News

Photo of Children in Boot of Moving Car Goes Viral

BellaNaija.com

This photo of children in the boot of a moving car hit the Internet today.

According to some social media sources, these children were seen somewhere in Port harcourt, along with the individual driving the car.

SPOTTED

This is a serious case of child endangerment. We’re wondering if any road safety/law enforcement officials saw this at all? Totally unacceptable.

Photo Credit: Twitter

1. lotusflower

November 8, 2015 at 2:43 pm

Really? This is really sad. If that car is hit from behind those children will be crushed almost instantly! Child endangerment in broad daylight.

2. ATL's finest

November 8, 2015 at 3:17 pm

Holly Molly! Don’t even know what to call this. I was hoping this wouldn’t be in Nigeria but oh well ..some are begging God for kids; while some have it & DON’T appreciate it smh.. This is awful

3. Weezy

November 8, 2015 at 3:27 pm

I would question the decency of the person who took this photo. The children are minors covering their faces and they clearly do not want to be photographed. But no matter The Batman of Nigeria doesn’t care, he has a point to make goddamnmit. He will even speed up and take a photo of your parents as well. This is harassment, plain and simple. Great way to cause a car accident.

This is Nigeria – we have a lot of poor people who can certainly not afford to buy a large car with plenty of room. You have no idea who this people are, where they are going or what they are experiencing. While you sit in your fancy car with your nice phone and social media connection, you harass and judge others for trying to get by. No, parents shouldn’t put put kids in the boot of their car. They also shouldn’t ride three people on okada or beat their children (that’s right). We live in a complex society with a lot of inequality and a lot of infrastructural problems – imagine if there was a metro system in each city so 10 members of your family can travel together at a time. Yes, by all means correct people when they are wrong (if you can avoid getting slapped or shot in the process), but you do not get to harass and humiliate them by taking pictures of the entire family and sharing it publicly on social media. It’s wrong. It’s wrong. It’s wrong.

• Weezyina

November 8, 2015 at 5:21 pm

Thank u Weezy for a thoughtful message…abegi help me ask dem whether dey no siddon on top danfo b4 even with policeman infront seat. The oyinbo wey make the car made it for great roads and infrastructure. Believe me with our population our cars if made in naija will have multi-function. THE PROBLEM WITH US IS WE JUDGE AND MEASURE OURSELVES THRU THE EYES OF AN OUTSIDER WHO WILL NEVER I REPEAT NEVER ACCEPT US AS EQUALS! AND I SPEAK WITH THE WISDOM OF SOMEONE WHO HAS LIVED OVER A DECADE (in ignorance)& OVER A DECADE AS WELL IN NAIJA(in ignorance), AS WELL AS A DECADE IN OYINBO LAND(MIND U NOT CHINA).
      THANKS AGAIN WEEZY, 4 D RARE TRUTH RARELY HEARD / EXHIBIT A: OYINBO WILL CONDEMN OUR CHILD MARRIAGE, YET THEY R MOLESTING THEIR CHILDREN & ENSLAVING KIDS IN LABOUR AT A YOUNG AGE BECAUSE IT WORKS FOR THEIR SOCIETAL SYSTEM!!! ABEGI!!! LET IT BE NOTED WE R NOT CONDONING WRONG’ DOINGS’ / WRONG IS WRONG; RIGHT IS RIGHT THE POINT IS MEASURE USING YOUR YARDSTICK…ALL FINGERS R NEVER GOING TO BE [email protected]

• Zukk3i

November 8, 2015 at 5:57 pm

@weezy I was in an accident last Christmas where my car was hit from behind. My 5 year old daughter sitting at the back would have been thrown through the windscreen, if not for the seat belt I always insist she puts on. I question more the decency of ALL the adults in that vehicle that would condone such blatant endangerment of minors while they ride in relative safety. So because this is Nigeria and due to lack of a metro system and basic infrastructure we should now descend to stuffing our children in the trunks of our cars? Couldn’t an alternative arrangement be found ? I suspect that you are one of the people in that car for you to be here ranting about harrasment and humiliation and giving all this justification for their actions. Whatever harassment is nothing compared to the effect that even a minor accident will have on those children. When that happens the parents will come out to blame the devil.

