Scoop

Charles Novia defends Azuka Ogujiuba as she responds to Comments about her not being a “Seasoned Journalist”

BellaNaija.com

Azuka-Charles-Novia

Yesterday BN TV published Azuka Ogujiuba’s response to critics who had something to say about her mannerism during her interview with Tiwa Savage and since then even more comments have sprung up tackling her professionalism and tackling BN’s choice of words in describing her as a “seasoned journalist”.

Rising to defend her, Charles Novia posted on his Facebook page:

I know Azuka Francisca Ogujiuba well. She’s a journalist with Thisday and a good friend I have known for years. When I watched the video and saw her as the interviewer, I immediately knew she was conducting an interview for PRINT and not television. I instinctively knew Azuka never expected that the video recording would go viral. And I was right. I deliberately did not mention the interviewer in my article because of that instinct and in a way, my discretion is vindicated. The Azuka I know is not the “front-of-the-camera” person. Be that as it may, I think she should have asked more probing questions for the print edition she assumed she was conducting the interview for. But then again, Tiwa preempted most of the questions and went all out.

Azuka herself has reacted to the comments via her Facebook page as well. In her response she went on to list her accolades and qualifications.

See what she posted below.

Woooooooow, lam really trending o, world people have now created another version n topic ‘The Interviewer’ out of Tiwa Savage n Teeblizz marital woe saga. The issue on ground have been shifted aside and my body language n mannerism during my chat with her is now giving some people sleepless nights.

1. gary

May 3, 2016 at 2:15 pm

I hav a problem believing the words of anyone who says.. ” firstly, secondly, thirdly, fourthly, fifthly”. I mean are you in primary 1?

• cara

May 3, 2016 at 3:47 pm

I tire o!
      Btw, that face doesn’t resemble the one I saw in that tiwa interview, is it just me?

• Ready

May 3, 2016 at 5:58 pm

Aunty Azuka, since you’re taking the good criticism, here I go. You make me worried about the state of journalism in Nigeria with words like fourthly, fifthly, etc. Sisteh…tuhh! Print?

• Nnamdi

May 3, 2016 at 6:42 pm

People can be so wicked sometimes. It is vehement criticism that I don’t like. The kind of criticism that can drive a person to commit suicide after which the same people start saying nice things about the victim. Azuka. Keep your head up and keep improving. They like to hide under the fact that it can’t be seen. I believe in constructive criticism. It is the evil one I don’t like. Ask them to try your position for 2minutes, they will start shaking like jelly fish.

• Oh please!

May 4, 2016 at 10:45 am

Dear Nnamdi,

People can be so wicked at times….? Can you hear yourself. Azuka is one of Nigeria’s chief critics. She is the queen of using her pen to bash celebrities and tell them what they are doing wrong. Now she can’t handle a taste of her own medicine.
      This is someone that is merciless with the pen and a notorious gossip on the social scene. She forced herself into the limelight by conducting an interview she thought would make her a celebrity, but it has backfired by showing how ill-equipped and unqualified she is for the job. She can hide behind print articles, with spell check coming to the rescue and a senior editor to correct her grammatical mistakes, but the TV interview just showed us how incompetent journalists have jobs they have no business doing. Friends can come online to defend her but that’s the problem with Nigeria, we give jobs to friends instead of giving it to people who are actually capable and qualified. She should spend less time critiqueing and spreading gossip about others and more time learning her job. She’s 45 years old and has spent decades tearing people down at the slight of a pen. What have you been doing all these years that you can’t even conduct a TV interview? My advice to Azuka is to spend more time honing your craft and less time bashing people who have worked hard to get where they are. What goes around comes around!

• Laila

May 3, 2016 at 7:18 pm

Lol! And that Novia guy”s GPS seems like its programmed to locate and side with whichever swag is heading South !!! I wonder what other debris he can scoop from this saga.

• nnenne

May 3, 2016 at 10:14 pm

Azuka, if you are reading this, please know that I love your work ethic.
      Am surprised none of your critics could comment on that.
      Who knew a Nigerian, especially, a woman could wake up at the wee hours of the morning, just to get an interview.
      Could you imagine what Nigeria would look like, if all our public servants were that conscientious?

