Relationships

The Internet Chimes in on Dad’s Viral Video supporting His 4 Year Old Son Choosing a Doll

BellaNaija.com

Father & Son - Facebook
14 million views and counting…

In the age of sexual and gender fluidity, more and more individuals are becoming open minded about choices by various people in their lives and community.

A video a California dad Mikki Willis shared on his Facebook account has gone viral.

In the video, Willis shares that his 4-year-old son, Azai got two of the same toys for his birthday, so they went to the toy store, to exchange it for another.

To his surprise, Azai chose a doll.

But Willis couldn’t be more proud of his son, saying, “Choose what you’re into. Choose your sexuality. Choose whatever. You have my promise right now, both of you, as we sit in this car, in the hot car, in this parking lot, you have my promise forever to love you and accept you no matter what life you choose.”

Since the video was posted on Friday, it has been viewed more than 14 million times, with thousands of responses.

A lot of people are stating it is quite early to assume the child’s sexuality, while others claim that being a parent means Willis should guide his son forcefully and refuse buying the doll.

Watch the video.

1. chi-e-z

August 25, 2015 at 6:00 pm

Really a 4 year should choose what he’s into really why not just tell a 1 month old to chew candy with parents like that why doesn’t the child just raise himself.Ridiculous it’s like me going to the bank and the teller telling me to cash any amount I want. That child is going to be unruly and uncut human being just watch…Parents are so stupid nowadays I won’t even get a doll for my daughter/s if I have any I never got one and thank goodness sticks, Lego blocks, Ipads even buildable trucks something that facilitates Math,Science,Technology, Creativity not a stupid gimmick statement to the world on how you do not gender appropriate toys for your children so you get a stupid doll for your son and share it with the world like it matters gtfoh …attention much dad… ok I’ve finished my rant just hate seeing children abused and the worst kind of abuse I see nowadays is selfish parents refuting their responsibilities as parents to facilitate a child’s mental capacity in the hoopla of stopping to take a selfie 4 social media with your children’s faces plastered er’where RIDICULOUS…

August 25, 2015 at 6:59 pm

Whatever point you made got lost in this eyesore of a comment. Is it the wrong and excessive use of ellipses, or the lack of commas and periods? Did you also forget that you need a space between a period and the next sentence?

Except the plan is to give the readers crossed eyes, there is simply no reason to write like this.

• Elohor Omote

August 25, 2015 at 7:46 pm

Lol……I scrolled over at the first six lines.

• Anonymous

August 25, 2015 at 7:47 pm

Cancel reply, Oya park well!! I understood what she is trying to communicate. All these English-holier-than-thous on here. Msheeeew.

• TAM

August 26, 2015 at 10:50 am

THANK YOU DARLING FOR AN AN AMAZING RESPONSE, YOU MUST HAVE HAD A VERY RIGID CHILDHOOD CHI-E-Z OR SHOULD I SAY CHEESY…..ROLLEYES

• Elohor Omote

August 25, 2015 at 7:47 pm

I agree tho

2. bruno

August 25, 2015 at 6:16 pm

yes yes yes
    pls stop forcing ur children to fit the description of what a boy should like (sports, power rangers action figures, cars etc) and what a girl should like (barbie dolls, the colour pink, baking cakes and arranging flowers etc)
    a boy is suppose to be masculine and behave a certain way and walk and talk a certain way and vice versa for a girl. that is just so wrong. those are gender roles created by society
    as a boy u must like champions league and hip hop music and cars
    as a girl u must like Beyonce and shoes and make up and flowery dresses and pink. bullshit

my kids will pick the clothes and toys and activities they want. I will never impose gender roles on my children. imposing gender roles on ur kids is bad parenting. u are a bad parent if u force ur child to behave a certain way.

I remember in secondary school people made fun of me cause I loved Destiny’s child (back then destiny child were the hottest thing since slice bread, I knew all their songs). they usually asked me, why do u like “girl songs”. and I asked myself what is “girl songs” I love good music. Destiny’s child made good music and I loved them. female musicians make better songs than male musicians, that’s a fact. I don’t like “boy songs” a.k.a rap music except kanye west or jay z.

people need to start being themselves. if u are a boy u can like pink and flowers and if u are a girl u can like soccer and rap music etc nobody should give a shit.

