Career

This Sagamu Boy is Off to Stanford! 2015 Stanford Africa MBA Fellow, Michael Adesanya Shares His Inspiring Story

Michael AdesanyaBorn and raised in Sagamu, Ogun State, Michael Adesanya has been nothing but an extraordinary example to follow. Graduating from Mayflower school, Ikene with nine distinctions and a First Class degree in Chemical Engineering in 2010, Michael has gone on to add being the winner of the 2015 Stanford African Fellowship [worth $145,000] to his list of achievements.  In addition to his academic strides, MLK Adesanya is also the co-founder of Taylor-Loran – a men’s fashion label in Lagos.

In this interview with Gbenga Awomodu,  Michael Adesanya shares an intriguing story of doggedness and passion for excellence. He also dishes candid, valuable tips for potential applicants!

Meet Michael Adesanya
I prefer the name “MLK Adesanya” and I work for Procter & Gamble. I joined as an intern in 2011 and became a Key Account Manager in charge of the company’s distributor business in Abuja and North Central Nigeria within two months. I currently serve as Corporate Market Strategy & Planning Manager of P&G Nigeria responsible for leading go-to-market innovations and designing market strategies to deliver leadership sales and help our brands win sustainably in the market. In short, I am a salesman with P&G Nigeria.

Growing Up in the Face of Tumultuous Elementary Education
I was born and raised in Sagamu, a small town in Ogun State. It was tough growing up and education didn’t come easy. My persistence about getting good education was supported by my mother all through. I attended seven different primary schools in the space of four years. I didn’t want to go to the public schools because of the dilapidated state, so my mother enrolled myself and my brother in private schools we couldn’t afford and we were always sent away for non-payment of school fees.

A Mother’s Sacrifice Rewarded
My mother paid a critical price for our education by offering to work in Mayflower School, Ikenne as a hostel matron without salary so we could study. She worked there for the ten years it took me and my brother to complete primary and secondary education. I graduated from Mayflower School, Ikenne in 2004 with nine distinctions in addition to emerging Best Overall in Nigeria at the national JETS (Junior Engineers, Technicians & Scientists) competition. I also graduated from the University of Lagos with a First Class in Chemical Engineering in 2010. While at UNILAG, I served in various leadership positions including President, University of Lagos Engineering Society (ULES).

Discovering the Stanford Africa MBA Fellowship
My Stanford story started from Twitter after a friend retweeted an advert from an admissions agency for prospective graduate students. I contacted the agency, where I was informed about the high ratings for Stanford GSB and the Stanford African Fellowship. I had set eyes on an MBA from Harvard Business School prior to the time. This was just some days to the Africa Fellowship application deadline! After reviewing my resume, the agent advised that I give it a shot. Having reviewed the requirements and researched about the school, I was able to put my application together within 3 days with the help of the agency.

Winning the 2015 Stanford African Fellowship
I can’t fully express the feelings in words. The news came together with that of my admission. I had waited for hours, expecting the call from the Assistant Dean of Admissions. It came through as I was boarding a flight to Abuja. Super exciting! The process was very tasking and suspense-filled; a chance of getting into Stanford is the slimmest among all other top business schools in the world. Admission rate this past year was 5% and a 6.8% average in the past 5 years!

The application process involved applying for the African Fellowship before applying to the program. We wrote to the Admissions Committee about how we hope to shape the future of Africa in 250 words. My piece about my plan for Sagamu was shortlisted among the top 80 African entries. Then I applied for the MBA admissions and was among the lucky eight (8) awarded the Fellowship. The only Nigerian with the fellowship, I was filled with gratitude and excitement. It helps to shave off at least $136K from the program cost.

