Style

Funke Akindele, Sylvia Nduka & Ama K Abebrese join Leslie Okoye to Say #BeautyIsConfidence in CookieSkin Campaign

BellaNaija.com

CookieSkin Beauty is Confident Campaign - BellaNaija - September 2015002

We are so loving this campaign by CookieSkin!

Starring Funke Akindele, Ama .K AbebreseSylvia Nduka and CookieSkin CEO, Leslie Okoye, the #BeautyIsConfident campaign is targeted at not only redefining the meaning of beauty among women of colour, but to also strengthen the confidence and self-esteem of African women globally.

According to Leslie, “Beauty is confidence.” “If beauty is confidence, how confident are women today? How confident are women in their bodies and in themselves?

Here’s what the campaign stars have to say;

Funke Akindele
The award winning actress took time off while filming on set to support the #BeautyIsConfidence campaign. She said – “I’m proud of her. It’s all about being confident, no matter your colour believe in you.” The star & executive producer of the hit series, Jenifa’s Diaries encourages all women to adopt healthy skin care habits, and love the skin they are in. “Every woman is special.

CookieSkin Beauty is Confident Campaign - BellaNaija - September 2015001

Ama K. Aberese
One of Ghana’s top actresses and TV host Ama .K Aberese also joined the CookieSkin campaign. The campaign particularly means a lot to her as another advocate for encouraging self-esteem among African women, with her ‘Say No To Bleaching Campaign’.

CookieSkin Beauty is Confident Campaign - BellaNaija - September 2015

Sylvia Nduka
The former Miss Nigeria, Sylvia Nduka, also shares Ama’s passion. Both ladies shared stories of moments when they felt insecure, and recalled being teased because of their skin colour, size and even their height.

CookieSkin Beauty is Confident Campaign - BellaNaija - September 2015006

Leslie Okoye
The CEO of CookieSkin, Lesie has successfully created a beauty brand that not only beautifies, but raises awareness for skin issues too.

In high school she was teased and taunted with nicknames. She recalls being called ‘agama-agama’ after the Agama Lizard, ‘Yellow’, and also called ‘Olive Oil’ after the Pop-Eye character. Leslie narrated how she would lock herself in the bathroom after her first days of senior school, crying and asking God to “please just add two inches of hips to each side and please give me C cups.”

She hopes that this campaign can help women who go through these experiences laugh about it like she does now.

According to the brand, ‘Leslie admitted she occasionally used hydroquinone-based creams to get her light skin back, especially after hot Summer months. However, she didn’t like the ghost pale look she got, so she would use tanning creams to get a golden radiant glow. In a nutshell, her struggle to maintain a healthy radiant even skin tone gave birth to CookieSkin – a holistic skincare line for women of colour that is hydroquinone, mercury, steroids and bleach free.’

CookieSkin #BeautyIsConfidence Campaign - BellaNaija - October 2015

Lesie says – “I could be making way more money if my creams could transform women from dark to light or yellow. But I believe there must be women out there, like me, who know that bleaching is bad for their skin and just want healthy, fresh, flawless and radiant skin.

See more images below:

CookieSkin #BeautyIsConfidence Campaign - BellaNaija - October 2015001CookieSkin Beauty is Confident Campaign - BellaNaija - September 2015004CookieSkin Beauty is Confident Campaign - BellaNaija - September 2015007 CookieSkin Beauty is Confident Campaign - BellaNaija - September 2015003

Watch Leslie Okoye, Funke Akindele, Ama K. Abebrese and Sylvia Nduka in #BeautyIsConfident campaign video:

Join the Beauty is Confidence campaign. Simply follow them on Instagram: @CookieSkin or @L.swc and post your confident beautiful pictures with the hashtags- #CookieSkin #CookieSkinCampaign #CookieSkinBeautyIsConfidence

Photo Credits
Photography: Obi Somto (Instagram: @ObiSomto)
Creative Director: Ifan Ifeanyi Michael (Instagram: @ThinkIfan)
Makeup: Blend by Chinny (Instagram: @BlendByChinny)
Graphics Artist: Nnamdinho Agbim (Instagram: @Nnamdinho.St)
Location: The nectar studio

1. Natu

September 24, 2015 at 12:48 pm

Funny how they all got on white women’s hair. Lol the black woman is a joke!!!!

