News

Pres. Buhari Registers for National Identity Card

NAN

PIC.6. PRESIDENT MUHAMMADU BUHARI BEING CAPTURED FOR THE NATIONAL  IDENTITY MANAGEMENT COMMISSION'S (NIMC) IDENTITY CARD AT THE PRESIDENTIAL  VILLA IN ABUJA ON TUESDAY (25/8/15) WITH HIM IS THE DIRECTOR-GENERAL OF  NIMC, MR CHRIS ONYEMENEM. 6164/25/8/2015/ICE/CH/NAN

Fielding questions from State House correspondents after his registration inside the Presidential Villa, Buhari said the exercise would confirm the country’s population, especially of those aged 18 years and above.

“I think this exercise is very important as it will confirm our population and those, who are entitled to vote – that is those, who are 18 years and above. It will complement the exercise of the Permanent Voters Card.

So, for those who want their votes to count from whichever party or constituency, they should ensure that they and their families are properly captured like I have been captured.”

In his remarks, the Director General of NIMC, Chris Onyemenam, said that the exercise was a continuous one.

He said that additional enrolment centres would be established in all Local Government Areas of the federation.

According to him, the commission is also planning to open such centres in hospitals, primary schools, and universities.

He said:

“So, every enrolment centre that we have established remains open forever; they are like branches of banks. We are taking deliberate steps to ensure that enrolment centres are opened in each local government.

In collaboration with MDAs, we are now extending it to universities. It will also be extended to primary schools and hospitals.

With the cooperation we expect from INEC – we are meeting INEC today – it will be extended even further.”

Onyemenam further state that the commission had so far captured the data of nearly seven million Nigerians.

“The close to seven million that we have in our data base is the product of the pilot scheme that we embarked upon to demonstrate the value of the scheme,“ he said.

The DG commended Buhari over his recent directive that biometrics data bases in government agencies be expeditiously harmonised.

1. Tosin

August 26, 2015 at 2:30 pm

lol.
    sorry.
    in other news, i just heard of Lagos registration and did “te’ka” (pless hand) for that one. I have also had fingerprints captured for “bank verification number”, for the voter’s card, and one time a person at my job got inspired and sent round papers for us all to “pless our hands” against ghost workers. i am angry about all this nonsense.

2. som

August 26, 2015 at 2:42 pm

Sai Buhari. I see you sir. For the excess light and frozen cans of malt in my fridge not freezer, I am grateful..

• Ijebujesha

August 26, 2015 at 6:04 pm

Are you that dumb to think Buhari had any hand in the excess light even without having constituted a cabinet? Or are you just one of those propaganda agents unleashed to fool the vast army of products of ‘education by agberu-gbeso’ who have all the degrees in this world yet remains very gullible?

• som

August 27, 2015 at 7:50 am

awwwww. Such a pity. Please go and take your pills. You are beginning to foam in the mouth.

3. hmmmm

August 26, 2015 at 2:53 pm

So Buhari entered that NIMC office and no one was brave enough to slip him a note about what is really happening in there? The equipments not working, the working environment and the mismanagement of funds? Is it fear or this oga has really gotten them? This place and NNPC where the ogas were sacked, no difference

4. Ibinabo

August 26, 2015 at 3:37 pm

Do we have to re-register?… ‘cus, I did mine in Nov. 2013 and was given a temporary slip but the card hasn’t been available.

5. Tiki

August 26, 2015 at 5:27 pm

loool. A country of close to 200m people only has SEVEN million people registered?

Goodness gracious. Nigeria really needs to do better.

6. Imoteda

August 26, 2015 at 9:45 pm

The last of 4 Chams City buildings closed down two weeks ago. 9.2billion dollars down the drain because of one man Chris Onyemenam. People are losing their minds over fuel subsidy and don’t realize that individuals are stealing in more blatant and disrespectful ways. Chamscity in Abuja had the capability to provide over a million cards in a single day. Chris Onyemenam has produced 245,000 cards in nine years and over 23 billion naira spent. That Buhari sat beside this man and did not immediately have him arrested for fraud and embezzlement is upsetting to me

7. WinneR

August 26, 2015 at 11:17 pm

@ibinabo,dont re-enrol.patiently wait for ur general multipurpose smart card,u will b notified via sms.However there is a portal where u can check the status,have ur nin slip handy wen checking.https://touch.nimc.gov.ng.

• Ibinabo

August 27, 2015 at 8:52 am

Okay. Thanks.

8. WinneR

August 26, 2015 at 11:21 pm

https//touch.nimc.gov.ng/cs

9. Mummybubu

August 31, 2015 at 10:50 pm

Is this a new one or the one that has been ongoing since. I did mine in Jan 2013 and I have my e-card

10. Emecheta Blessing Onyinyechi

October 12, 2015 at 1:54 pm

I did my own August 2013 I haven’t gotten it till now.

11. aliyu.muhammad.sharif

February 13, 2016 at 9:38 pm

what I nd is 2 CMF u ppl that I ngr is not of 2 at

12. Kehinde Ayodele

January 31, 2018 at 11:12 am

Please I proceed my national ID since August 2013, up till now I can get the card, can you please let me know what happened to the card number 63515810990, please I need your reply thanks