News

Fear Grips Chevron & Shell Nigeria Employees as they are about to Sack 8000 Staff

BellaNaija.com

dreamstime_s_17684802New Telegraph is reporting major layoffs in oil companies Chevron and Shell in Nigeria before the end of 2015.

According to the newspaper, the staff they interviewed are scared for their jobs.

“That is what everybody is talking about here,” a Shell staff said after his anonymity was guaranteed.

“The situation is even worse for some of us who are nontechnical staff,” a Chevron counterpart told the paper.

He continued: “Up till now we do not know how many staff in Nigeria will be affected but we are aware that the list being compiled has a mandate to include about 95 per cent of staff from finance: audit and accounting; human resources, government, public relations and communications among others. The remaining five per cent will make up technical staff, who are due for retirement and those with incriminating memos in their files,” he said.

The paper stated the restructuring is a result of major losses by both companies.

Like Chevron and Shell, other international oil companies (IOCs) at the weekend posted unprecedented losses in the third quarter, which is the worst since the downturn started. The trio of Chevron, Shell and Eni, with heavy assets and production in Nigeria, posted $12 billion losses in three months as their outlooks dimmed.

Photo Credit: Molimar | Dreamstime.com **Photo is a purchased stock image for illustrative purposes only**

1. Shobonge

November 16, 2015 at 5:41 pm

Why does Shell’s website say they are recruiting? SMH

• FasholasLover

November 16, 2015 at 9:46 pm

Shell will always recruit young grads no matter how bad it gets. It is called “growing own timber……..” I encourage young grads to give it a shot!

2. Blessed

November 16, 2015 at 6:21 pm

I scrolled past this story without even bothering to read it, got to the next page but i had to come back to comment not because i wanted to but the Holy Spirit insisted.

I remember when i was in JSS1 so many years back and my dad was laid off work. it was the most “devastating” time for my dad. my mum just put to bed, she wasnt working and we were a young family with growing hungry children. My dad didnt know what to do. He went from place to place looking for any job, at all at all nia bad pass. He didnt find, he will go out in the morning and come back in the evening but they never stopped believing God for his faithfulness.

They kept praying and One night, my mum had a dream. In the dream, someone came to the house to ask for my dad and give him a letter to return to work plus apology sef. Some days later (it might even have been the next day but i am not sure now), someone came and my dad was called back to work.

This story might sound unbelievable. i can even agree with you. when my parents gave thanks in Church, a man that worked and was still working in shell at the time said, “its the first time in the history of shell that he has heard shell called back someone they asked to go” Shell has at different times dropped people but God has been faithful.

What am I saying? In these times of world hardship and despair, this kain story kon join again, its very possible for you to be afraid but FEAR NOT! if anyone wants you to succeed more than anything else, its God. He has the blueprint of your life and His plans towards you are perfect and just. Can you believe him even when mata don fall down yakata? Remember, ALL things work together for the good of those who love the Lord. it may not seem that way looking at it at the moment but Gods word is true and just

One thing I KNOW is that God is no respecter of persons and if you have to be the exception to the rule, then there is no other choice. What ever you want, even though it doesnt exist it will be MADE for you because he loves you!

So if you are affiliated with the above companies or anyone at all, God says, “FEAR NOT” . God bless you.

• nene+

November 16, 2015 at 7:18 pm

Did you say world hardship????? Where??in US that has created more job???? The jobs in USA was last seen in 1987, I work in New York and please no loss of jobs in USA since Obama, UK is same!

Check your facts and let APC stop deceiving you.
      When you take your jobs to Ghana, Togo and neighbouring countries due to daft eco policies you still await magic?
      Ask the banks, they have shut down their fund transfer units with employees in their thousands.
      World eco melt down was last seen in 2008-2010 they have long recovered! Any one who cries no job must be in the Wast without document.

Tune out from APC radio station and watch to CNN. See the Stocks trend. They problem West have is ISIS not jobs dearie!

• Ephi

November 16, 2015 at 7:33 pm

Dear nene+
      Please sometimes just take a moment to think through before rushing to comment. These 2 companies mentioned here (Shell, Chevron) plus other companies in the industry are obviously feeling the impact of the big drop in crude prices.

Not everything is APC vs PDP. Try and look at the big picture from time to time.

There are lots of other fallacies in what you’ve written above but I’m focusing on the crude impact for these 2 coys because it’s what I know.

