Music

Etcetera is not here for Asa’s Collaboration with Korede Bello & Naeto C | Says “Your collabos are getting dumber by the day”

Adesola Ade-Unuigbe

imageEx-musician turned writer, Etcetera has published a new article where he calls out music star Asa for some of her collaborations – especially the ones with Korede Bello and Naeto C.

Read his article below:

I walked into the music preview room at the radio station and I saw one of our sound engineers previewing Naeto C’s songs before uploading it into the station’s new digital library for airplay, I immediately walked out of the room because I wasn’t ready to activate my anger mode by putting myself through another experience of listening to another Nigerian rap song with shallow and crappy lines of which Naeto C is the culprit-in-chief, only to walk into the transmitting room and heard the presenter on duty introducing ‘Share my Blessing’ by Naeto C and Asa, as the next song on the play list. I have to admit that this time around, I wasn’t too eager to make a dash for the door. Maybe because I heard Asa was on the song and thought that it would have at least inspired Naeto C to use better and more inspiring rhymes. Hope is a very dangerous thing. It turned out that I hoped for too much. The first line of the song almost pulled off my knee cap. It is the most fatal accident I have had till date. I almost died when I heard “what a conundrum” within the first few lines. What Conundrum? Like seriously? Bros Naeto, the only thing close to a conundrum in the whole song was how you convinced Asa to feature in the song. That song has some of the dumbest lines ever used in the history of rap music worldwide. As I sat there gasping for air, I tried consoling myself that every artist is allowed one mistake in a career lifespan and ‘Share my Blessing’ is a mistake that won’t happen again. But on a second thought, I asked myself, didn’t Asa or her manager Janet, hear Naeto C’s lines before accepting to feature on the song? I would have Usain-Bolted out of that studio, screaming ‘tufiakwa gi’ and snapping my fingers as I rid myself of all the phloem in my system. Asa apparently hasn’t learnt her lessons. Her latest collabo with Korede Bello is another career mistake that shouldn’t have happened. The lightening has struck twice. Korede Bello and Asa have succeeded where others have failed. Koredo Bello and Asa have succeeded in taking every crappy song from the past decade in Nigeria and mashed them into a musical abomination; add that to the level of auto-tune on Korede’s voice; which sounds like T-Pain after he’s slammed his testicles in a car door. Ironically, slamming my own testicles in a car door is something I would rather do than listen to this song again. Sadly, the fiasco with Naeto C now looks like a piece of art compared to this song with Korede Bello. This is a whole new grade of crime against music. Asa, how do you explain this to your fans? I have searched for justification even from a musician’s perspective and found none. The whole song comes out childish and guess Korede knows it too, which explains why he had to sing it to us as the first line that he is no longer a child. Korede has proved conclusively with this song that there are two things a Nigerian youth can’t do: play music and feign humility. Titling your song, “Somebody Great”, and blabbing all through the song about “Somebody wey dey spray millions and somebody wey go save billions” is that what defines greatness? Spraying of millions? What are you doing to yourself Asa? How did you get yourself involved in this song? Why did you do this to your fans? I won’t be surprised to hear that the sound engineer that mixed this song is deaf. That you couldn’t hear that the whole song is drenched in reverb is unbelievable. For God’s sake, the presence in the song is very disturbing to the ears. And what is that thing that sounds like someone striking a pot cover with “ewedu” broom? Please don’t tell me that it is the crash or the hi-hats. Please sir, can you take back your mix and reduce the shakers. Damn it, take back your mix and keep it to yourself. Asa, I swear you no try at all. The only excuse that would probably make some sense to me now is if I am told that you guys were just trying to create something for the current generation but instead of a smooth-rocking guitar classic, you have instead created this audible shit. Yes, this song is literally shit that you can hear. It is the worst song from Asa that I have had the displeasure of listening. Unfortunately though, for some inexplicable reason, some people are actually going to play it and like it and start insulting Etcetera like he is the reason the song is rubbish. Please, the excuse that Asa was not involved in this collaboration with Korede Bello; that Don Jazzy recorded her freestyle and used on the song, is not going to hold any water here. Nobody does that in this age and time knowing the ramification. And until Don Jazzy is called out by Asa’s management, I will assume the freestyle story is just another industry lie and that “Somebody Great” is a well thought out and planned collaboration between Asa and Korede Bello. Until then, trying to water down Asa’s involvement in this song will be a blatant in-your-face insult to her fans as much as tweaking the synthesizer at the beginning of the song to give it a rock guitar feel is a blatant in-your-face insulting to all guitarists out there.

