News

Ethiopian Airlines inspires African Women with its 1st Ever All-Female Operated Flight

BellaNaija Weddings

Ethiopian Airlines all female flight

Tomorrow, on November 19 2015, Ethiopian Airlines will make history with its first ever female-only operated flight on the Addis Ababa, Ethiopia – Bangkok, Thailand route.

All female crew and ground staff will be women – from the pilots to cabin crew, from ticketing desks to traffic control.

Ethiopian Airlines-all female flightHere are photos of the pilots that’ll operate the flight.

The company had a reception today where they discussed the milestone news.

The airline’s CEO, Tewolde GebreMariam, said the move is to inspire young female Africans:

“Above all, this is an ample opportunity to inspire young African female students to believe in their dreams and embark to fill the skill gap for Aviation professionals.

Women are the continent’s greatest untapped resources, and hereby fully dedicated to ensure the increase number of women in decision making positions on top of key operational areas by consistently grooming and mentoring successor female employees for top managerial, technical and operational positions.

We invite the whole world to watch our all-female operated long haul flight to and from Bangkok.”

Currently the airline’s staff is 30% women, but with this move, they aim to encourage more females to become aviation professionals.

The airline also added more new mother and parent-friendly resources including a nursing room equipped with modern amenities, comfortable reclining chairs, electronic breast pumps and refrigerators to store breast milk.

We’re elated by this news, and fare them ‘Bon Voyage‘!

1. lifeisbeautiful

November 18, 2015 at 8:46 pm

Good luck ladies! How inspiring. Hope this gets viewed by many young women as these ladies look very young themselves.

• Damilola

November 18, 2015 at 9:18 pm

Ethiopia airlines is one of the best airlines I’ve used. I was quite shocked. Kudos to them. Now, hearing this is another confirmation, don’t underestimate Ethiopia they are progressing.
      To all my habeshas, keep shinning

• Spirit

November 19, 2015 at 9:17 am

It is actually Africa’s most profitable airline.

• MIMI

November 19, 2015 at 9:45 am

i totally agree … Don’t ever underestimate Ethiopia! They are pass that phase of the” 80s” where European media portrayed them as a hunger stricken country! It’s amazing to see their development! Ethiopia’s aviation industry is one of the most reliable in Africa …. if not the only reliable …. and they have years of experience! I flied with this airline a number of time… Therefore it don’t surprise me! I too was in Ethiopia for 3 yrs working …

2. Peaches

November 18, 2015 at 8:47 pm

One thing I know for sure is that Ethiopian women are HOT.. I Love their hair esp that of my friends. With that been said, I’m more of the opposite sex person so I duno about all female crews. From pilots, to cabin crew etc.. Hey Stay pretty & I guess more jobs for d ladies out there.. Way to GO ladies.????????✈️✈️✈️✈️✈️✈️?????#GIRLPOWER#beautiful&sexy#

• Lyon Jasper

November 18, 2015 at 10:19 pm

🙄 Just passing by with full speed

3. Mansa

November 18, 2015 at 8:51 pm

Beautiful ladies we are all proud of you. Fly high ladies

4. mamacita

November 18, 2015 at 9:14 pm

As as aside, I hate this whole feminism thing and how women are taking over everything. Most women make horrible bosses in the long run. Nigerian work places already have their issues, when u now add the wickedness/ inability to separate emotional or home issues and inability to take pressure that most female bosses have -horrible workplace. I am a woman my self and nothing beats a decent male boss. I guess what i’m saying in my almost long epistle is that women taking over the work place makes life horrible for other women. The joke is on us.

• Beht why

November 18, 2015 at 10:41 pm

It’s like You’re not alright!

• Zikky

November 19, 2015 at 2:00 am

I am still trying to pick my mouth up from the floor. I am weak, that a woman thinks like this in 2015 is mind-numbing . Obviously , there’s going to be no reasoning with you, so I will carry myself out of this space Bf I get mad. Smh

• sOLO ACT

November 19, 2015 at 2:20 am

you are right. women are petty and vengeful.. i work with almost all women and they gossip and hate on each other over the smallest things

• Smh

November 19, 2015 at 10:16 am

Zzzz… Men aren’t emotional too? Or they don’t gossip? I was going to clapback but what’s the point. These ones are already programmed to believe they are lesser than men. Goodluck to you & your daughters.

• Yinka

November 19, 2015 at 2:30 am

I think you’re missing the point here. Nothing beats a decent boss, male or female. Male bosses can also be immature, unprofessional, and unable to handle pressure. It’s called being human. We’re all different, and there are exceptional male and female bosses, just as there are terrible ones. I’m sorry your experiences with female bosses have been negative so far, but the plural of anecdote is not data. You can’t generalize from your experience and use that as a basis to prevent progress. What ET is doing here is amazing, and I hope they inspire a lot of young girls and also let them know about alternative careers in aviation apart from pilots.

• Lagos Belle

November 19, 2015 at 10:23 am

What on earth did I just read???

• Damisko

November 19, 2015 at 6:22 pm

I’m not into all this feminism or anti BS. I’m all for women rights. Women are not close to taking over everything maybe in your corner bcos men are still very much in control. And nothing wrong with women stepping up. There are horrible male and female bosses. I believe, horrible male boss dont get as much criticism as a horrible female boss. And we women critic ourselves worst than anyone.