NSM-168The Financial Reality of a Top MBA Program
An MBA degree from any top business school in the world is an expensive pursuit, especially at Stanford which is strategically located in the heart of Silicon Valley. The Fellowship will with over 50% of my total cost of attendance (about $251K) which includes tuition, accommodation, medical insurance, living expenses and cost of academic trips. The balance of about $105K (≡ N21M) is still huge, but I am working hard to get it sorted before September 2015 resumption. I have some personal savings, though relatively small, and I have also applied for other African MBA scholarships like TY Danjuma MBA scholarship. I have made it to this point from shaky beginnings in primary school; I believe this will get sorted, too. The Lord who has started this good work will bring it to completion.

Positioning For National Impact
W.E.B. Du Bois in his essay “talented tenth” described the likelihood of one in ten black men becoming leaders of their race in the world, through methods such as continuing their education, writing books, or becoming directly involved in social change. In Nigeria, we need well trained and highly skilled leaders in the next phase of development. I can see, and want to position and prepare myself to be part of our future. Enterprise and education (with a focus on Science & Technology) is the key to unlocking the potentials in Africa and I believe so much in the tenets of Afrocapitalism as being championed by the Tony Elumelu Foundation.

Dreaming Five and Ten Years From Now
Marin Luther King Jnr. said, “I don’t know what the future holds but I definitely know who holds the future.” As God permits, in the next 5 years, I see myself leading an international business organization or serving African governments, preferably Nigeria, as a senior business consultant. In ten years, I see myself working for the Nigerian government as a technocrat, leading social change, especially amongst the youths, to solve the problem of unemployment and poverty through enterprise and education. Imagine same caliber of Nigerian talents employed by most multinationals working instead for the government! Though the government needs to reposition itself to be more attractive to top talents, top talents also need to develop the love and drive to pour their energy into governance. This is the only way Nigeria will develop.NSM-156

Keynotes On Getting into Stanford
Make up your mind early. You need enough time to reflect, prepare and package your application. I recommend you start at least 6 months before deadline! Read ALL available information about the program on the school’s website or other MBA blogs. If possible, attend the admissions event organized by the school. You should also choose your recommenders carefully and wisely. Inform them on time, not less than 3 months before deadline. Their title doesn’t matter. Instead of your GM or Director who might never have enough time to write a rich recommendation for you, focus on direct supervisors/managers and peers who know much about your abilities and can invest enough time writing a good recommendation.

The services of professional editors and proof readers also come in handy. Applying for an MBA program in top business schools is like submitting a business proposal, you need to be professional. Every penny you pay a good editor will is worth it. I got one the difference was obvious. Don’t wait till too late before starting application; my case was God’s grace through the help of admissions agency. I wouldn’t take that for granted if I were to do this again.

You can read more about Michael Adesanya at www.mlkadesanya.com

Digital Content Strategist | Creative Writer. Copy Editor. Storyteller. Vocalist. Amateur Pianist. Spoken Word Poetry recording artiste. Lover of Words & Images. #ArsenalFC. Twitter: @gbengaawomodu

1. Amh

July 21, 2015 at 12:47 pm

Handsome yoruba boy. Brain and beauty. So proud of you. Just like my boys. They excel in all levels.

• CONGLOMERATE

July 21, 2015 at 3:36 pm

You’re pathetic, what has tribe got to do with the story?

• Duchess Maria

July 21, 2015 at 4:17 pm

You guys need to chill. So someone cannot give shoutout to a tribe again. The man is Yoruba, so what is wrong with acknowledging that?
      You don’t see white people foaming at the mouth when someone says “That is a strong black man” or black people getting upset when someone says “That is an accomplished white man”. Abeg you guys and your hypersensitivity about tribes should chill abeg.

Congrats MLK. This was truly a very inspiring read. May you keep soaring and by God’s grace, you will sort out the balance of your Masters costs.

• *curious*

July 21, 2015 at 6:34 pm

well, the way amh said it definitely doesn’t foster love among the different tribes or promote the ONE Nigeria many of us want.

I’m yoruba and amh, your comment doesn’t sit well with me.

