Scoop

CNN Covers a “Colorful, Flamboyant” Nigerian Wedding on ‘Inside Africa’! WATCH

BellaNaija.com

Nigerian Wedding on CNN-BellaNaija Weddings 2015.Nigerian Bride and groom on CNNInside Africa, a CNN lifestyle show, featured a Nigerian wedding in Houston, Texas this past weekend.

From the Yoruba traditional engagement, to the white wedding, the bride and groom, Tolani and IBK, talk about how they met, not ‘watering down’ their traditions even though they got married abroad and more!

If this couple looks familiar, here’s why – we featured this fun pair’s pre-wedding shoot and music video (yes, you read that right, complete with choreography) to Woju by Kiss Daniel. Click here for the full feature.

Top Nigerian vendors Segun Gele who tied the bride’s gele (she did her makeup), and Chioma of Dure Events, who planned the wedding, make an appearance.

Chioma Nwogu-Johnson of Dure Events

Chioma Nwogu-Johnson of Dure Events

Segun Gele

Segun Gele

WATCH the 3 segments below!

See more Inside Africa on their social media!
facebook.com/cnninsideafrica
instagram.com/cnnafrica/

1. ATL's finest

September 29, 2015 at 6:45 pm

Chai GOd bless my Mother land, God bless Nigeria, God bless the couple.. Oga Segun gele no cheap anymore. And U know what they said GO BIG or GO HOME becuz EVERYTHING is BIGGER in TX:) I LOVE every bit of it.. Dear God listen thru my heart for U know how I feel about my Yoruba Brothers, my Own James Lebron, My chocolate candy man.. Abeg Send them down. U said ask and I shall be given.. Yes, I can have it all : a loving man, a lovely family, and still be a career woman.. Oru Ku Jesu Amiii ooo..
    Dear father -inlaw U are d first I have seen that didn’t take bride price & what u did with it was amazing!!! Well we all know U can’t try that with my lovely ibos & Mazi Oke? say who die..

• ATL's finest

September 29, 2015 at 6:46 pm

Oh kudos to both parents & d couples the dancing level was too much!!! When I see Yoruba dudes laying flat while they are been prayed for, it gets me chills & I don’t know why #BESTPART#

• Nwakeaku

September 30, 2015 at 8:31 am

Pls say what you know, my father did not collect any bride same with my three other co-wives and yes we all are Igbo.

• Osa

September 29, 2015 at 9:23 pm

segun gele, hope you have gotten off your non -existent high horse? on top wetin self? tying of gele abi? continue sebi u don arrive now?

• mrs chidukane

September 29, 2015 at 10:41 pm

@ATL’s finest, I do know lots of Igbo father’s that don’t take bride price. My sister in law’s Father for one and so many others. Just celebrate your people and don’t make sweeping statements like that abeg.

• ATL's finest

September 30, 2015 at 3:49 am

@ Mrs Chidukane well good for U. It’s not a sweeping statement I just haven’t met or seen NONE. Thanks for d info and beside it’s rare amongst y’all

• DD

September 30, 2015 at 3:09 pm

Thank you jare. She only revealed her ignorance with that highly unnecessary comment.

• nwanyi na aga aga

September 30, 2015 at 3:54 pm

Atl’s finest so how many Igbo bride prices have you met or sat at as the ceremony was going on? I know for a fact that Igbo women do not sit in on bride price taking talk more of a yoruba woman, so how did you come to the factual knowledge that you so generously shared? Or are you talking about the movies you watched on African Magic?

• Tolani (the bride)

September 30, 2015 at 4:56 am

THANKKS!!

• Seri

September 30, 2015 at 3:26 pm

Congrats Tolani and IBK, I follow her youtube channel. They turnt up, and their dancing moves is no joke. Not feeling the heavy makeup and hairstyle.

• odi

October 2, 2015 at 9:04 am

ATL’s finest… you are a typical yoruba pesin that doesn’t know anything outside of yoruba…

Every thing that is not yoruba or aboki is omo ibo to una…smh

2. Ade

September 29, 2015 at 6:49 pm

So so beautiful, to God be ALL the Glory! May God bless and keep your family safe in Jesus Mighty Name-amen.

3. Bola

September 29, 2015 at 6:59 pm

Yoruba weddings rock! So vibrant and colorful

4. Oyinkansola

September 29, 2015 at 7:08 pm

I love love love this couple. Wow!!!!! I wish I could turn back the hands of time and then have this much fun at my own wedding.

