News

Transgender Protesters Confront Caitlyn Jenner & Call her ‘an insult to trans people’

Adesola Ade-Unuigbe

Caitlyn Jenner

Caitlyn Jenner had a rough night last night as she emerged from the Hilton Hotel in Chicago after giving a speech to over 1000 people.

The speech had been about LGBTQ marginalization but when reality TV star Caitlyn Jenner stepped out of the hotel she was attacked by angry protesters waving placards and signs outside the venue.

In a video footage posted on Facebook, Caitlyn can be seen taking to a woman holding up a sign while other people can be heard shouting about being “insulted” and “violated.” In a different video, Jenner is told she’s an “insult to trans people.

On Facebook, a page called “#IAintCait: Protest Caitlyn Jenner’s ‘Miss Representation’ Luncheon” explains the issue protesters had with the event.

According to the page:

“Who, you may ask, did they select to speak on the issues facing trans people and especially trans women in our city? Caitlyn Jenner. Caitlyn Jenner, who lives in a mansion and has a net worth of millions of dollars, while the average trans person has a 41 percent chance of experiencing homelessness [sic] and a nearly 50 percent chance of living off less than $10k per year. Caitlyn Jenner, who said in a segment on her hit new reality TV series I Am Cait, regarding people who rely on social services to get by: ‘You don’t want people to get totally dependent on it. That’s when they get into trouble. ‘Why should I work? You know, I’ve got a few bucks, I’ve got my room paid for.’ If you think Chicago House’s shameless pandering to the trans community for mediocre representation, embodied by a clueless rich white woman who thinks disenfranchised trans women of color should just pluck themselves up off the street and stop being so lazy, is an insult and a disgrace, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! Meet us in the lobby Thursday to tell Chicago House, Caitlyn Jenner, and all her supporters that Caitlyn Jenner doesn’t represent trans people! Stand up and say: #IAintCait!”

Watch the short protest clip below.

Photo Credit: Getty Images/James Devaney/GC Images

1. Marie Antoinette

November 13, 2015 at 11:29 am

Good! I wish I could join the protest. Silly man! NONSENSE!

2. Cindy

November 13, 2015 at 11:29 am

Hihihihihihihihihi??????………… confusion in the camp of the enemy.

3. o

November 13, 2015 at 11:31 am

Yaaay! Thanks BN….*let the comments roll*

• olofofo

November 13, 2015 at 11:34 am

Lol. Mistakenly typed o as my name…i’m so jobless this am lol

4. olofofo

November 13, 2015 at 11:45 am

Let me add this part copied from daily mail lol

And they added: ‘Caitlyn Jenner doesn’t represent trans people!’

The protester who was seen confronting Caitlyn in the video, later said in a public Facebook post that Caitlyn gave her a ‘look of disgust’.
    And she wrote: ‘I support her as trans, but I won’t support her as an act of bravery for transitioning in the public’s eye, while millions are homeless for identifying, dead, or dying because they have to do damn near anything just to find a place to sleep at night.
    ‘Those are the folks that I pray respect and support my direct advocacy for humanity and dignity for all. Everyone can be productive if given a chance and left alone to figure it out.’

I’m so excited about this protest, one will think i’m trans lol. So so good for the she-man #IAmNotStupidCait

• biols

November 13, 2015 at 2:30 pm

u b real olofofo lmaooooooo bella should employ u asap

5. Ano

November 13, 2015 at 11:48 am

lol @ Cindy’s comment. But what do they want her to do. I think the fact she “trans”formed shows great support for their “struggle”. To me it says for me to do this after all my achievements/years in the public eye, it means its not just what people do when they are confused, it should be taken seriously. I think it gave the trans community some credence. Do they now want her to share her wealth (which she acquired mind you, before “transforming” to them or personally take it upon herself to secure houses and jobs for them?) what was the crux of that demonstration really… I smell a rat i.e. haters gon’ hate.

6. Nnechi Spicy

November 13, 2015 at 11:56 am

when trans and trans quarrel about trans misrepresentation who gon settle d quarrel?
    me wey no wan ever be man?

• Ebere

November 14, 2015 at 12:27 am

If you ask me, na who I go ask.The matter wey we see so, e heavy for mouth, if you ask me, na who I go ask!!!!!!!!!!!

7. FHWT

November 13, 2015 at 12:08 pm

8. chi-e-z

November 13, 2015 at 12:09 pm

hmmm there should have been representation for marginalized but this guy has been through it sha from racing glory days to this. I hope you find yourself bruce[what a beautiful name] this caitlyn thing is not really you least not all of you. remember how kids wanted to be like next bruce jenner hmmm -_-

• gurl_wendy

November 13, 2015 at 8:45 pm

Loved this your post by mistake, errmmm, sorry but which kids exactly wanted to be like the next Bruce Jenner???, the guy was always weird from get go.

9. hmmmmmm

November 13, 2015 at 12:27 pm

I do believe protestors have point . Bruce as only been a transgender woman for a minute and he may not face alot of issues the average transgender woman/man faces since Bruce is rich. The organiser could used different speaker such as than transgender Dr Bowers or that actress from orange is new black

10. maamek

November 13, 2015 at 12:57 pm

whether na kaithlyn or bruce jenner…you are still a man and will forever be..nonsense!transgender ko ,transgender ni….#Godiswatchingyou#

11. Kaay

November 13, 2015 at 1:13 pm

chai, this man must have a very tough life. The straights don’t like him, the trans are now beginning to have a problem with him. lol….

12. Nikyy

November 13, 2015 at 1:31 pm

At the end of the day you can’t really please everybody. Are there people out there (transgender or not) who need social assistance? Yes. Are there people out there who take advantage of the system? Yes. The truth is that no one should be encouraged to stay dependent on the system if they are able to work period. Saying that should not be seen as an attack on any minority group.
    Honestly I’ve had enough with all this rich people bashing. She got her wealth by working hard for it way before she came out as transgender. Let’s be honest her “coming out” brought this whole group of people to the center stage, not just in America but the whole world.

13. lad

November 13, 2015 at 2:55 pm

Cat fight! Oya lez go there! *sips my zobo* They prolly hate that she’s getting all the awards and recognition. To think some of them transformed years ago and nothing to show for it!hehehe. Did I just use the word ‘Transform’?Ha, o ga o! Awon alainikan se!

14. Robin

December 9, 2015 at 9:50 am

I i dont get the protest. Strange.

15. Robin