News

BellaNaija.com

AMAECHI

On Friday, President Buhari announced that due to financial constraints, there may not be 42 ministers, as was had in the last administration.

According to Punch, Buhari said, “Yes, there used to be 42 ministers, I think we will be lucky if we can have half of that now because we cannot afford it. Others may not be substantive ministers but they will sit in the cabinet because that is what the constitution says and we cannot operate outside the constitution.”

In the aftermath of this statement, some ministers-designate have promised to work for free if Buhari is unable to pay them.

Adebayo Shittu, a legal practitioner and human rights activist, is one of those who expressed this desire. He said:

“It is an issue of national service. There is nothing too much to sacrifice. If that is what our situation in Nigeria demands, then we must put ourselves up selflessly. We cannot say because of selfishness, we cannot work selflessly.With my background as somebody from a very humble family, I know what poverty is and I have been experiencing it. I have been dogged in conforming to the dictates of politics and poverty. There is nothing too much to sacrifice for the service of our people.”

Similarly, Isaac Adewole, a professor stated the following via his aide: “It is a great honour to serve one’s fatherland and I can tell you Prof. Adewole is ready to serve Nigeria without collecting salaries. Everything is not about money. It is a privilege and a great honour to serve. This is what he was doing at his former school. He was paying some teachers employed to complement government’s efforts. He is not driven by money but passion to make positive impact in the nation in whatever capacity.”

Rotimi Amaechi is also said to have expressed willingness to work without salary. His aide stated:

“If he (President Buhari) has not said that he would not pay ministers, the question of whether he (Amaechi) will work for free should not be necessary. We know that we are currently dealing with hard times. For us as a country, we will manage our cost. He (Amaechi) has never run for anything because he is looking for money. His interest is in the development of Nigeria.”

James Ocholi shared similar desires, as he said, “I will not run away from challenges. If the first challenge in the new assignment is to solve the financial crisis of the federation, I will be willing to devote time and attention to solving it before any other national issue.”

1. Kelechi

November 2, 2015 at 12:41 pm

Scam. This politician has succeeded in emotionally blackmailing Nigeria into Stockholm syndrome.

2. Confuzzled

November 2, 2015 at 12:57 pm

How much would their salary be? There’s no such thing as a free lunch so I believe they must get paid if Buhari hopes to disincentivize corruption and abuse of power amongst his cabinet members. I’m trying to stay hopeful because Nigeria is my home. But to be honest I’m not confident our president has a vision for steering the nation out of the tough times we’re in.

Also how can one sit on the cabinet if not a substantive minister? There’s a whole lot of confusion going on. In the 4months it took to assemble his ministerial nominees perhaps Mr. President could have brought up these issues for discussion with the legislature and/or the Nigerian people? I’m just tired.

• Anon

November 2, 2015 at 3:38 pm

Just a thought. Maybe he wants to follow the State Government model where SSAs are part of cabinet meetings. Also, like how there’s no Commissioner, Lands Bureau in Lagos State. The highest post is the Permanent Secretary, Lands Bureau. The Perm Sec is part of cabinet meetings.

Better still, the UK Cabinet Ministry model where the Chief Whip attends (+ others who aren’t Secretaries/Ministers of State) and under Blair, his Director of Communications attended. Currently/since May, BoJo attends even though he’s still the Mayor of London for the next one year and is an MP (won in May) but will take his place once his mayoral role expires.

3. Tkum

November 2, 2015 at 1:16 pm

Hi @Confuzzled, don’t think too much…clearly he doesnt have plans.

However, for this total gibberish been spewed as News, we don enter another one chance with this type of ministers. assif d one wey we bin enter with PMB neva do.

4. Georgina

November 2, 2015 at 1:51 pm

In OBJ’s voice ‘ I siddon dey look’.

5. Kenny jossy

November 2, 2015 at 2:27 pm

Story why them no go work for free, all the money them steal from nigeria go reach to sustain their 10th generation bastards. Any politicians wey steal from nigeria na cancer of the brain go kill them all na my prayer for them be that.

6. jwezee

November 2, 2015 at 2:59 pm

Hmm I see… But during Jonathan regime there was money workers were being paid… So Nigeria is broke is who’s fault? But things are running in full effect in Nigeria. Eg oil, sea port , custom etc

7. FRANCISCA ESHIET

November 2, 2015 at 3:06 pm

this people are very serious minded poeple

8. Anon

November 2, 2015 at 3:24 pm

Indeed!

9. ATL's finest

November 2, 2015 at 4:24 pm

More LIES & BS everyday! I’m so SICK to my stomach with these folks smh

10. FasholasLover

November 2, 2015 at 4:31 pm

Choi. Nigeria is in trouble! Ministers are civil servants kwo? How much is the salary of the most snr. civil servant? The devil is in the allowances and other etc etc. This propaganda should stop pls. Enough already.

Now we are talking. Buhari has never run for anything. So, the man is clueless and just fumbling along.. Talking anyhow. Those two disaster he appointed as media aides are just as clueless too. We go chop propaganda belleful..

BN, where is the post on Senator BB’s twitts on stopping the blame game?

This is change. Embrace it.

11. nene+

November 2, 2015 at 5:02 pm

Working for free whilst government funds your expenses and lifestyle confuses me in Nigeria.
    In case I don’t get it, I would say fair enough cos most of this guy’s can actually pay government!

I congratulate any one who will genuinely work for free.

12. Sadia

November 2, 2015 at 9:15 pm

“Amaechi, Shittu & Other Ministers-Designate Promise to Work for Free if Buhari Can’t Pay Salaries” ALL I CAN SAY IS YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!

13. Benson Ossai