Of course, there’s always room to learn and perfect in our chosen crafts.
      Good job, hunny, and keep it coming.
      Much love! !

• larz

May 4, 2016 at 8:51 am

And I also don’t trust someone that can leave her daughter alone to go after news and then brag about it! I am not sure it is something to be proud of.

2. Vote Brexit

May 3, 2016 at 2:17 pm

Well, now we know that her written English is equally poor for a journalistic from the ‘prestigious (cough cough) UniLag Mass Comm’ aka my Jamb score was too low for my first choice subject so I just enter anywhere sha.

• Vote Brexit

May 3, 2016 at 3:03 pm

I didn’t read her statement in full first time because I was immediately put off by the first 2 sentences. But this is really appalling! She claims she’s a print journo so she should be able to write and construct proper sentences. She can’t spell, even ‘journaist’, ‘televison’, ‘critism’ etc is misspelt, poor grammar & punctuation, uses l instead i?!? Who does that? And she graduated? Just Wow.

• Anon

May 3, 2016 at 4:16 pm

I don’t think she did the Mass Communication degree. Back then, the JAMB score to get in was as high as the one for Law. I doubt it has changed. In that department, they do short courses like a one year diploma. She may have done one of those short courses.

Why Brexit? In for me and not out.

• Mr. Egghead

May 3, 2016 at 4:00 pm

UNILAG and “prestigious” should not be used in the same sentence

• BitterTruth

May 3, 2016 at 4:21 pm

Azuka probably has incriminating photographs of Nduka Obaigbena locked up in a safe somewhere…Ditto those of Professor Ralph Akinfeleye of Unilag and the JAMB Registrar. That’s the only plausible explanation for her journalism “career”
      By the way, Unilag’s Mass Comm. cut-off point in the 80s and 90s was higher than that of any other course, so you had to be extremely bright to get in.

• vibi

May 3, 2016 at 6:02 pm

Hahaha,,,,, When last did I think of that cross-eyed and bad-tempered Akinfeleye.! He was HOD or so, abi!

• Hahahaha

May 4, 2016 at 10:56 am

Hahahahaha! One really does have to wonder why that office is a haven of females prone to extreme anti-social behaviour. Its just easier to befriend these folks so you don’t find yourself on the wrong side of their poisonous pens. Funny thing is they probably think people actually like them but don’t realise its a defense mechanism to stay out of the press.

• Author Unknown

May 3, 2016 at 4:56 pm

@ Vote Brexit. Don’t because of these self proclaimed journalists demean people that study programs outside of the traditional favourites of Medicine, Law etc., journalism included. At the end of the day, we can’t all be doctors, lawyers and accountants. There’s a role for everyone, and it’s about how well you do whatever you do, really.

PS: If there was a proper regulatory body for this profession, I doubt she’ll be talking like this. Someone that won’t even be shortlisted to intern at any major news outlet in the developed world.

• Lois

May 3, 2016 at 7:16 pm

Chai! You’re wicked o…lol

3. Joker

May 3, 2016 at 2:19 pm

What a dufus! That’s why she will never learn. Her grammar? Terrible for a print journalist. These are the reasons why the language is suffering. Azuka, if you can’t speak English, write in Igbo!

the issue on ground have been shifted…really? HAVE? not HAS?
    And replacing I with l is just terrible really!
    And who told you that typing “n” instead of and is okay?

These are the reasons why you will not learn and not grow. Enjoy your mediocre career!!

4. Me

May 3, 2016 at 2:26 pm

Let’s stop making excuses for mediocrity. Her level of spoken and written English are really really really subpar. The body language etc are another issue all together.

• Tee

May 3, 2016 at 3:12 pm

Yes! Exactly! I was going to say the same. I didn’t even have a problem with her body language, gestures or mannerisms, I only had a problem with the OBVIOUS grammatical errors she was making, her inability to properly construct her questions/sentences such that they came out very INCOHERENT, and just the fact that she didn’t even ask the questions well. Whether print or electronic media, she just didn’t try at all and she is still giving excuses for it. She is obviously not ready to learn! And BN, “seasoned”, kwa? What were you thinking?