• Cough cough

November 16, 2015 at 7:59 pm

If you work in New York then I live in the White House. Yimu. You pipu should lie small small nau abi you wan take over lai mohammed’s job

• Opsy

November 16, 2015 at 8:10 pm

@Nene: Too many fallacies Nene, why so angry?

Banks have closed their funds transfer units? Why are you spewing lies all over the place…

You’re quick to blame APC for even your own misfortunes!!!

Move over with your negative vibes please!!!

• Iris

November 16, 2015 at 8:38 pm

What has APC got to do with this? Western Canada’s economy relies heavily on oil. There is hardship. Russia relies on oil. There is hardship. So yes, the hardship is international. Look at the SECTORS in which jobs are being created. Are they in the oil sector?

• lagos is my home

November 16, 2015 at 9:38 pm

Nene was nonsense are you typing …. come and see the loss of jobs in Aberdeen oil sector this year alone . I have at least ten friends that been affected . So APC is responsible for d job losses in the oil sector in Aberdeen

The way some people think . Smh

• The real D

November 17, 2015 at 12:10 am

@nene+, I am glad you have not lost your job. I happen to work in the oil and gas industry in the US, and yes I lost my job. My entire position scrapped. So please, if you are unaware try studying up before commenting. Right now the oil and gas industry is a mess. I am not hungry, thankful for unemployment and my hubby makes enough to pay the bills but yes there are hard times even here in the states and as well as job losses. Especially in the oil and gas industry

• NaijaPikin

November 17, 2015 at 4:39 am

Nene are you sure you are in the US. Everyone is laying off. Oil companies, microsoft, HP, twitter. Macys is closing down stores, so is target and walgreens. Because your job is safe doesn’t mean you should downplay the situation

• Amanda

November 17, 2015 at 7:09 am

You have got to be one of the most risible person on this planet. I have never seen such daft and farcical comment. You always manage to turn every single article to pdp vs apc tussle even when there is no ounce of correlation. I don’t belong to any political party because they are all the same shit different toilet. The massive layoff in the oil industry that has been happening for the past 3 years is a global thing. In the first quarter of this year Schlumberger laid off about 1500 people in North America. My cousin and uncle were one the folks that got laid off. Chevron, Shell, BP, Anadarko, Conoco Phillips, Texaco and so many others have been massively laying people off here in the United States where you claim to reside in. Exxon Mobil, Schlumberger and Chevron used to recruit in large quantity from MIT, Carnegie Melon, USC, Georgia Tech and UCLA. However, they are not doing so anymore due to the global oil market prices. The numbers have dwindled. Ms. I work in New York — Read up on Massive layoffs in the oil drilling and manufacturing industry. The google search engine is free to look that up. Educate yourself and stop displaying your inanity on BN.

• Ceasar

November 17, 2015 at 9:19 am

@Nene! With all due respect I live in the western world and have always had a job, this is because I am young, i.e am attractive to the labour market. I was able to assimilate into the society because of my strong network system and LUCK playing an important role. When U live in the west as an immigrant, u’re already in a disadvantage because alot of factors are playing against you. Language barrier, the color of your skin, age, your level of education or should I say your result not being recognised ( apart from the UK ) they are lots of variables which makes it difficult to break into the labour market. I find your comment disrespectful to all the qualified people who couldn’t find a job because according to you it implies they are lazy. ISIS is not the the only problem in the west, there are really few jobs. Forget about all the lies in the media, because people are been laid off on a daily basis. Companies are moving to China because of low taxation and devaluation of the yaun. Its really tough out here bro.

• Tari

November 17, 2015 at 12:44 pm

Do you always sound this daft or is it an occasional thing?

• Xyzzzz

November 16, 2015 at 7:58 pm

Your story has touched me, I won’t despair. Thanks for putting a smile on my face. Needed this. ??

• nene+

November 16, 2015 at 9:31 pm

@cough cough soothe your self with whatever you think.

Believe you me you belong to those who think America , Israel, Bethlehem, Egypt and London is in Heaven! No darling it’s on Earth and humans breathe there. Humans are also beggers there .
      You know what? broaden your horizon, seek for visa and don’t be bush.

Destitute,wealthy, poor,rich, cleaners, prostitues can be any where and in any city of the world.

Acting bush is a disease. Cure your self ma.

• opsy village girl

November 16, 2015 at 9:41 pm

Opsy why are you embarrassing your self na.
      You have just shown us your imagination of what US is.
      Any body can be there.
      Local girl turn BN commenter.

• Bruno fearce

November 16, 2015 at 9:51 pm

@ ephi the last time I checked Buhari was the petroleum minister. What has he done about the oil price he promised to stablise?