• Anon

September 24, 2015 at 2:53 pm

Even the hair by Ama K. Aberese? Specsavers!

• me

September 24, 2015 at 6:08 pm

I has braids on… I hardly classify that as white hair. Now my major issue is the excessive Photoshop that made them look plastic.

• Natu

September 24, 2015 at 6:24 pm

Yeah she got on braids. I am not blind but the other women have on Caucasian hair. It is good that they are celebrating their complexion but they should also celebrate and love their real hair.

• hmmmmmm

September 25, 2015 at 2:36 am

Exactly, excessive photo shop making them look like dolls.

• fiona

September 25, 2015 at 11:44 am

@ natu..funny how you got on white people’s cloth and not danshiki.lol bottom line those in glass housed dont throw stones… not everyone can wear their natural hair like yours kindly respect that

• CB

September 25, 2015 at 1:37 pm

Clothes are not (inherent to)white peoples! Come on now! Did you just spill that out? Hope you never use that argument ever again…especially not in public, okay?

If you still can’t understand, I’ll ask you , which features of yours that you were born with are you changing to look like another race’s when you wear dress?

I think a lot of Nigerian women are not self-aware, they just do sh*t, just to do it. You don’t know the struggle.

This past week I gave a talk at an international conference (read caucasian)…. I ‘had to’ wear a wig just to blend in…my colleague and I convinced ourselves that we didn’t want them getting fixated on what was going on over our heads instead of what we were saying. So for the first time in over 6years (3years of no wigs or weaves) I put on straight hair.

It sucked!! Let’s just say that’s the last time I will do something that stupid, cos though I got an award for having one of the best presentations, I feel like such a sellout.

We grow everyday sha.

• Natu

September 25, 2015 at 2:26 pm

@fiona Your counter argument is so lame!!! How can you even compare the two?You and I both know how self loathing black woman are. I also know the history behind their self hate. Keep making Asians rich silly Negroes. They are making money out of your self hate!!!

• Evly

September 26, 2015 at 8:07 pm

I agree with you Fiona. This natu or whatever she calls herself is soo annoying I can’t even deal. From the pic I see of her, she appears black but all the venomous comment she spews are so anti black that I want to punch her in the face. Saying things like “the black woman is a joke” and “keep making Asians rich silly negroes” . What is she exactly or are my eyes deceiving me??

2. Ano

September 24, 2015 at 12:49 pm

We always hear of these campaigns but never of the aftermath…Are these campaigns really for boosting the African woman’s self confidence or for these actresses’ to remain in the public eye

3. Trock

September 24, 2015 at 12:59 pm

This article is misleading in my opinion. When i read it, i assumed it was against bleaching, whitening or lightening of the skin. Checking out the website, i see that all their products all have whitening, brightening effects. So really, the products will get you lighter! I have nothing wrong with people who wish to be lighter or even their skin tones especially with the harsh weather but i felt the article and the campaign were not honest. Their products lightens and whitens even if it doesn’t bleach and that should be mentioned. My two cents…

4. livingstone

September 24, 2015 at 1:13 pm

lovely..

5. Ladi Michael

September 24, 2015 at 1:15 pm

Love yourself d way u were created. Beauty is confident indeed!

6. mrs chidukane

September 24, 2015 at 1:16 pm

Reminds me of how I was called dogoyaro when I was younger because I was so tall. I was so shy and self conscious as a result. Nice campaign, the weaves are not the best though.

• Beeeee

September 24, 2015 at 3:42 pm

My own was dogo for short ?????

7. Nwanyi Ekwe

September 24, 2015 at 1:23 pm

I never get why skin care lines promote healthy looking skin by showing us over photoshopped pictures!! The weaves nko? This campain could have been so much better with less photoshop…

8. The name though

September 24, 2015 at 2:07 pm

I remember some years ago Solange Knowles was featured with a few black talking about the impact of skin color on a black woman self esteem. I remember her painfully, saying in history, for a black women to be considered beautiful, her skin tone had to be comparable to brown paper bag (sandwich bag), cookie skin or lighter. I believe BET aired it.
    So when I see a product being marketed to women of colour called cookieskin, I cringe. No offense to the business owner though.

