Relationships

Why don’t Nigerians ever believe people’s ages? Haters come for 26 Year Old Adaeze Yobo

Adaeze Yobo, Jay and Joey Birthday 1

Joey Yobo – 6, Adaeze Yobo – 26 and Jay Yobo – 1

Every time we put up a celebrity’s age, many people don’t believe it.

Is it because a lot of celebrities – beauty queens and footballers especially, lie about their ages?

What exactly does it mean when people say someone “looks older”?

Even if you think someone “looks older” is it Okay to dampen their joy by congratulating them, but adding a little shade in there?

Adaeze Yobo, who is married to Nigerian footballer Joseph Yobo, 35 (according to Wikipedia) is the mother of their two kids, and she’s turning 26 tomorrow, on April 14, 2016. She just celebrated Joey, her eldest’s birthday, who is now six. Her baby Jay just turned one two weeks ago.

She posted some studio photos with her beautiful children, and came under attack from many for allegedly falsifying her age.

Here are the colourful images by Studio 24, and some of the unneccesary comments, which she responded to.Adaeze Yobo, Jay and Joey Birthday 4 Adaeze Yobo, Jay and Joey Birthday 3 Adaeze Yobo, Jay and Joey Birthday 2

HatersAdaeze Yobo is 26_Instagram Comments_5 Adaeze Yobo is 26_Instagram Comments_7 Adaeze Yobo is 26_Instagram Comments_8

Adaeze RespondsAdaeze Yobo is 26_Instagram Comments_1 Adaeze Yobo is 26_Instagram Comments_2

DefendersAdaeze Yobo is 26 on IG_Instagram Comments_1 Adaeze Yobo is 26 on IG_Instagram Comments_2 Adaeze Yobo is 26_Instagram Comments_4 Adaeze Yobo is 26_Instagram Comments_6 Adaeze Yobo is 26 on IG_Instagram Comments_3

1. nene

April 13, 2016 at 1:57 pm

BN you guys “Joseph Yobo, 35 (according to Wikipedia)” lmfao. adaeze’s age has been in doubt since she won MBGN, but i think she might be 26. even her younger sister looks older than her, so it might just be natural for them to look a bit older int heir family. It’s munachi abii that looks way over 30. Caroline danjuma claimed to be 26 last year, even though we all know she’s in her 30s.

• Lagos is my home

April 13, 2016 at 2:27 pm

Dont know aby Adaeze but Caroline age was just too funny . Can you imagine such lie from someone who been in d public eye

• Bade

April 13, 2016 at 6:19 pm

BN, I know she’s actually 26 but never in my life have I seen a more subjective headline in the history of journalism. You guys need to be brushed up seriously.

2. Kiiki

April 13, 2016 at 1:58 pm

@BellaNaija, on a lighter note, you had to include “according to Wikipedia” next to Joseph Yobo’s age? ???????????

• Sugar

April 13, 2016 at 3:57 pm

Its called the “Wikiage” also known as the football age

• Lee

April 13, 2016 at 7:50 pm

I have a friend who went to high school with Adaeze, (Vivian Fowler) and she’s indeed 26. She was born in 1990 and so is my friend. She had her son in 2010 and at the time, she had just clocked 20. Although, some footballers lie about their ages, that doesn’t mean Adaeze is also lying. It’s no news that she got pregnant when she was a teenager and got married at 19, so I’m shocked that anyone or most people (as stated) will doubt her age, if that’s the case as Bella Naija most times throws subtle shade. That being said, Happy Birthday in advance, Adaeze. Although you do unnecessary things at times, and react to things you really should ignore, I commend you for managing to keep your home, at such a young age, especially when many people thought otherwise. Here’s to many more glorious years. May God bless you and your family.

3. King Bae

April 13, 2016 at 2:02 pm

She’s a very beautiful girl and very public with her life, hence there would be criticism. Anything you put out there to the public via social media would always be judged…. #mytwocents

• Ginger

April 13, 2016 at 2:16 pm

King Bae therein lies the problem with many Nigerians. Rather than face a problem and try to curb it, we victim blame and teach people to avoid living normally so they won’t be victims.
      I think Adaeze is 26. If not for anything, her mum is a public figure and there are many people out there who can probably testify to when Adaeze was born.

That being said, online bullying is a madness that needs to stop. People need to mind their business. There is NO logic in saying that people should be insulted or have people being nosey or rude to them because they have social media or they’re celebrities. Why then do people lose their jobs for making racist and sexist comments on people’s social media pages, if it’s just them “airing their opinions”?

• King Bae

April 13, 2016 at 2:25 pm

I agree with you, hence my point of “…very public with her life”…. anything you put out there is open to criticism. I do believe some people are just bitter and have so much hate in them, but that’s unfortunate… that’s why things like this occur.

