Career

She Saw the Call on BN & Chased Her Dreams! Adenike Adebayo’s Fascinating Experience at the TLC Next Great Presenter Bootcamp

BellaNaija.com

The Screening Room With AdenikeThe first time Adenike Adebayo was featured on BellaNaija, it was for her academic achievements in 2013 {Click here if you missed it}. Since then, she has become one of our favourites with her animated Nollywood movie reviews on YouTube – The Screening Room with Adenike.

Some weeks ago, she sent us an email informing us that she had been shortlisted as the only Nigerian on the TLC Next Great Presenter competition. Adenike’s story is inspiring and we believe that this dynamic woman, who is able to count her blessings and forge ahead in spite of adversity, will go places. She saw one of the many opportunities which we share on BellaNaija, clicked on it, and put her heart into what she believed.

Enjoy her story below and remember to be on the look out for opportunities where your talent can be recognized.

***

Anything is possible. If your mind can conceive it, you can realize it.
I saw the audition notice for TLC Next Great Presenter and thought to myself, why not? This was after I had attended series of “failed” auditions.

TLC (DSTV Channel 172) is a huge platform and the competition was opened to the whole of Africa! It seemed like an impossible task. I mean, what are the odds that my video would be chosen? But, I did it anyway. And boy, did God bless my hustle!

12080582_880772278696527_602308575_n

I received the called at 7:00am on a Friday morning telling me that the judges loved my audition and I’d been selected to be one of the 12 semi-finalists of the competition. I was elated! Literally, I was walking on sunshine. It seemed unrealistic because there were over 1,500 entries. But here I was, being told that I could potentially be the first African presenter that TLC has ever had. I was as nervous as I was excited.

12132771_920487107989064_471356641_n
As a semifinalist, I was invited and flown to Johannesburg, South Africa to attend boot camp with the other semifinalists. We attended master classes on performance, media training, fashion etc. It was a learning experience with industries finest. By the end of the week, the 12 semifinalists had been narrowed down to 3. Unfortunately, I was not part of the 3 finalists. I was devastated, but only for a while.

Gallery_Top_12_Hi_Res
With tears in my eyes, I began to count my blessings:
1. Out of 1,500 auditions from all over Africa, I was chosen to be one of 12 semi-finalists
2. The only Nigerian chosen
3. Flown to South Africa and lodged at a 5 star hotel
4. Attended trainings led by professionals
5. Made connections, new friends
6. Had an experience of a lifetime etc.
Not only did I dry my tears, I bounced back with a bang. I enjoyed the rest of the trip and learned as much as I could. The judges was amazing in letting us realize that we all had something special, our dreams were validated on an international scale! But at the end of the day, there could only be one winner. But hey, we all already won, we made top 12!

And to ice the cake, I ran into one of the best presenters in Nigeria (Africa if I may), Ebuka Obi Uchendu, at OR Tambo international airport, on my way back to Lagos. He was kind, patient and attentive while I told him about my journey as a presenter. He even gave me a very useful tip. (wink)12106153_1637242436541212_978323260_n 12107553_194605707537699_368340524_n
Now that I’m back in Lagos, I’m going to pursue this dream of becoming a renowned TV presenter and producer like never before. I’ll keep going because forward is the only place to go. I’m confident that soon, my time will come and I will shine bright like a diamond. Get your sunglasses ready, because it’s going to get real bright pretty soon.

I decided to share my TLC journey with you in order to encourage someone who’s out there pursuing a dream; you’re too close to give up. Not every “no” is a set back. And as my good friend once said (Hi Bonolo), “God will sometimes take you around the block, just to bring you next door.”

Don’t give up, keep going because some day, your time to shine will come. You don’t want to be found missing now, do you?

***

Watch her video from Johannesburg here:

Check out the entry that got her shortlisted:

1. Vortex

October 30, 2015 at 3:26 pm

Rejection can be tough to deal with but, as they say, it’s God’s way of saying wrong direction… Sometimes, it’s not even about winning the visible prize; experience and exposure from certain competitions/events can also propel one to unimaginable levels. Jennifer Hudson, for example, placed 7th in American Idols and still went on to become a mega star.
    Your mindset and energy are great, Adenike. I smiled when I read this part; “get your sunglasses ready because it’s going to get real bright pretty soon.” All the best, may God give you even more than your expected end.

• Tosin

October 31, 2015 at 4:33 am

speaking of bright, i kept looking at how nice it would be to dress her in brights…jewels, faux baubles, gold over the top, something gaga. there’s so much radiance in her face, wonder what clothes could keep up with that…
      hmmm, inspiration http://www.bellanaija.com/2015/09/17/lupita-nyongo-is-a-high-fashion-model-for-vogues-october-15-issue/
      I generally criticize chine-chine bobo looks, and will continue to do so when they’re mgbeke-ly executed (whether designer or not, expensive or not), but with this lady here, i want to try something different. pack on the glitter, gloss, sparkle, shine, …

wichyo bad self 😉

2. chee

October 30, 2015 at 3:34 pm

Awww! U are a winner dearie,i loved the part * with tears in my eyes,I began to count my blessings*…..thanks for sharing!

3. hmmmmmmm

October 30, 2015 at 4:31 pm

Every disappointment is blessing. Don’t give up on your dreams

4. Are we there yet?

October 30, 2015 at 6:16 pm

Congrats babes!!

No shade tho, but i am glad u fixed ur teeth…lol!!! Also, ur hair in ebuka pic was on fleek!! Pls stick to that style cos the wigs u wear on ur youtube vids not the bhsiness.

Stay on ur grind sweety

5. Fabulous B

October 30, 2015 at 6:39 pm

I’m so proud of you, Darling. GOD bless your hustle. I look forward to seeing you in high places.

6. ...just saying

October 30, 2015 at 6:55 pm

Adenike, I love you and I’m proud you emerged as the only Nigerian shortlisted. I’m very lost on why you feel the need to inspire us though. You didn’t win the competition even though you’re a winner all the way I must say.

7. oops

October 30, 2015 at 6:59 pm

Anyone notice how the Nigerian accent changed to American after the training in the first video.

• Corolla

October 30, 2015 at 8:30 pm

She schooled in the US, so her accent may fluctuate here and there…Abeg free people jare. I have live abroad for donkey years, and sometimes my accent is all over the place and inconsistent.

8. Marv

October 30, 2015 at 7:26 pm

Well done girl. She reminds me of Michelle Obama with her smile.

• Bowen

October 30, 2015 at 9:09 pm

True she does have semblance with Michelle Obama. If I remember correctly someone spotted it on the Wendy Williams show like 2years ago or there about. Well done Nike God bless your hustle.

9. Bowen

October 30, 2015 at 9:26 pm

10. *curious*

October 31, 2015 at 12:26 am

awww…proud of you mama 🙂

11. polished crown

October 31, 2015 at 3:08 am

Super proud of this girl you are truly an inspiration

12. Tosin

October 31, 2015 at 4:26 am

seen my Mishellllll around the web and I just adore her. Go go superhero!

13. Lonely Girl...

October 31, 2015 at 7:36 am

Aaaw … Singing Aaliyah’s song : ” if at first you don’t succeed, pick yourself up and try again, pick yourself up and try again.” All the best dear.

14. BadBelleEmporium

November 23, 2015 at 6:19 pm

Awww, truly inspiring story. I ffelt her excitement while reading this piece. Keep it up girl! Dont.Ever.Give.Up