Congratulations Michael!!! Keep making us proud 🙂

2. Ashley

July 21, 2015 at 12:57 pm

Very well done. Ivy League ain’t beans.

• Congratulobia

July 21, 2015 at 5:43 pm

$250K for MBA at Stanford!!! nwanne bia, the are cheaper schools in America biko. congrats omo boy but I gotta ask why do Nigerians like wearing the name of their skool as a badge of honor. you spend all that $$ and you will end up as an international student fighting to get sponsorship. nothing do u sha.

advice – apply to MLT and other consortiums for minority students. not sure if u will ualfy as u are a non-resident currently.

• Ashley

July 21, 2015 at 8:55 pm

Not everybody wants to go to a cheaper school. Some brains are made for these schools. If you think it’s only Nigerians who wear their schools as a badge of honour then shine your eyes. It is a worldwide thing. that’s why we hear and read that American Presidents have been to one Ivy League school or the other, British PMs and MPs are mostly Eton and Oxbridge trained, Israeli politicians are Princeton and Yale trained, the Jordanian monarch, Bhutto family, Ghandi family are Oxbridge graduates. see how far they have gone. Don’t hate the players hate the system that you can’t break into. Lol. If you think a South Connecticut State University graduate is at par with an MIT or Yale graduate, sorry I can’t help you.. your advice is a true hater’s advice. very wicked oh. Congratulate people and move on.

• randommer

July 22, 2015 at 12:27 pm

lol stop sipping that hater juice. Didn’t you see that Stanford gave him a fellowship so he only has to pay $100k. The condition of that fellowship is that he comes back to Africa within two years and works for at least 2 years and so he won’t be struggling for international sponsorship.
      As for Consortium – if you don’t want to go to the schools on the list nko?

• Dee

July 28, 2015 at 5:22 am

yeah, I don’t know why it cost that much- isn’t average tuition cost usually around 50k?- 100k for 2 years- max of 30k for living expenses and fees- shouldn’t be more than 160k at the max max max- Stanford is not even as expensive as other cities…but hmmmm

3. olu

July 21, 2015 at 1:11 pm

The love and sacrifices of a mother.

Salute!

• bisi

July 22, 2015 at 5:20 pm

Their mother really really tried for them,i was in the same school with them,the younger been my mate right from our primary school days,we call her aunty tayo,God bless her so much,her energy I didn just understand how she always pulled through.

4. daihorlar

July 21, 2015 at 1:20 pm

We went to mayflower together! I’m really proud of him. But believe me his mum, “aunty tayo” kia that woman, I admire her sooo much, bella naija you need to interview her , soo much strength, she has more than enough love to throw around!she is indeed a mother! Michael there’s no limit keep saoring high!

• MLK

July 22, 2015 at 6:12 pm

My mother read this piece this morning and she dropped tears (of joy)…she is proud of you all. In her words, she says “My hostel children made the work fun for me. They didn’t make me feel the stress. They will all succeed”

5. Matilda

July 21, 2015 at 1:47 pm

“My mother paid a critical price for our education by offering to work in Mayflower School, Ikenne as a hostel matron without salary so we could study”
    ughhhh those words touched the depths of my soul. Only a mother can do that!. God bless her and all our mothers who go through hell and back to make sure we are fine, while keeping a smile on their faces.
    Congrats MLK, you are blessed and I can only imagine how happy you’ve made your mother with your achievements…. her sacrifices were well worth it.

6. x-factor

July 21, 2015 at 1:51 pm

Congrats bro
    Dear BN, this is the second inspiring story I am reading on this platform today, THANK YOU. However, both stories drums home an intense symphony of the struggles, travails and sacrifices of women who are worthy to be called MOTHERS.