4. Bianca

April 13, 2016 at 2:10 pm

BN she actually had less than 5 people saying she was older, and most people’s comments were insulting those people.
    I think she’s 26. I also think Nigerian women are almost trained to display animosity to a Nigerian woman that’s NOT “meek and mild” ie “submissive”
    So we see people’s hatred for women that love social media or being out there eg Linda Ikeji, Toke, Omota at some point, Tiwa when she started owning her sexuality. People are comfortable when they see a “quiet” woman who doesn’t seem threatening.
    (I know it happens to men too, but I’m focusing on the women cause I’m one and that’s what I know)
    People see a celebrity doing really well, making money, being so famous, and the person has been out there for a long time, it’s hard to imagine that the person started early, at an age when you were studying for WAEC and getting a degree.

Also, there may be a jealousy factor. Adaeze at 26 is a past MBGN, married a pro footballer, and has 2 children. It’s definitely overwhelming, and someone with a complex or low self esteem could be riled up by such a thing.

I have a friend that anytime she sees a hot girl on Instagram that boys pay attention to, she screenshots the girls picture, and zooms in to inspect for Photoshop and whether the person has flawless skin or a good weave, or if she’s wearing authentic designers. She then fishes for negative stories about the person and tells all and sundry. Many are mad, and many that are mad have social media.

• Halima

April 13, 2016 at 2:43 pm

You said it all…

• Reetah

April 14, 2016 at 5:21 pm

No homo but… I love you!!!!

• Yori

April 15, 2016 at 5:05 am

What is it about you that attracts such a friend?

5. Halima

April 13, 2016 at 2:11 pm

They don’t believe people’s age because they are sometimes old and haven’t achieved half of what the person in question have achieved. They just want to say nonsense because it makes their worthless self feel good.

• Noms

April 13, 2016 at 2:40 pm

Thank you , Halima.
      You took the words out of my mouth.
      Dun mind them, for a fact some people reduce their age but can “we” accept people for who they say they are?
      Freda Francis (I had to bring her in because I know her personally) is 32 but world people will not agree because she “first them open eyes and lives a lifestyle that they dream of”.

• Sandra

April 13, 2016 at 4:55 pm

@Noms
      Freda Francis has not achieved what dreaming for ………….Maybe on your standard but Girl you need to up your standard fast , but then i digress
      Adaeze acts like 18years self so its easy to believe she is 26. Caroline on the other hands – all i can say is Bhahhahahhahahhahahah

• Jhenebreeze

April 13, 2016 at 6:56 pm

Freda Francis? Of all the examples of successful women to use, it was Freda Francis? Lolol

6. The real ibinabo

April 13, 2016 at 2:13 pm

Nigerian women!! I have noticed it is the non-achievers that are always doubting people’s ages, they are always jealous when someone has achieved a lot for themselves at a young age. If you check well, it is those accusing her of reducing her age that reduced theirs.

7. Le coco

April 13, 2016 at 2:25 pm

Yes there are some people who just generally like to dampen the joy of others.. I do believe she is 26… ppl think she is older mainly guess she has been. In the public eye for so long… BUT! There are others who are just blatantly falsifying ages.. EG.. Caroline danjuma claiming she is 28.. that’s jut Impossible.. Nd its nt asif people were trying to be mean.. its jst the blatant lying (with little thought), tht irks us.. Caroline has been out of nolly wood for about 10 years.. but before that she was acting for years… some roles such as party girls, university big babe etc.. are you going to tell me she was 14 playing such big madam roles? No nw…. so that’s just my issue. If hey wna lie about their age.. go ahead.. but let the lie be realistic abeg…

8. marlvina

April 13, 2016 at 2:38 pm

If Davido is 23 why can’t she be 26? She is well built and very blessed with a great husband and family. Dunno why people get so worried about people’s ages.

9. Noname

April 13, 2016 at 2:46 pm

If Oga Joseph lowered his age because of football it makes sense for her to do the same na. Kai laughing at her mother can never lie. Her mother fa, make I shut up before dem say I dey talk boosit

• Jhenebreeze

April 13, 2016 at 6:57 pm

Noname you don’t like making sense. People like you Remain anonymous and comment, the people you mentioned are succeeding and being talked about

• Noname

April 13, 2016 at 9:17 pm

Shut up stan of life. Make you leave your views wey make sense and move on oponu ode.

10. Martha Ako

April 13, 2016 at 2:51 pm

She’s blessed with such fine looking kids. She is fine herself

11. Cee

April 13, 2016 at 2:55 pm

To be honest Bella I do not know the answer to your question cause it baffles me. The way I see it if the lady is 20 or 40 it’s of no value to anyone. It will not achieve world peace, unemployment rate will not drop, even the hair on my leggs have not stopped growing. Happy birthday Adaeze. pretty lady

• Nneka

April 14, 2016 at 7:14 pm

Cee!! Love love your viewpoint. 20…26…40….. it can’t change the price of fish y’all!

