Scoop

Are Nigerians Really as Patriotic as they Say? Watch the Latest Episode of Steph Rocks TV

Adesola Ade-Unuigbe

steph - episode 4TV personality and actress Stephanie Coker presents another episode of her web series – Steph Rocks TV.

On this episode Stephanie explore how patriotic Nigerians really are.

She asks ‘We all have positive and negative things to say about our country, given the opportunity, would you rather come from a different country?’

Mavin songstress Di’ja dares Stephanie to eat chill pepper or ‘atarodo’…find out just how hot this episode gets.

Check on it!

1. olu

August 5, 2015 at 5:17 pm

Are the leaders patriotic …?
    Are some really patriotic or just lying while they line their pockets with the national cake?
    Do we really care about the common good of the nation…..or we only care about our tribe and family?
    Are the ‘returnees’ really coming back to contribute their quota…..or to see what they can grab?

Asko …….

2. toyin O

August 5, 2015 at 6:14 pm

I can only speak for myself when i say that its a combination of both. It’s not my fault my parents migrated to another country when I was under the age of 10. i’ve been patriotic about being Nigerian since I was young and I’m glad im Nigerian but this is a tough country. I came to Nigeria to see what it’s about and to experience Nigeria. I’ve tried to bring my ideas and experience to Nigeria to see how I can make a difference and impact lives.. it hasnt been working out so far..so while I pray that I eventually do that, I will definitely see how i can be successful or ‘grab’ as others call it. I just got married and I’m not ready to live without my husband for now..so i’ll be here for a while…and I definitely wont apologize for my american accent either!

3. Ade

August 5, 2015 at 6:17 pm

Are you Stephanie patriotic with your fake ass accent?

• Naija People Sha

August 5, 2015 at 7:12 pm

She was born in England, she schooled in England, Moved here just 3 years ago… How una want make she sound,, na wa oh unbelievable Nigerians

• Iris

August 5, 2015 at 8:30 pm

Is this the same Stephanie from Cool FM? If it is I’m pretty sure she’s been there since at least 2011. Also, if it’s the same one I have to agree that her accent is weird. It sounds like she’s developed a Nigerian accent but is fighting hard to keep a British one by emphasizing ‘o’s in all her vowels. She should just let it goooooo and be free.

4. ITK

August 5, 2015 at 6:28 pm

Steph u can start by being patriotic yourself.
    – drop ur brit accent and try to sound more like a Nigerian
    – incorporate the traditional language & culture into your programming
    – wear more traditional outfits
    – showcase more Nigerian historical sites, take trips around the country so ur “fellow returnees” can see the beauty that is NIGERIA
    – be patriotic and showcase locally made naija products. Sophia Webster is not Nigerian, smh. that’s a spot that u could have easily used to showcase Kene Rapu’s sandals or other naija designers.

Are “Returneees” patriotic or they just wanna come and reap from where they didn’t sow??? Steph u sounded very naija after u ate that pepper sha, but Kontinu witcha “BreeEesh accent”.

hey di’ja!!!! love u boo, authentic naija girl……yesss!!!
    btw – please why is a washing machine inside the kitchen biko??? na real wah for Nigerians sha….

• Sky Blue

August 5, 2015 at 7:09 pm

So you’re saying there’s something wrong with having a washer in the kitchen? I know quite a number of people here in the US with them in the kitchen, myself included.

• ITK

August 5, 2015 at 8:38 pm

please watch the video and see where the washing machine is placed….that kitchen is too big for the washinh machine to be placed next to the sink & cooking stove.

congrats with ur US resident self, I have been to multiple countries, US included and washing machine in the kitchen is not the norm. only smaller apartment will stuff a washing machine inside the kitchen.

it doesn’t sound right. filthy clothes in the same area as your food….eeewwwww

• Anon

August 6, 2015 at 9:41 am

ITK just to correct you – “UK building regulations don’t allow electrical sockets in bathrooms, so that rules out putting the washing machine there. In most houses that leaves the kitchen or an adjoining utility room as the most common place to find power and a water supply.” A lot of house don’t have utility rooms. Also it is common in Holland to have a washing machine in the kitchen. You are correct about its location in American homes.

• Anon

August 6, 2015 at 9:42 am

A lot of houses* Ibon!

• Word

August 5, 2015 at 8:31 pm

ITK , I will answer your question. We “returnees” are 100% authentic Nigerians than people like you. And do forget, Nigerians in the diaspora contribute to the economy because we send millions or billions of dollars back home to friends and relative, which contribute to the GDP in Nigeria! I know lots of Nigerians own or are part owners of businesses back home from capital raised through variable or fixed interest loans, sweat, and insults from oyinbos. If our efforts is not considered being patriotic then what is? Since we contribute through our hard earned dollars, euros, and pounds, we have every right to come home and grab our national cake. You all back home should stop being bitter and appreciate every Nigerians citizen home and abroad for their hard hustle. If someone wants to come back home and contribute, please appreciate them. Nobody stopped you or any Nigerian at home from going overseas to pursue your dream.

• Kehinde

August 6, 2015 at 6:58 am

Oshey ???????????? please tell them o,as if it is a crime to go and hustle somewhere else…….

• EllesarisEllendil

August 5, 2015 at 8:40 pm

I’m guessing because Kitchens have pipes, unless you’re suggesting we put it in the bathroom or worse outside. Either that or you don’t realise most of us don’t live in places with space for separate washing rooms??