I will say women in power always have this chip on their shoulder though. A way to prove, how powerful and strong they are. They become borderline insensitive to prove how much they are not the “emotional” being. Blame the society, us, we human beings.
      Women naturally react differently to other women in power. Nitpicking to the point of been irrational or illogical.
      Women bring a whole a lot of bad estrogen when dealing with each other. Jealousy becomes their mindset in dealing with other women, all of a sudden their intuition skyrocketed to know what the other woman is capable and not capable of doing, comparing intelligence, beauty, strength, etc sigh
      In conclusion, it’s all about balance. I once had a female boss, and she was awesome. I’ve only heard of horrible female bosses from people. I’ve had both good and horrible male boss.

5. Mabel

November 18, 2015 at 9:36 pm

Too bad I am not able to be on this momentous trip. Simply wonderful.

6. Ides of March

November 18, 2015 at 9:55 pm

Go Ethiopia!!

7. Chichi

November 19, 2015 at 12:38 am

Impressive. Trusting that the sky isn’t the limit for these ladies.

8. ElessarisEllendil

November 19, 2015 at 3:42 am

In all this, nobody has stated the obvious; hoping your daughters are the pilots, not traffic control????

One small step for African women, a giant leap for us all.

9. Nina

November 19, 2015 at 5:13 am

This is a great story but I hope that in their haste to create this all female crew to prove a point, they don’t undermine qualifications. I’m sure these women are very qualified to fly planes but when it comes to this, I’ll take a very experienced pilot any day, whether male or female. I don’t want to be on a flight that is controlled by a fairly inexperienced woman in the name of being on an all female run plane!! Just a thought.

• Cindy

November 19, 2015 at 11:33 am

The way you people reasonn sometimes though. You know there are no unqualified male pilots. Only unqualified female ones. I’m sure if they said all male crew, you wouldn’t have to ask whether they are qualified or not. Mchew!

10. DD

November 19, 2015 at 5:23 am

I love this – inspiring!

11. Olofofo

November 19, 2015 at 7:53 am

Funny enough, i once flew a dana flight from port-harcourt to lagos. The entire cabin crew, including pilots were all women. Don’t think ET is the first to do such but kudos to them.

• Salama Afro ladies Salon Dubai

November 19, 2015 at 3:42 pm

It says Ethiopia’s first – not Nigeria, Kenya, South Africa or elsewhere where this is the norm by now and no longer newsworthy.

12. Fey

November 19, 2015 at 8:22 am

Kudos to my fav airline.

13. Missdodo

November 19, 2015 at 8:47 am

I think this is fantastic. Letting the world know that both genders can thrive in the aviation space is indeed a good thing. Well done ET

14. Silly feminist all over the place

November 19, 2015 at 9:41 am

Has there ever (i mean ever) been an “all male flight” in the history of the world?

Silly feminists take their feminism to another level. Hope the Pilot is experienced sha before she will down the place cos she’s having marital issues or her boyfriend broke up with her b4 embarking on the trip or because she had a quarrel with the co-pilot. hehehe

15. okechukwu ofili

November 19, 2015 at 11:17 am

this is awesome!

16. Cindy

November 19, 2015 at 11:29 am

You are a big ………..in fact make I no talk wetin dey my mind?
    In the early days of planes, yes there were all male flights. That is to answer your dumb question. Gerrarahere mehn!

17. Swizzey

November 19, 2015 at 11:45 am

That’s a lot of oestrogen.

18. Wondimish Negn

November 19, 2015 at 1:14 pm

A paradigm shift milestone for gender stereotyping! Proud to be your brother!!!

19. PH Boy

November 19, 2015 at 3:59 pm

A Nigerian all female flight crew?? Mba!
    And an ex might be on that plane too!
    ……….One chance!

20. GovernorOshi'snexttarget

November 19, 2015 at 5:10 pm

lol, cool feat ET airlines. Two thumbs up for progress.

But ahem, BN fam, you haven’t added the real comment yet but I’ll do it for you. This is where Governor Adams Oshiomole’s next wife will be plucked! hehehe

21. justanothergirl

November 20, 2015 at 5:35 pm

Well done ladies but Kenya Airways has been there done that so many times before
    youtube.com/watch?v=UrYZqLCBPGo#t=334
    Kenya Airways Captain Koki Mutungi made history by being the first female Black African Captain of a Dreamliner. I stand to be correted but I think her first commercial dreamliner flight was also an all femae crew flight

22. justanothergirl

November 20, 2015 at 5:51 pm

Well done ladies
    Kenya Airways has been there done that several times before
    youtube.com/watch?v=UrYZqLCBPGo#t=334
    Kenya Airways Captain Koki Mutungi made history by being the first Black African Female Captain of a Dreamliner. I stand to be corrected but I think her first commercial dreamliner flight was also an all female crew.

If you see my comment twice it means i madeplenty typos in the first one hehe:)

23. OJ

November 23, 2015 at 8:17 am

lets see how far this will go….i definitely expect a lot of in-fighting and back stabbing,