• OSE

May 3, 2016 at 5:24 pm

In this context, ‘seasoned’ means experienced.. Bye

• Funmi

May 3, 2016 at 5:48 pm

My thoughts exactly. It was like she didn’t know what questions to ask, ok, if you don’t know write it all down on a note pad instead of trying to remember it during the video recorded interview. Do print journalist ls not carry notepads around?
      As usual Nigerians shoving mediocrity down our throats.

• Weezy

May 3, 2016 at 5:48 pm

I have a funny feeling that this is the first time she is getting real feedback on her work.

I agree that there is some “hate” in some comments, when people start talking about her appearance and abusing her. But the criticism still stands that her interview could have been much better.

5. Cheekie

May 3, 2016 at 2:27 pm

How sad,even her response shows how crass she is..They should drink acid,really?…She didn’t even speak proper english,grammatical errors here and there,tell me what has that got to do with not being trained to be in front of the camera..Excuses.
    And what exactly are you defending Mr Novia,mediocrity at its finest? In school of journalism wasn’t being in front of the camera and TV media part of the courses you took Azuka.. That your Forte is print doesn’t mean when you get the scoop of probably your career so far,you make a blunder of it…You left your daughter,you were on the road at 2am blah blah…Lol,you best believe Amanpour,Becky Anderson and the likes have been in worse terrains to cover a story,to interview citizens in war torn countries…
    Get a training in communications,you don’t speak well ma,its not about having an accent..
    Watch Diane Sawyer and others and see how they would have conducted such interview…Body language zero,diction zero,everything zero…
    FYI,Tiwa didn’t preempt most of the questions,Azuka just lacked the skills to probe further and ask the right questions…A seasoned journalist never allows the interviewee take over the interview…
    Get training,get more training and stop resting on your laurels and making silly excuses…Still don’t know how you got This Day job….Nepotism i guess…

6. Author Unknown

May 3, 2016 at 2:28 pm

Textbook journalist. So bad she had to check off the “Risk” box. You didn’t go to ISIS territory, or a war zone my dear, Leaving your daughter in a bedroom (probably so she won’t interrupt) and being driven on third mainland at that time of the morning DO NOT compare, Then you had to call out your ‘haters’ by telling them to drink acid, and you claim to be a professional? Wow. Did they not teach you about that at the prestigious Mass Comm department of Unilag?

• Author Unknown

May 3, 2016 at 7:02 pm

“When I watched the video and saw her as the interviewer, I immediately knew she was conducting an interview for PRINT and not television”.
      It occurred to me, wasn’t this the same guy that criticised Tiwa’s appearance? If he knew that the interview was for PRINT and not television like he now claims, why did he criticise her so harshly? See fake people?

7. onyx

May 3, 2016 at 2:34 pm

I can’t for the life of me understand why people in the public eye In ican’t afnigford to take criticism. I

• Concerned citizen

May 3, 2016 at 4:06 pm

It’s because Nigerians don’t know how to give constructive criticism. We’re very quick to attack and complain. Rather than appreciating ones effort and advice them where they can develop.

• dupsy

May 3, 2016 at 5:59 pm

I agree with your comment, I feel the lady did a really awful job but at the same time the way my Naija peeps all started attacking her outright without even trying to find at least some things she did well in the interview was what made me to start thinking to myself about our attitude in general as a people. My oyinbo folks always call criticism giving feedback and they tell you to say 2 stars and a wish which means you first start with the good things the person has done before telling them what they should improve on. The way people started blowing hailstone and brimstone on this interviewer really shocked me. Yes it is really and visibly obvious that she lacked a lot of empathy in the way she conducted the interview but at least try and give her the kudos for being able to get the opportunity to get Tiwa who had earlier been vilified for letting out her own side of the story. People saying the lady had no empathy or feelings should know this is the picture of our society at large, have you ever seen people gathering to listen to gist that had to do with something terrible happening to others in Nigeria? How many people show empathy even when they hear something terrible happened to others? People will even say the unfortunate person deserves what they get! It is a wider societal problem my people!

