News

FRSC Boss Reveals Cause of Late Minister James Ocholi’s Accident + How the Driver had no License

While presenting the accident’s Road Traffic Crash Investigation Interim Report to the Federal Executive Council today, FRSC Boss, Boboye Oyeyemi stated that the late Minister of State for Labour and Employment, James Ocholi, died as a result of over speeding.

He also revealed that the driver’s name was not found on the FRSC database, and therefore, had no driver’s license. According to him, Ocholi and his son also did not use their seatbelts.

Talking about the cause of the accident, Boboye Oyeyemi said a rear tyre of the Jeep they were driving in bust causing the car to skid off the road, and the jeep somersaulted several times into the bush.

James Ocholi Accident

Minister’s crashed car

President Buhari had earlier signed the condolence register and a minute silence was held in honour of the late minister. He is expected to lead the cabinet members on a condolence visit to the late minister’s family.

President-Buhari-Signing-the-condolence-register

The secretary to the government of the federation, Babachair Lawal has said that the burial rites would hold between the 16th and 18th of March at the hometown of the Ocholis in Dekina, Kogi state.

Sources: Vanguard | Naij.com | The Cable

1. gifted

March 9, 2016 at 5:58 pm

So sad!!

2. Chiiii

March 9, 2016 at 6:08 pm

Wow! Safety is really becoming a big issue in Nigeria 🙁 I hope people will learn from this. This life eh. May his soul RIP

3. Chi

March 9, 2016 at 6:38 pm

If he had no Driver’s license how did he get employed? Granted, I suspected overspeeding though from the beginning.

4. nene+

March 9, 2016 at 6:42 pm

So how did he drive a minister? Someone without a license?
    O h Lord this gives credence to the brothers suspicion that James was killed.
    Sad!!!!

5. Shomowale

March 9, 2016 at 6:50 pm

Hail, BUHARI. He is a good Presidential figure for Nigeria. A sincerely revolutionized Northern man. I just like seeing him reverse stereo types. God bless this commander in chief. And thank you for bringing back all that loot stolen by Abacha, it will help restore the credit the same way your slowly by slowly restoring our dignity. Even tho It honestly seemed irretrievably Lost @ one point!

6. RichyGame

March 9, 2016 at 6:53 pm

The FRSC boss may have used the word “Jeep” to describe the Lexus SUV but I’d expect it not from a BN write up biko. “Jeep” is an SUV brand that has in Nigeria, become synonymous with SUVs; more like: “I want to buy Dangote Indomie”, get it. It does not make it right. Since you are not quoting him verbatim, make it correct!

2. Sharp, sharp investigation… Sounds more like hearsay conclusion without standard tests performed but what do I know? Perhaps the testimony of witnesses may have sufficed sha.

7. o

March 9, 2016 at 6:55 pm

How is it possible that a minister’s driver doesn’t have a valid drivers license? I find that hard to believe. Def speed was a huge factor. So so sad. The way all these govt cars speed with no regard for other road users, if only they know they are endangering their own lives, they won’t speed so much.

I can’t be in a car and not caution the driver when he’s overspeeding. I am just wondering how the driver wasn’t cautioned. So sad. May they rest in peace

8. Ides of March

March 9, 2016 at 8:35 pm

The worst thing you can do during a tire blow out is step on the brakes. I lost an uncle that way, he stepped on the brakes and the car flipped several times. When my tire blew out my first instinct was to step on the brakes too. If not for the grace of God and the power of the Holy Spirit, i would not be alive to tell this tale. I had to hold on to that wheel as the car was weaving in and out of lanes. Luckily other drivers saw my distress and pulled back, letting me weave all over the freeway until the car slow to a manageable speed. It is a day i would not soon forget and i’m thankful for each additional day i am counted in the land of the living!

9. Enkay

March 9, 2016 at 10:32 pm

@ Ides I am as thankful as you are for each passing day. When ours happened, the driver applied brakes and had us flipping all over the place. It took most part of my face, collected 2 teeth and left me badly scarred. This news just had me crying again. Anyone with suggestions on scar removal measures. Thanks. May their souls RIP. Sad.

• I just waka come...

March 9, 2016 at 11:19 pm

@enkay I’m so sorry to hear this.
      Please Google Modupe Ozolua’s clinic.
      I know they carry out corrective surgeries/treatment.
      If for any reason, they cannot handle your case, they should be able to refer you.
      And you will at least get expert assessment.
      Cheer up, I’m very sure there’s a solution in sight. Let me know how it goes?
      Plenty e- hugs.?

• Ada Nnewi

March 10, 2016 at 3:30 am

Big hug for you enkay

• Ides of March

March 10, 2016 at 6:17 am

I’m sorry for your misfortune Enkay but I’m thankful you are still here. May God continue to comfort your dear heart and fill it with abundant joy. Hugs and blessings.

10. Will Warri IQ

March 9, 2016 at 10:34 pm

Utter Gibberish! What nonsense, imagine FRSC looking for who to blame because a minister is involved… They say he was overspeeding, in other words, the driver was just driving recklessly even though his oga, his madam and their son where sat in the car, how plausible is that? let’s not even talk about the license. tyre burst, e burst… #Itcanhappen FRSC please stop the blame game!

11. Andrew Fadilepo

March 9, 2016 at 11:53 pm

May their souls rest in peace.It is a very sad accident and a complete waste of lifes.
    As to the issue of driver not having driving license, technically in Nigeria, nobody has license.The fact that someone has a card issued by FRSC does not indicate that the holder has been duly trained, tested and passed a driving test.Carrying of a card named driving license in Nigeria is very misleading as there is no stringent statutory tests both theory and practical.
    I only wonder when we would get this right and put a stop to this carnage on our road!May God help us.

12. Lady Doctor

March 10, 2016 at 3:12 am

What about the deep pothole that caused the burst tyre?????

13. Moyo

March 10, 2016 at 9:01 am

Well this definitely serves as a lesson to all of us, all passengers are expected to wear their seat belts, however I wonder how people who have large families and cram their cars will cope. Also children who stand on seats while their parents are driving, insist they put on their seat belts and no child under 12 should be in the front seat. I always insist that my children sit at the back. The seat belts are for our safety. This death is just a pity may their souls rest in peace. Amen. As for FRSC, they should step their enlightenment campaign and educate public bus drivers against over speeding there has been too many accidents occurring these days.

14. Gio

March 10, 2016 at 9:40 am

The Driver not having a drivers license is a non issue. He works for the FG, which Law enforcement officer would stop him on the road with him driving a govt vehicle? Is it the Police or FRSC??? How many people have drivers license in this country and have never held the steering wheel of a car before?
    Secondly the cause of the accident was as a result of over speeding. Do note that the Ministers car would not have been the lead car and the Minister’s driver would have had to catch up with the pace of the Pilot car, meaning all cars in the Minister’s convoy were speeding. It’s unfortunate the tyre burst happened to the Ministers car. The late Minister could have also told his driver and the Pilot driver to drive at moderate speed, instead of letting himself to be driven at such high speed.
    Thirdly that car is the latest model Lexus LX 570, The car would have warned the driver if the tyre pressure was low. The car also has all round air bags and from the pictures it shows that the airbags deployed. However if the Minister and his family had worn their seat belts they probably would have survived the crash.
    What happened is unfortunate and could have been avoided. We all know how the convoys of govt officials move on the highways. Life has no spare wheel, let us all drive with caution. May the souls of the departed RIP.

15. Tosin