• Weezy

November 8, 2015 at 6:58 pm

I am sorry you cannot understand the nuanced English in my post where I clearly say what the parents dos is not good, but it is hypocritical and completely useless to publicise their identities and shame them.

Its interesting that you accuse me of ranting while you are quick to launch ridiculous attacks like “you are one of them”. Okay then, I suspect you are the reckless idiot who sped after a moving vehicle, your friend hanging out of the passenger side window with no seatbelt probably, snapping camera like princess Diana’s chasers.

• Say what???!

November 8, 2015 at 8:18 pm

Really? Your 5 year old in a seat belt? You clearly have no idea. Chile, she’s supposed to be in a car seat!!! What? Only in Nigeria will you hear ignorant people speaking the loudest. You are too funny with your utter nonsense comment.

• Joy

November 8, 2015 at 8:47 pm

So simply because there is poverty in Nigeria we should justify wrongdoing? Go steal then because you are poor. Please, simply ignore @Weezy. When an accident like cars failing brakes and tragedy strikes, people like him will be the first to blame the parents for putting the kids in the trunk of the car. Please, encourage the parents next time to tie them up on the roof of the car due to lack of space. Go google FAMILY PLANNING Scalywag!

• Zukk3i

November 8, 2015 at 10:20 pm

@saywhat my 5 year old uses a booster seat WITH the seat belt. FYI You can safely switch your child to a booster seat if she’s at least 4 years old and she weighs 22kg or more or has grown too tall for her car seat (when her shoulders are higher than the top set of harness-strap slots in the car seat’s back). Have a nice day.

• Ruqkayah Owolabi

November 8, 2015 at 6:39 pm

I totally agree with you.

• Bruness

November 9, 2015 at 5:35 am

@ weezy would you rather the paparazzi who took this picture take a picture of these kids dead in th trunk? I’m sure you wouldn’t mind shaming them then. Nobody is being judgmental we know that sometimes parents do stuff that endanger kids because of lack of funds and poverty but this is going overboard!!!! If they can afford to buy fuel and put in their car then they can afford to use public transport and probably merge 2 kids to share a space in the bus, we see that all the time. There are million things he could have done rather than do this. Those kids could suffocate or worse could have happened.

• molarah

November 9, 2015 at 9:47 am

I have real issues with your logic. So because the country is hard, we then subject ourselves to dangerous situations just to get by? The same logic behind people sleeping in rooms with generators on: the country is hard and they may steal my set, so let me lock it and sleep while it is running. Doesn’t make sense my dear. What is wrong is wrong.

4. Ada

November 8, 2015 at 3:50 pm

Na wa..

5. onyx

November 8, 2015 at 4:15 pm

Please anyone who can identify those animals riding in the front seat please, please and please name and shame let’s track them and prosecute. What barbarism is this? These are innocent kids and not cattle. Abeg my blood dey boil and the Bini boy in me dey threaten to come out.

6. HOUSE OF ZINO

November 8, 2015 at 5:10 pm

Wow

7. nene

November 8, 2015 at 5:18 pm

The nigerian govt has to put a ban on having more than 2 children. wtf. children littering the whole place with no money or parents to give them love, care and support.

• Joy

November 8, 2015 at 8:40 pm

You took the words right out of my mouth. Why have children you cant carter for. In most cases, we are the architect of our own misfortunes

8. Paul Babalola

November 8, 2015 at 5:19 pm

Nigeria is actually a zoo, I agree with Nnamdi Kanu completely. Good gracious. This won’t even happen in War torn Syria. Radio Biafra is quite correct to label Nigeria a zoo.

9. Ese

November 8, 2015 at 5:31 pm

I’m curious. After the person took the pictures,what happened next? He drove off? Or stopped and demanded the children to be removed from the boot?

10. ESTHER DICKSON

November 12, 2015 at 4:43 pm

all this one is story come to kano state you people will see more than this.