12. Elaine

April 13, 2016 at 3:42 pm

Adaeze is 26 nah. With the way she behaves on social media, I would have said 21 sef, lol. Seems she missed out on a lot in her childhood and is taking it back. She’s legit 26, Its just that she got pregnant early and married and had kids. Ordinarily she would probably have just been having her first child now but you know….. circumstances, lol. She doesn’t look or behave older. Shes just got pregnant and had to marry early, so it seems she’s old. If Agbani married when she won and had 4 kids by now, nobody would believe shes just 32., some would think she’s in her early 40s. That’s why it seems Omotola and Genevieve are the same age every year, because people always assumed they were older and now they are actually just turning the ages people assumed them to be 10 years ago. Its not rocket science, its basic psychology. I don’t think its even about jealousy. People just don’t like people lying very obviously to the public, whether concerning age, house rent or fake/ real bag! Coupled with the fact that Nigeria is a very ageist society and you can lose out on certain things you might be entitled to just because of your age. In America and I mean North America not just the States, once you’re above 18/19, age matters not or rather 21 for some States and provinces. Nobody gives a damn about your age as long as you can bring something to anything, you are in. Happy Birthday Adaeze!

13. Nahum

April 13, 2016 at 3:45 pm

….I don’t care how old she is, her business. But ladies….it is not a compliment when people say you look old for your age. It is a major insult. I would be very sad if people told me that, but luckily I get the opposite ?.

14. Afua

April 13, 2016 at 3:58 pm

Question: Why don’t Nigerians ever believe people’s ages?

Answer: Let’s take Kiss Daniel for example. He claims to be 21, but he mentioned that he graduated from university 3 years ago, after having studied a 5-year engineering course. That would mean he graduated at 18 and got into university at 13. That’s not even factoring the delays from university strikes that he might have experienced at a public university.
    Then you also have Caroline Danjuma who claims to be 27, but has been married for around 10 years. Would that mean she was a child bride?
    Have we also forgotten about those footballers that drastically reduce their age in order to be accepted into under-xx groups?!

15. zzzzzzzzzzzzz

April 13, 2016 at 4:06 pm

It is her real age, took a selfie with her during her reign and she looked like a typical teenager

16. www.thelmathinks.com

April 13, 2016 at 4:12 pm

Adaeze is 26. I first saw her at a party when I was in my early 20s and I remember asking why someone in secondary school was at the party. A friend tried explaining that she’s one of the cool kids of Enugu, and I was all “so freaking what, today is Sunday and she should be ironing her school uniform and finishing up her homework right now!” LOL. Why was I so pained tho? So yeah I’m positive she’s 26. People need to stop being so insecure and taking it out on others.

17. Bey

April 13, 2016 at 4:17 pm

Adeaze went to my secondary school, VF. I didn’t even meet her in school, to show how young she is. She was the set of my friends junior sista. My friend and I were almost done with uni when she was in sec school.
    The girl is truly 26. I can remember she got pregnant and got married at 20 or smthn.

18. Jezebel

April 13, 2016 at 4:46 pm

She looks great, good for her. On another note, I’m 36 and found 2 strands of grey hair the other day! 2 strands, not 1 but 2! Where? On my head!!! I wasn’t sure how to deal so I cried a little in the bathroom, called my mom and bestie (their response? Laughter and how it’s a sign of wisdom and wealth) but nada still unsure how to deal.

What does it all mean? Is it that time? You know, time to book my botox, and nip and tuck appointments or just grab that ugly black hair dye? Tubs of which Sunday the driver used to tote around. Should I just pull them out? If I do will I be completely grey when I look in the mirror? Chai, does anyone have any non rhetorical answers to my rhetorical questions?

My incredibly stressful job doesn’t help at all. I’ve considered quitting and moving to a forest to live off the earth but dammit I hate living without my creature comforts.

What to do, what to do, how did you deal with going grey?

• Bola

April 13, 2016 at 9:21 pm

Trust me, Botox and surgery to look younger makes people’s faces and skin messed up eventually; sooner than expected even. I’ll give examples but I’m not that kind of person. My advise, try to relax and give yourself a break and a well needed treat. For example, you can book a massage at a good Spa once a month or once in two months; it’s really soothing and relaxing. There are some massages particularly known to alleviate/reduce stress so put that into consideration. For your hair, good quality Vitamin E Oil is notable for slowing down premature greying. That being said, some people just have grey hair and it doesn’t mean they are aging. I have a staff in his very early 20s and he has like only 5 strands of black hair. Sleep well, don’t stress too much. Jasmine and Lavender Oils are sometimes very relaxing and helps with anxiety or stress; they are known for their antidepressant properties. Just take care of yourself, don’t fret, give yourself a well needed treat once in a while, and eat well. Pray too. ☺️?