My Point exactly…. I guess for editorial juice, may I humbly suggest, that we request that these successful kids post pictures of them, taken with their mums. Those women are the unsung heroines of the glory that inspires us and they deserve to be celebrated. A BIG SHOUT OUT TO ALL MOTHERS ESPECIALLY THE SINGLE MUMS

On a lighter note, @ Amh, Must this really be about Yoruba or not???, what about a handsome young man or a handsome NIGERIAN boy. I want to believe that the demography of Bellanaijarians should know better when it comes to consciously saying NO to ethnicity and Bigotry. I worry for the future of this country most times when our comments degenerate to ethnic/racial glory alliance or hostility knowing fully well that ….“out of the abundance of the heart, the fingers typeth”…. I am a Yoruba boy and I guess I may be talking to a brother or sister , I mean absolutely no disrespect but just thought to appeal that we make conscious choices to strive for ONE Nigeria!. One love

• Dami

July 22, 2015 at 4:22 am

@ X factor

People are making a big deal out of it. There’s absolutely nothing wrong pointing out a handsome Yoruba guy. After all, he’s Yoruba. Nigeria has 250 tribes and we should acknowledge/recognize each group. The only problem is when you state dividing or disrespectful words to other groups to demean them.

But acknowledging your Yoruba, Igbo, Benin, Hausa, river state , people etc nothing wrong at all.

7. Ivory

July 21, 2015 at 2:20 pm

Micheal! my classmate from Js2 to Ss3! Intelligent Guy! so proud of you! i’m sure your mum is too! all the best!

8. Friday's other child

July 21, 2015 at 2:22 pm

Many congratulations to him, this is a wonderful story and what an incredible human being his mother is. I hope he realises every one of his aspirations. However September isn’t that far away and he still needs to raise considerable funds!

In the event that you read this Michael, have you checked whether P&G offers an education grant? Most multi-nationals do, although they’ll probably require you to pay it back if you leave the company before a certain time frame after course completion. That however shouldn’t be a deterrent as most multi-nationals (if you move to another one) offer a substantial signing bonus to their MBA hires and some even offer to cover the cost of the MBA, if you’re a particularly sought after candidate. Good luck!

9. graciemama

July 21, 2015 at 2:38 pm

God bless his mum and the sacrifice she made.

• Chinedu E

July 21, 2015 at 5:08 pm

Amen

10. Gorgeous

July 21, 2015 at 2:53 pm

Now that you have arrived, please take good care of your mother. Do not let any foolish girl come and tell your mother nonsense please. be careful who you let in your life. Good mother’s are so precious. Imagine working 10years without salary to provide for your kids. Eni bi iya ko si men. I envy you.

• Kwase

July 21, 2015 at 3:58 pm

He is married

• Dolapo

July 21, 2015 at 8:00 pm

I already pity the daughter in law that walks into this “I owe mommy for life” marriage. Wahala wa

• bisi

July 22, 2015 at 5:25 pm

If u knew what their mom went through because of them,u wouldn’t ever talk that way nor would be willing to go through same just to make them well,if the girl likes she should stay if she likes she should F- off,mothers like aunty tayo are so rear,he is married to a girl that understands i persume,not someone like u

11. Ladym

July 21, 2015 at 3:03 pm

Really inspiring piece.

12. OgoDesh

July 21, 2015 at 3:09 pm

Congrats MLK! Go on and make us all proud!!!

13. TA

July 21, 2015 at 3:29 pm

Well done MLK,so proud of you. Congratulations on getting into Stanford.
    May God bless your mother. Later now,somebody will say irrespective of the mother’s sacrifices ,Michael choose to send her to an old people’s home when she is old and unable to care for herself. Yes o,some responses on Atoke’s article yesterday really vexed me. Nonsense!

