Music

Willow Smith Describes her Vision of a Perfect World as she Covers i-D Magazine’s Pre-Fall 2015 Issue

Adesola Ade-Unuigbe

the-coming-of-age-issue-body-image-1438703927Willow Smith lands a double cover for the Pre-Fall 2015 issue of i-D magazine as she shares her vision for a perfect world while also talking about her free-thinking parents and more.

the-coming-of-age-issue-body-image-1438620674

For the magazine’s issue tagged the ‘Coming of Age’ issue, 14-year-old Willow Smith is photographed by Tyrone Lebon and styled by Julia Sarr-Jamois is sporty chic looks.

untitled-article-1438616682-body-image-1438617210 willow-smith-fluorescent-adolescent-body-image-1438617589

Read excerpts from her interview below.

On the perfect world: “The whole world would be one big tribe, one big commune. It wouldn’t be split up and divided, we wouldn’t be fighting nearly as much, we wouldn’t be using unnecessary sources of power. We’d be using free energy, we’d be eating from the trees, we’d be drinking from the natural stream. There wouldn’t be traffic, and diapers and pollution in our rivers. It would all just be transcending into another dimension.”

On being perceived as ‘different’: “I carve my own path the way I do is because of the way I was raised. My parents always said, ‘If you don’t carve your own path, someone’s going to carve it for you.’ And that’s not fun.'”

On her free-thinking parents: “If it wasn’t for my parents I wouldn’t even be on this earth. If it wasn’t for my parents, I wouldn’t have learnt that becoming still and traveling within is the only thing that really matters.”

On her generation: “I feel that right now what our generation needs is to do the art that’s in our hearts. Do it to the fullest and try to help other people find out that thing that makes them happy. The more people that are doing what’s in their hearts, the more that heart vibration is going to start spreading around the world, and the more people will start thinking, “Wow, maybe McDonalds isn’t what I should be eating, maybe the way they’re teaching me in school is depressing me, maybe I should be climbing trees and meditating more than I should be listening to my teachers telling me that everything I’m doing is wrong.” So it’s taking those little steps towards awareness.”

Read more of the interview and see more photos here.

Photo Credit: i-D Magazine

1. Ashley

August 11, 2015 at 2:19 pm

The first pic, no the third pic. ah no she’s cute. I knew somewhere in there she must mention energy. deep

• Kaeto

August 11, 2015 at 3:00 pm

Honestly we need order in life and laws are made to protect us, phylisophy is the science that allows us to think without limitation. Personally I feel we need to stop discriminating against people in the name of anything that is not logical. Social construction is important because it is easy to control humans. All of this division started with wars, and honestly people bloods are on it, is not changing unless you are in power.

• arrived

August 12, 2015 at 2:48 am

Whats that bump on her face?

2. bruno

August 11, 2015 at 2:26 pm

she sounds so intelligent and she’s only 14.

for we humans to have a perfect world, we have to eliminate that thing called religion. that thing has to go. religion is the source of all evil. religion creates division in the society.

we also have to get rid of that thing called race. race is a social construct created to discriminate and divide people.

we also have to get rid of gender roles. a man must behave a certain way and a woman must behave a certain way. a man must be macho and rugged while a woman must be feminine and soft and must like the colour pink. we need to eliminate this kind of thinking.

all these things are all social contructs, designed to separate people and to oppress people. we need to get rid of them particularly religion.

• Kaeto

August 11, 2015 at 2:51 pm

I completely agree with you.

• Chance

August 14, 2015 at 12:11 am

A perfect world doesn’t exist.

First, do you really think eradicating religion will stop people from doing bad things? Of course not. People do these things of their OWN free will. If a Christian politician is corrupt, for example, him being a Christian doesn’t have anything to do with him being corrupt. I get your point that religion creates division in society but even if religion didn’t exist, society will always find a way to divide itself.

Second, race isn’t discrimination. Discrimination is defined by making an unjust or prejudicial distinction in treatment of being different. Race is sort of how we classify people based on our ethnics, culture, location and history. It’s the same as classifying animals according to their breed. You can’t just refer to a cat as a dog, or a dog as an elephant. Again, if race didn’t exist, would that stop the teasing? The bullying? The discrimination? I don’t think so.

Social construct is not always a bad thing.

Instead of trying to promote that we get rid of these things, why not promote acceptance? That way, people can be who they are, comfortably in their own skin, whether they be religious, atheists, light-skinned or dark-skinned.

3. Yeyeh Girl

August 11, 2015 at 2:35 pm

I’m beginning to panic for this kid. “Looking for broomstick to get rid of this meat for my teeth before I talk to my teacher.” I have respect for all my teachers.

• Tunmi

August 11, 2015 at 3:24 pm

But she is fine. Some teachers do encourage you to think beyond what you are taught. And some teachers create a box for you to remain. I’m lucky to have had teachers who encouraged me to improve myself both in Naija and the US. But too often in Nigeria, adults don’t listen to take in a child’s input. They don’t bother to talk to the children or value their words, so we end up having mindless robota lacking creativity. Not all but far too much. And it’s because they are afraid of taking a risk. But life is about risks, yes calculated risks, but risks nonetheless.

4. Felinda

August 11, 2015 at 2:46 pm

Wierdest Hollywood Kids Ever
    Scientology Upbringing coupled with bonifed illuminati parents will fuck you up for good just like this. They are so wierd beyond description.

Sheree is so lucky raising Trey and taking him away from this wierdness. Ya kid turned out better

5. bruno

August 11, 2015 at 2:51 pm

” maybe the way they’re teaching me in school is
    depressing me,”

she is so right. education and school depresses children thats why kids act out in very violent manners. the education system needs to be revamped. we need to stop using scores or points or grades to determine the intelligence of a child.

most of what they thought us in school, we didn’t need them. most of them were and are very unnecessary. school overwhelms many children, that’s why they act out.

this girl is smart. we need to start understanding the real reason for being alive.

6. Chuks Adamu Tobi

August 11, 2015 at 3:30 pm

*yawn* …..Next!

7. ENNY**

August 11, 2015 at 5:21 pm

Oh my goodness! I’m speechless. She’s so different, so weird, and I love it. She’s a breath of fresh air in this robotic generation. There’s sth about her I can’t put a finger on & that’s what magnetic about her.
    Lovely.

8. Made

August 11, 2015 at 7:02 pm

First of all, there’s nothing and neither will there be anything such thing like a perfect world. while we’re still on this terrestial ball..you have to get to heaven first!!

Secondly, this child is just weird..

“”The more people that are doing what’s in their hearts, the more that heart vibration is going to start spreading around the world, and the more people will start thinking..””..

Err…nope! The heart of man is innately, naturally and desperately wicked so no vibrations please.

• eyong

August 12, 2015 at 2:47 am

The heart of man is many things, wicked is just one of them. Man is good, brave, lazy, hardworking.. infact, many is an embodiment of all of natures contradictions. Just because a 14 year old girl can see that and your bible thumbing self can’t, does not make her weird.