Style

Denola Grey: Cross Over to 2016 in Style! 3 Outfit Ideas for the Stylish Gents

Denola Grey for BellaNaiaja - BellaNaija - December 20150012

You thought I was going to let the year-end without a final word? Sorry, I’ve been silent for so long, it has truly been a crazy, yet fulfilling year.

I also want to say how proud I am of most of you for stepping your style game up! Lately I’ve been seeing less unfortunate outfits and seeing more men stepping out in style with confidence. And I’m hoping that spills into 2016.

If you are reading this it’s New Years Eve, and based on my experience, there will be loads of events happening tonight. Some of you might have ideas on what to wear, but chances are most of you have probably been trying to figure out the directions your outfits should take, and that is why I am here.

I’m sure we all want to step into the New Year in style – so here are some outfit ideas for New Year’s Eve and the New Year.

Enjoy!

1. Light Layers Are A Plus

Denola Grey for BellaNaiaja - BellaNaija - December 2015004

In this outfit, I paired my silk Orange Culture tunic with a royal purple shirt. I added gold accents on my collar tips and wrist for a regal flare. Then I opted for velvet purple shoes to seal up the semi casual suave look.

Because of the generally warm weather across the continent, many may not want to layer up. Pairing cotton with light silk is my trick to layering in warm weather. It’s in concordance with the trend to layer during the “Ember holidays” , but it’s also functional in that you don’t overheat in the process!

Denola Grey for BellaNaiaja - BellaNaija - December 2015 Denola Grey for BellaNaiaja - BellaNaija - December 2015001

2. Christmas might be over, but a little color never hurt

Denola Grey for BellaNaiaja - BellaNaija - December 2015009

In the first few days of January, I imagine there will be a lot of day parties, brunches and barbecues to attend. Why not up-the-ante by adding some color to your look?

What I did was throw a coral blazer on an all white look and I added a pair of complimentary cloth loafers which are, for all intent and purpose, quite casual. This look is also perfect for church on New Year’s day and for any event after that to be perfectly honest. Try it out! 2016 should be about taking fashion risks folks, so make sure you put your personal spin on it.

Denola Grey for BellaNaiaja - BellaNaija - December 2015006 Denola Grey for BellaNaiaja - BellaNaija - December 20150010

3. Rich Colors will always speak volumes

Denola Grey for BellaNaiaja - BellaNaija - December 20150015

For those of you going glam tonight; be it a New Year’s Eve soiree, ball or any other formal event, opt for the royal colors. For the sake of this article, the ‘royal colors’ I used were midnight blue and royal purple. In the spirit of the holidays, I figured a little bling wouldn’t hurt hence the beaded and sequined tie.

Walk into the room with the confidence of a king and watch everyone be in awe.

Denola Grey for BellaNaiaja - BellaNaija - December 20150018 Denola Grey for BellaNaiaja - BellaNaija - December 20150016

Okay, I have kept you guys long enough. I will be back in 2016 to keep sharing tips with you all. Let me know what you think about these outfit choices. Sound off in the comments below. Till then, go out, be merry and have a very HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Photo Credits
Photography: Demi Banwo
Creative Direction: Denola Grey
Styling Assistant: Anjola Ogunmefun
Shoot Location: Iamisigo Showroom, Victoria Island, Lagos

Denola Grey is a media content generator. Denola Grey started his blog, www.denolagrey.com in June 2014. It consists of his thoughts, personal experiences, and style choices as he navigates his way through life. Denola has worked at PR Consulting New York and a fashion journalist for Genevieve. Denola alternates between working on his blog and other freelance projects.

1. Sylvia

December 31, 2015 at 11:28 am

Something is not right.

2. Glo

December 31, 2015 at 11:59 am

Dunno why but anytime i see his pictures i get the urge to ruffle his hair or rumple his tie or shirt… lol

3. chincobee

December 31, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Pictures are sooooo clean….Lovely

4. ElessarisElendil

December 31, 2015 at 12:26 pm

Spill coffee over his perfectly starched shirts??Thought I was the only one. I’m disappointed in me?

5. ElessarisElendil

December 31, 2015 at 12:27 pm

Well as m guy Nabania once said “better soup nah money kill ahm”.

6. King Bey

December 31, 2015 at 1:26 pm

Bro thankGod you are nt wearing an ill fitting Jacket,I would have asked u to return it to its rightful owner

7. Okada man

December 31, 2015 at 2:40 pm

That tiee! Gimme naw plssss!!!

8. nne

December 31, 2015 at 3:22 pm

I know i am not the audience for these style pieces, so i just did a scroll through the pics and i just love the background. Where are the pics taken? I love the tree with the basket- great idea. Ps. nna Denola, you are one handsome man. Carry go jor, more grease to your hustle.

9. whocares

December 31, 2015 at 3:53 pm

That first picture.. I see him in a sci fi movie. Someone tell me they see it too. I do like his style, but I wont lie, I don’t like my men to be too stylish (it comes from an innate need to want to be always, always more fashionable than whichever man I am with.. a pulzon cannot do that with him na. So I will not be directing potential baes to emulate his style. lol) . He is too put together and that is not a crime, it just shows how crass I am that I want him a bit mused eh? That pattern in his hair is like a carpenter measured it before the barber cut it.lool. I would like to see what he looks like in a different light. He even makes t-shirts and jeans look serious abercrombie and Fitch. YES that is the description I was looking for. Regardless, you cannot deny, he has style and a good eye for picking out very interesting pieces. and putting them together. I would actually wear everything he has on – differently of course but that is how much I love it., It does help that he is easy on the eye too.

• mz_danielz

January 2, 2016 at 3:19 am

I agree dear, it’s just doesn’t feel right to be with a guy who has to be too stylish with no ruffles on his shirt and all.

10. Californiabawlar

December 31, 2015 at 5:17 pm

Lol…cool pictures…if I were a guy I’d actually try to incorporate a few of the the elements into my wardrobe. Howeves all I got from the bio is that Denola doesn’t have a job….he once had really good jobs but right now, he doesn’t have a job. Lol. Wishing you a lot more financial stability in the new year!

• whocares

December 31, 2015 at 5:46 pm

LMAOOOOOOOOOOO. It’s a good thing I don’t actually know you. lmaoooo. My friends tell me there is a mansion waiting for me in hell cos of some of the things I say.. if you were in the equation that mansion would change to palace instantly. loool.. I didnt even peep the bio. lool

• Californiabawlar

January 1, 2016 at 10:10 am

? Haha! we need to do better and be nicer in 2016.

11. Gorgeous

December 31, 2015 at 6:20 pm

He’s quite beautiful for a man.

12. gbemi

December 31, 2015 at 6:30 pm

he is all shades of fynnnnnnn………nd stylish too..hmmm

13. meeee

December 31, 2015 at 7:19 pm

Denola is bae for years

14. Marc Francis of Chelsea

December 31, 2015 at 7:31 pm

Actually he’s not jobless. This bio is probably old because he’s on a couple of tv shows and hosts lots of red carpet things.

Nice photos.

15. Tari

December 31, 2015 at 8:31 pm

This lad is very well groomed and handsome for days.
    His fashion is a bit too fuzzy for my liking but that has to do with age.
    I might have no interest in his fashion but I love his attention to detailed grooming and I hope his passion continually makes a way for him.