Scoop

Annie Idibia like You’ve Never Seen Her Before! Check Out Her Photos for a Breast Cancer Shoot

Annie Idibia in Fight the Odds Shoot - BellaNaija - October 2015This has to be Annie Idibia‘s most shocking photo yet!

To help raise awareness for cancer, she posed for a Breast Cancer-inspired shoot by makeup artist Banjo Laide of ArabyLaide and photographer, Emmanuel Oyeleke, tagged #FightTheOdds.

The purpose is to “to create more awareness about cancer and the importance of self examination. Recent studies have shown that 20% of breast cancer is discovered by self examination rather than mammography and we must realize that cancer is not a respecter of persons. It could happen to anyone, even a celebrity like Annie Idibia. Imagine the lives that will be saved if more women physically checked themselves on a regular basis, imagine if we could stand against breast cancer by fighting the odds via self examination. Let’s save the life of a woman today, let’s examine ourselves today!

In the photos we see Annie with a bald head, no makeup, and topless.

Annie Idibia in Fight the Odds Shoot - BellaNaija - October 2015001

The shoot is a personal one for makeup artist, Banjo Laide. She shared her inspiration, which stems from a close encounter with Breast Cancer, via Instagram. She wrote;

“At the age of 18 I had a breast cancer scare as I noticed a hard lump on my left breast and a swelling occurred. After being examined I discovered it was a lump, and the doctor scheduled an appointment for it to be removed. But on the day of the surgery it was a miracle as it disappeared. It resurfaced again and I had no option but to do a mammogram. At the end of the day it was discovered I had high Prolactin level – a disorder that causes the pituitary gland to produce more Prolactin than normal. Although I was cancer free, the incidence was a wake up call on the importance of regular self examination. Because of this I decided to team up with Nollywood actress/entrepreneur Annie Idibia @AnnieIdibia1, and ace photographer Emmanuel Oyeleke @EmmanuelOyeleke, to create this look with the project called #FightTheOdds portraying that anyone can be a victim of cancer even a celebrity. S/o to the whole team who made this work.

We have to admit, it’s a stirring photo that drives the point across. What do you think of the shoot?

Photo Credit
Photography: Emmanuel Oyeleke (Instagram: @EmmanuelOyeleke)
Makeup: Banjo Laide (Instagram: @AraByLaide)
Creative Direction: Olabanke Banjo (Instagram: @Olabanke03)
BTS: Dee (Instagram: @Dolzee)
Model: Annie Idibia (Instagram: @AnnieIdibia1)

1. missappleberry

October 27, 2015 at 1:41 pm

Hmmm…hair indeed is the beauty of a woman.

• Damilola

October 27, 2015 at 6:55 pm

You are one shallow person. Cancer, disease, sickness changes the look of someone no matter how much beauty u have. And baldness looks better on some women than them having long hair. It’s all about features. Although, the pic looks more like photoshoot for hunger. It reminds of those ad with theme song, “in the arms of the angel”. My heart goes out to those fighting cancer, keep fighting and God will see you through. And those who died from it, God will comfort their loved ones.

• Osaretin

October 27, 2015 at 10:29 pm

Its true. the bible says the hair is the crowning glory of the woman. annie idibia doing this was sacrificial on her part, and she will be blessed for it. there is nothing shallow about stating an obvious fact. annie doesn’t look nice, here which is the sacrifice and care she has put in towards a worthy cause

2. dor-dor

October 27, 2015 at 1:42 pm

No Comment…

3. Grace

October 27, 2015 at 1:43 pm

Wow the make up is good
    The struggle is real. Self examination always is the first way to stay alive.
    Kudos to all the team.

4. kevin

October 27, 2015 at 2:02 pm

Choi…Chisos!!!…Annie looks so scary in this pic…lol

In Other News, Lesbian Scandal Rocks Kogi University: Sex Video Goes Viral, Go to –> kevindjakporblog.com/2015/10/lesbian-scandal-rocks-kogi-university.html

5. hmmmm

October 27, 2015 at 2:12 pm

After fighting years of depression, anxiety (which I still deal with sometimes), low self esteem, anger and trauma from being molested in the earlier part of my life I found God, peace, love and true joy. I fought to make something out of my life, I chose happiness. one day while working on my dissertation for my master’s degree I noticed a sharp pain in my breast but I put it down to period ish…. Long story short, I was going through emotionally and spiritually trying times when I realised that the pain was a lump….A doctor confirmed it was a lump and I needed mammogram. I WILL NEVER FORGET THAT FEELING OF DEFEAT…LIKE DID I FIGHT ALL MY LIFE TO COME AND HAVE CANCER? I was given an appointment and where I was waiting had about 6 women; I was the youngest of them and I remember this one lady who was in her late 40s and she said “Are you waiting for your mum? I said no, I have a lump in my right breast and I am waiting to have it checked…. she said “oh, that’s why you look so scared, well I can tell you that you most likely don’t have cancer because I have faith in God on your behalf and if you do have cancer, I have had it twice AND I ASSURE YOU IT WILL NOT TAKE YOUR LIFE.

