Relationships

Adaeze Yobo lauds mum for her Reaction to John Fashanu’s Bad Press

Adesola Ade-Unuigbe

Abigail Fashanu (middle) with daughters Adaeze and Oby

Abigail Fashanu (middle) with daughters Adaeze and Oby

In a #FlashbackFriday post, Adaeze Yobo heaped praises on her mum Abigail who was married to ex-footballer John Fashanu.

John Fashanu and Abigail had quite the  marriage with a lot of it played out it the media.

Sharing her thoughts on the whole debacle, Adaeze wrote on Instagram:

“#fbf mum’s first mag. cover. So many memories came to my mind when i saw this pic. I would have to write a book about you someday cos your life is a big testimony.
This woman gave us everything but her life only cos jesus already did that for us. God loves me so much that he made sure I came to this world through you. You are the reason why I have such a healthy self esteem. I’ve watched you even in difficult times, no yu never flinch, ive watched you enter places that were difficult to enter with nothing but your faith. “A greater one lives in me” is what you always say. I remember few months ago when a friend of mine sent me a link to what your ex wrote about you in the papers out of nowhere in u.k. you were out shopping, cos you were getting ready to travel bk and get to work after months of omugwo. I was so mad, i called to tell you and you were so shocked but surprisingly, you said “what is oby’s U.S shoe size”? I was so mad and shocked that the Mr. British scammer tout we let you marry had found a girlfriend and instead of him to just waka peacefully he went to U.K media to say all sorts. I remember I shouted “Mummy im telling you that this idiot you married is talking shit about you and you are here asking for oby’s shoe size? And you said “give me oby shoe size nwam needi shoes now”. And then you said “my God never allows any sudden bad news except if it is for a reason and I’m up all night communicating with him (she is literally up every night to pray) so I’m sure he already took care of it so no need for me to rush and read what I can’t do much about. So, nyem Oby’s shoe size”. I was calm but still mad, i wanted fire, proof, anything that cld nail him and show what a liar he is. I guess my hormones from post pregy Took its toll on me. You calmed me down and asked me to focus on myself. You still came bk from shopping and cooked your last omugwo food (ukwa) while I read what he said in the newspaper to you. Abigail, you are the best human on earth. I’m writting this here cos I know you stalk me here and on every blog every single day.  i love you baby girl. Your good deeds are showing on your face… #thankyouforintroducingmetoyourGod

1. Tina

December 5, 2015 at 8:47 am

She should have kept quite about the whole thing.

2. beauty

December 5, 2015 at 11:21 am

I sense a lot of aggressive pride in Adaeze from her dialogue with her mum in this write up, not healthy self esteem…

• Surely

December 6, 2015 at 11:48 am

Aggressive pride? As opposed to passive shame or “keep quiet and leave it” as the moron on top has suggested.
      She is standing up for her mother and lauding her for her strength in the matter and you’re psychoanalyzing with your UniCal pseudo-intellectual background. You think it’s easy for you to watch your mother being dragged in the mud by a man who promised to love and protect her forever before God and man??? Not everyone is going to keep quiet forever. Some people are bold enough to speak up and that does not make them proud. You are ridiculous.

Honestly I don’t know why the Nigerian way of reasoning is just fundamentally f***ed up! I just don’t know.

• Laura

December 7, 2015 at 3:11 pm

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the story

• imustdropacomment

December 8, 2015 at 12:48 pm

language pls

3. Tari

December 5, 2015 at 11:44 am

Often lack of self-awareness is deep enough to be considered psychiatric issues.
    What was this girl thinking?
    This is akin to opening a Pandora box that is better left closed.

• Californiabawlar

December 5, 2015 at 12:42 pm

Omg!! As in! Every. Single. Word. will be taken apart….oooo chile!! somebody is about to have a very rough weekend!
      Whistling “…when trouble sleep, yanga go wake am” to myself as I fall asleep….
      Peace out!

• Surely

December 6, 2015 at 11:49 am

Do you know what psychiatric means? Try again ok? #failure

4. 1 + The One

December 5, 2015 at 11:47 am

Well done for speaking up for your mum!

5. Lilo

December 5, 2015 at 12:22 pm

Lol….what do Joseph yobo and John Fashanu have in common? My lips are sealed o

6. Ebere

December 5, 2015 at 1:48 pm

It’s her mum we are talking about here!!!When you mum/dad have done so much for you, you wouldn’t want to see them cry or suffer.Good job Adaeze for standing u for your mum….#FamilyFirst#

7. Anon

December 5, 2015 at 3:09 pm

These made me grimace –
    “Abigail, you are the best human on earth.”
    “i love you baby girl.”

It belongs to the school of “when you think you are age mates with your mother!”

• Anon2

December 6, 2015 at 1:49 pm

Irrelevant contribution

• Anon

December 6, 2015 at 8:11 pm

Dunce, where’s yours? Too dim to contribute anything. Go further down and read Nne, The Realist and Felly’s contributions. Hope you get enlightened and grow some manners for your Mother.