• Weezye

May 3, 2016 at 6:21 pm

Actually, a lot of people have given constructive criticism in this and the other post. If she chooses to focus only on the ‘haters’ that is her choice.

The reality is that she underestimated and misread the situation. just reading her facebook post, its clear that she didn’t think it would be such a big deal. Which I cannot even understand. I rarely listen to Tiwa Savage, and I’ve never even heard of Teebillz. But the guy was threatening suicide and said all kinds of wild things about his wife on social media. All kinds of people who normally wouldn’t pay attention are going to now.

When she gave the interview, people were ready to condemn Tiwa, and there was a lot of speculation that was making her look bad and shaming her for not being the good wifey. Many of us suspected that there was more to the story. Azuka was the first person to hear that story, and given how dramatic the story was, her questions and manner did not seem to match what she was hearing. When someone is telling you a story about emotional suffering and financial abuse, and you are rolling a pen and saying why did we go to dubai… It looks like you either don’t care or are judging the person you are listening to. I refuse to believe this is what reputable, high quality journalism teaches.

Can we talk about this complaint that the interview was not supposed to be publicized. Frankly whoever decided to release the interview is BRILLIANT. I want to work for that person. There is no way Azuka would have written anything half as impactful as the content she was given. Which leads me to conclude that she is better off sticking to light and entertaining subjects.

This is the first time she is getting feedback on the quality of her work from people who are not her friends or not afraid of her. Hope she learns from it.

8. Jagaban

May 3, 2016 at 2:37 pm

I seriously don’t blame the likes of Freeze or this Novia. I blame BN for always posting their most times mediocre and unnecessary views to the world. Yeye dey smell. Keep on enabling them BN. Oshi

9. onyx

May 3, 2016 at 2:40 pm

I can’t for the life of me understand why people in the public eye in Nigeria can’t afford to take criticism. Its downright disgusting really. That’s why they don’t improve in their craft because in their tiny bubble, they’re doing one heck of a job. The use of the word ‘hater(s)’ is now the defense mechanism to mask their failures. Dear Azuka you were terrible in that interview. Own it and get better. That’s how you’ll grow and In your very lame attempt to defend yourself you made so many spelling errors which tells a lot about your attention to detail as a journalist. And for Charles Novia, the words I have for you will be too crude and x-rated for BN to approve. Twat.

• Mama

May 4, 2016 at 7:35 am

If you know how I hate to hear the word “hater” aka “haterz” ehn. It is truly the new “go to” word for those who can’t take criticism. Very annoying!

10. Cynthia

May 3, 2016 at 2:57 pm

“I instinctively knew Azuka never expected that the video recording would go viral.” Tiwa is a big name. The story was headline news. How daft of “Seasoned Journalist” to assume the video won’t go viral.
    There’s no excuse for mediocrity.
    Azuka, you did a poor job.
    Learn, improve and stop making excuses.

11. sexy o

May 3, 2016 at 3:05 pm

We live in a world where people seat in front of their laptop and write trash. She’s given her explanations be done with it already. People should move pass this abeg. This sun too hot for cyber bullying.

• Me

May 3, 2016 at 3:43 pm

@Sexy O – It’s ‘people sit in front of’, not ‘people seat in front of’.

12. observer

May 3, 2016 at 3:09 pm

Hmmmmm panel of judges. Wether her English spoken/written is poor or has good command people will definitely have something talk about, So being real is now an offence right? You guys are here drinking Panadol for another person’s headache and she’s out there making her cash. Hissessssss.