I didn’t have cancer, I still have the lump in my breast and I am going to have it removed next year. I HAVE NEVER HAD CANCER AND I HOPE I NEVER WILL, BUT IF YOU DO, I HAVE FAITH IN GOD ON YOUR BEHALF THAT CANCER WILL NOT KILL YOU.

• memebaby

October 27, 2015 at 3:25 pm

amen hun

• Opsy

October 27, 2015 at 4:56 pm

@hmmmm: A very big hug and a very big kiss…

• cushball

October 27, 2015 at 5:55 pm

Please does anyone know a good female gynaecologist. I felt a lump and I’m trying not to be scared….

• Debbie

October 27, 2015 at 8:35 pm

I have had 2 lumps on both breasts removed and I can say each time I noticed the lumps (first when I was 16 years), I was just like “Jesu, my life will end with breast cancer?”. Fortunately both times, it wasn’t cancerous and I had them removed immediately. And diagnosis say na some oversabi hormones and according to the doctor, I should go and get married and start having sex. I laugh.

First time I noticed it, a relative had just done a surgery to remove lumps and a friend was battling ovarian cancer (she died a year after). So you can imagine the distress I was in.

No one can describe the period between when you notice a lump and when you find out it isn’t cancer.

Not something I pray for anyone to go through.

• Ag

October 28, 2015 at 10:20 pm

Jeez at Debbie, u have my story! I have also had lumps removed from both breasts, d first wen Iwas 16 too! The second wen I was 25,both benign, but d second left a scar I am self conscious about

• Bola

October 27, 2015 at 10:33 pm

No my real name isn’t even Bola. Eitherway, last night I think I found a lump in my left breast. I’m not scared but I feel like I probably should be. I intend to check it out with a doctor soon. Thanks for this comment.

6. loveth

October 27, 2015 at 2:32 pm

Kudos to you Annie and other team that made this photo shoot successful…..This is how breast cancer awareness should be, not the nude pix we saw during the “NO BRA DAY”. Early detection is the key.

7. Onetallgirl

October 27, 2015 at 2:37 pm

What the he’ll is this eh?!?!?! Not every person with breast cancer looks ugly and bald like this, I know woman who have breast cancer and still look beautiful and still have hair.

• NaijaPikin

October 27, 2015 at 4:05 pm

You think there is beauty in cancer? My friend will you shift, It is a horrible killer. People are fighting for their lives. Makeup is the last thing on their mind.

This is Annie without hair and makeup. If you like call her ugly, it is who she is. So proud of her for doing this. It takes a lot for a woman to shave her hair. I highly doubt she got paid for this, but even if she did, its still very major to go bald.

Thank you Annie and the entire team for support a great cause and sending a message. May the Lord bless all the souls we have loved due to cancer and may the strengthen the ones currently going through it.

• wande

October 27, 2015 at 4:06 pm

It’s an awareness, dey did not say dey all look like dat. Take a chill pill, why so bitter….

8. Bruness

October 27, 2015 at 3:20 pm

Someone should please enlighten me. When Nigerian celebrities do these photo shoots for one campaign or the other do they actually go out and touch the lives of people who are affected? Do they do actual awareness, go out and educate everyday people on these matters or do they just rouse up a handful of people and give lectures, take pictures for the media and stamp AWARENESS CAMPAIGN on it?