14. Crystal

July 21, 2015 at 3:35 pm

Congrats MLK ! Really inspiring . I celebrate your Mum . I pray God takes you to greater heights in Jesus Name

15. Lizzie

July 21, 2015 at 3:57 pm

Amazing story. God Bless and keep you and your mum

16. Oludara Ogunbowale

July 21, 2015 at 4:01 pm

I remember his mum. She was our matron(lovely woman,I still remember the vigil we held one night and she titled it ‘Common good’ she taught us to be very kind and also to cast our cares upon God.That woman is amazing and very humble.Plus she can pray for the world!Im really glad for this. Weldone Michael. .Keep making mama proud…To all strong women out there.You can do it . Keep striving….God is not unfaithful to forget every labour of love.God lives and still does great things..im so elated.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

July 21, 2015 at 11:09 pm

She sounds amazeballs. Our unsung Nigerian heroines who aren’t readily acknowledged because we’re too busy looking for the easily recognizable surnames and other outward labels that we prefer to identify our female role models by.

Amen to your prayers for all the strong Nigerian women. Labour on, my sisters, it won’t ever be in vain and we (as well as our daughters) have an infinite ability to create greatness from the works of our hands.

You have an amazing mother, MLK. She’s literally the genesis of your story and there’s is still more to come in your life that’ll make her give joyful praise to God. Congratulations and enjoy the new challenges at Stanford.

17. Lola

July 21, 2015 at 4:02 pm

Thankful to God for his life! If only all mothers could be this way, some just leave their children to their fate 🙁 Best of luck to him at Stanford! Hoping he actually returns to Nigeria afterwards! These are the leaders we need!!!!!

18. Person

July 21, 2015 at 4:05 pm

And then somebody will come back and say, kids don’t owe their parents anything. That it is the parents obligation to take care of the kids because they chose to have them, but no, no reciprocal obligation from the kids. She you will tell this nice young man to put his mother in an elderly home when the time comes? I laugh in French 😀

Congratulations on your many successes. Wishing you plenty more! So much harder to get into Stanford than the other Ivies so doubly proud and happy for you!

19. Chinedu E

July 21, 2015 at 5:07 pm

Great Mothers, great women, they are every where ,making great sacrifice for their loved ones. Inpirational piece from BN. i love this .

20. Peaches77

July 21, 2015 at 6:18 pm

Big congratulations! Keep flying High.

Kai, May God bless your mother with health to witness and partake in your success.

21. Iphie

July 21, 2015 at 6:19 pm

Go MLK!!!! We are super proud of you…..and your mom has more than inspired me. Thanks for making her proud and may God keep you safe and the flag flying. You know we all love you and you are always in our prayers. Go make us scream!!!!!

22. Victor I

July 21, 2015 at 6:34 pm

Congrats MLK. Somehow I know if God brings a man this far, he doesn’t just abandon him. Something would happen, it always does. Don’t be discouraged. If you can read this, keep looking for money, expect good news soon.

God bless your mum. Thank God we Nigerians have mums like this.

23. Fofo

July 21, 2015 at 6:42 pm

Congrats MLK..no stopping you! The world belongs to those who fear less and press forward! Wishing you all the best. Fofo

24. Dolapo

July 21, 2015 at 7:57 pm

Ok so you mean BN Forgot to feature my sister who graduate from HBS in 2006 and yours truly who graduated from Kellogg 2010 ( full ride for me by the way). How is this unheard of ? Mscheweeeeeeee

25. Tosin

July 21, 2015 at 8:13 pm

God bless you bro. If I had the money, I’d give it to you lol.
    The closest thing to advice I have is: Stanford! If I went to an academic programme at Stanford I’d probably do rubbish in school because there’s so much to learn (even outside class) in a community like that.

ULES President, eh? I must have just missed you, just before Shogbamu?

• Olalekan

July 27, 2015 at 9:26 am

Aunty tosin otitoju, my academic role model, MLK is a great guy. If I had too I won’t mind contributing. God will surely make a way out. In the interim you can write to government agencies like NITDA, NNPC …. and multinationals too.

26. Anon

July 21, 2015 at 9:48 pm

Orisa bi iya ko si

27. A.y

July 21, 2015 at 10:10 pm

This is so inspiring. Congratulations to you Michael. I will so do more for my children, may God help me. Amen!