1. Someonecute

December 5, 2015 at 9:32 am

BN I like how you regard him as an ex-musician. I wonder what happened to his music career. Now let me see if I have time to read his article. Will come back to give my tots

• Bola

December 5, 2015 at 10:57 am

This guy needs to shut up and work on reviving his dead career, Asa is not in his league and she certainly does not need advice about her music from a failed musician like him.

2. Truth

December 5, 2015 at 9:35 am

Dude, if Boko Haram bomb your dead career, it won’t blow. Stop hating,These people are still around because they have people who enjoy their music. Etc is an egotistical asswipe.

• Idomagirl

December 5, 2015 at 2:27 pm

??????

3. californiabawlar

December 5, 2015 at 10:00 am

Ahn Ahn!! I like Naeto C and Asa’s song now!! I still play it on road trips sef!! Plus it’s always a hit with my travel buddies (from different backgrounds too)…Ogberan I don’t know what you’re saying o.

Now Asa and Korede? …even typing that felt weird. No, Asa shouldn’t have….why? Just because.

Can you imagine? Korede that we’ve never heard his real voice without Don Jazzys heavy handed dollops of auto-tune…I can’t imagine what Mr Jazzy has concocted on that track now….I bet that man cries in autotune sef…he will produce song and all of them will be sounding like egbere/busy babies…tufia!

Korede is cute and all o, but no tainting Asa for us abeg.

• Bola

December 5, 2015 at 11:03 am

@californiabawlar, i mistakenly liked your comment. while i agree with the first half i disagree with the 2nd. Some of the best duets of all time are the most unlikely parings. Let’s hear the song with Korede first before talking, Asa has amazing standards and i am sure she won’t release anything that is not sound. Who knows, this may be the time Korede Bello’s beautiful unadulterated voice will be unveiled.

• Californiabawlar

December 5, 2015 at 12:33 pm

My apologies for the like, oya I haff given you your like back…take one like! lol.

About the song, don’t mind me o. If it’s not good, shebi I won’t listen to it naa ni. It’s just that I agree that for an artist of Asa’s pedigree…I’m hoping she did her homework on what Korede can bring to the table before doing the collaboration. That or she’s looking for a cheap club banger…and for that one, I can’t judge her. That’s Don Jazzy’s forte.

Meanwhile, Dessy baby I see the shade…”Former musician”
      My question is this: how many unsolicited articles does an out of luck/work musician have to write about his colleagues before he earns the official ‘former’ title?
      I think we have given Mr. Ati beebeelo a long rope to pull….hey boo, it’s official!

• Halimat

December 7, 2015 at 4:46 am

lol, thats how some of these commentors will have you liking their comments before you finish reading which by that time its too late. I’ve been asking bellanaija to create unlove buttons because there are some love it moments I sincerely wish I could take back

4. dee

December 5, 2015 at 10:55 am

Hahahahahahahahahaha! This article is hilarious! The most fatal accident I’ve ever had! Classic!

• amaa

December 5, 2015 at 11:44 am

This is the first time I am actually agreeing with This big mouth. he is right even if i don’t agree with the choice of words . ASA you are killing your music career STOP it right now . You dont need to do all this we accept you and your music the depth of your music is what draws us to you. I can just picture a collab between Celine Dion and Tpain that will be death.

5. June

December 5, 2015 at 11:03 am

Unfortunately, the truth is a bitter pill to bear. Asa is still lauded today but the fact is her career isn’t exactly on the up and up now. New album and all.
    Etcetera does tell a lot of truths, its just easy for Nigeria’s online sphere to pin it down as hating. It’s not, it is the sad truth. Asa could have, should have said NO

6. Bee

December 5, 2015 at 11:30 am

i Love did guy coz his Articles would only purify our Music Industry.. i knw sme of his thoughts are arguable.. buh m gng to take d positives outta dis 1! ….. Grt article Etcetera

7. beauty

December 5, 2015 at 11:31 am

I kind of get where Etcetera is coming from. You know Asa is “it” for us in Nigeria and makes real good music. Teaming up with people who are after “cash flow” isn’t really a good move. Kinda reduces her “je ne sais quoi” thing

8. soccer star

December 5, 2015 at 11:31 am

Bawlar, Korede can sing! Yes. He doesn’t need don jazzy to make his voice sound good.