• Opsy

November 17, 2015 at 7:26 pm

@Opsy village girl : So you have no identity of your own?
      Please try to make some sense as you didn’t make any in your last post.
      You and Nene are clearly in the same league.

• Tosin

November 16, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Good time for Shell and Chevron to hire me 😉
      No fear.

• FasholasLover

November 16, 2015 at 10:05 pm

@nene* you will not kiii somborri. Bethlehem fit dey heaven O! When a desperate and wicked soul rule, the people suffer. Pls. where are those whose freezer hv bn working over time since Buhari became President? How market with electricity?

A desperate man will do anything for power including lie, maim and kill. Buhari was a desperate man. He only wanted to redeem his shame of being booted out the first time. It was a case of if baba iyabo can come back as a civilian President, why not me a Northerner born to rule?
      The man had no plan for Nigeria. Which is why he is scrambling around now like a roach sprayed with baygon.

Our chief security officer goes around the world calling Nigerians thieves, inept, corrupt. Pls why will there not be capital flight? Serious businesses see beyond the propaganda and so, they flee. Who suffers? Let the worshippers remain on their knees worshipping. Excuses aplenty.

This is change.

• western gyal

November 16, 2015 at 8:27 pm

Girl my popsy worked for shell ph and this story has been going on since 2003. Nna it became our reality recently but it was more like an early retirement. Popsy had served 30yrs + at less than 60, so shell let him go handsomely. So this news na old old news

• Mz Socially Awkward...

November 19, 2015 at 1:04 am

@Blessed, I know a lot of people (A LOT) going through the reality and fear of redundancies at the moment. Can I just thank you for obeying The Holy Spirit and typing this message of hope? I’m going to excerpt your comment, particularly your last three paragraphs and share with those who need to keep feeding their faith.

God bless you.

3. Answer

November 16, 2015 at 6:27 pm

They need cheaper labour that they can afford to fill the vacuum.

• John

November 16, 2015 at 8:02 pm

@ ephi, if you bothered to digest what nene plus wrote, she mentioned specifically banks, I will like to add insurance, importers, manufacturers, builders, etc
      Overall there has been a huge loss of Jobs since May 2015. Be truthful for once!
      APC sympathisers defending negative policies witnessed in Nigeria will not help us. No blue print for almost seven months is sad.

4. Missatl

November 16, 2015 at 6:38 pm

My dear blessed thank God for his faithfulness to your family. ..ur dad must be a faithful christian otherwis he won’t hv been called back…but bcos God will never leave nor forsake his own. As for them who are not faithful and keep saying God wld understand instead of doing what is right according to his word, let me let u know you hv all cause to be afraid bcos rubber will meet the road one day and we will know who the true worshippers of Jehovah ater!!!!!

• or

November 16, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Ephi keep deceiving your self, construction workers sacked, banks sacked, business folding and departing to Ghana and you are on BN defending.
      Ask an average trader and he will tell you “no market”
      Truth is always bitter, may be you have a job please a lot have lost theirs.
      APC should get started already.

• Odi

November 16, 2015 at 8:45 pm

So which ones aren’t His own na? Did the devil create some people? No be God get all of us? Receive sense.

5. nene+

November 16, 2015 at 6:46 pm

Change is here!
    When an economic disaster rules!
    Unfriendly investment policies!
    Dictatorial CBN policies
    Adeosun a demotion from NOI, I am waiting for her blueprint!
    What I say to Nigerian is fasten your sit belt. Buy kpo kpo garri, peanut, salt.
    GEJ would have sailed thru without these heartbreaking news of massive sack for organisations that never used to sack with supportive policies.
    Breadpaper certificate at work!!!!

Welcome on board this 1983!!!!! Next time when APC promise you 3 million job per annum know it’s the reverse!
    Don’t quote oil price as en excuse, there will always be an excuse for failure!!!

