A lot of the time, women wonder why their skin products aren’t working. You use serums and moisturizers and they seem to never get the job done. Well, chances are your products aren’t working because you have dead skin clogging your pores.
Now, before you grab your phone to book a spa appointment, I have some great news! You can get all the benefits of a spa right at home without the extra hassle. All you need is an exfoliating scrub made from natural ingredients.
Did you know that you can make your own exfoliating scrub at home? Did you also know that all you need are mostly things you can find at home or in a grocery store? Well, if your answers to these questions are “yes” and “oh yes”, then in D’banj’s voice, you know the ‘Koko’.
But if you don’t, this article will show you 3 natural exfoliating scrubs you can make at home that will give you silk-like skin.
Before we get started, you may be wondering why you can’t just buy those over-the-counter scrubs. That’s what you always do right? Well, let me give you some benefits that homemade scrubs have over the over-the-counter scrubs.
1. It’s affordable.
2. Most exfoliating scrubs sold over-the-counter contain harsh chemicals that would leave your skin feeling dry.
3. You can make the scrub with products you already have at home.
4. Homemade scrubs are simple and fun to make so you can enjoy this at the comfort of your home.
So, without further delay, here are 3 scrubs that you will definitely want to try again.
1. Sugar & Banana Magic Scrub
Sugar is a natural glycolic acid which is often used to stimulate the growth of new cells, and remove dead cells from the skin. Mixing the sugar with a banana will give you a non-greasy scrub that will leave your skin feeling amazing.
– 1 cup of sugar (Preferably Brown Sugar)
– 3 brown bananas
How to Make
Cut the brown banana into chunks (brown banana is easy to break down but if you don’t have brown banana, you can use yellow). Mash it into a paste, add the brown sugar and mix in a bowl.
Cleanse your skin and apply this scrub for 3 minutes. Leave the mixture on your body for about 10-15 minutes, then rinse. Apply your favourite moisturizer and voila, your skin would be soft and smooth like a baby’s face.
If you have any left over from the mixture, you can put it in a jar and refrigerate to increase its shelf life.
2. Milky Oatmeal Scrub
This is a ‘recipe’ for a wonderful breakfast and glamorous skin. This scrub is made up of oatmeal which is widely known to be full of anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds. It also soothes the skin and gives quick relief from itching, rashes and other minor skin irritations.
Olive oil is a moisturizer, honey is anti-bacterial agent and it helps in promoting smooth the skin. Milk helps brighten your complexion – so you get multiple effects in one.
– 8 tablespoons of oat
– 2 tablespoons of honey
– 3 tablespoons of olive oil
– 2 tablespoons of whole milk
– 5 capsules of vitamin E Oil
How to Make
First you mix the ingredients in a bowl & stir for 1 minute or till the oats becomes softer (but not too soft). Cleanse your face and then scoop the mixture into your palm and massage into your cleansed skin for 10 minutes. The oat scrub is gentle on the skin so you will enjoy this process. Also, this is good for those with sensitive skin. Rinse the mixture off after 20 minutes.
With this, you enjoy a perfect scrub and a moisturized body.
3. Kinky Salty Scrub
The third wonder exfoliator is the salt scrub. This scrub works wonders mostly for the knees, ankles and other darker areas of the skin with dead skin.
You should note that this is not appropriate for the face (especially for those with sensitive skin) because the salt would be too harsh.
You can use any kind of salt -sea salt, epsom salt, even plain old table salt.
– 3 tablespoons of salt
– 1 tablespoon of almond oil (or any other oil of your choice)
– 1 tablespoon of essential oil such as lavender (optional)
– 3 capsules of vitamin E oil for preservation
How to Make
Mix these ingredients in a bowl, then put it in a jar or a ziplock bag. Scoop out the required quantity and massage into well cleansed skin.
– For longer shelf life, you can refrigerate the mixtures in an airtight jar.
– Because of its all natural ingredients, it is best to use the mixture for only 2-3 weeks.
– The exfoliator can be used 2-3 times a week.
– Avoid using KINKY SALTY scrub on sensitive areas like the face.
– Over exfoliating damages the skin and can even cause breakouts.
– Do not use scrub on damaged, injured or bruised skin.
And that’s it! You can work on better skin while doing your chores or homework or you can switch off your phone, play some soothing music and enjoy a luxurious home spa treatment.
Do you have exfoliating treatments you make at home? Share them with me!