• Lol

August 26, 2015 at 12:07 am

Clearly that worked well for you… Considering how you eventually turned out. Maybe if your parents did a better job with raising you, you won’t be a lost cause.
      Bella if you like don’t post this.

• bruno fierce

August 26, 2015 at 6:12 am

for your mind now u have insulted bruno’s parents. LOL look at u feeling all bad ass as if u know how to insult somebody. LOOL. smh

bellanaija if someone like this c*nt insults me and I fire back pls do not withhold my comment. cause many of these people think they know how to insult. okay oh

• Lol

August 26, 2015 at 12:59 pm

Huge yawn. Writing paragraphs to explain how the “insult” didn’t pain you. #hurtgoals lmao. Your mother is a c*unt not me, idiot

3. chigirl

August 25, 2015 at 6:21 pm

People will do anything to gain the applause of the world. I know It is socially & politically correct to affirm support for your kids regardless of how they turn out but deep down, do you really feel that way daddy?… Dont sacrifice the destiny of your children for a cheap shot at fame

• eyong

August 25, 2015 at 6:31 pm

But what does the child playing with a doll have to do with anything? How does that determine his sexuality or his future? If you’re a guy who grew up with sisters, chances are you’ve had make up put on you on several occasions, or your hair braided. That doesn’t mean you all of a sudden become a feminine or even gay. Now it’s that boy babies can’t wear bright colors like Pink and Yellow, and boys only have to wear blue? Like, how does that play ANY part in the mental or physical growth of that infant? Let children be children. That’s the only time in this world that you can ever really be carefree and now society is trying to rob us of that little pleasure? Oh please!

• natu

August 25, 2015 at 7:25 pm

What is feminine? Stop listening to doctrines of patriarchy.

• Tosin

August 25, 2015 at 7:26 pm

i photographed my baby brother in oversized heels, showcasing his nice legs. he’s probably forgotten now tho 🙂

• MEE

August 25, 2015 at 9:01 pm

I agree with eyong. The boy only wanted a doll, shikena. The father added his jara of embracing whichever sexuality the boy will later have. The boy sef no talk am, he’s still too young to grasp that topic. I am a girl and I have always loved and still love playing video games, which is considered a boyish thing. I am not pro pink or flowers. And yes I can play rough play. But there is no way that is going to change me into a guy or make me start liking girls sexually. Not with all the hot guys around 😀

4. awonoyiboyinsha......smh

August 25, 2015 at 6:36 pm

RUBBISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A 4 year old? oh i pity those boys! Hope you wont give them curfew when grow older they are since they can choose their lives, hope you wont stop them from using drugs in your house since they can choose their lives, Hope you wont mind if they say they don’t want to go to school since they can choose their lives, hope you wont kick against them joining gangs since they can choose their lives. BANTS!!!!! Raise your child the ideal way you want them to turn out and if they deviate from it, fine you know you tried. No parent ever stopped loving their child regardless of what they turned out to be

5. Tosin

August 25, 2015 at 7:24 pm

not watching but the photo is super cute.
    what is there to get pissed about, biko?

• chichi

August 25, 2015 at 10:12 pm

hmm..Tosin dear, the photo is indeed harmless. Absolutely nothing wrong with it but you wont get what this is really about till you watch the video. My brothers wore heels, played with lipsticks and played with our dolls as well. They did it all and they have no issues with their identity or sexuality. That is what kids do. Kids are curious and wanna play with everything. It is your duty as parents to protect them. Is there anything wrong with your little son playing with a doll or with your daughter playing with a truck? Absolutely not. I really dislike when parents read meaning into every silly thing.
      This guy clearly bought this doll to prove a point. A very stupid one at that. You bought a doll for your son. BIG DEAL! Y’all arent home yet. You havent watched how your son interacts /plays with this doll and you are already yarning dust about sexuality. The poor kid wasnt even sure of what his dad was talking about and was screaming “yeeaaaaahhhhh”,like “dad it haff do”. Just do your job as a parent. Instill values in your children and stop seeking attention.

• Mohammad

August 26, 2015 at 1:10 am

This father obviously knows his son more than we all do. Whether we like it or not, there can be lots to indicate the sexuality of people when they are still very young.

In any case, he never actually said that his son was gay, but was only assuring them of his unchanging love irrespective of the lives they choose. That he will continue to support them despite all is a lot more godlike than you religious nut jobs ever allow. And I don’t even believe in god. Please watch and learn!