• Tot

September 24, 2015 at 3:46 pm

So because Solange said XYZ we should take it as gospel truth?!

• The name though

September 24, 2015 at 6:11 pm

Welcome leslie. To answer your question, no we shouldn’t. But Solange was actually reiterating what the black community already knew. I have no quams if you want to sell bleaching cream that has worked for you but please stop using dark skin models of different shade to promote it as some type of daily cream. This ain’t no Dove commercial. Some of us do desire to see some dark-skinned people (particularly women) left in Nigeria in the coming decades. Thank you.
      If you are selling something, stop masking it as something else.

• new bride

September 24, 2015 at 7:38 pm

I read it somewhere (maybe here on BN) that she named the line cookie skin cos her husband always wanted to bite her very smooth/yummy skin like a cookie 🙂

• Simi

September 28, 2015 at 2:02 pm

I think that is true. Eya very cute.

9. Joan85

September 24, 2015 at 3:10 pm

Why didn’t Sylvia Nduka speak English in this campaign video? Okay…

10. Nini

September 24, 2015 at 3:12 pm

I love Silvia Nduka but that wig doesn’t do her justice. Love her chocolate skintone and how she carries herself. Nice campaign!

11. lad

September 24, 2015 at 3:51 pm

Sighs! The campaign says #BeautyIsConfidence right? If they feel confident wearing ugly wigs, crazy weaves, smashed makeup, na wetin make dem feel confident na! You guys should really cut them some slacks, jeez! Prolly that’s what strengthen their confidence and self-esteem! Hian

12. IA

September 24, 2015 at 4:12 pm

The make up artist should be sued…Those eyebrows (especially) are hideous…wrong foundation etc….expected bera man!

13. Folasade

September 24, 2015 at 4:17 pm

I am the only one that is loving this campaign? I think Mrs Okoye has really done a great job. The point is she is trying to do something positive, how many of you can say that? She’s so beautiful and a mother of two??? well done jare

• Felinda

September 24, 2015 at 9:07 pm

Oh Yes Something Positive NO DOUBT
      Positively Deceiving me with photoshopped images and pounds and pounds of horse hair on their head

I cant wait for the day someone comes up with a skin line to smooth skin for black skin and the models who look like Lupita and make up free – maybe just a dap of lipgloss. A before then after images – Before as in no make up clear skin then after will show them with minimal make up.

Your best make up is your smile ladies and this is why i love Nia Long, one of the very few celebs whom i follow on instagram and more often make up free – i love her freckles –

• Mabel

October 21, 2015 at 10:22 am

Someone replied since when did being a mother of two matter…I bet she has no kids and even if she did, I bet she’s on her hating instead of congratulating because she probably has not found something to call her own. Women should uplift women and see the good in what they do. As a mom myself I can tell you its ten times harder taking care of home and kids and then doing your own business, not working, but being your own boss. So i congratulate this woman of Cookieskin. just watched her yesterday and googled her. We in Ghana are glad she’s come this way. Inspirational.

14. Maggi

September 24, 2015 at 4:34 pm

The hair extensions are just wrong. Well apart from the lady carrying twist.

• Corolla

September 24, 2015 at 4:37 pm

“Carrying twist”? People still talk like this? Lol…ok.

15. tonya

September 24, 2015 at 5:55 pm

Lovely and Inspiring Ad. You guys are missing the point. Its about being confident in your skin and the fact that any skin tone is beautiful. I love Funke Akindele in this ad 🙂

16. RemovetheAgbegilodo

September 24, 2015 at 6:06 pm

… and the hair you have on your head is all yours right?

Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water. Appreciate the good in the hustle for once

17. Tosin

September 24, 2015 at 7:09 pm

the campaign photos are flawless
    my Jenifa!
    and now i know who the others are. seen their faces before, but now i’m seeing seeing…

18. Sika

September 24, 2015 at 8:12 pm

Since when did mother of two become an achievement abeg? Naija women and their constant self pressure

19. mgtss.blogspot.com

September 24, 2015 at 8:34 pm

I have been using Cookieskin for two months now and my skin colour has NOT changed. So no, it doesn’t bleach. I am noticing an evening in my skin tone though which was why i decided to give it a try in the first place. And yes, i would have preferred if they didn’t have those long wigs, but that does not take away from the beauty of the campaign, And Leslie IS a beautiful woman.

