Relationships

Tyra Banks surprises fans…Supermodel/Mogul is now a MUM!

Tyra Banks Erik AslaSo happy for Tyra Banks.

Just a few months ago, she shared her fertility struggles on her recently cancelled talk show. Now she has announced that she and her boyfriend, Erik Asla are now parents.

“We are so excited for our new baby boy bundle of joy. The journey to now has not been an easy process, as I’ve shared before. But there was a beautiful bright light at the end of the tunnel for me and his father, Erik.

As I gaze into the beautiful eyes of my son, I think about all the people who struggle with fertility or carrying a child and continue to pray for them every day. My hopes and dreams are filled with well wishes that they get to feel what my little treasure, York Banks Asla, feels like in my arms.”

The statement was exclusively shared with People Magazine

Tyra shared the happy news with fans on Instagram
Screen Shot 2016-01-28 at 8.29.40 AM

The best present we worked and prayed so hard for is finally here. He’s got my fingers and big eyes and his daddy Erik’s mouth and chin. As we thank the angel of a woman that carried our miracle baby boy for us, we pray for everyone who struggles to reach this joyous milestone. York Banks Asla, welcome to the world.

1. Bella

January 28, 2016 at 9:07 am

Happy for her at last, so she had a surrogate carry her baby. Its humbling that even with so much money, some may never know the joys of carrying their own child. Life!! I’m happy she at least has her own baby..Lets ever forget to give thanks for the little things in life most people take for granted.

• slice

January 28, 2016 at 9:22 am

Pls shut up

• TheRealist

January 28, 2016 at 4:06 pm

@slice, thank you jo!

• Beautiful

January 28, 2016 at 9:52 am

Motherhood can come in many different ways. Sometimes the child that comes out of your own womb turns out to be a total stranger and you wonder if he wasn’t switched at birth. Whether by own womb, rented womb or adoption every woman who longs to experience the joys of motherhood should do so.

• jess

January 28, 2016 at 9:58 am

How did you manage to fuse such negativity in that your comment. She has a child but you had to point out that she will never know the joy of carrying her own child. You are not a good person.

• Zaida

January 28, 2016 at 10:02 am

Some people really smoke something before commenting on BN. Congrats Tyra

• Vidavi

January 28, 2016 at 10:24 am

It’s people like you that give other women anxiety. I’m you’re the type of friend that would drive someone to suicide. With your inconsiderate and judgemental self. Don’t you think she is aware of her OWN situation? Don’t you think she tried?Do you think she was happy sitting on the sidelines watching everyone else fulfil their dreams of motherhood? Do you know the pain she carried with her as she grew older, and the possibility of not having kids became even more real for her?She was dealt a raw deal when it came to having her own family, and she dealt with it the best way she knew how. Let her live, Sometimes God creates beautiful families in the strangest way. I’ve always said that those who adopt kids were hand picked by God because it takes a special kind of person to be able to love someone else’s child unconditionally. So before you sit there and make senseless statements, take a moment to think.

• tiana

January 28, 2016 at 5:18 pm

well said – people don’t think – one must show empathy but people like to point out ppls struggles – its not fair – the woman has cried publicly about this – so can you imagine how much crying she did with no one around – please people be happy for our tyra she has found love and happiness. – now she can be at peace

• Vidavi

January 28, 2016 at 10:25 am

Meant to say I’m sure

• Fabulcious

January 28, 2016 at 11:00 am

I never thought I will say this but your comment is STUPID.

• Fabulicious

January 28, 2016 at 11:01 am

And I meant that for that Bella airhead.

• Iris

January 28, 2016 at 11:22 am

It’s fascinating how you managed to make a show of support sound smug, patronizing, and self congratulatory, masked under the self-righteousness of religion…it really is an art what you just did here. I suggest however, that you do not continue to perfect this craft.

• candice

January 29, 2016 at 6:03 am

@Bella
      You sounded like an uncivilised person and someone who sees no good in other people,if not why would you point out that she wasn’t able to carry her own pregnancy.
      Tyra was very open with her infertility issue that at some point she even broke down in tears due to the frustrating situation but alas she was able to have her own child through a surrogate mother(whom she aknowledged and was grateful to)..
      People like you are why most people won’t come out and would rather fake pregnancies like Beyonce was alleged to have done with Blue Ivy.

2. TheIsokoGirl

January 28, 2016 at 9:50 am

Na wa oo…”HUMBLING” ke.So because she didn’t carry the baby herself makes her less of a human being.I’m sure tyra is more “joyous” than most women who carried their babies.

3. Grace

January 28, 2016 at 10:11 am

Awww, congratulations to her and Erik. And hey welcome to the world”York” 🙂

4. ENNY**

January 28, 2016 at 10:40 am

Conrats Tyra. Thank God!!

