Weddings

Love From the ‘Gram! How Natalia & Ian Met Online & Are Getting Married

BellaNaija Weddings

Natalia and Ian in Perth, Australia_BellaNaija Weddings 2016_N&I-1056East African couple Natalia and Ian met two years ago on their favourite social network, Instagram. The bride-to-be is Kenyan, while her beau is from Tanzania.

Their pre-wedding shoot was taken at Swan Valley and Sandleford Wineries in Perth, Australia, where they live.

~ Photography: Lumens PhotographyDCIM100MEDIADJI_0050.JPGNatalia and Ian in Perth, Australia_BellaNaija Weddings 2016_N&I-1024 Natalia and Ian in Perth, Australia_BellaNaija Weddings 2016_N&I-1034Our Love Story
From Natalia, the bride
Ian & I first started talking on the 17th March 2014 (tell me about it, I still have our first conversation saved). You will not believe how we met… Instagram (chuckles). Yes guys, there’s hope out there even on Instagram. Natalia and Ian in Perth, Australia_BellaNaija Weddings 2016_N&I-1073 Natalia and Ian in Perth, Australia_BellaNaija Weddings 2016_N&I-1045

People who know me by now should fathom my social exploit must be quenched. 🙂 🙂 🙂 so just before I went to bed I decided to indulge in my usual (Instagram before bed)… Lo & behold I somehow stumbled onto this page that had/has the most beautiful photos, not of him though. He did however have a selfie photo that caught my eye. Natalia and Ian in Perth, Australia_BellaNaija Weddings 2016_N&I-1037Natalia and Ian in Perth, Australia_BellaNaija Weddings 2016_N&I-1058Natalia and Ian in Perth, Australia_BellaNaija Weddings 2016_N&I-1021He had just returned from his Bali holidays & had captured really amazing moments. Coincidently I had also just returned from a friend’s wedding in Bali. Sadly let’s just say he had a better experience. I was intrigued. So I casually commented on his amazing photography skills & questioned the location of the hotels, bla bla bla…Natalia and Ian in Perth, Australia_BellaNaija Weddings 2016_N&I-1097 Natalia and Ian in Perth, Australia_BellaNaija Weddings 2016_N&I-1091 Natalia and Ian in Perth, Australia_BellaNaija Weddings 2016_N&I-1085 Natalia and Ian in Perth, Australia_BellaNaija Weddings 2016_N&I-1105Fast forward – he later on asked for my number, we continued to talk over the phone for a period of time until he mastered the courage to ask me out for dinner. At the time, I wasn’t looking for anything serious but hey the Lord above had other plans… We are getting married. Where are the emojis when you need them? (Happy Feet Dancing).Natalia and Ian in Perth, Australia_BellaNaija Weddings 2016_N&I-1228 Natalia and Ian in Perth, Australia_BellaNaija Weddings 2016_N&I-1233Our Love Story
From Ian, the groom
The year 2014 or was it 2013 (LOL – she will kill me). On a hot summer night, couldn’t sleep, twisting & turning (some of you may relate). Thinking to myself it’s going to be one of those sleepless nights. Now like a lot of people, I keep my phone on my nightstand. It’s also my alarm clock, and on too many nights, a source of distraction. I had a pattern where I’d spend anywhere between five & forty five minutes before bed on Instagram & Facebook. Well this night was no different.Natalia and Ian in Perth, Australia_BellaNaija Weddings 2016_N&I-1190 Natalia and Ian in Perth, Australia_BellaNaija Weddings 2016_N&I-1186A couple of notifications popped up on my Instagram account, 20 Likes (it was more like 2 but let’s move on) & several comments from the same profile, I was intrigued. Tried snooping through the account but no luck it was private! Just perfect. Can’t even know my stalker (my second warning). The next logical thing to do was click the “Follow” button. After one week of anticipation I got the admission, I was in.Natalia and Ian in Perth, Australia_BellaNaija Weddings 2016_N&I-1205Now I should tell you, the majority of my single life was spent meeting people via the traditional route, matter of fact I wasn’t even looking for a relationship as such, but more of a companion. After coming out from a long relationship, I had to take a step back, I had to invest in myself.Natalia and Ian in Perth, Australia_BellaNaija Weddings 2016_N&I-1136 Natalia and Ian in Perth, Australia_BellaNaija Weddings 2016_N&I-1163So anyways I snooped through her page (a lot of selfies) as expected. But there was one particular post that caught my eye, that made me feel “Some Typa Way”, that got me captivated. Captivated not only by her beauty but her confidence, her poise & her finesse. Got the courage to ask for her number and the rest is history.

By meeting my fiancée on Instagram, all I can say is going through social networking sites makes perfect sense, it’s fast, fun & modern.Natalia and Ian in Perth, Australia_BellaNaija Weddings 2016_N&I-1116

***

Photography: Lumens Photography
Bride’s Attire: Lace and Button

1. Great Lady

February 18, 2016 at 12:19 pm

Chemistry ✅
    Photography ✅
    Dear Lord, remember thy daughter and provide a boo.