20. constructive

September 24, 2015 at 8:48 pm

I agree a beauty is confidence campaign should have been shot with beautiful skin bare ladies i.e little or no makeup……women are beautiful in different shades and tones like you’ve highlighted even with some freckles, birth marks etc….and there is absolutely no harm in redoing the campaign if this hasn’t worked….

Just some constructive feedback from a fellow woman x

21. nene

September 24, 2015 at 8:50 pm

the video is crap but the pictures are not bad

22. Felinda

September 24, 2015 at 9:01 pm

Dont Insult my Intelligence with this photoshop BULL SHIT.
    Are you advertising MAKEUP POWDER or Body/Face Cream – Which one?
    Mschewwwwwwwwww

Retake this photo makeup free so we see your real skin and dont insult my intelligence with photoshopped images.

Seriously?? only fools will fall for this

23. zee

September 24, 2015 at 9:49 pm

Funke’s pose in d 1st picture sha..lol!

24. Mimi May

September 24, 2015 at 9:52 pm

What a flat breast! And you are so proud to flaunt it Leslie? Ihere alala n’anya umu nwanyi. Nawa ooo

25. Bae

September 24, 2015 at 10:36 pm

Confidence to wear makeup or not, confidence to rock a bad weave or natural hair. Basically living in your truth!

26. Rachel

September 24, 2015 at 10:37 pm

#Beautyisconfidence
    Love the message. There is lot of pressure on women to keep up with whatever is considered the current popular global look.
    Being confident in yourself is key. All the women featured are beautiful, accomplished and unique in their own right.

Love ‘Jenifa’…… She is soo funny.

I’m a CookieSkin user and really appreciate their high quality products, especially for evening out my hyperpigmentation and giving my skin and overall and healhy glow.

27. truth

September 24, 2015 at 11:50 pm

they talking bout beautie and confidence and they all using synthetic hair. how dare u talk bout beautie is confidence and be proud to put on fake hair?!

28. yo

September 25, 2015 at 12:02 am

you people are funny. “no make up with a bit of lipgloos’ because u have let all those ads deceive you? they photoshop the images to look like they’v got no make-up on honey. plus this Natural hair hypocrite on the blog. how far u now??? u might as well be walking naked up and down since thats how you were born right? and u are allergic to western BS.
    Its not even a great campaign. it was not organised well but nooo y’all just full of hate and would rather pick on irrelevant things instead.

29. Nneoma

September 25, 2015 at 11:35 am

Been using CookieSkin products for two years now. love, love , love the results.
    Leslie Okoye….Great campaign and keep up the great work.

30. Real woman

September 25, 2015 at 11:49 am

don’t know Leslie Okoye although I follow her on Instagram. I respect her hustle abeg, maybe not the greatest campaign but the message is real.

31. Jhennique

September 25, 2015 at 3:01 pm

They look weird

32. omo naija

September 25, 2015 at 3:16 pm

I see the magazines working that Photoshop
    We know that shit ain’t real
    Come on now, make it stop #siliconbarbiedoll# #photoshop# #beproudofurself# #practicewhatyoupreach# just saying….

33. Nwachidinma

September 25, 2015 at 4:12 pm

Leslie great job! So proud of you. Great initiative. I use cookie skin too. I love that it helps hyper pigmentation with hydroquine. I also love it’s anti-aging benefits. Keep it up girl!

• Lola

September 25, 2015 at 5:42 pm

I second that. I also use Cookieskin and that aside, this campaign is very good. Everyone is angry because they are probably insecure and or bleaching. Who doesn’t wear weaves ever? Stop hating because you know the girl is fine and blessed and moving ahead in life. The energy you spend hating tell us what you people have done in your career?? Tell me please what have you done that has benefited others?

34. miss_nk

September 25, 2015 at 8:13 pm

cookies aren’t smooth though.

35. Mr Gtouch

September 27, 2015 at 11:52 pm

So that warrants the statement that the black woman is a joke? Calm down n take the next step. We can encourage her to be comfortable in her skin (cut the bleaching ish) another campaign will run on hair, maybe we can even tune down lashes, lol but the black woman can never be a joke, some are ignorant of certain truths others are recreating their world. Bless