9. memebaby

October 27, 2015 at 3:23 pm

sigh. 🙁 she just reminded me of my mom’s bestie who died of colon cancer.. first time in my life ever seeing someone close to death! ( I felt like i couldn’t breathe and was nauseous initially..cried the whole time.. God did she look so different!) she looked pale, skinny ( was once a chubby woman) and still jolly. she believed she was going to make it out of the hospital and told everyone to stop crying..till she took a nap and didn’t wake up! rest in peace aunty M. I love you <3

• Idomagirl

October 28, 2015 at 12:09 am

So sad. 🙁

10. WAIT oh

October 27, 2015 at 3:24 pm

Kai…kai…kai…haahahahahhahaaha, d intention is good, but aswear ds pix na serious wah o! mke i tke another quick look….hahahahhaha…smH

11. mubarik

October 27, 2015 at 3:24 pm

The picture looks real African woman, I think I like it, big up to you Annie for that and let’s support our women

• Linda

October 27, 2015 at 5:13 pm

Mubarak, If you say this pic is a real African woman then you need to get your head re examined. Africans r beautiful people and don’t look sick

• ATL's finest

October 31, 2015 at 8:12 am

@ Linda thank U. I like the awareness of it & the msg they are passing across to us all. But this pix tho hmmm.. Anyways y’all check ur Ta-Tas before it’s too late.

12. keeks

October 27, 2015 at 3:48 pm

i get the message, but i don’t think neither cancer patients nor survivors would embrace this depiction.

13. wunmi

October 27, 2015 at 4:27 pm

@ Hmmmm I thank God for you and pray you have the lump successfully removed next year. We need more of that encouraging woman who spoke with you at the hospital in the world today. God bless her heart of encouragement. Do be strong dear. Everything will workout just fine. Also don’t focus on the number of challenges you’ve encountered just learn the lessons and stay strong & closer to God. You will understand it better by and by. Love, hugs & kisses dearie

14. didi

October 27, 2015 at 4:28 pm

While i get the idea behind the shoot and all, it would have been much better to put a real face to cancer survivors/patients instead of using celebrities or actors… That is how you drive your point home… Cancer is not a nollywood movie or a commercial, it’s real and would make more sense to use real people for this campaign. It is a Campaign NOT and Advert!

• Jay

October 27, 2015 at 5:18 pm

You sound like didi I know.

• Passing by

October 27, 2015 at 5:23 pm

Not many people survive breast cancer. And how many of those that do will be willing and able to do what Annie did. Celebrities have a following hence it makes perfect sense to use them. Catches the attention of people. Makes them more aware.

15. prince

October 27, 2015 at 4:39 pm

Nice photoshoot. Annie, 2face allow you do this? nice one tho

16. Que

October 27, 2015 at 4:49 pm

I love the sublte drama in her expression, she really has good actor genes…. I love the photographs….love them…

Aside from the seriousness of the cancer issue, the mischievous me at a first glance was like ‘….wow they photoshopped Tuface’s head onto her face…’

17. Yolanda

October 27, 2015 at 5:02 pm

Looking at this picture the memory of my beloved; sweet beautiful mother on her sick bed came to mind again. And I shed tears again; cancer is not a joke; I don’t even know if you can explain or describe the feeling when you see and feel the pain. It’s horrible; indescribable. 17 years later I still feel the same but I give thanks to God because he is my strength and comforter. My prayer goes to all those cancer patients and may God strengthen your loved ones. Thank you Annie for raising awareness!!! God is our strength

18. Me

October 27, 2015 at 5:57 pm

As you’re reading this I’m in the hospital waiting to speak with a consultant. I’ve just had a mammogram and although I’m not scared I pray the consultant will tell me they found nothing and I can go home. #bestillandknowthatIamGos

19. Ella

October 27, 2015 at 5:58 pm

Goosh!!!!!Annie is really ugly ……nice one though

• kanyin

October 27, 2015 at 7:09 pm

You need help, you are the very ugly person because your heart and mind is who you are. for you to have read this post and this is what came to you… then you are the very ugly person. I hope you nor any member of your family have to go through this. Maybe you won’t be as silly and shallow minded.

• Musingsofachristianchick.com

October 27, 2015 at 7:32 pm

Woow how rude, I would love to see you create one finger. Not a whole “ugly” human being o, just one finger.
      We as a society need to learn to briddle our tongue

20. Me

October 27, 2015 at 6:00 pm

God*

21. mimi

October 27, 2015 at 6:01 pm

This picture brought so much tears and memories alive,lost my only elder sister to breast. cancer March ds year,had never thought cancer could kill that fast and owing to the fact that she was abroad where I felt they wud hv d best treatment for her,still haven’t gotten over her as. I cry mysef to sleep everyday.am praying that. God heals my wound someday.breast cancer is a monster and I hope to create awareness if I hv opportunity some day.

22. Affected

October 27, 2015 at 6:09 pm

I lost my mum to breast cancer when I was barely 4. This October it had been 20 yrs since she passed on. I barely remember her or know what she looked like, except for what I see in pictures. She battled cancer for 3 solid years, with lots of invested emotions, energy and financial resources from my dad, my elder siblings, her friends, family and allies alike.

