Relationships

Joke Silva Has Got Some of the Best Tips about Marriage!

Adesola Ade-Unuigbe

Joke Silva

Veteran actress Joke Silva had a twitter chat yesterday courtesy of Hear Word.

During the chat she got asked a lot of questions about marriage and she gave some of the best tips ever.

See some of her answers below.

On the pros of marriage: For me the biggest pro is knowing I have someone always in my corner wanting what’s best for me and the kids.

On if there’s anything wrong with the institution of marriage: Definitely not. I think people are just too rose colored spectacles about it.

On marriage being a balanced endeavor: A lot of extraneous forces can Mar a relationship. I say be true to YOU…not mum dad or society. You get mentally and emotionally stronger the older you get… I also feel a healthy attitude to money is important. You build your empire together.

On people having high expectations from marriage: It’s a sense of its all romance and no quarrels that’s unrealistic.

On societal pressure to get married: The pressure from society is enormous but if a woman has that sense of affirmation her life is just as fulfilled.

On why people are so preoccupied with marriage: I guess it’s cause your parents don’t want you to be alone…and it also says you were” brought up well”

On what marriage means to her: It means friendship, loving, fighting.. Laughing, worrying, togetherness.

You can check out more of her answers by going on twitter and using the #HWChat hashtag.

Photo Credit: Instagram – @ajokesilva

1. Tari

November 13, 2015 at 12:29 pm

Please enough of these tips, irrespective of who it is coming from.
    This thing has been talked about from every possible angle.

• Cindy

November 13, 2015 at 12:58 pm

Oh pls shut it! Marriages are failing everyday and you are saying enough of tips on our best to make them work? If you are tired of hearing about it, kindly move along and stop being a mood killer.

• Tari

November 13, 2015 at 2:42 pm

With your uncouth tongue, I wish you well in marriage.
      No amount of tips will save a loose tongue like you.

• Lizzy

November 13, 2015 at 1:32 pm

No one forced you or put a gun to your head to click on the page. If you don’t like a topic you simply skip write-ups on it. It’s that easy.

• jhennique

November 13, 2015 at 3:01 pm

I think you might want to take her advise seriously seeing she has been married twice to the same man for decades and stiill going strong even though – like she admitted – doesnt cook his meals cos she isnt a good cook. Maybe you wanna sit your ass down and learn something boo?

• jhennique

November 13, 2015 at 3:54 pm

*advice

• bummite

December 31, 2015 at 9:37 am

So is business, entrepreneurship and every other issue under the sun. Knowledge is inexhaustible. Maybe the answers are not meant for you. A good marriage may not be your aim. It could be someone else’s aim so stop complaining and skip over whatever does not appeal to you. That’s why BN has different news segments.

2. naana

November 13, 2015 at 12:35 pm

i will take your advice aunt joke.

• ATL's finest

November 13, 2015 at 1:02 pm

Naana thank U.. This is one amazing person I’d like to meet in person. @ Tari marriage isn’t a jjoke esp this Era of ours.. Keep the flame burning Ma’am

• Whocares

November 13, 2015 at 2:38 pm

I was fortunate to meet her when I was a teenager and my mom made me to go a finishing school. Lol. Now if there is anyone I respect in the entertainment industry and I will sit up to listen to what they have to say, it is her. Although I do agree with Tari, I am tayad, BN take just half of a chill pill on this marriage/relationship related things biko. Just half of the pill for now, not the whole pill. Baby steps you see.

3. mamacita

November 13, 2015 at 1:16 pm

@Tari, it amazes me how someone who doesn’t like to hear about marriage will take the time to comment on marriage posts. If u didn’t like to hear about it, you will be ignoring it like you ignore some others.

BTW, I love to hear about marriage from people who have been married long enough.

4. Tosin

November 13, 2015 at 1:48 pm

I know a lot of people feel there’s love in fighting, but that’s not my flavour y’all.
    Mummy J is looking sweet.

5. Idomagirl

November 13, 2015 at 2:35 pm

I like 🙂

6. Finally!Finally

November 13, 2015 at 3:15 pm

People like Mummy J shld give advise not some over bleached somborri and some born today people , not that am saying wot worked for her wld work for everyone but worth listening to!

• Connie

November 13, 2015 at 5:15 pm

I see your shade there. “Over bleached somborri” lol.

7. Vic-Jb

November 13, 2015 at 4:30 pm

#A word is enough for the wise

8. prince

November 13, 2015 at 5:04 pm

True talk. but the pressure is gradually reducing.

9. fabulicious

November 13, 2015 at 5:39 pm

If its to tap from what you don’t know, you people will tap. Now that your elder is giving you free tips that you will tie scarf to sit and listen to in one overcrowded arena or stadium, some people are yarning dust. That is how they will say marriage is overrated but the moment the person finds a man to put a ring on it, they will not just send to BN or Linda Ikeji , they will keep tagging all and sundry on their pictures on IG or become female GARY CHAPMAN overnight .hahahahahaha…Umu nwaanyi, Please some of you should stop lying to yourselves.

10. "Deola

November 13, 2015 at 8:29 pm

Marriage will never be like it was back in the days. Women are increasingly empowered, and while we watch as gender roles change faster than the impact of climate change. Men, once traditionally seen as driven, powerful and muscled are losing out in a more sophisticated world, a world were erotic capital, nuance and multitasking are more important than muscle capital like we had in a hunter gatherer society. As society continues to evolve and as more women are financially empowered, marriage in the sense we know it will eventually disappear.

Men are fast becoming decorative pieces in the household and are no longer useful except as willing tools for donating the ingredients needed in a dough that eventual gets baked. That is the reality of modern day. Men are finding it difficult to cope in modern times and most are giving up in the process. Some are opting to be gays and some are becoming transgender. That is today’s reality.

I am not sure about the marriage tips that does not recognise the realities that ‘men’ have disappears in the economic life of most nations. What we have are same genders competing in a capitalist society. It is just that we are still fixated with what hangs down below and defined as in narrow terms biologically.

• Tosin

November 14, 2015 at 10:18 am

kilzes! kiss.

11. momo karbo.

November 14, 2015 at 2:44 am

Marriage is not a one size fit all proposition. Its just the two people involved that can determine how long a marriage last. The most important thing is that you should know what you want for you and find someone who could reciprocate equally. There’s no expert in marriage. You should be your own expert. One love everyone.