.
    Very soon now people will become transracial…. I can’t cope with how humans are so easily brainwashed. There are bigger problems at hand like your village not having light and water and NYSC camps being just shameful for starters. Wake up people! Forget this beeyotch…

• Clementine

July 20, 2015 at 11:37 pm

With no disrespect I can understand what she is saying cause my best friend who is also white is in the same predicament She is born to a wealthy family in New England.You can’t be more American that that..Difference is my family members totally understand her and her Mom as well.So we gave her all the support she needed.I found it hard to understand initially..We have been friends for 20 years. Her African/Baptism name is Tobore and she is from Eku,in Delta.I beg live and let live.

13. well well well

July 20, 2015 at 10:44 pm

There are many black people all over the world walking around and identifying as white. No matter how black their skin tone is their minds are living the white experience and we say nothing about that. (oh yeah we do, we call them coconut) The world is just shocked that someone white and educated identifies as black and she actually comes out and says it, shock horror, it’s too shocking for them and us because WE, at least most of us subconsciously believe white is more superior so find it hard to wrap our heads around the idea that a white woman in the public eye will say such things. To be honest I think this story has run its course and I’m surprised I’m commenting weeks after it was news. Good luck to her and I don’t see the problem, I don’t think our race has anything to worry about if we think others will be joining her.

• Boomer

July 21, 2015 at 12:15 pm

A coconut is not a term used for black people. It is a term used for hispanic people – who look hispanic but dont speak spanish or act hispanic. Brown on the outside white on the inside.

14. samy

July 20, 2015 at 11:09 pm

If caitlyn or Bruce or whatever it is now is applauded for feeling like a woman why try and shame the woman which is easier to swallow if we r being realistic a 60 yr old man turning into a woman or a woman simply identifying as black?….double standards….The same stretch of the imagination that people can so readily apply to brucait should also be the case for her…..enough of the shaming

15. Clementine

July 20, 2015 at 11:40 pm

This ‘awaiting moderation’ does everybody get this all the time abi na only me..Pls BN REPLY SHARP SHARP

16. mabel

July 20, 2015 at 11:49 pm

Like they say ‘if you don’t know the month or year you were born, just choose any of the 12 months we have plus year too’. Are you the one that created her? Can you create? She said she is black leave her nau haba. She can choose to be anything and she’s not holding anybody. You too choose white nau or red. God created a human being and by herself she chose to be black and you’re pained. Why? As if God will judge by race.

17. abby

July 20, 2015 at 11:53 pm

If rachel says she is black,den she is!!!! In d world we live today,all forms of identity has been removed(social structures) and d earlier we realize dis d beta for us….as long as we are not identified by our gender,y do u tink we should b identified by our race or culture????? If She feels dat way,den she is dat way….u don’t know her better Dan herself…she has struggled all her life with who she really is,as has finally found happiness and peace with being black,den u call her delusional? Dats unfair….sooooo unfair!!!! Racheal thumbs up for coming out to d world, I wish u will b given d courage award too,cos in dies is true courage!!!!!

18. missatl

July 21, 2015 at 1:30 am

Mr or Ms illianado, how about them uncountable people who have (not trying to but have) confused biological upbringing??? caithlyn, lavern and Thousands of them, …Pls let her be….And for u who says she has a mental illness, you better tell that to the fagots and Trans first ok!!!!#

19. HeCallsMeTizarh

July 21, 2015 at 5:11 am

Don’t know who she is, or what’s she’s done or been through, But first BabyGehhh :* I love your hair!

20. tob

July 21, 2015 at 5:31 am

I support her right to be colorless, if she so desires. However, where was her empathy and zest for the blurring of racial lines when she sued Howard University for racial discrimination (A Historically Black College and University) with a dismal fraction of the endowment Harvard University and it’s likes have. What race did she identify with then? This disloyal somebody was mad they did not give her a teaching assistantship for her yeye artwork which blurred the lines of plagiarism. Then she turned around and sued the school, crying wolf.
    Thank God the judge dismissed the frivolous lawsuit, and saw it for what it really was. A SHAKE DOWN. This yeye someborri was jeopardizing the school’s limited funding and money that could have been spent on somebody’s financial aid package, she made them spend the money on attorney’s fees.
    So, what color was she then? When she sued a black school for racially discriminating her by not giving her a scholarship? Her standing for the suit was as a white girl. Her entitled WHITENESS. RACHEL when did you start identifying as black? Say the truth and put the devil to shame. I blame this mainstream media especially this yeye Vanity Fair for giving her a platform. They didn’t even ask her any of the hard questions.
    Like being black in America is not hard enough with police brutality and being passed over for jobs. Many blacks are dying daily at the hand of police, Sarah Bland, Freddie Gray, Eric Garner, the list continues. Now we have to worry about good for nothing imposters trying to claim a struggle they know absolutely nothing of.
    Like me too I can just go out and claim all the privileges of being a white person in America like it is nobody’s business. If I hear one stupid Hollywood producer is trying to make a movie out of her experience or she gets a book deal, ehn?!
    Bottom line is this has been the end goal from day one- To gain fame and notoriety from the struggle of the black race. First she tried to sue an HBCU. When that didn’t work, she turned to working for the NAACP, the badge of the black struggle. And her stupid parents, where were the whole time. They knew about her shenanigans a long time ago. Why did they just come forward to expose her. This whole story is so suspect and nobody is even asking the real questions.
    Bellanaija take your time oh and stop posting yeye articles like these.

21. Yebo

July 21, 2015 at 6:29 am

Saying you are black or saying you are a woman (even when u are a man) wont change the facts of what you are.

22. Lol

July 21, 2015 at 6:41 am

To her supporters
    what you don’t get is this lady goes around to public and government places clamming she was black.
    Making up fake stories that she was racially profiled.
    You dont do shit like that.
    Even our aunties that bleach when they file for taxes they check black or African american.
    Not Latino not white.
    There is a diffrnece.
    All jokes aside this lady needs deep therapy something is wrong with her.
    Keeping up with an act for 10 years plus. All those tanning bed visits( skin cancer and all.
    There is God .

23. RO2

July 21, 2015 at 8:09 am

I really feel for this genuine woman living a life of purpose been attached by the Caucasians and media and left out to dry by the black “Africa-Americans. The word Racism has been demean in the context of abuse to weapon of attach. Rachel Dolezal’s life is a vail we can see through our purpose in life, it is not the colour of the skin but the content of our character and the faith that holds our believe. Yenis Varoufakis ex- Greece Finance minister claimed to be black and even became President of Black student union at Essex University while doing his PhD in the 80’s. The question is what do you stand for even as Black, Euro- African or Africa-America.

24. naijaflo

July 21, 2015 at 9:22 am

Woman you need help. There’s nothing wrong in supporting black cause as a white person.
    naijaflo.com

25. peyton

July 21, 2015 at 1:06 pm

Rachel darling if they don’t like you you can always come to Nigeria. Yeah we have a lot of issues but Papa Bubu is gonna work miracles so I suggest you consider it. Great nation good people good food, do come. And you are black it doesn’t if your parents are Caucasians, all that matters is you how you feel and lady you are courageous for saying you are black.

26. mgtss.blogspot.com

July 21, 2015 at 6:02 pm

Guinness did say Black is not a Colour but an Attitude…