9. Van

December 5, 2015 at 11:51 am

Christ! Sometimes the truth can be really bitter and fatal. This really is the truth. Etc delivered some classic lines in this article. Lol

• molarah

December 5, 2015 at 10:29 pm

Is your comment supposed to be a prayer? Don’t understand what the first word is doing there. Let’s be mindful of idle words…

10. RichyGame

December 5, 2015 at 12:33 pm

Mr. And So On,

Though your critique especially as it concerns music is regarded high handed because of your own musical misadventure, the Korede-Asa composition was a consciously executed mistake, I must agree. Mr. Don Jazzy has done a great job of turning albeit musical nothings into A list inductees, taking a back seat on directing the musical outcome of ‘Somebody Great’ wold have been near impossible being the boss, but apt. A simple guitar track that with KB and Asa allowed to naturally fill the staves with their vocals (devoid of extreme pitch correction given that Korede sef na beta singer; Asa, you know na), would have sufficed.

Don Jazzy is indeed a capable producer but sometimes, the hunt for the hot paper may regress the ability to re-apply your inherent skills as a widely experienced musician. Ask Terry G now, he has bleed out all that is R&B in his system that anything asides ‘kpangolo’ sounds abhorrent. Even IDJA’s supposed mentor, JJC seems to have lost the flair of a once international level producer with a gig at Sony.

Asa seeks to remain widely relevant and is perhaps trying to be more open to alliances with Nigerian acts. That is likely the reason for agreeing and Korede isn’t a bad musician but what was concocted here is a masterpiece for the thrash bin. A&R review definitely didn’t exist. Does it ever?

Naeto C’s ‘Share My Blessings’ side=by-side ‘Somebody Great’ or any other respectable musical material stands the test of time. It isn’t fair to compare the two; it was a very, very good effort from both angles and did nothing to diminish Asa’s reputation. Naetochuckwu sef went for the right material, wrote and delivered reasonably well.

11. Tygorf

December 5, 2015 at 12:40 pm

I honestly can’t picture Asa and Korede Bello. I have always had this notion that if a Nigerian is going to win a grammy award, it is going to be Asa……the real Asa whose music has content. Okay, Beautiful Nubia also has content but i dont see him with a grammy.

12. hmmmmmmmm

December 5, 2015 at 1:17 pm

Let go listen to songs and report my findings.

13. A Real Nigerian

December 5, 2015 at 1:27 pm

A man who happens to be a failed musician, struggling critic and thick-minded person criticising the crappy and senseless music of a sub-par rapper, a “young sensation” with no talent, and an overrated woman who makes mediocre music that only appeals to brain-dead Nigerians who are under the illusion that she is some sort of messiah for the country’s banal music industry.
    Is there really anything to see here?

14. Musingsofachristianchick.com

December 5, 2015 at 1:29 pm

Woooww whatever happened to appreciating someones effort.
    This review or article just reeks of hate.
    The ASA song with naetoC is a very wonderful song, good lyrics and a wonderful chorus.
    I haven’t heard the one with korede tho, but if it really is that easy to release a good song, why is etcetra now an ex-singer, we never even knew of him in his “hay days”
    Anyone that finds it so easy to put down nd condemn, someones hard work, without even having something to show for it must have a very dark heart.
    I’m actually pained because of his exaggerated opinion on “share my blessing”
    Etcetra not every day pull down with ur words, sometimes build up.

15. Hanee

December 5, 2015 at 1:40 pm

Please can anyone remind me one of Etcetera hit song?

16. sippingtea

December 5, 2015 at 1:42 pm

I choked at “Korede’s voice; which sounds like T-Pain after he’s slammed his testicles in a car door.” Etcetera, chai!!!! Why now? Why are you so mouthed??? That was a very wicked description… na waya. Anyway, to be honest, I wish Asa would work with people like Brymo for example, now that would be an awesome collaboration!

17. Omoté

December 5, 2015 at 1:46 pm

Totally agree with Etc on this one…I may not totally like his choice of words but he’s damn right! We need sound critics abeg! He is one of dem, failed musician or not. More than half the songs churned out are filled with rubbish. All u get is a new slang n an amazing dance step n the lyrics get lost somewhere in between.

18. chi-e-z

December 5, 2015 at 1:46 pm

I have know idea who this ectera he is but I know one thing he is a hater from hell tschew…. Share my blessing is actually one of my favorite naija songs so he’s hating is just stupid for hating on that one. I’ve heard both songs while I do feel the autotune on the one with korede and korede’s lyrical content are not the dest, I know where this kid korede started from and that he is a sweet heart so asa featuring to support this kid’s dream like some didd hers is not the worst thing on earth. So Ectera go do something with ur life rather than being a lousy hater.

19. Daisy

December 5, 2015 at 1:54 pm

Hahaha I love this guy! Realer gee! He sure can write! And Asa staaap it! Haven’t you heard of Brymo? We’re patiently waiting!