• Busarni

November 16, 2015 at 10:12 pm

@nene; chop kiss jaree; there is always an excuse for failure. I rest my hope in Allah;

• Niola

November 16, 2015 at 11:43 pm

Nene please let’s be logical in our arguments. The decline in oil prices is a global issue and many oil companies globally are making employees redundant .Nigeria is largely impacted because it is an oil dependent economy ;85% of its revenue is earned from oil and of course the leakages in GEJ government is hugely responsible for the current state of the economy. In addition our at the foreign reserve was depleted by the past government as well. The CBN policies are very important at the moment If we are to survive as a nation ,I assume you are writing about the 41 item ban . We are such a consuming nation and import dependent too which is crippling the economy and putting pressure on the naira so the policies will try to mitigate the effect of that. We have to take care of our economy and provide an investment friendly climate before we can invite foreign investors to come and invest. There is a lot of capital flight going at the moment as well. I agree that Buhari ‘s administration should by now have set clear policies so we know where we are headed as a nation but please elections are over so let’s drop this apc vs PDP mantra ; we as Nigerians are only interested in a better Nigeria and we do not care who will lead us to that we tried PDP they failed we are trying apc now of they fail we will go to sdp. Please let us call a spade a spade we are broke at the moment and that hardship was ladened by the past governments .lets move forward . Apologies for any typos in a rush!

• jhennique

November 17, 2015 at 8:25 am

nene are you okay? Morphine does that to people i know. You will be fine

6. hadassah

November 16, 2015 at 7:14 pm

BN, stop reporting sensational headlines. You do way better journalism than this on a good day.This story is unfounded. Shell Nigeria laid off circa 25% of her workforce in Q4 -Q1 2015. There is no such plan to lay off 95% of her work force again – or why would a recruitment exercise be ongoing? By the way, I work for Shell so I’m absolutely sure it’s unfounded based on some internal information i cannot disclose. People would be asked to go over the next year no doubt but no unusual numbers planned. 95%, even 30% is just plainly ridiculous. (alot many people want the “big payoff” by the way)

• Nini

November 16, 2015 at 8:23 pm

Put two and two together. It wasn’t clear at first, but if you had kept on reading, you would have got that the person said 5% of people being let go are gonna be from the technical department, and the rest which is 95% will come from all other departments mentioned above.

7. chy

November 16, 2015 at 7:21 pm

May God see them thru. At least many of dem will get benefits worth millions.

Country hard. Infact I have not had to check price tags dis bad. Prices going up, I don’t even know how xmas will be. Went to d store and even baby d price of baby wipes has gone up. I just had to buy a cheaper brand.

Money I wld use to take care of my daughter I had to use to buy 10litres of fuel for 1500 for generator so d poor child can sleep with all this heat. No light. May God help us all.

Pls I need a better paying job on d mainland, pls any valuable leads will be appreciated

• Tosin

November 16, 2015 at 8:08 pm

Hugs.

8. Anonymous

November 16, 2015 at 8:42 pm

Honestly, Buhari has seriously disappointed me. How is it that there are not set policies on how the economy is going to be run? The only thing he has done since is have a show in the name of appointing ministers (which is even very questionable). Now that the ministers have been inducted, they should formulate policies on their different sectors. Nigeria’s economy has been on a deadlock since the election period. I pray that God gives our leaders the grace to do what is right

• Busarni

November 16, 2015 at 10:21 pm

@anonymous; Haba na; let’s give PMB some time na,. Common sense is not common after all. That is what the daura dullard needs. FDI on the low; capital flights on the high. PMB receive sense in Jesus name….

9. hmmmmmm

November 16, 2015 at 11:26 pm

@Blessed God bless you and your family. Thanks for sharing your story. This story give some many people hope. Thanks again.

10. californiabawlar

November 16, 2015 at 11:29 pm

Chooi! My eyes hurt! I came on here thinking I’d find useful and insightful comments from people in the industry….beht, save one or two with parents that work/worked with Shell, all I find is just a bunch of folks chanting death to Buhari/APC.
    What has Buhari got to do with global oil prices? Someone even boldly cited no loss of jobs in America..lmao…imma screenshot your name so that way I’ll remember to skip any comments you post going forward.
    My company (as with most servicing coys) has fired 70% of all techs and field specialists. At this point only very few majors, maybe only Exxon, hasn’t done any major layoffs. The oil and gas industry is a global and cyclical one…the only remedy/buffer to this is for the Nigerian economy to diversify and not totally depend on oil revenue. BUT even at that, just like bankers and investors may not feel the burn all the way in NY like Texans are right now….the professionals that work in the field will always get laid off during down-turns….that is the gospel according to aiming for oil money.

y’all need to get some edgumication and stop embarrassing yourselves with baseless rants.

• Tari

November 17, 2015 at 12:48 pm

Many thanks for your informed view. This was the sort of comments I came looking for but found juvenile tantrums being thrown by the uninformed.

