Relationships

Glory Edozien Shares Survival Tips for Unconventional Families on Her VLog – Discovery

BellaNaija.com

Glory Edozien

This week on episode 10 of Discovery, Glory Edozien shares her personal experience and a survival guide for ‘unconventional families’

Here’s an excerpt from the press release:
I find we can be a little too judgmental. We make harsh, sweeping generalizations without any understanding of the peculiarities of a situation. My parents separated when I was 6 but it was only through peoples comments that I realized its negative connotations in society.

With time and hindsight, I see the great lengths my parents went to shield me. In recent times I have read articles, comments and listened to people make comments about children from ‘broken homes’- (a term I personally find a tad bit distasteful). Comments that personally demonstrate a deep lack of knowledge of that particular dynamic and the strength of purpose its takes for parents to raise level headed kids.

In today’s vlog, I share my personal experience. I share what I saw my parents do to protect me. I also give advice to children and young adults who are currently going through similar.

Watch the video here:

1. Maguime

August 24, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Really interesting…..i like to read various opinions on this…..i remember a pastor telling me to “be carefull, because my mother never got married (she had a traditional wedding when she was young but realized after , that she was not meant for marriagé and that she only wanted kids)…so the pastor told me that because of that i may never get married…..i was like euh…..i will, when the time comes….IJN ……

• God bless you

August 25, 2015 at 4:18 am

Thank you for rejecting such nonsense talk. You will marry and marry well. Your parents are not you. Stay away from negative people truly

2. God bless you

August 25, 2015 at 4:15 am

God bless you my dearest! I boldly tell people l am not from a broken home but my parents separated. I grew up finding out people were the ones who had issues with it, not me. If I got angry they would tell me oh its because your parents are not together to raise you. Guess what, today! My siblings and I are the ones with successful marriages, I am talking in terms of raising children in a healthy environment, where there is true love between parents. Most of them are either divorced and still trying to navigate their lives. I am not laughing at them, however we pass judgements without realizing their impacts on others. Truly enjoyed this Glory

3. God bless you

August 25, 2015 at 4:16 am

Also good advice Glory

4. God bless you

August 25, 2015 at 4:44 am

I will comment one million times as this hits home! Great advice and l remember a friend saying how children from “broken” homes have no idea how marriages work. World people be careful with words

5. Unbrokenhome

August 25, 2015 at 6:06 am

Well said. Coming from a seperate home I tell you this. Parents, the worst thing you can do to your child is talk bad about ur ex. No matter what they do to you still let them have a relationship with their dad. You married this person it’s ur issue , u both messed or one messed up, but leave the child out of it. please let them have a relationship like she said except demonic issues. All that “I can do bad all by myself ” is rubbish. A child needs both parents even though not together. Swallow your pride , ego etc. It is not him you are “showing”, it is your children .

6. Neverland

August 25, 2015 at 7:30 am

I’m not from a broken home and its unlikely I’ll ever be but if I were I will totally heed Glory’s advice.

7. Tee

August 25, 2015 at 8:54 am

I had asked my “husband’ why he didn’t marry two of his ex’s and he opened his mouth to say “they were from broken homes”. I was angry at the stereotype. I took time to school him about people from the so called broken homes.

I told him that I had seen worse products (wife baterers, armed robbers, prostitutes etc) from seemingly ‘unbroken homes’ and that no one deserves to be put down or judged based on the marital status of their parents .

I went on and on to the point where he wondered whether I was suggesting he broke our engagement and went for either of them instead.

Fast-forward years later and “we” are separated!!!!! As if I knew when I was defending those ladies… Sometimes I wonder what he thinks of our kids now…. I won’t remind him just yet, there will be a place and time.

• leftbrained

August 25, 2015 at 10:07 am

That reminds me that we judge people and put them in their own shoes especially when you dont understand the situations or reasons things happens. I mean it wasnt the fault of the child that csme about of the failure of parents who couldnt handle themselves enough to stay together

Never judge cos you dnt know where you will find yourself tmao.

Im so sorry for the separation tho,

• TT

August 25, 2015 at 3:25 pm

I love that you took the time to school him. People dont sit and analyse what they say, but just follow a general lead of the masses. Many kids grow up to be angry, bitter, cold, suffer from low self esteem or lack trust in others simply because they saw their parents in an explosive relationship. Divorce is not the first nor easiest option. In some cases for the sake of the kids and one’s sanity, it is the only option.

8. Suwa

August 25, 2015 at 3:46 pm

Thank you glory for your advice.

9. Suwa

August 25, 2015 at 3:47 pm

Glory

10. Ngozi

August 27, 2015 at 12:01 am

I felt bad when my dad married another wife and cried sometimes but when I grew older I realized it was not my fault and chose to live my life. There is no point shouldering responsibilities that the Lord did not accord me. It is well.. I can only pray for a miracle but guess what God has helped me so much in marriage. I love both mum and dad and wish they will get back together. The difference is the fact that I don’t cry anymore.

11. Lou

August 28, 2015 at 5:02 pm

I can’t remember the last time I heard the term ” broken home”. Single parent household is what I’m used to hearing if parents remain unmarried and ” blended homes” if the parents remarry. Kids from single parent house holds in my secondary school were very cool, double provisions etc, I actually envied them 🙂