20. Cynhams Cakes, Abuja (home delivery)

December 5, 2015 at 2:52 pm

Asa isn’t stupid. Before the songs were released for public listening, she would have listened to them over and over again and felt satisfied with them.

Etcetera can say what he likes, it won’t change a thing in their lives.

21. Ms Dee pro Tns.ng

December 5, 2015 at 3:37 pm

I haven’t listened to Korede Bello’s collaboration with Asa but I have to say that if the song is anything like the music he’s done in the past then Asa might be on to career suicide. Etcetera is very right on that one. Let’s face it, most of the collaborations in Naija music is unnecessary and awful. People collaborate because an Artiste is rave of the moment not cos they are in sync.
    Like Di’ja went to collaborate with Patoranking when she clearly does not sing his style and so on and so forth.smh

22. play

December 5, 2015 at 4:01 pm

This – is completely retarded, lets you know, this is more publicity for these artiste, cos i just downloaded the song now and its [email protected] neato c, we love you,we dey feel you music @bella naija how much does this idiot pay you to post this rubbish, its not worth it.

23. Etcetera ain't never lied...

December 5, 2015 at 4:03 pm

Etcetera you said d TRUTH!

24. dips

December 5, 2015 at 4:08 pm

Did Bella Naija say ex musician? Sorry, the right word is FAILED musician.
    It’s strange that a musician that never really had a music career can attempt to criticise career musicians.
    With all etcetera claims to know, one would have thought he would have applied it so as to save his own career, but alas he could not.
    This is a typical case of ‘Physician, heal thy self’.’

25. edo juju

December 5, 2015 at 4:43 pm

The revamping of the entire Nigerian music scene, will require concerted efforts of intellectuals, because some of these half-baked entertainment opportunists, appear hell-bent on burning up the last fibres of credibility won for us by the great musicians of the past …

26. lola

December 5, 2015 at 4:55 pm

it is totally cruel for someone to think they can make a living off rubbishing other people’s work. that Naeto C and Asa’s track is AMAZING. Did he listen to the lyrics at all, everytime i listen to the track i just feel so relaxed. please its time we stopped paying attention to this ETC man. Sir please get a job!

27. Q.

December 5, 2015 at 5:02 pm

In fairness to this guy called ETC i think he is only sad because he had a failed career. In my opinion, he once tried to create a sound, genre and type of music that didn’t sell to our ears. I can remember him from back in the day on MITV/STAR FM trying so had to pull the strings of his guitar, with the most coarse and annoying voice ever heard. Now this same former artist who has found some joy in a job i call JOBLESSNESS has the effrontery to insult ASA. I mean when you used to walk the streets of ISHERI MAGODO doing frivolities and all sorts, ASA was working the nights to give us classics. Now some average-run-off-the-mill-gum-shoe thinks he can just open his mouth to yarn balls. Korede bello knows his pains and only him understands where he has been and gone through for him to depict all in his song. DON Jazzy on the other hand is no mate of you + your music career…you should beg one of this guys to work with you see if you can get your career polished and back on track again. I HAVE BEEN READING YOUR ARTICLES AND THEY ALL SUCK. WHATS YOUR PAIN? YOUR MUSIC FROM BACK IN THE DAY WAS ANNOYING. Quit throwing stones ETC…lots of glass here. Get a life and a job.

28. nameless

December 5, 2015 at 5:02 pm

I do not understand how somebody’s job can be to constantly criticise others especially when they are not directly accountable in any way or manner.
    Even if at all he made any sense, the fact that he constantly criticises others just makes him come across as a hater and for that reason I couldn’t bear to finish the article.
    Mr. Etcetera focus on your career, build your brand..when you become a boss and a Legend and a leader in your industry, then maybe then can you earn the right to constantly criticise your peers and people will actually take you seriously.
    Until then you sadly come across as a failed musician desperately seeking for relevance. Sadly, you cant be relevant by constantly trying to make others look bad.

29. nameless

December 5, 2015 at 5:04 pm

*you can earn the right

30. Ijebujesha

December 5, 2015 at 5:36 pm

I agree. Asa shouldn’t be doing music with these Nigerian sngers. Her style is simply not their style. 9ice has also been struggling with that confusion. Banky and maybe Darey have achieved some modest successes in that regard. These guys I have mentioned are the REAL talents as long as MUSIC is concerned but the Nigerian musical taste/preference isn’t suited for their type. I would advise them to stick to their natural style.You only make a mess of yourself when you try to join the bandwagon…like 9ice did in his GRA album and Asa on those duets. Plus it’s always good to be unique. It pays off in the long-run. Ten years from now, the music of these guys will keep selling but the noise that people patronize now would have fizzled out for some other genre of noise.