11. The real D

November 17, 2015 at 12:20 am

For those wanting to work for oil and gas companies, I would advice not right now. Yes , they still hire but only to maintain good relationships and standing with schools and society but they will let you go in a few months. I had worked for one of the big service company for awhile and before I was let go, the same day they fired all the new Engineers they were talking about still bringing in their latest recruits according to them they had to maintain good relationships. They let the new ones go within a month. It really has nothing to do with technical backgrounds too, I was an Engineer when I was let go.

• FasholasLover

November 17, 2015 at 8:26 pm

@ The Real D. Sorry to hear you were let go. However, l can only talk about what l know for sure. We all know the Service companies aka Contractors to the Oil majors fire and hire willy nilly becos, their bread and butter depends on how well the majors are doing.

I will say again that any young grad’ who has what it takes should give Shell a shot if that is what they want/who they desire to work with. If Shell advertises, you can take it to the bank that it is good and as a young grad’ you ain’t going anywhere soon.

12. lafayette bunny

November 17, 2015 at 1:20 am

It’s hard here in the south (Louisiana, Houston etc) . People have been laid off since early on this year . Companies are shutting down production as hydraulic fracking is expensive and the not profitable at this time
    Students don’t even wanna graduate. Oil majors don’t come to hire anymore. It is really bad here in America. So its a global issue and not perculiar to Nigeria. We hoping the oil market rebounds soon. But the projections for the market rebound is mid 2017. So people, let’s cut our cloth to our size.
    BN fam, please let’s have more educative comments and not just pass wrong information or politicize everything.

• californiabawlar

November 17, 2015 at 7:37 am

As in ehn!! It’s sad the amount of inaccuracy being perpetuated here. This makes me wonder how much I can trust comments on here…yeah…I know….but sometimes I actually ‘learn’ a thing or two on BN comment section…especially with regards to new info on what’s going on back home. See as them blame Buhari for O&G layoffs??!! If it was some topic I knew nothing about, I for done gawk am too…dayummm! This thread is so bad, I’m starting to reconsider that GEJ might have actually been a decent president after all….hehehehe.
      I mean no disrespect but some people should just stick to celebrity gossip.

• FasholasLover

November 17, 2015 at 7:33 pm

Worldwide, there is downsizing on a massive scale. That is not to say some coys are not recruiting. The day you sign your employment CONTRACT, you should know it is a “contract “. Either party can terminate it. No one looks forward to a job loss. But a contract is what it is a “CONTRACT” Shikena!

Let us narrow this down to Nigeria. But, Buhari said he will stabilize oil price if elected President? Did he or did he not?

My motto: No matter what, the sun must shine the next day. Strolling away to find me some good food joooor. Ain’t gat no time for juvenile tantrums.

13. Mabel

November 17, 2015 at 1:39 am

Companies and their just before Christmas lay-offs and firings, so damn annoying. What can we do out here but try to live below our means, and save as much as we can.

14. ak nel

November 17, 2015 at 6:11 am

Nene is frustrated…QED

15. Sidekick

November 17, 2015 at 10:17 am

fasholas lover aka nene’s side kick, birds of the same feather gather together hehehehee

• FasholasLover

November 17, 2015 at 7:19 pm

Lol. Side kick on BN?
      Our slave/messenger/errand person, l see you.

16. Aanuolu

November 17, 2015 at 11:08 am

Even exxonmobil is firing, my uncle woke up disturbed last month that going to the office today he must fire like 20pple in his department, so its almost everywhere…………date of our salary payment in my company has changed, i hope God intervene and rescue us

17. Nene may it not be ur portion

November 17, 2015 at 1:21 pm

Do me a Favour, shut up and keep quiet. U know nothing, u just want to prove that u know

18. Pheity

November 17, 2015 at 4:09 pm

This issue is as a result of change in crude oil revenue. Nigeria should stop depending on oil as its only source of revenue and make use of her intelligents minds to source for better. People that blame Buhari and APC are just ignorant, GEJ was there for 4years and failed blatantly. Its jst 6months and people are complaining. U guys should either pray for the country or just rest.

19. Ti

November 18, 2015 at 12:30 am

Tank God ,there’s dis guy I used to know,works for chevron,changes cars like cloths,still lives in a rented apartment in highbrow lekki,didn’t find d rite sense to invest,buy a land,clubs every single day,I guess & I hope he doesn’t get layedr off too,ild say serves him rite,he used to look down on us ,I’ll just say no condition is permanent o,treat pple rite.

• Buhari's Side Chick

November 18, 2015 at 8:36 pm

Kai, ur bad belle no bi here. It stinks. Whatever happened to goodwill to all men.? U now see why e go hard you to progress? Tufiakwa gi.