Anyone that has witnessed what it’s like to lose a loved one to any afflictions at all, especially cancer, would know that cancer awareness goes just beyond the illness but every other thing that is lost in the process.

• Idomagirl

October 28, 2015 at 12:10 am

Sorry for your loss. 🙁

23. Maria

October 27, 2015 at 6:18 pm

Hahahahahahahahahah…If I saw her at night, I would definitely faint…Indeed all humans ugly… who could have imagined that Annie could look like thi? Next time you see an ugly person, know that with money everyone can be beautiful!

• kanyin

October 27, 2015 at 7:04 pm

If this is all you picked from this post… then you are a very shallow minded person. and you need help. I feel sorry for you.

24. halyma

October 27, 2015 at 6:25 pm

Wow….the image is so real for me because I have been there and back. Early detection and treatment saves lives! It saved mine…@Me I join my faith with yours.
    For anyone having a lump removed, please request for a histopathology of that lump just to double sure.

• Debbie

October 27, 2015 at 8:35 pm

Yep. Very necessary

25. Opy

October 27, 2015 at 7:35 pm

Wow. Thank you annie

26. DC

October 27, 2015 at 8:03 pm

Lol gawd! Why now??? They are better ways to show Ur support…

27. singer

October 27, 2015 at 8:24 pm

The truth is… most ppl involved this…are after their popularity. … indirect PR. … so you run to their instagram pages..follow them and check them out… I follow this Canadian blog. .A makeup artist did some thing like this and did not involve her instagram whatever… when asked..her reply was *it came from the depth of my heart do not follow me for this course,please check yourselves so you don’t loose anyone like I did*
    I found myself tearing up..
    I had to trace her by force…

All these ppl sef…

28. Breastlight

October 27, 2015 at 10:12 pm

The emphasis of early detection cannot be over emphasized. I have had lumb scares before and it wasn’t funny.
    There is a product in the market called breastlight which enables one know their breast. It works by passing high intensity safe light through the breast tissues and you basically see inside your breast. When used regularly, it enables one detect any abnormality and a proper check is conducted…mammogram is actually unsafe especially for younger women.
    FREE Breast screening with Breastlight is currently going on in Lekki Phase 1 this month of October.
    Call 08174602196 to book to book an appointment.
    BN, please post, tou might just be saving a life.

29. rajimf

October 28, 2015 at 7:24 am

Annie please try to take Trevor drink….it’s very good.

30. ACE

October 28, 2015 at 9:53 am

Nice one. This is real please always examine your breast .

31. oge

October 28, 2015 at 10:28 am

For those complaining about the hair, the most widely used treatment plan for cancer in Nigeria is chemotherapy and one of the major side effect of the drug is loss of hair: In the pubic region, armpits, eyebrow, and the head. I think the picture really depicts someone battling with cancer. My mum died of cancer and seeing the picture made me remember how she suddenly went bald from taking those drugs and how she always wondered why she had to have cancer. I really pray and hope that there would be a solution to that sickness soon. NB- there is a vaccine for cervical cancer now so visit a health center today to be vaccinated.. Thumbs up ? to the brain behind the campaign

32. cancer is a killer

October 28, 2015 at 3:47 pm

Cancer of any sort is definitely what one should play with. I lost my dad to prostrate cancer and it’s never easy to come to terms with the fact that a once vibrant man, full of life will succumb to that deadly disease. My dad had cancer for 5yrs, was in and out of hospital for chemotherapy, blood transfusion and water retention. At first, his hair didn’t fall off but after the 4th session, it started falling off gradually. We used all we had, sold everything that could fetch money and went into debt so he could get the best treatment. We exhausted all we had on those treatments yet it kept spreading until the doctor said we should take him home and just keep taking care of him till he goes home. On Friday 22nd of January, 2010 at exactly 11.00pm, he gave up the ghost right in front of me. That was the saddest day of my life. I went into autopilot mode, the reality didn’t dawn on me till the lying-in-state.
    Cancer awareness should also include prostrate for the guys. That disease is extremely wicked and i do not wish it upon anyone.
    *tears* RIP Dad, still miss you much.