5. tai omo yoruba nimi

September 29, 2015 at 7:24 pm

my days! this wedding got me crying like 3 or 4 times..soooo emosh!! that bride has a silent beauty which i love and the groom is fine too..i don’t know them but i like them. May God bless their union but omo! that reception costs 150,000 dollars!!! choi! baba God bless me yafunyafun,i must not wallow and want

• ATL's finest

September 29, 2015 at 8:30 pm

Hahhaa when last did I hear d word *Yafunyafun* well drink to that & AMEN

• are we done yet?

September 29, 2015 at 9:01 pm

reception cost how much??? gerrarahia….I have seen pics and vids of insta weddings in texas and this wedding cant compare. not even close. Chioma Dure’s wedding has planned bigger & lavish weddings. I follow her instagram

Bride did her make up right…no wonder, I wasn’t impressed. it looked like a Segun Gele make-up. LOL!!!! too oily

this is not the typical USA naija owambe Ovation mag standard hashtagging instagram everywhere type of wedding, cos the crowd seems very small and I wasn’t too wowed. more American than Nigerian if you ask me.

happy married life but it seems like u really wanted to oppress folks. Go BIG or GO HOME they say, having CNN Africa voices at ur wedding is an invitation for me and others to criticize ur wedding. no vex…lol!! wish you had just done a BN wedding feature and select how u want ur story to be told..

dont call me a hater but *cough cough*, she is web famous, so she knows how to take criticism.

• Mama

September 29, 2015 at 9:46 pm

Na wah Ooooooo! @ are we done yet
      May God give you peace!!! All the weddings you listed which one of them did CNN feature???? Let me help you NONE!!! Be happy for people. They are proud of their culture and that is what the message was about… Be happy for them of just shut up!

• thfa

September 29, 2015 at 9:56 pm

But you are a hater though

• lotusflower

September 29, 2015 at 9:59 pm

Are you Ok? It’s obvious that you know her personally and have a huge chip on your shoulder.

Anyway, their wedding looked awesome, and the bride is very beautiful!

• Ivyprincess

September 29, 2015 at 11:14 pm

Always that one Bad bella person sha, ah huh wetin be your own sef. Not everyone is into big weddings. And their wedding was spectacular! The venue, the makeup everything was ON FLEEK. Stop trying to downplay it, and “Gerrarahia” mehn.

• ATL's finest

September 29, 2015 at 11:33 pm

Really? All of that came out from U???? Whaooo I wonder what this world is turning into smh. Like my Best is always say be happy for people but apparently that don’t apply to everyone living..it is well with U! @ Are we done yet.

• damocles

September 29, 2015 at 11:55 pm

What a hate filled, bottom feeding comment that is the product of the putrid, cesspool that you are pleased to call a heart? People like you are what’s wrong with this world. Using the anonymity of the Internet to spew rubbish to people when you won’t dare say it to theirface. Scum.

• Amh

September 30, 2015 at 12:16 am

You are really bitter. It shows in your comment. Why not post your cnn covered wedding. The wedding planner did a fantastic job. Beautiful bride handsome groom and lovely guest.

• smackdown

September 30, 2015 at 12:26 am

Just be happy for others, it costs you nothing. Bad belle will get you nowhere

• Breezy

September 30, 2015 at 1:05 am

First, Chioma said the events can go UPWARDS of 150k, so that means that 150k is on the upper end of the budgets she usually deals with. I don’t think she insinuated that this wedding cost 150k. I recently went to a wedding done by Dure events, and it was beautiful. She does a good job.

Second, you sound like a very bitter hater all around. Were you not invited to the wedding? Pele….

• Tolani (the bride)

September 30, 2015 at 4:52 am

WOWWWWWWWW lmaoooo God bless you dear, you will be alright IJN!

• Nneka

September 30, 2015 at 5:12 am

@Mama- CNN actually reached out to another couple and another planner first to feature their wedding but they said no because they did not want that type of attention. So don’t diss others who did not have a “CNN covered wedding” because some chose not to.

• yinkus

September 30, 2015 at 5:36 am

I mean this ‘are we done yet?’ is being real though, this wedding definitely did not cost 150k, come on, the babe did her make-up her self :s ! I just wish the cnn segment was on a bigger nigerian wedding kinda feel like this doesn’t really represent what we are capable of.
      Oh well they seem really in love and that’s all that matters.

• Me

September 30, 2015 at 6:51 am

Jealousy! Because dem no show your own on cnn shebi ?

• DD

September 30, 2015 at 10:27 am

Wow. Such bitterness and nastiness in your comment. Says so much about you. Terrible.