• MLK

July 22, 2015 at 6:05 pm

Please do everything possible. It will always pay out. Thank you for your kind words.

28. Lina

July 21, 2015 at 10:40 pm

MLK…. super proud of you. Oh…your dear mum…may she live to reap the fruit of her Labour. God bless her beautiful… I am inspired. Congrats bro

29. Chidinma

July 21, 2015 at 11:16 pm

Wow.!! And we sit in d same office daily.. Truly inspiring.! I already love ur mum.! Can’t wait to hug you tomorrow. Ur story just strengthened areas of weakness in my life.. May you continue to soar to greater heights my good friend.! Proud to know u MLK.!

30. odo

July 21, 2015 at 11:51 pm

Mike am so happy for you, I remember when we were in Mayflower school, your mum did what others can do for their children. Great mother God has bestow for you. once again congratulation and also which u the best in life.
    According to our merry mayflower song number 9 that say we shall overcome some day. Mike more blessings to come your way.

31. Ayodele O

July 22, 2015 at 12:15 am

Thanks for this piece and congrats.
    This has not only motivated me, it has also taught me not to lose hope. Please keep it up.

32. GL-A

July 22, 2015 at 12:17 am

MLK the magnificent. Super congrats and keep repping the the Yoruba clan, ijebu clan, Naija as well as P&G.

33. Pope-Ikue

July 22, 2015 at 7:14 am

I so bless the day I met u boss, since I met MLK, my life changed, my story too. Never met a man so selfless, inspiring and particularly bent on making sure that u are a better person. GOD BLESS YOUR MOTHER. The world is waiting u sir, #MLK the magnificent.

34. Ebun

July 22, 2015 at 9:15 am

Michael!!!!!! Unbelievable! Your mum…wow. you are the only person I know that can combine so much seriousness and comedy. I am truly inspired. God bless you bro. Make your mum and God proud.

35. IKB

July 22, 2015 at 9:15 am

Truly inspiring. Mothers!

36. Koffie

July 22, 2015 at 11:15 am

Wow! 10 years labour without pay for her kids? You and your sibling are blessed with a great mother. God that has brought you this far will not neglect you. He’ll raise men to help you and your testimony will be complete. I’m literally in tears (good ones). God will continue to inspire you especially while you’re at Stanford, He’ll lift you up when the cloudy moments come.
    Its true what the bible says about virtuous women; your children and even outsiders will call you blessed. Mama Michael, you’re blessed. After someone will come and say children are not obligated to reciprocate love and care to parents should they become incapacitated by age.

37. Laura

July 22, 2015 at 12:46 pm

“In Nigeria, we need well trained and highly skilled leaders in the next phase of development. I can see, and want to position and prepare myself to be part of our future. Enterprise and education (with a focus on Science & Technology) is the key to unlocking the potentials in Africa and I believe so much in the tenets of Afrocapitalism as being championed by the Tony Elumelu Foundation”…….always nice to see Nigerians who see potential in their country and wish her well, ….it is well with Nigeria

38. Tolu

July 22, 2015 at 8:22 pm

the role of women in the society cannot be overemphasized. The family is the smallest unit of the society, Great families make great countries, So…. Great mothers make great nations. Go MLK! God bless mum!

39. Collins Imoh

July 22, 2015 at 8:23 pm

congratulation sir

40. Moby

July 22, 2015 at 8:29 pm

MLK – Very inspiring story. I have been inspired by you since the day you agreed to train me on Sales Fundamentals. No doubt you’re headed for great things! Never take your eyes off GOD.

41. Gizmo

July 22, 2015 at 8:42 pm

MIchael!!!! I am SO gosh darn proud of you and in awe. I cannot believe my good fortune at having worked with someone as gifted as yourself all these years. We will miss you enormously but I am so excited for what’s ahead of you! You will be amazing, thank you for lending us your greatness, we will miss you something awful! Go and be XTRAORDINARY…YALLA!!!
    P.S God bless your mum…and all mothers for everything!