5. Josephine

January 28, 2016 at 11:07 am

Happy for Tyra and her man. If nature won’t seem to allow it, then medicine is an option. Women don’t have to just accept that they won’t have kids if they want. There are options. There can’t be too much awareness that where’s a will there’s a way.

6. tamunotonye

January 28, 2016 at 11:51 am

Awww…congrats Tyra n welcome York.

7. jide

January 28, 2016 at 1:46 pm

Oloshi. Gbenudake. Not all babies carried are joys. I won’t name names but as seen this week, here on BN, some babies are better off swallowed. Nigerians and their “I still better pass you” congratulations.

• jide

January 28, 2016 at 2:41 pm

My response was for that lowlife Bellla

8. Ese

January 28, 2016 at 3:05 pm

Is it just me that doesn’t see anything wrong in Bella’s comment? I definitely think you guys are taking it the wrong way.. He/she was just stating a true statement. He didn’t insult Tyra Banks in anyway and i think he was referring to everyone else when he said it is ‘humbling’ – which means we shouldn’t take things for granted simply because we are wealthy and not that Tyra is less of a human being..and you guys skipped the part where he said he is happy for her but jumped into conclusion on the other parts..smh

• slice

January 28, 2016 at 4:20 pm

Don’t state that type of so called truth in someone’s moment of joy. She’s thankful she at least has her baby. At least. Seriously. Nuff said

• Honeycrown

January 28, 2016 at 8:15 pm

@Ese, I also didn’t think @Bella meant any harm but may have done a poor job conveying his/her feelings especially with statements like, “Happy for her at LAST….. I’m happy she AT LEAST has her own baby….”
      I really didn’t think anything of the comment till I started seeing others disapprove of it. I think we often get lost in translation in many non-verbal conversations (especially if you’re writing but translating in your head from your Native language to English) If this was a strictly “Oyibo” forum where no significance is attached to child bearing, probably no one will disapprove of @Bella’s comment. A lot of our reactions is based on our perspective on life.

• Osa

January 28, 2016 at 10:46 pm

@ Ese you must be ‘Bella’ becos if not, how did you know its a ‘HE’ and not a ‘SHE’.?
      rubbish you!

• Osa

January 28, 2016 at 10:48 pm

Sorry love, I Just re read it and saw that you used the slash. didnt mean no harm. lol

• Osa

January 28, 2016 at 10:49 pm

But then again, I see after the slash, you kept using ‘HE’, so I revert to my first comment. Ahhh! I see you must be ‘Bella’ then

• ak

January 29, 2016 at 10:11 pm

go and sleep @osa

9. zinny

January 28, 2016 at 4:08 pm

It is terrifying how you guys just go for the jugular with rapid speed. Give people the benefit of the doubt.

10. Marvel

January 28, 2016 at 4:27 pm

No,@Ese and @Zinny, I think you guys and @Bella should learn the ‘Art of Conversation’. There is a time and a place. If one has gone through much difficulty in trying to conceive and fails, then tries successfully, the only word that is applicable is ‘congratulations’!
    It is inappropriate and ill mannered to bring up that type of comparison. Right now, it is about the novelty of being a new mum, first time mum to a miracle. Please learn to be happy for others.

11. prince

January 28, 2016 at 4:54 pm

Congratulations Tyra Banks, I’m sure some people would prefer to concentrate on the surrogate part instead of been happy with her.
    Anyhow the child come, the main thing is ‘A CHILD HAS BEING BORN’

12. phoenixceleste

January 28, 2016 at 6:10 pm

I’m madly happy for tyra

13. Honeycrown

January 28, 2016 at 8:17 pm

Very happy for Tara and can’t wait to see pictures of the baby. Congratulations to them.

14. Bananabinta

January 29, 2016 at 9:43 am

What a statement. I’m not surprised sha, you live in a society where eveyone is measured by their ability to conform to societal standards. I’m going to go old school with my little nugget of wisdom…look at the fingers on one hand, no two are the same, same goes for humans blondie!!

15. Bananabinta

January 29, 2016 at 9:43 am

This was meant for Bella

16. molarah

January 29, 2016 at 11:20 pm

Apparently Bella got everyone’s panties in a bunch with her comment, and I’m still struggling to see why. Never mind that the logic behind the annoyance smacks of hypocrisy: you want to be able to share your feelings of happiness and at the same time muffle others from sharing their OWN feelings, because they are different from yours. Not every time oooh I’m happy for you, if I have a good reason not to be happy, should I lie or pretend? That being said, I personally don’t even see any hint of malice in Bella’s comment: she was just being honest about the facts of this life we live in. Abeg, let’s learn to breathe before we jump into conclusions in comments.

17. Jennie Kravitz

March 22, 2016 at 9:21 pm

Congratulations, Tyra! As someone who is struggling with infertility issues as well (Ovarian cysts) I can appreciate the joy you are experiencing in knowing that you have your own little peanut in your arms after some time doing IVF (which is super painful). Congrats again, you continue to be an inspiration to young women!