News

YNaija Person of the Year 2015 Nominees Unveiled: Attahiru Jega, Goodluck Jonathan, Rotimi Amaechi, Ibukun Awosika & more

Adesola Ade-Unuigbe

YNaija Person of the Year 2015

The nominees for Y!/YNaija.com Person of the Year 2015 have been announced and the people shortlisted are from all sectors.

The Y!/YNaija.com Person of the Year is in its fifth year and is awarded to the individual who has most visibly influenced the Nigerian society for good in the past year, breaking new boundaries or consolidating on gains – and driving the advancement of the public, especially young people.

The nominees for 2015 are:

Bunmi Akinyemiju and Kunmi Demuren, business
Aisha Jummai Al-Hassan, politics
Rotimi Chibuike Amaechi, politics
Ibukun Awosika, business
Attahiru Jega, public service
Goodluck Jonathan, public service
David Oyedepo, education
Simdul Shagaya, technology
Bola Ahmed Tinubu, politics
Josephine Ugwu, citizens

The shortlist was announced following the decision of editors as well as feedback from readers and social media audiences.

For the first edition in 2011 there was no winner. The 2012 winner was entrepreneur and Africa’s richest man, Aliko Dangote. The 2013 winner was tech industry trailblazer, Jason Njoku and the 2014 winner was Obiageli Ezekwesili for championing active citizenship and entrenching the idea of the ‘Office of the Citizen’.

Voting commences today, Friday, 20 November and closes after a month on Sunday, 20 December.

1. Great Lady

November 20, 2015 at 10:35 am

Rotimi Amaechi ke? He’s name is not supposed to be on this list.

• hmm

November 20, 2015 at 11:00 am

My dear dont mind them. I guess it is because of his closeness to Debola (he even sponsored his birthday). It is such a shame because i used to think ynaija was credible. If you ever visit Rivers, ask the citizens questions and you will know why Amaechi doesn’t deserve to be on that list

2. Jymco

November 20, 2015 at 11:01 am

Tight list BUT Prof. Jega stands out….

3. Busarni

November 20, 2015 at 11:20 am

Debola has really lost my respect; Amaechi???? In naija, awards na padipadi.

4. Tari

November 20, 2015 at 11:40 am

These Ynaija boys and their runs.
    Only God know the blood oath wey una swear with Amaechi.
    Debola and Chude, I pity those who ever looked up to you.
    When I talk they will say I am a pessimist and too suspicious of others. Unfortunately I am mostly right.
    All these social media noise makers are just hustlers.

5. Taipan

November 20, 2015 at 12:01 pm

What did Ameachi did to be in this list???????????????????? ok sorry I 4got may be the looted Rivers funds oiled their mouth ……………I give it to GEJ for conceding defeat which kept the unity as one nation ……your opinion might differ so plzzzzzz don’t hate

6. Nkechi

November 20, 2015 at 12:45 pm

I think its either Jega or Ibukun Awosika. One of the two should have my vote!

• Tari

November 20, 2015 at 2:08 pm

I would have wanted Mrs. Awosika but it is on her watch that 1st bank concealed funds meant for TSA. Irrespective of your view on TSA, that is fraud and should be a crime worth sacking the entire board.

My views on GEJ are clear and unambiguous but the way he handled himself during and after the election is worthy of the accolade.
      GEJ is my choice but I think Jega would be another good choice. He did a good job and conducted himself with dignity (eat your heart out, Orubebe!)

7. Jay

November 20, 2015 at 1:05 pm

I’m confused, I thought this was a youth award with an age limit of 30 or was it 32? Has that changed?

• ATL's finest

November 20, 2015 at 3:15 pm

@ Jay lmao ok.. All na business & runs.. Smh I bet age no get limit again

• Kachi

November 20, 2015 at 4:06 pm

Effortlessly stupid, ain’t you? Because you see no diffetence between YNaija Person of the Year and The Future Awards? Oloro people like you never learn because you’re always looking for who to attack

8. Adekola tiamiyu