8. Nik

December 5, 2015 at 3:43 pm

I commend you for this write up. One who does not have a healthy relationship with their mother would not relate. I am glad your mother kept mute and handed it to God. I am glad she believes in a higher power. I am glad she taught you to believe too. People are quick to throw stones and barbs on social media. “i sense pride, she should have kept quiet, what was she thinking? etc” First and foremost, she did not release this to any newspaper, she made a tribute to her mother, a tribute for crying out loud on her PERSONAL page, and this was lifted and copied to bellanaija. A positive tribute to one who has played a positive impact in her life. Its a shame and terrible thing when our naija society has turned into “quick to condemn and bash someone” for making a tribute to a parent, or is it because she is a Adaeze Yobo that you have chosen to take her tribute in a negative light? What if it was a random person you never read of or heard of online?

I dont know you Adaeze but I applaud you for this. I can relate to you wanting your mother to get up and fight and defend cos I have been in that situation where i want my loved ones to stand up and defend themselves or i stand up to fight and defend them when they keep quiet. I can totally relate. I dont know your mother but reading this made me relate cos of the relationship with my own parents. I dont know your ex step dad except for media reports but the truth remains, anyone who is quick to air dirty laundry of any past relationship in the media is immature. All the “he said, she said” of a bad relationship should just be left where it is–In the past. Move on and let it go. There is no bad or ended relationship that ends based on one person. There are two people involved. two people that share the blames. for two to agree to stay together, they must agree, therefore, for them to agree to break up, there is an agreement too, so two parties, two blames. The more you bash your partner or ex partner to the public, it really speaks more about you than the partner you are bashing. Even after you have found a new partner and you are still bashing the old in the media……two things are involved. You are the one with the problem.

Like your mom said, leave God to fight the battle for her. It takes wisdom for her to be able to decide not to let such negative news ruin her shopping or her trip. It takes growth, maturity and wisdom. Trust me, she hurts nevertheless, but she is trying to hold on and be strong not just for herself but for her kids, and I am glad you learned from that experience.

there are various proverbs that hints on silence being golden. I f she had fought and cried out when she should have been silent, she would have just given credit to the instigator of the negative news. Once again, I applaud your mother for taking the high road.

• thomas Crown

December 5, 2015 at 10:12 pm

Well -…….she is in the public eye. So she should have learnt her lesson already. I think she is a dull bimbo

9. nnenne

December 5, 2015 at 4:24 pm

Sometimes you need to open up, clear your home, for the healing process to begin.
    So, I hear you Adaeze!!
    Life is never easy for the African woman! That’s why we are so strong.

My prayer is that all involved will find divine healing and the grace to move on.

10. JEGAism

December 5, 2015 at 5:19 pm

If you want to celebrate your mum, write a poem, buy her a house, pray for her, sing praises of her but for gods sake don’t drag John Fashanu’s name into it. Girl! I hate to say this but you just stooped to Johns level. Let people call him names on your mums behalf. Take your personal business away from social media you hear!! Ozugo

11. semesee

December 5, 2015 at 6:58 pm

Mrs Adaeze, ever heard of the saying “silence is golden”.

12. thomas Crown

December 5, 2015 at 10:08 pm

this is one silly little girl. Airing your dirty laundry in public,…While your husband is PLOUGHING the FIELDS and SCATTERING !!!

• Surely

December 6, 2015 at 11:52 am

It is not her dirty laundry. In JF trying to air her mother’s clean lingerie, he came out naked and Adaeze is just pointing him out.

You guys just hate to see outspoken women. Too late.

• Rme

December 6, 2015 at 4:16 pm

And can you stop jumping on everyone’s comments. “Surely” you’ve got better things to do with your time than online policing. Sheesh

• Tari

December 6, 2015 at 4:26 pm

Clean lingerie????
      No dey talk wetin you no know o.

13. Nne

December 5, 2015 at 10:38 pm

As an aside i think Oby is the prettiest and sweetest looking of this lot.

This issue was laid to rest ages ago. Why do ppl live the most intimate parts of their lives in front of everyone and think it’s okay? Abigail getting married to this man was a disaster everyone was waiting to happen. When a daughter no matter how old she is refers to her mom as baby girl then something is terribly wrong. It is beginning to dawn on me that most ppl in Nigeria really think of themselves way more highly than they are. Whatever happened to polite society and decorum?

14. TheRealist

December 5, 2015 at 11:25 pm

15. Felly

December 6, 2015 at 4:02 am

Why shld she talk about a matter that has been laid to rest. This marriage was doomed from the beginning. Ladies ur mom is not a baby girl its very inappropriate. Everyone has forgotten about this situation she shouldn’t have brought it up. The matter has been laid to rest. Ppl in nija really think of themselves way too highly than they are…b nauja stop deleting posts it’s very rude.

16. Manny

December 7, 2015 at 6:37 pm

It’s nobody’s business if she calls her mom baby girl. You people shouldn’t use your relationships with your parents as a yardstick for all parent-child relationships.
    Adaeze’s mum is blessed to have such a supportive daughter and really I understand the need to defend her mom on social media especially as she was crucified on this same social media.