• kobbie

February 18, 2016 at 3:40 pm

hey great lady…how is it going?

• Nkechi

February 21, 2016 at 1:18 am

Wao. Didn’t know it was safe to meet on social network.

2. ladyb

February 18, 2016 at 12:20 pm

awwww bless you guys, super cute. i am not tapping into nada though lol

3. Le coco

February 18, 2016 at 12:33 pm

Oh my.. what a stunning couple.. God bless you both.. can’t wait to see your wedding photos.. Nd you representing your cultures.. I wish you lots of love, joy and peace…

4. Lol

February 18, 2016 at 12:45 pm

I guess BellaNaija should be bellanaijaafricanweddings now. Nothing wrong though, so many eastern and southern african weddings featured recently. Issoraii lol as long as it’s not overdone. 🙂

• Ewa

February 18, 2016 at 1:26 pm

Anything wrong in it being overdone?:-):-):-)

• Damilola

February 18, 2016 at 4:53 pm

@lol

But you are okay with other American news about Bey, Kim k etc
      If bella naija can feature news from the U.S, why not in other countries in Africa.
      Bella naija, please keep it up. Let’s learn about Africa not only when it’s Dubai, American that we get excited. But within Africa is also exciting.

Beautiful couple. I will love to see their cultural attires, food and arrangement. Looking forward to see Ghana, Cameroon, Senegal etc

• Lol

February 18, 2016 at 7:32 pm

I said last year it was mostly nigerian weddings with mixes of other african weddings. I didn’t say anything about beyonce or kim being acceptable.. I’m talking about when the wedding section of BellaNaija was filled with vibrant colors from igbo, Yoruba, edo, Hausa cultures. Now it’s just beaches and shoots loool . It’s a bit boring

• mama

February 19, 2016 at 2:52 pm

lol pls zip it abeg…why cant people just stop winning? always complaining and nagging…..if u don’t want don’t click it

5. Queen Bee

February 18, 2016 at 1:15 pm

This could be me but ……………..

• ATL's finest

February 18, 2016 at 2:03 pm

Hahhaa @ Queen bee wetin come happen? It can still be U ok

6. Anniesglam

February 18, 2016 at 1:20 pm

Interesting story congrats to them.Hey BN lovers pls visit my fashion n beauty [email protected]. com.ng

7. Fyfi Salty

February 18, 2016 at 2:16 pm

Awwww lovely couple…No more tapping & start snooping… Amen!!! Better still,type out your request…I see a lot men do it on BN….Heavenly God give us (some) the boldness to write out our request going forward …..Amen??

8. Puzzles

February 18, 2016 at 4:47 pm

the guy reminds me of Tony Umez

HML in advance

9. BeYOUtifull

February 18, 2016 at 5:02 pm

That’s how I saw the last people dating on instagram and I started liking 1 guys picture on instagram, met him for the first time and he was just busy going through my BBM, whatsapp, instagram DM While his friend was winking secretly.
    Dude told me there’s no car to take me home and I should sleep over, the way I quickly used uber app to call a cab. or is it the other guy that asked me out on the 1st date and insisted on sleeping with me and when I said no, he broke up instantly.
    That’s how Devil used to work, i’ve given up on instgram mbok.

10. Bella Fresh

February 18, 2016 at 5:09 pm

That’s how i have been liking a guys picture on Instagram still no hope. Infact i know his sister, cousin, coursemates, colleagues, high school friends instagram handles, O God the provider of all Baes, Open my dm for him….thou shall slide into it this year.

• memebaby

February 18, 2016 at 7:53 pm

he don want you hunni lol
      social media is hit or miss..and some people are clueless ..he might think. she likes my pictures while you are giving him “signs” .. it goes down in the dm… be brave ..hit him up and say hello.. 🙂

11. ZBLL

February 18, 2016 at 5:57 pm

????

12. Ololade

February 18, 2016 at 6:13 pm

Wow ; I can relate , met ” mine ” last year June via Instagram,have always wanted to date a footballer but I end up getting engaged to one …#DateComingSoon

• Erm

February 19, 2016 at 11:15 am

Girls and gold digging, when una go stop?
      Always wanted to date a footabller- irrespective of his looks, height, complexion, similarities….
      Just a footballer? hmm.
      No be all footballers get money o and their money is seasonal, you better learn.

Congrats to the Instagram couple

• Mz Titilitious

February 22, 2016 at 1:45 pm

lmao!

13. Mz Titilitious

February 22, 2016 at 1:46 pm

met mine on twitter… relatnsp goin to 2yrs now…. my prayer is God should provide a job for my boo o

• Shez

February 24, 2016 at 10:57 am

May God grant your prayer request in Jesus name. Believe.

14. Shez

February 24, 2016 at 10:57 am

Awesome story, very rare occurrence though. Baraka!

15. Amaka d igbo chic

March 4, 2016 at 12:14 pm

Awwww, God bless their union, interesting story….similar to mine cos I met bae last yr on Instagram too…its been wonderful so far….???

16. Baby J

April 14, 2016 at 9:25 am

awwwwwwwww oh gawd I wanna fall in love