6. Elohor Omote

August 25, 2015 at 7:52 pm

I seriously agree with the first comment for the first 12 lines maybe. Maybe the dad should just go hang himself knowing that the child knows what he is doing at that age and can take care of himself. Seriously?! I heard this somewhere, and I know its true. Liberty is good, but there is never complete liberty. Even the devil works with rules.

7. Timmy Tim

August 25, 2015 at 9:20 pm

I once had a friend (guy) who use to play with dolls when we were younger, it felt wield then and yes this was in Nigeria. He grew out of it later on in life. infact, I remembered he use to carry puppet dolls around then till he was 10 or 12 yrs old. If it was this era I guess he would have been labeled gay or something. Now he s married irony of life!

8. bonnie gee

August 25, 2015 at 9:22 pm

Buh sincerely y must kids b forced….. y do gurls av 2 b attached 2 pink,flowers,shoes among odas n bois… soccer,soldiers, guns etc… Hmmmmm d kids shud b allowed 2 njy dis tym y t last, b4 facin decision mkin, relationshp,life,etc.

9. Idomagirl

August 25, 2015 at 10:11 pm

I’m seriously struggling to see what all the fuss is about. 4 year old boy picks up a doll, so?

Abeg there are more important things to stress over.

• Iris

August 26, 2015 at 3:17 am

I think it was the father who made it a big deal and not everyone else. It is too early for a discussion about sexuality so I don’t see why he mentioned it. When I was a child I hated those Aunty Give Me Cake dresses with that scratchy organza material, frilly socks, and shiny black patent leather shoes. I think I preferred shorts and at some point I wished I was a boy. I grew up, I got over it, and now I like stereotypical feminine things, but I easily may not have. On the flip side I may have decided I wanted to be a man and undergone a sex change, but at least I had the chance to grow into myself before my parents assumed that because I didn’t like nail polish and dresses I was a potential transgender (whip out the olive oil, rosary, incense, and priest).
      I won’t be surprised if this boy goes home and eats the head off this doll sef. That’s what my brothers did to mine.

• Dr. N

August 26, 2015 at 8:47 am

My exact thot! He probably plans to go home and smash the thing like he does his sister’s dolls. The guy got millions of views. Do I see a trend? He can market anything a la skubii style

10. Ndubuisi

August 25, 2015 at 11:10 pm

It does mean the child is gay or straight is just that his father is willing and open to let his child choose what he want and that’s a good thing.

11. The Buttery Hotness

August 25, 2015 at 11:55 pm

Ike gwuru.

I think this onku just went from 0 to 100 sha. You bought a doll for your son, whoop dee doo. Plenty of young men his age play with dolls. This is how they plant seeds into their kids’ heads, talmbout transgender at 2 and sexuality at 4, when all your child wants to be is a child.

12. Onegyal

August 26, 2015 at 12:28 am

All this grammar everybody is saying, me I don’t understand. The boy saw a colourful doll, probably one he had never seen and then decides to pick it. How sexuality con enter the matter now……. Ko ye mi oh

13. Caligula

August 26, 2015 at 3:46 am

It’s so not a big deal…. My little neph loves playing with dolls and it’s like as long as he’s happy! ? I’m a grown ass woman now but I’ve always been a tomboy, always loved video games, hate makeup, I wear loose clothing sometimes and at the same time I mix in some sexy bits. I also keep my hair short, my folks thought maybe I was a lesbian before I started dating haha.. (I wanted a serious relationship and most of the guys around me then just wanted sex haha) Although I’m straight, most of my friends are gay and most people I surround myself with supports the LGBT community. That being said, having an affinity for things of the opposite sex doesn’t necessarily make you gay.

14. sowhat?

August 26, 2015 at 10:13 am

What has a four year old boy picking a doll got to do with sexuality. I have seen boys playing with dolls, my brother chooses to play with our dolls when we were much younger and he remained a guy and is even now married to a woman. These people are just too twisted!

15. Jhennique

August 26, 2015 at 10:23 am

The father is overflogging issues sef. He wanted a doll, he gets a doll! Shikena! He is not the first boy to like a doll. Stop giving the situation more meaning than it has. Next abeg!

16. mee

August 26, 2015 at 11:38 am

sigh!! satan is working overtime yo!!