42. Charles

July 22, 2015 at 10:02 pm

The Lord who has started this good work will bring it to completion…Go in this spirit and do great exploits. Am so proud of you,my friend.God bless Iya Wale.

43. Miss Anonymous

July 22, 2015 at 10:05 pm

Truely inspiring. Well done.
    The world is indeed your oyster!

44. Maidaula D'Sheikh

July 22, 2015 at 11:14 pm

MLK “Mika’ilu Dansanya” Adesanya :-). A Pack of walking talents going somewhere to happen!! An gaishsheka! Like Buchi used to say, “young MLK, push harder, go faster, go farther, fly higher; if that’s not why we came, why bother?. And I say amen to everyone’s prayer for your the angel you call mother.

45. babs

July 23, 2015 at 7:29 am

Aunty Tayo as sh wz fondly called was a rare matron. Funny, hardworking and strong. Sh wins all parent races at our Inter-house sport competition. MLK I remember you, ToyinTaiwo Alaba, Kelechi et al. Brainy guys back. Keep doing ur best bro. @bellanaija u need to interview the mum n feel d humour, strength in her

46. Olubukonla Aloba

July 23, 2015 at 8:52 am

awwww! Senior Dara do you remember me? I use to sweep ur bay back then…lool. Bukky Aloba

47. Charles

July 23, 2015 at 9:01 am

Loke Loke aburo.
    You just made my morning.
    Every purposeful hardwork and pursuit, always pays of if diligence and continuity is attached.
    I wish you all the luck you need, keep being an inspiration, to the less privilege, that knows “slight work over ‘work work’ ”

And to your mama, I lack words..
    God bless her, and may she become an example to mothers in Nigeria.

Great Post #BellaNaija

48. Adesipe Festus

July 23, 2015 at 9:24 am

Wow, inspiring!
    Congrats Michael.
    Keep soaring, higher heights I pray & more milestones for you on the road of success

49. DKB

July 23, 2015 at 10:12 am

What can i say? Honored to have worked by your side! You’ve been a driving force to yourself and i know that this is just the beginning! Go on and do your Mum and all of us who are rooting for you proud!!!!

50. Adekunle Dayo

July 23, 2015 at 11:58 am

A man’s life is basically imparted by family love and sacrifices given by the wonderful aunty Tayo and the life lessons and education we [email protected] school.congrats to you Micheal and shout out to all ex-mays out there.

51. Bodinson

July 23, 2015 at 12:26 pm

Congrats MLK, As you said you are interested in governance, Let’s meet at the Top! Keep the flag flying and keep on being source of motivation to up-coming Nigerian Youths. Keep it up!

52. zegler

July 24, 2015 at 4:26 am

Congratulations. Please go there, get the degrees and PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE COME BACK HOME TO HELP YOUR COUNTRY AND AFRICA NOT THE WEST. We have seen so many brain-drain from naija

53. Emmanuel Alagbe

July 27, 2015 at 4:15 pm

Really inspiring. God bless your Mum.
    Greater heights for you. “We too go get there” ?

54. Fola Ehindero

July 28, 2015 at 1:31 pm

Congrats MLK!!! God bless your mum real good. she was my matron back in school and she was a wonderful woman, full of positivity. I Couldn’t help but share this link with my colleague just to show how proud I am to be a product of Mayflower school and also an Akokite. May God take you to greater heights.

55. Oruche Nkiruka

July 28, 2015 at 11:26 pm

Awww…. I’m so happy I came across this. Congratulations to you, your mum and entire family. You have so made them proud. I learnt an invaluable lesson from your mum; she makes Pro. 22:29 so true. No one would have guessed that she wasn’t getting paid, she was working so diligently and cheerfully, even possibly better than those who were getting paid.