31. Ada

December 5, 2015 at 7:01 pm

Please I loved “share my blessings” I still have it on my play list. That collaboration (Naeto C & Asa) was dope. Dear Etcetera, while gasping for air, biko tell me one song wey you don sing? No mention hits o, just song… rubbish person!

32. Q

December 5, 2015 at 7:07 pm

I feel bad. BN didn’t post my comment

33. mrs chidukane

December 5, 2015 at 8:12 pm

This man is very bitter. There’s nothing wrong with the Asa Naeto C song. I also see he didn’t mention the one she did with Darey or with Jeremiah Gyang. He should release his own record let’s hear.

34. Ama

December 5, 2015 at 8:14 pm

Mr etc “ati be be nlo” as you have been rightly labelled, do you understand the meaning of “fatal”? No one has a fatal accident twice. Well, in the multitude of rants, such mistakes are inevitable.

35. Debra

December 5, 2015 at 10:06 pm

Naeto C recorded the song in memory of his late female friend. Mr Etcetera, I know you love writing as I frequently glance through your articles in Sunday punch but ‘this’ is an abuse of your God given gift. Do not use your gift to condemn or bring others down. Remove the log in your eye before you remove the speck in another’s eye. Improve on yourself so you may go further with your writing career.

36. etc reeks of bad belle

December 5, 2015 at 10:20 pm

This etc guy is full of hate, you disgust me.

37. molarah

December 5, 2015 at 10:35 pm

My own is that I’m certain you can provide constructive criticism about anything or anyone, without resorting to verbose insults. His point-of-view may be true, but his method of communicating it leaves very much to be desires. All I see is bitter…bitter…and more bitter. Besides, the entertainment industry is all about creativity, so there is nothing wrong with a Celine Dion + T-Pain collaboration. The beauty in what they produce is how they can get their individual strengths to merge into a seamless duet. And again, your opinion is just that…your opinion. You might think their song stinks, but all they need is three million (out of our 170 million population) Nigerians to appreciate the song well enough to buy the single, for it to be a best-selling hit. Not everyone’s market will appeal to you, so if you don’t like it, state your point respectfully and waka pass.

38. Chy

December 6, 2015 at 12:07 am

Naeto C and Asa collabo is not new na…it’s at least three years old so what is this bitter Etc talking about now, after so long?

39. Ghostmode

December 6, 2015 at 9:06 am

My dear Asa the only Nigerian Artiste you should do a collabo with is BRYMO!!!

40. Jimae

December 6, 2015 at 12:52 pm

How on Earth is that moron called ETC negatively criticising that awesome Nigerian rap song “Share your blessings” by Naeto C ft Asa………..Nigeria needs more of that kind of rap song…….That ETC guy is a muppet…….

41. niyoola

December 6, 2015 at 1:45 pm

I love Naeto C ft Asa. That song is very very lovely. It still played it this week; comes up after Comforter”s Song.
    ETC, because a song doesn’t appeal to you doesn’t mean you should slam it. WHen I first heard SOmebody Great, I didn’t really like it, but the song has grown on me.
    And no need to be insulting when critiquing someoone’s work. You are quite immature.
    I blame those commending you and saying ‘truth is bitter’. If you communicate the truth in a bad way, you may as well not speak the truth.

42. La Vie

December 7, 2015 at 3:34 pm

Ok so his name is Etcetera, it means and so on and so forth now, never the MAIN THING and will never be. He has lost his relevance tay tay and like someone said can anyone at all remind us of this idiot’s hit song? Etcetera been hitting his testicles against a car door since he was born, ode oshi. When in God’s name will he stop bitching around like a wounded goat never a LION ( like they say). Never in your dreams will Asa collaborate with you even if you spill your guts right there on the floor, we have seen you go and sit please.

Ko ma da ki eyan ma gbon rara o.

43. chidi

December 7, 2015 at 4:17 pm

Lol I think I quite agree with Etcetera on this one, but meanwhile pls let us some music from Etcetera himself. Click link below youtube.com/watch?v=qyfwetZvVQc

44. dude!!

January 26, 2016 at 1:33 pm

Oh please etcetera is so obnoxious and pathetic. He is hoping to become famous for insulting other artists since he wasn’t a successful
    musician himself.

45. Lil success

February 12, 2016 at 10:36 pm

ETC or watever has done a great a job advertersing songs for d owners, althrough he complains bt dat does not d download rate of these song infact more pple bcos of his comment has downloaded d song. U GUYS SHULD REMENBER THAT HE IS AN EX MUSICIAN DAT DID NOT KNW NOW IN MUSIC INDUSTRY so dnt blame him much!!!