13. Rose Okwy

May 3, 2016 at 3:09 pm

Kai!!!!!! this person is a graduate!!!! She spoke like a 4 year old explaining why he took the cookie from the jar. The English is so poor and that get back or clap back she has is too childish for a ‘seasoned’ journalist. Lady my advise is to stop talking and writing till you gain a better perspective on public speaking and writing. I am embarrassed for you. It is just terrible. Even if it was for print, comport yourself accordingly, you were a brick, what life did you risk? did you go to look for Boko haram hideout,? Were you pursuing a story in war torn Syria? Risk ke? Don’t you go partying at that same hour of night? Abeg please hush, this just angered me. I bet you won’t know journalism if it bit you in that emotionless/expressionless face. You can show concern without picking sides. Nne, mbaaaaaaa, from one igbo chick to another, mbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! You are telling you fans/readers to drink acid, without this same folks reading your rubbish , would you have that unmerited ‘seasoned’ journalism attached to your name? Ewu! Jee nodu ani biko!!

14. Flipping heck!

May 3, 2016 at 3:22 pm

I thought she would respond to the criticism gracefully.

I thought wrong.

This woman is clearly not used to being told the truth. Her reaction is unbelievable childish!!!

15. I said so

May 3, 2016 at 3:25 pm

We know Nigerians overdo criticism most times but if the entire public is steadily criticising your mannerism during the tiwa savage interview then the least you can do for yourself is to learn from any mistake you made and move on quietly with your profession. Your response is rather crude to people whom you think left the “main issue” to face you. I haven’t seen the interview yet (ain’t got mb for that) but i have been able to paint a clear picture of your body language in my head from the comments.My dear, whether the interview was for print or tv as charles novia is putting it, you need to polish yourself -mannerism, diction,and even your temper (you sounded pained in your response) better so that brows aren’t raised when you go out there and call yourself a journalist.

16. LadyWithoutTheAfrolocs

May 3, 2016 at 3:27 pm

edakun, which one is fourthly, fifthly, sixthly?
    LMAO!!!
    terrible!

• Simply Karma

May 3, 2016 at 7:42 pm

E remain seventhly, eigthly…. jeez what a shame!

17. Layo

May 3, 2016 at 3:28 pm

“as a true journalist would do for an exclusive interview by leaving my daughter alone in the bedroom, not thinking incase there was a sudden fire outbreak or something”

Please who has the number for child welfare services inn Nigeria?

This woman has just foolishly confessed to being an unfit mother, all in the name of trying to prove she’s a true journalist… Doesn’t she understand that the internet never forgets?
    If she takes her daughter on holiday or to live in the UK or US and there’s any “accident”, the way they will call up this her Facebook rant and use it to demonize her ehn….she will fear God next time.

Arrant nonsense!!!

18. Lol

May 3, 2016 at 3:37 pm

You are a mumu just like the woman you’re defending. “Where people seat”…excuse me, the correct word is SIT.
    It’s astonishing how many people can’t speak or write properly.

Azuka stfu and get off your high horse. You were terrible and deserve to be called out. The fact you left your child at home at 2am is not our business….did we ask you to become a journalist? Just accept the criticism and look for ways to improve.

19. Anon

May 3, 2016 at 3:39 pm

The interview was candid and straight to the point.
    Her use of colloquial language was appropriate to the informal setting of the interview.
    She had to be unbiased, that is what gave the interview an authentic feel. Good interviewers are SUPPOSED to be UNBIASED. We are not interested in what the interviewer thinks or feels, their prospective is irrelevant.
    The interview was devoid of unnecessary theatrics on her part, which if she had given into would have caused it to look like a silly pantomime.
    She did not make this interview all about herself, her technique was to step away from the lime light and give tiwa a platform to express herself and boy did tiwa use that limelight.
    Maybe next time Azuka you could use some silly americanised, britico accent plus get your hair did and eye brows on flick loooool.
    Seriously Azuka gurl, opinion polls would reflect the literacy level of the people giving it. . The global literacy rate for all people aged 15 and above is 86.3% in nigeria it is far below at 59.6% Ghana is higher at 76.6%. in other words Azuka babes don’t sweat the nigerian opinion polls. You got the right people rooting for you. And for Gods sake Azuka, DON’T CLAP BACK. Over to my unpaid proof reading editors.