BTW accents don’t determine how patriotic you are, what is a “Nigerian” accent BTW, my Grandfather’s Homegrown Igbo one??, My Mother’s British trained accent(Yes we once had actual British teachers that emphasised “Queen’s English” and right pronunciation) or my I’m tri-lingual one??? Your other points though, are on point.

• Nina O

August 6, 2015 at 1:10 am

Drop your British accent and try to sound more like a Nigerian? Lol… are you alright? Did that make sense to you?

I’ve never lived in Nigeria but when I do decide to move back, I won’t be ‘forming’ for anyone – forget it bruh. If my London accent offends you… Bye, Kachifo, Odabo, Peace out! No be by force.

• Earthfire

August 6, 2015 at 5:10 am

– I’m sorry but her accent does not make her any less Nigerian.
      – She sang the Eyo song in Yoruba and she was wearing an ankara outfit, though. Not as cultural and traditional as it gets, but I think she kept it real. It is a young, modern girl going about Lagos so it does not necessarily have to be all “back to the roots”. I think there is a good balance between modern and traditional.
      – She was at Florence H boutique, which is a Nigerian-owned store. She’s supporting a Nigerian business, sorry if that’s not patriotic enough for you.
      – Your point about “returnees” and reaping where they did not sow?? I don’t even know what this means, or how to interpret it without assuming you’re a hater. As long as the “returnees” are engaged in some kind of income-earning activity, that definitely constitutes sowing and reaping.

Now for some actual constructive criticism – I thought she could improve on the content overall, I felt it was jumpy and not very focused. My fave part was the ata rodo dare with Di’ja, it was very personable and engaging, but I didn’t like how they cut to the scene with the shoes, and then cut back. Messed with the continuity for me. Good effort though, and she’s endearing enough that I will watch it again.

P.s. you’re kidding about the washing mashine being in the kitchen, right? It is a very functional location, ESPECIALLY for Lagos. Have you been in 1004 apartments? Yep, located in the kitchen and they work well there, easy access to water pipes, etc.

• Sochi

August 6, 2015 at 6:57 am

Drop her accent? ?? So if she adopts a fake Nigerian vowel heavy accent to speak English that would make her more authentic???? For your info she speaks with a London (possibly South London) accent.

• MC

August 6, 2015 at 10:05 am

Come to England, you’ll find that 98% of the time washing machines are places in the kitchen.

• Sami

August 6, 2015 at 2:54 pm

A washing machine in the kitchen is very common in many countries….lol. U are very patriotic by never leaving your country..lmao

• Bolu

August 6, 2015 at 9:26 pm

err miss sit there and kontinue to judge in most british houses the washing machine is placed in the kitchen.

ps for those that are talking about accents when i first came to the UK i hated the accent and wanted to keep my naija one but living here for years now I’ve developed a british accent and years of watching american tv has also influenced my speech. Depending on my mood and who I,m speaking to my accent switches and changes, I have been called fresh many times among friends because i feel comfortable around them and dont care which accent comes out it doesnt bother me. so why cant we accept the way people speak if that’s the way she wants to sound accept it, how she sounds is not ludicrous and should not take away from her message.

5. EllesarisEllendil

August 5, 2015 at 8:42 pm

I stood in the rain for three hours to vote, beat that for patriotism.

Sidenote- It obviously didn’t rain for three hours and I had a rainproof jacket for the “you no find shade”? crowd.

6. Ngee

August 5, 2015 at 9:31 pm

I don’t understand why some of you are having ish with her accent. Nothing is wrong with it. That’s by d way. This episode is kinda dry shaa.
    @ ITK, where is washing machine supposed to be pls? In your bedroom? Or sitting room?. It’s at the right place dear.

• Sochi

August 6, 2015 at 6:50 am

People that criticise her accent do so out of jealousy. I was born in the UK and when I visit Nigeria speak with my British accent and many Nigerians will try and take me down, some actually laughing at how I pronounce certain words. I now take their English language skills apart assuring them that their pronunciation of many words is outright wrong. The worst criticism I reserve for those who proudly tell you that though born and raised in Nigeria, having never set foot near Murtala Muhammed Airport speak only English and know no other Nigerian language.

7. Tari

August 5, 2015 at 10:16 pm

Patriotism is an over rates piece of hot air.
    I am a citizen of the world, a believer in the community of humans. My only affinity to Nigeria is my taxes and the passport I carry around. I am as concerned of bad government in Nigeria like I am for same in any of the other countries I visit or live.
    Patriotism serves the same purpose as religious and ethnicity in sociopolitical settings; to subjugate and decive the masses. It is always the rich and ruling elite preaching patriotism to the masses. Hypocritical bunch of thieving barbarians!

8. Sky Blue

August 6, 2015 at 12:55 am

@ITK use sense, abeg. I guess the fact that most are attached to the same drain as the kitchen sink is lost on you. That as well as all EllesarisEllendil said.

9. EllesarisEllendil

August 6, 2015 at 1:48 am

Finally watched this, this is the “accent” y’all are complaining about. Hian! she sounds normal. LOL!! at “lovely city of SA”.

• Jane

August 6, 2015 at 6:03 am

I swear [email protected] S.A is a city for her mind na..Steph o ,it is a country.

10. purple rain

August 6, 2015 at 9:14 am

her accent is fine abeg. those that had no other exposer are forming “accents yeh bruv” . asin leave her!!!!