• Jezebel

April 14, 2016 at 3:57 am

@ Bola – haha at your prematurely grey colleague. Bestie aka younger brother is prematurely grey too and doesn’t feel my pain. BN thanks for the letting me get this off my chest.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

April 14, 2016 at 1:25 am

I’m with you on the stresses of the day job and I think my own strands of grey have more to do with that pressure than anything else. Why do I say this? There are certain women older than me whose physical features I’ve studied, and hot damn – babes are still looking fresh!

Seems to me that they’ve found the secret of cutting out unnecessary stress so I’m using that lesson and trying to learn to take it easy on my own self- life is not just about work, work and more work. Went for a massage last month for the very first time ever (an unexpected birthday treat) and I was amazed at how much it did for my state of mind. As in, wetin man dey work for if you can’t enjoy these simple pleasures? Plans are in progress to to book another session next month.

Find time for plenty of R&R, you can’t understand how much value it’ll bring to your well being and possible reduction of grey hair. Re the solution of hair dye, I’m also considering it… But that’s because I’ve been looking for a good reason to switch my hair colour to light brunette or auburn. ?

• Jezebel

April 14, 2016 at 9:12 am

Bingo! Non black hair dyes. I was a red head in law school I think I’ll be purchasing red in the not so distant future. Thank you for the life changing suggestion ?

• TA

April 14, 2016 at 7:48 pm

Mz SA, your head dey there! Go shopping and go for a relaxing massage afterwards. Guaranteed stress-buster .

19. looters

April 13, 2016 at 4:50 pm

I grew up in Enugu and its a pretty small town. She was a classmate of mine. We all knew when she ran for MBGN and won. I turned 26 last year October. I know for a fact she’s just only 26. She just got married and gave birth really early.

20. Tobigirl

April 13, 2016 at 5:07 pm

What do people mean when they say a person looks older than their age? IS there a 20, 30,40, 50, 60… year old look generally? Like here: INSERT PICTURE this is how everyone SHOULD look at this age. I need to know..

• Lee

April 13, 2016 at 8:09 pm

It annoys me. I’m 22 and people still think I’m a teenager. I get stopped when I’m driving for my license. I get asked for ID all the time. Some people even say I look 16. How do you see a person and guess their age by the way the person looks? Smh.

21. Lady S

April 13, 2016 at 6:23 pm

I just think for her age people think she has achieved so much.. Some people saw themselves having what she has at her age and are bitter they couldn’t make it… And honestly speaking I have an issue with that looking older thingy.. I look way younger than my age.. And some age mates of mine always give me that smallie look and don’t want to associate… It’s all good though.. I used to hate it but right now I really don’t care anymore.. Everyone has their life to live.. Adaeze started hers early.. Humans should please leave her alone!

22. OmaOma

April 13, 2016 at 9:09 pm

Some Nigerians shaaaa!! When you don’t state your age, wahala! When you do, double wahala!!!*smh*

23. Pretty girl

April 13, 2016 at 11:20 pm

Some people should learn to mind their own business. Some people look older than their age while some like me look younger. I am 27 but when I tell people they tell me I am lying that I look 22. Pls allow the babe rest

24. queen bee

April 14, 2016 at 11:34 am

Dey there they argue about her age na she dey chop the life of her head,26 or not …none of my business… mscheewwww #whistling away

25. dixiemami

April 14, 2016 at 12:09 pm

That’s her real age. Haters stop hating.

26. dixiemami

April 14, 2016 at 12:11 pm

what is there business with her. people should learn how to mind their business in this Nigeria. Adeaze Yobo is having the time of her life and some busy body people are talking about her age. Come off it.

27. Fabulicious

April 14, 2016 at 2:24 pm

Nne dont even bother.You are just getting started..Its even going to get worse by the time your children are bigger cos you will still be this yummy when your kids are done with college and those ones will clearly say maybe you are their stepmum cos you can’t be their mum.My mum experienced this first hand and i am already getting it too.When they can’t find anything to say,they will just say you are just lucky you married early.When people have problem with things like this,it comes from within..Let them keep hating and keep getting older than their ages.

28. Ebony

April 15, 2016 at 4:09 pm

In Adaeze’s case, I think it’s ‘cos people feel like she’s been in the limelight for so long (and been married with a kid then). So in their heads they have known about her “adult life” for a long time, “so how can she possibly be 26”?
    Oh well..
    “I haven’t achieved much, so don’t be intimidated by the success you’ve imagined in your head that I have” New level of respect for the amazing choice of words.
    A lot of us do that. Imagine other people are better off (than they actually are or than yourself) and give yourself headache and depression in the process.
    Focus on watering your own grass and listen to JCole’s Love Yours