• Green Land

May 3, 2016 at 4:09 pm

No doubt you are one of the problems we have in the Nigeria society today….. who talked about britico and Americana english and a whole bunch of crap you just typed here…… you need to be flogged .. receive sense can’t do much for you at this stage ..sigh……

• Soji

May 3, 2016 at 10:14 pm

Thank you for your insightful analysis @anon. And thank you green-twit and co for affirming the Nigerian literacy hypothesis.

• benson

May 3, 2016 at 4:29 pm

I,ve read most of the comments and was getting swayed by popular opinion then i read your comment then went back and watched the interview. i must admit you got a point in fact a few good ones. Her composure mirrored the tension in the room. it was quiet a real. and difficult interview and even though Tiwa was clearly emotional she was able to stir her back to fact. good job. Perhaps there would be a part 2.

• Ada

May 3, 2016 at 6:26 pm

why are you making this about her accent ?

20. Cheekie

May 3, 2016 at 3:42 pm

Seasoned and Azuka should never be in the same sentence….Please go and use Funmi Iyanda as your case study to improve and work on your print or TV media journalism…Funmi Iyanda and seasoned should be used in the same sentence,she would have nailed that interview…And please stop talking,stop posting and defending yourself,i am ashamed and embarrassed for you..Am sure your prestigious Uni lag is also wondering where they went wrong..

21. Mz Socially Awkward...

May 3, 2016 at 3:44 pm

Okay, Azuka and Charles. Whatever you both say.

The supreme irony is that this is Charles Novia now spouting this conciliatory verse of scripture… the same man who’s usually the very first to boldly call-out anybody he believes to be unworthy of their craft. So unlike you to shy away from saying it like it is, Charles… I wonder why.

Azuka, keep doing what you’re doing, boo-boo. If excellence doesn’t appeal in the slightest to you, then I agree that the world should just let you be what you’ve chosen to be.

To any other young, fresh-faced, aspiring journalist out there – THIS is not the standard. Make it your certain aim to rise far above it.

• Green Land

May 3, 2016 at 4:19 pm

Lol……. abi if excellence doesn’t appeal to you , biko keep doing what your doing… But the young ones do not follow that foot step of mediocrity… that display is not okay, accepted and you wouldn’t mark excellence in your career with that , but then again it’s Nigeria we are talking about any rubbish seems to go……

• Oyindee

May 3, 2016 at 5:06 pm

I was unconsciously waiting for your comment(shines teeth)until I saw this and boy you didn’t disappoint, the last statement though…if that was not a punch line, I don’t know what else is…madam seasoned journalist,use your time wisely go back to school and learn more of journalism and writing if that’s really your passion if not please take the next exit …

22. Anonymous

May 3, 2016 at 3:44 pm

Fifthly……Azuka are you for real. Ignore your perceived notion that you are being cyber bullied. Just take time off and brush up your communication skills. You will be better for it in the long run. All the best to you as you work on yourself

23. Missy J

May 3, 2016 at 3:52 pm

So much from a lady who wrote about Dbanj having a dead career.

The biggest room in the world is the room improvement, Aunty Azuka make use of that room.

24. saywhat

May 3, 2016 at 3:53 pm

Dear seasoned journalist…. your English is poor. The use of “n” and “fifthly” gave it all away that you lack basic skills. Even if I was to believe you, your comeback response with obvious errors is not acceptable. Accept the criticism and just go take some time to work on your craft. Its only necessary for growth.

25. Teni

May 3, 2016 at 3:54 pm

This Tiwa saga is the gift that keeps on giving (the blogs and noisemakers like Novia).

