News

Man Accused of Withdrawing N45 Million Erroneously Transferred to His Account Denies Allegations

BellaNaija.com

Jerry

A few days ago, it was reported that a man named Jerry Ogbonna Obike Phillip, withdrew the sum of N45 million said to have been transferred to his account in error.

And now, he is speaking out, stating that the allegations are false.

Jerry took to his Facebook page to set the record straight:

On the Withdrawal of Money Purported to Have Been Wrongly Credited to My Account by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and My Allegedly Being Wanted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)

My attention has been drawn to the falsehood being circulatedon some social and print media platforms with my above photograph claiming that I am wanted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for withdrawing N45 million purported to have been wrongly credited to my account by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).

For the avoidance of doubt,let me state categorically that the deposit was not made in error. The said amount was credited to my account with Diamond Bank Plc in 2012 for a contract I have with the Ministry of Petroleum Resources for the lease of three (3) helicopters from Tunisia for the Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR). The helicopters were former President Umaru Musa Yar’Aduas idea to prevent the DPR from hiring helicopters from the International Oil Companies (IOCs)they were supposed to police.

The N45 million was part payment of the mobilisation for the contract. The full mobilization is N110 million, and a total of N90 million has been paid by the ministry as mobilisation. However,some staff ofthe CBN and the Ministry of Petroleum Resources wanted me to launder the money and share it with them without supplying the helicopters for the stipulated service but I refused, insisting that it was against my principles. Our nation will continue to crawl behind other nations of the world if we all continue to acquiesce to such corrupt propositions and compromise the integrity of such or any contracts.

I am ready to fight whoever is behind these false publications because I have God behind me and no one can defeat me in such a just cause no matter how highly placed.

The money was used to take the officers of the DPR and the Ministry of Petroleum Resources on an inspection visit to Tunisia. Officials of the Civil Aviation authorities also travelled for the inspection of the helicopters with officers of Aero Contractors who were to operate the helicopters.

Also, officials and crew of the Tunisian company, Tunisiavia, visited Nigeria to inspect the facilities here in Nigeria where the helicopters will operate.

The N45 million was used to finance all these inspections and the expenses were foreign exchange dominated. At the end of the successful inspection, I was paid N45 million and a letter to the effect that we successfully completed the first phase of the contract was sent to Fidelity Bank Plc.

In another development, I reported some staff of DPR for asking me for bribe with evidence and EFCC and ICPC took no action. At the end of these inspections, the Ministry of Petroleum Resources was supposed to pay N370 million for the helicopters to be ferried to Nigeria in accordance with the terms of the contract. At this stage they refused to make the payment, hence the current stalemate.

Since this matter is in the Federal High court and International court of arbitration for adjudication, I prefer not to give further details at present beyond what is necessary in response to the current effort to slander me with such false publications.

I am not on the run from the EFCC because they know my office in Abuja and my residence. I have no need to run from anybody but no one can intimidate me. The rule of law must be followed at all times. The truth must prevail over lies. I sacrificed my life for 30 years in the military for this nation and cannot at this stage change my habits at 61.

Jerry Ogbonna

1. Audrey

November 26, 2015 at 11:00 am

Oh Africa! When shall we? Kudos to this patriotic Nigerian. He’s one in a million

2. Idomagirl

November 26, 2015 at 11:17 am

#plottwist

3. zarah oh

November 26, 2015 at 11:17 am

Na wa oh.

4. Jacobs

November 26, 2015 at 11:18 am

Incredible revelation. Time shall tell what happens next as this story unfolds. Awaiting responds from necessary authorities involved on this case.

5. DD

November 26, 2015 at 11:38 am

There are two sides to every story. Glad we are now hearing the other side. Corruption is really a disease in this country :-(.

• AW

November 26, 2015 at 5:41 pm

Actually 3 sides: his side, their side and somewhere in between the truth!

6. kk

November 26, 2015 at 11:41 am

ghen ghen…….. love this guys response 🙂 🙂

7. Oloye

November 26, 2015 at 12:17 pm

The real omo wobes are the ones working for DPR, NNPC, Nipex and other related companies…

I suspected this kinda story….

8. RichyGame

November 26, 2015 at 12:29 pm

I think this man put it as plain as should be. A N45m wrong crediting seemed too much of a tale though banks are not infallible; a similar case of N45k (funny enough, same figures but bastardly lower percentage) wrongly credited ‘in favour’ a close friend in ’08. Apparently, there was a whole lot more to the case.

9. Xristybabes

November 26, 2015 at 12:50 pm

God bless you Sir for coming out to defend your self. itz dishearten how poor masses will suffer for their hard work.May God serve us.

10. BankruptNation

November 26, 2015 at 12:53 pm

Bloggers should exercise restraint in publishing unfounded news before investigating. Nigeria is known for killing good men who challenge the status quo. Corrupt Nigerian officials use instruments of state to fight anybody who exposes their corrupt tendencies. Here’s a country where agents of government squander pensions funds belonging to hardworking Nigerians and nothing happens. Here’s a country where police officers deny widows of their deceased husbands’ pensions and drive them and their children away from their quarters in order to further enrich themselves on the reallocation of those quarters. Here’s a country where whistle blowers wish they were not born than report crimes. Here’s a nation where just men suffer and wicked men rejoice. You’re better off not knowing what goes on in this country for sanity sake. PTS is nothing compared to how you’ll feel thinking about this nation that is so blessed but pauperized by its elites.

11. nunulicious

November 26, 2015 at 2:34 pm

Lobatan!
    me sef I talk am na. How can 45 million be wrongly credited to an account?
    MrJerry, biko please follow this to the very end. and keep us posted so we won’t forget.

12. Josh

November 26, 2015 at 2:35 pm

Nekwa ka million million na-ada! Hian, anyways, if I’ve learnt anything, it is that there are more than two sides to a story. Let’s wait…

13. amaa

November 26, 2015 at 3:20 pm

I no talk am . Apex bank make that kind of mistake .I knoew they were oweing him of course the goat called Efcc will be the instrrument of harassment. The case is in adjudication so why the alarm .but make we look thos thin oh how person wey dey give you contract go pay for site visit. All this back and forth is becaise he didnt settle them .I will be watching closely.

14. Chi-e-z

November 27, 2015 at 3:48 am

Hmmm so he collect wetin them put. I see no wrong on his part either way