33. Sumbs

October 29, 2015 at 1:45 pm

I have been having this funny tingling feeling in my right breast (on and off) for about a month now. So i thought it’ll be safe to know what’s happening as i find myself squeezing my breast every time i get the chance to – trying to be sure no lump is there! I went for screening and in that cancer prevention centre, the payment i made covers for both breast and cervix, so i went ahead to have the cervix checked too, since it’s not costing extra anyways. After the screening, the doctor then goes “I need you to be very honest with me, I was like “mogbe modaran” , do you have more than one partner, I was like NO! He said cos your cervix has some abnormalities, i know that’s not what you came for, but good you had it checked”. I was like chai! what am i going to do with my life now? So he said I would run a couple of tests to ascertain what it is, and immediately my “Nigerian” mind thought, hahaha, I hope this isn’t some way to get money off me, so I told my sister and we decided that to be sure; i run it in another hospital, so I did!

I was told that my cervix was inflammed and that i needed to get cryotheraphy (Google what it means), so I had it done immediately, the procedure didn’t take up to 30mins. It involves using very low temperature through a probe connected to a pressurized gas to freeze off warts (which was prolly caused by infection, douching amongst others) in the inflammed area, so in 2 – 3 weeks new cells can be formed back again.

SO I IMPLORE EVERY WOMAN TO HAVE THEIR BODIES CHECKED, IT HELPS. CERVICAL CANCER DOESN’T HAVE ANY SYMPTOMS TILL IT’S TOO LATE!

• Koffie

October 29, 2015 at 2:47 pm

What’s the name of the centre you got tested? How much did it cost? I’ve had breast lump scare about 4 years ago and I was going to the hospital for close to a year cos the doctor wanted to be sure it was truly gone since the lump just disappeared. He said “you have naturally lumpy breasts” and also that they may not necessarily be cancerous. After the consultant gave me a clean bill of health for my breasts, I haven’t had them checked again (partly cos of fear as that year was the longest of my life). I remember he also mentioned that I should consider marrying early so I can start having sex (I don’t know the relationship).
      I found a cancer centre online but I want to know how much these tests cost so I can plan for it. Also, I found out through research then that my anti-perspirant/roll-on was the cause (I was using SURE) because it contained Aluminium. It’d give me these lumps in my underarms and I treated them as I would treat a boil. Turns out your underarms are linked to your breasts and the lumps can migrate. You guys might want to check your anti-perspirant brand to make sure it doesn’t contain Aluminium. All the popular ones do; Sure, Nivea, Dove etc so I just use body mists and scented wipes to clean my underarms during day especially when I sweat…

• ATL's finest

October 31, 2015 at 8:20 am

@ Sumbs U are so right! In as much as I HATE to go in to the GYN, I still ve to whenever I think of Ovarian/Cervical cancer.. Na God dey save people Us .. Even if I try to skip it, there’s a reminder on my file via Electronic so u best believe if I go on for cough, oh my Dr is on me for that check up lol.. I LOVE my GYN.. He’s too sexy & Great @ what he does ( take ur minds off the gutter y’all?). Dr O bn checking this Va-Jay Jay since I was 16yrs ( Over a decade) so no shame & I always choose my own instrument/equipments??????.

34. NUR

October 30, 2015 at 6:22 pm

I know some have addressed the shallow comments but I am appalled that some people think cancer will allow you time to be wearing makeup. You think it is a choice? or people really what to lose their hair. Child,you won’t want to keep it I assure you because when your hair resemble something wey rat chop, nobody will tell you to cut it. It is chemo that causes the hair loss, dark circles, baldness, tiredness, nausea, nails falling off, shall I go on….Unfortunately, it is necessary to kill the cancerous cell. Or you think people want to have radiotherapy where they can not even hug their loved ones because of exposing them to radiation poising? Cancer is not beans!!! I thank God everyday my MOTHER survived it. The way Annie looks is sadly the way my mum looked and with old age, I literally saw life drain out of a very strong woman. I had an Aunt that looked the same that was not so lucky.

Everyone’s cancer journey is different and some people may not lose hair (i know someone that did not).

More people need to know what cancer will do to you and I commend both the photographer, Annie, the make up artist and everyone involved in the process. Not everyday aso-ebi, makeup and beauty. Better to lose looks than lose life.

35. mamaj

October 31, 2015 at 3:50 am

i still remember vividly how the cancer patients in the female ward opposite the room i was admitted after my tonsillectomy surgery @ a general hospital would cry @ night and struggle to mention the word “NURSE” when in pain and needed attention. it was so heart breaking to see those women writhe in pain and wished i had magical powers to just heal them totally… cancer is no JOKE o….may God lay his healing hands on anyone battling with any form of cancer and i implore everyone to get themselves checked when not sure about any strange feeling(s) in/on any part of their bodies….Kudos to Annie and the rest of the team.

36. Precious

November 11, 2015 at 10:53 pm

anyone interested in purchasing it can drop a contact.