Music

“I think I Paved the way for the Kardashians” Jennifer Lopez on the latest Cover of W Magazine

Jennifer-Lopez-W-Magazine-May-CoverApril-2016-BellaNaija0001

Jennifer Lopez just aired her final show on ‘American Idol’ after being a judge judge for several years, with the series airing its finale last week (click here to see the highlights). The star still has a lot going for her – her latest single ‘Ain’t Your Mama’ (click here to hear it) and her TV show ‘Shades Of Blue’ getting renewed for a second season. Her Vegas residency will also kick off its second leg next month and run until July.

She speaks about all these and more in the latest edition of W Magazine. In this issue, Jennifer talks about her love life- her divorce from Marc Anthony, her work pace and her fans and critics’ views of her.Jennifer-Lopez-W-Magazine-May-CoverApril-2016-BellaNaija0004

Here are excerpts from her interview with W:

On Marc Anthony and future love

“When it comes to work, I never get tired. But with personal failures, I have thought, This is too hard. When my marriage ended, it was not easy to find forgiveness. It wasn’t the dream that I had hoped for, and it would have been easier to fan the flames of resentment, disappointment, and anger. But Marc is the father of my children [8-year-old twins], and that’s never going away. So, I have to work to make things right. And that is, by far, the hardest work I do.I hung in there for seven years,” Lopez elaborated. “I knew very quickly that it wasn’t the right thing.” “I still think about getting married and having that long life with someone. I love the movie The Notebook. A dream of mine is to grow old with someone.”

On if she thinks the Kardashians stole the shine off her derriere

Lopez smiled. “I think I paved the way for the Kardashaians,” she said. “Just another innovation that I’ve given to the world!”

On keeping up with her work pace

“I do have trouble saying no,” she replied. “It’s hard for me not to imagine doing everything I am asked to do. Even if I hear a song that someone else has done or watch a film that someone else is in, I think, Oh, I would do it like this. Or, I wish I could do it like that. Luckily, I love to work.”

On life since she started judging on American Idol in 2011

“It has been easier,” she said. “People may now think I’m ‘nice,’ but they still act surprised when I’m smart. It’s a man’s world, and, truly, people in a business setting do not value a woman as much as a man. I feel like I’m constantly having to prove myself. If a man does one thing well, people immediately say he’s a genius. Women have to do something remarkable over and over and over. And, even then, they get questions about their love life.” She shrugged. “People underestimate me. They always have, and maybe that’s for the best. It’s fun to prove them wrong.”

Read the entire interview here.

Photo Credit: W Magazine

1. praizeblog.com

April 14, 2016 at 8:42 am

hmmm nice one

2. Cynhams Cakes, Abuja

April 14, 2016 at 8:44 am

Really? Maybe a lil bit true because back then when Jlo was hot (she still is), i never heard about the Kardashians. It was all about Jlo’s booty. But now no one talks about Jlo, its all about the Kardashians.

• Tosin

April 14, 2016 at 4:46 pm

And I’m always for if somebody steal your tin, steal it right back. They’re sha somehow employed. Make we face our own continent…

3. xplorenollywood.com

April 14, 2016 at 9:40 am

True that! Booty wasn’t much of discussion until Jlo came on the scene! And then everything was about butt… but why Kardashian’s isn’t it only Kim that has the booty and has done and over done stuff with hers?

4. mabel

April 14, 2016 at 10:20 am

Well Kimmy said Jlo gave her confidence. She’s always had big butt (Paris Hilton attested to that) and has always been self-conscious because her friends made fun of her ass. JLO gave her confidence.

5. DatEnuguChic

April 14, 2016 at 11:07 am

JLo has a very good work ethic, She also has talent, Babe can sing, act, dance like no other and every other thing in between. She is also an Entrepreneur. Nothing to hate. She has JUST not been lucky in love. I guess in life you can never have it all.

• Ola-ola

April 14, 2016 at 11:58 am

Sing? What voice?
      She’s a hardworker though & is still very relevant in her industry. She has done well.

6. Segi

April 14, 2016 at 12:58 pm

Why on God’s beautiful and lushly earth do you want to be associated with the Kardashians?

7. Chiamaka Benson

April 14, 2016 at 2:22 pm

most OVERrated Entertainer of All Time
    Kinda like female version of Nigeria OC Okejie
    She still looks fantastic for her age but talent is absolutely zero

8. ebyie

April 14, 2016 at 2:25 pm

Because they are made by the Beautiful God who made this earth! I guess u are that Olodo from Mars…..

9. Debo

April 14, 2016 at 4:46 pm

Why do these female artistes keep claiming being underestimated or never been taking seriously when all they do is make everything about their appearance and flaunt their assets in the most offensive manner. It’s annoying when they keep saying things like its a man’s world and when a man does one thing well, he is seen as a genius. Why not? You don’t see men dress the most offensive way or do sexually offensive stuffs on screen ans still be graded genius. and if they do, they’ll have to prove themselves to the world- The reason why the likes of Jennifer Lopez constantly have to prove themselves is because they mostly project themselves as sexual tools or objects, irresponsible, and devoid of positive impacts and no one will ever think smart out of such features.

• treasure