The focus of the Exquisite Magazine Cervical Cancer Prevention Week (EMCCPW) is on all things to do with cervical cancer including information about symptoms and causes of the disease, ways to prevent it and support us.
Every hour in Nigeria, women are dying with cervical cancer. Cervical cancer is largely preventable thanks to cervical screening and the HPV vaccination programme. However people are still not going in for their yearly screenings. Early detection is also key in increasing survival rates and so educating everyone on the disease, its symptoms and ways to prevent it is key. Exquisite magazine Cervical Cancer Prevention Week provides us with an opportunity to do just that and this week falls within the global cervical cancer awareness month, the month of January and February 4th, World Cancer Day.
Cervical cancer screening can help detect abnormal cells before they turn into cancer. Most deaths can be prevented by regular screening tests and follow up care.
The EMCCPW can help by using this opportunity to spread the word about the important steps that women need to take to stay healthy, by encouraging women to get screened regularly and by telling parents about how important it is for pre-teens to get HPV vaccine; both girls and boys.
There are lots of ways you can get involved during the week;
- take part in our #getscreened selfie campaign that we’re launching that week. This will be a poster with your picture and your short quote encouraging girls andwomen to get screened, go for regular screening and also take the vaccines. We would provide guidance should you require this for your quote.
- displaying our posters and leaflets in hospitals, libraries, salons, spas, church and more
- put the web badge on your website
- Donateto support our cervical cancer awareness programmes which include free screening and treatment for early stages of pre cancer cells.
- Join our EMAC walk
- share our posts, tweets, videos and images on Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter, YouTube, Instagramand Pinterest.
- Host a local event to raise awareness about cervical health which we will be a part of.
We can provide posters and a range of materials to help support your activities.
For more information and to join us for the free screening session on the 30th of January and 4h of February, Call 08098886184, 07038001086 or email us at [email protected]
Free screening will be at banjo nur/pry school, Ebute Meta on Saturday the 30th from 12 noon.
Other screenings will be held daily St. Lakshore Cancer Center, VI @ an EM reduced rate of N2000.
See some stars that have added their voice to the campaign below.
BellaNaija is a media partner for Exquisite Magazine Cervical Cancer Prevention Week