After reading this, I promised to devote myself to my job, family and all that is in my care. I also made up my mind not to give up on myself but instead keep trying to beat my own records. I wish you the best of God in all your endeavors.

My special regards to Aunty Tayo. She was my fave matron back then.

56. Ola

July 30, 2015 at 1:37 pm

Really proud of this dude , knew him back then in secondary school, very cool, calm and intelligent

57. Enoch

August 2, 2015 at 3:20 pm

What an inspiring story. See you at the Top

58. alaba

August 2, 2015 at 4:10 pm

MLK..All I av to say and av always said is dat ur mum should always be in ur heart,find a portion in ur heart to kip her dere,she mustn’t be forgotten..she is been a mother not only to you but all children around her..i remeber when we were staying togeda preparing for Jamb then in 2004,she took me like her biological child.She is a rare type..I was with her few days ago and it was inspirational talks coming from her.I pray she lives long to witness and reaps from her good works.

59. mend

August 5, 2015 at 1:10 am

Weird that MLK is looking for sponsorship, especially since he was awarded the PRESSID scholarship.. Number 70 on this list nuc.edu.ng/nucsite/File/Monday%20Bulletin/MB%202014/PRESSID%20Final%20List-ADVERT%202014.pdf

• MLK

August 6, 2015 at 5:04 pm

Unfortunately I can’t use the PRESSID scholarship for MBA. I have tried my best to convince them to allow me. But NO WAY. They have to stick to policy. Quite unfortunate brother. But we shall overcome this too!

• mawureh

September 22, 2015 at 9:38 pm

Congrats Man! I’m happy a Nigerian made it! I also applied for the Stanford Scholarship but unfortunately my essay wasn’t strong enough i applied really late and by myself so i didn’t prepare as well as i should have. Can you DM me the admissions agency you consulted on twitter? @mawureh . I would really appreciate it as i am still applying for MBA and might need some help. Thanks.

60. Mebele J.Akajisike

August 15, 2015 at 10:24 am

MLK….D only but magnificient, it can’t come to close without me telling u that your mother is a really woman, who knows d value of her children ,what it takes to bring out future generation and leaders of tomorrow. Her effort concerning you,she shall reap in her life time……please go and fulfill your dreams in life.
    I’m happy I know you,worked with u, your talent i salute sir and in did, your actiont encourages me to continue pressing on never to look back.
    May d good Lord make your journey easy in Jesus name. Proud of you man!

61. Hussein

August 17, 2015 at 10:50 am

Very inspiring! MLK, have you heard of prodigy finance? The help with MBA loans and stanford, HBS and te likes are on their list. Please check them out, just in case help doesn’t come through soon(september is almost here). The interest rate is not bad @ all and you get to begin payments 6months after graduation. Give them a shot! God bless you and have a blast @ Stanford.

62. WAKAMA

September 16, 2015 at 9:46 am

proudly exmay..
    i’m so happy for you…
    i hope u still remember me…WAKAMA..u gave me that nickname..
    u tutored me in 2004 at CKC sagamu..u also tutored me for the JETS competition…i’m really happy for you and i missed u….

63. WAKAMA

September 16, 2015 at 9:51 am

proudly exmay..
    i’m so happy for you…
    i hope u still remember me…WAKAMA..u gave me that nickname..
    u tutored me in 2004 at CKC sagamu..u also tutored me for the JETS competition…i’m really happy for you and i missed u……

64. kenny oguns

September 28, 2015 at 8:14 pm

Weldone Michael,
    Proud of you bro.
    God bless you and Aunty Tayo.
    She made me feel at home while in MJS and still watched over me while in MSS.
    Good Luck

65. Aderounmu Mary

January 6, 2018 at 10:29 pm

Am speechless. You’re story inspired me. Your mother’s sacrifice was an unending one just to see her children excel. God bless your momma and God bless the works of your hand. Your payment is already settled. Continue to soar higher