6. ty

September 29, 2015 at 7:41 pm

awww!!!! he cried……

7. Cher

September 29, 2015 at 8:13 pm

Omgggg this made me cry . This was so beautiful . I love being Nigerian . So glad our culture was not lost in colonialism . We are part of a unique set group . This was so beautiful . The dancing and all they were so vibrant and full of life . Happy Married Life to the beautiful couple .

8. Fabulous B

September 29, 2015 at 8:24 pm

Videos could not be initialized.

9. Emma

September 29, 2015 at 9:04 pm

Oh this is Tolani, I’m subscribed to her YouTube channel. HML to them.

10. amh

September 29, 2015 at 9:17 pm

only the best. congrats. yoruba wedding is aways elaborate and extravagant.kudos to the wedding planner. she did a fantastic job.

11. delta geh

September 29, 2015 at 9:23 pm

Aww that part with her Mum dressing her up. too cute! May God bless their union!

12. nina

September 29, 2015 at 10:22 pm

Absolutely beautiful couple and an equally beautiful wedding!! I am not Nigerian but would like to know how Nigerians in the US afford such expensive weddings. Who pays for these weddings? Just wanted to ask.

• Sheun

September 30, 2015 at 6:49 pm

Nigerians are able to afford expensive weddings because we are very educated, and we pursue high-paying professions such as medicine, law, engineering, and so on. Also, many are big business owners. We like nice and elaborate things, so we work hard to afford them.

13. Open Sesame

September 29, 2015 at 10:27 pm

@are we done yet.

Awwww, here’s the one who secretly crushed on the groom and then he picked someone else to be his bride. No worry ehn, God will provide.

The wedding was beautiful, full of love and friendship. May it last forever.

You my friend are the head of the haters committee. May God help you.

14. Rayva

September 29, 2015 at 10:34 pm

@fabulous, same here………….video could not be initialized…….???

15. nnenne

September 29, 2015 at 10:43 pm

Question:
    Why do we use cake, bible and ring in a traditional wedding?
    Are those items really part of our tradition?

HML to the couple. Nice wedding.

• Really African

September 30, 2015 at 8:25 am

for the same reason no one does “proper” naming ceremonies anymore. We think our trad beliefs are “wrong”/inferior so we have to incorporate the white man’s religion. Then again what it a white wedding to an African?

16. Tolu

September 29, 2015 at 11:03 pm

Lovely lovely wedding.
    God bless your home.
    Lord, remember me this year.

17. Chika

September 30, 2015 at 4:48 am

No vex but I believe the planner is saying she does luxury weddings that can cost anywhere between $150,000 and up. She was not saying this one specifically cost as much. I dont think she is lying though. She planned that super expensive Igbo wedding in Houston that was featured on this site and other beautiful ones I saw on her IG page. I like her work and would book her if I lived there and had the money and husband to be of course.

• Dure

October 1, 2015 at 2:09 pm

Aawww, thank you so much dear.

18. KK

September 30, 2015 at 5:28 am

I was at this wedding and did not know CNN was there… a truly lovely couple.

19. yinkus

September 30, 2015 at 5:32 am

really hate the voice of the lady doing the voice-over

20. Cyndy

September 30, 2015 at 6:31 am

@are we done yet. Is it that you have clocked taty-five and your husband still dey 3rd mainland bridge dey find you? Or that you didn’t find your name on a coke can? Which of them is your problem? Tell me, you can confide in me. I can help contact CNN or Coca-Cola company for you.

• Stop already

September 30, 2015 at 9:43 am

Geez you sound like you were cut from the same cloth as @arewedoneyet

• Daybreak

September 30, 2015 at 10:22 am

Hahahahahaha oya chop knuckle my friend!

21. maamek

September 30, 2015 at 10:39 am

my love for the yuroba (guess i spelt it correctly)people…maybe it is because i lived in the same house with them.i learned how to prepare Amala,eba,lagba,Egussie soup(i enjoyed it though)….i love their culture too especially their language…yuroba men are handsome and caring oooo lol…dear GOD please give your Ghanaian daughter my own share of a good christian, educated,caring,hardworking,handsome,rich and respectful yuroba man just like the ones i know in Ghana lol…this is my prayer request in JESUS NAME AMEN….HAVE A BLISSFUL UNION,,GOD BLESS YOU MORE,YOU WILL NEVER LACK IN LIFE MAY YOU CONTINUE TO BE BLESSED WITH THE FRUIT OF THE WOMB!

• ATL's finest

October 2, 2015 at 6:34 am

Lol *Yoruba* the Yoruba’s love U too 🙂

• maamek

October 2, 2015 at 12:03 pm

thanx for the correction lol#am Ghanaian,guess it is understandable#

22. Lonely Girl...

September 30, 2015 at 11:00 am

Now this is what happens when friends married. I really admire them congrats to them. I got teary at a point and can only pray that my own comes as my 30th birthday gift this year. *sobs* I am Yoruba . The best part for was when the Grooms father upon receiving back the dowry gave it to the young couple. Also when the groom got emotional when dancing with his mum

I pray they see their grand children in good health and success in all their endeavors.

23. PurpleiciousBabe

September 30, 2015 at 11:23 am

Funny enough…
    I was proud she did her own makeup herself.
    Mum helped her to get ready.*cute*
    I really liked that segment it was very personal, deep and different.

I hope their marriage is filled with happiness, joy and peace.
    I like them together…….

460 guests is a lot… what!!!and some people are saying its small and intimate.
    The venue was stunning…

24. Blondie

September 30, 2015 at 12:17 pm

this made me emotional.. just picturing my own day & wondering who the lucky guy will be. lol…my own father & daughter dance will be very emotional. i love my dad crazzzyyyyy.. my husband will be very lucky if i’m able to love him the way i love my dad or more. don’t blame me, mum was neva around, so we bn thru a lot. me especially. Dad was super strict but i appreciate him for bn there & guiding me thru life. it’s all for the better.

25. Iforgotmybnname

September 30, 2015 at 2:41 pm

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. I cried! I don’t know them but I love them. All that dancing! Hot steppers! May God bless their union with all their heart’s desires. And I love that it was so Nigerian. The bride’s aso-oke is so beautiful. Bless you guys. Sending love and kisses your way.

@are we done yet, always so funny how haters usually end their hate rant with ‘I’m not a hater’. Girl you are a jealous hater! Lick some sugar and pray to God to give you your own joy. You were so consumed by jealousy that your brain couldn’t function properly and tell you that the event planner saying some weddings can cost up to 150k doesn’t necessarily mean this one cost as much. Bad belle oshi. GERRARAHIA MHEN.

26. Hadassah

September 30, 2015 at 4:14 pm

They are such a sweet couple! Their dances moves… Over amazing…..
    Watch their you-tube videos….. Over disturbed everyone I know to watch them too
    Their chemistry is amazing… the friendship looks so real..
    I have mutual friends with them; First wedding I really wanted to gate-crash….. Like I felt like getting my ticket and flying to America for this…. 🙂 SMH at me… LoooL #famzingthem #hotsteppers
    God bless your Union IBK and Tolani…

27. Tosin

September 30, 2015 at 5:04 pm

This is beautiful!

28. Elizabeth O

October 1, 2015 at 9:31 am

HML tolani and Ibk, God bless bless your union. It was such an honour to be at your wedding. I pray both of you will do this for your children and children’s children ijn. Shoutout to aunty Yemi…bride’s mother…she is a mother indeed and my oga….bride’s father…God will continue to make you the head and bless the works of your hand. Indeed the Lord is with this couple. God bless you all.

29. zarah oh

October 3, 2015 at 9:55 am

Awwwwwwww
    The pre wedding woju something really made sense.
    Bin waiting for the big day
    HML..
    Cheers

30. abena

October 4, 2015 at 9:20 pm

Beutiful wedding !! May God Bless them and may they be together foreve beautiful bride and handsome groom!!!!

31. Omolara

October 7, 2015 at 9:38 pm

Finally, I get to see this beautiful couple. …I have been a fan since their wedding announcement video and I just love love live them , their chemistry is…(smiles).
    I love the mom and son and the couple’s dances, they were significant and at the same time emotional for me.Did I mention I pity the bride that night because I see she’s shy and was putting the groom on suspense but the hormones were on the rise (might be due to keeping the bed holy) , the groom on the other hand was like, finally. He was so prepared yet patient with the bride…their chemistry I really love.
    God Almighty bless this beautiful couple, be with them now and evermore. There’s nothing as good as knowing there is still real love and companionship out there, meaning by God’s special grace those who still believe in love can still one day testify to its existence.
    God bless you everyday of your lives, Amen.

32. Beebee

October 10, 2015 at 12:54 am

Lovely event!!! Praying God’s blessings on this couple in Jesus’ name.
    My very own Aunty Yemi Sholatan…may God continually bless the works of your hands in Jesus’ name. You light up Yoruba traditional weddings!