26. GREEN LAND

May 3, 2016 at 3:57 pm

SO Sad that even your statement is so poor…… now I see the reason why you are in the level that you are in professionally .. even the country Nigeria doesn’t help matters , when there’s no much TOP NOTCH competition, so therefore we will continue to see the likes of Auzka…. jokes….. you are unbelievable… with this mediocre statement you made you just murdered yourself even deeper .
    AZUKA PLEASE LEAVE PRESTIGIOUS SCHOOL MATTER ALONE LEAVE THAT MATTER BIKO , INVEST IN YOURSELF AND GO FOR FURTHER TRAINING BOTH IN WRITTEN AND VISUAL, SPEAKING AND EVERYTHING CONCERNING JOURNALISM SO YOU CAN BE READY FOR ANY KIND OF EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW GIVEN TO YOU ,THAT’S HOW TO BE ON TOP OF YOUR GAME AND A BOSS IN YOUR PROFESSION. Then you shouldn’t have gone on with the interview if it wasn’t your “style” as you put it sounding stupid saying that ,then for you doing something very unprofessional and mediocre AND PUTTING YOUR PROFESSIONAL CAREER TO BE MURDERED BUT HEY I’M SURE YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS ..YOU KNOW WHY??BCOS YOU HAVE NO SOLID PROFESSIONAL IMAGE TO PROTECT OR INVESTMENT TO PROTECT, YOU VALUE AN EXCLUSIVITY MORE THAN YOU PROFESSIONAL IMAGE.
    KEEP GOING FOR SHORT SHORT TRAINING TILL YOU MASTER THE ART.AND EVEN WHEN YOU MASTER THE ART IT DOESN’T STOP YOU FROM INVESTING IN YOUR SELF PROFESSIONALLY SO YOU CAN BE ON TOP OF YOUR GAME TILL.YOU RETIRE… And please don’t make anymore statement. biko

27. Tuu

May 3, 2016 at 4:13 pm

Biko Chere o! Is this not the same Azuka that had the guts to talk trash about Toke and even cyber bullied her with her article? Now she can’t bear cyber bullying right? Lol! I love the media and how tables always turn. This just reminds me of Kelly Osbourne and Guiliana Rancic. You never really know when the tables turn. Lolzzz! Azuka you deserve it abeg! Whether print or Tv, you truly deserve the backlash, your mannerisms, gestures and wacky incoherent questions were part of the reasons some folks didn’t believe Tiwa’a story cos they felt it was all staged and you were a bad actor. You just embarrassed whatever schools you attended and Mr Charles Novia please take several seats.. Please!!!! You’re being biased because she’s your friend. If you didn’t know jack about her, You will go for the kill. Abeg make we hear word for una.

28. Mara

May 3, 2016 at 4:18 pm

Wow, her writing sucks… really poor. I’ve heard several times that she got her position at ThisDay because of ‘connections’ and not because she’s qualified. Well, I guess this confirms it.

29. Anon

May 3, 2016 at 4:20 pm

After all these years in the media, it’s sad that she has refused to polish herself and to take corrections regarding all her blunders. It’s obvious she never knew she would get this far. Pity! Anyway, we all know what is keeping her in her job at This Day.

30. Tokunbo

May 3, 2016 at 4:22 pm

Did anyone see what Azuka wrote on her facebook wall? in case you missed it :
    ‘”Woooooooow, lam really trending o, world people have now created another version n topic ‘The Interviewer’ out of Tiwa Savage n Teeblizz marital woe saga. The issue on ground have been shifted aside and my body language n mannerism during my chat with her is now giving some people sleepess nights. I have one advice for people talking down on my profesional approach especially my colleagues- The training l got from the prestigious University of Lagos Mass Comm depart, as a print journalist is to go after the scoop first, how l looked or stared at Tiwa is not important but the story lam after. Secondly, was l able to make Tiwa talk about the allegations presented by her husband? Of course YES, that is what is important. Thirdly, did l have a good network to get the exclusive interview? YES obviously. Fourthly, did l risk my life as a true journaist would do for an exclusive interview by leaving my daughter alone in the bedroom, not thinking incase there was a sudden fire outbreak or something, or what about me who had to be driven from the mainland to the island on that dark and lonely third mainland bridge by 2.15 am? YES, l took one of the biggest risk of my life. Fourthly, why would Tiwa prefer me to all the televison personalities that has been compared to me to interview her, and some of these TV personalities are always hanging around her more than me? It is simply because she respects my style of journalism. Fifthly, Some people said l didnt show any empathy towards Tiwa when she cried and how did they know? And if l had been mushy mushy during my chat, they will still find fault n say l was biased. I bet a lot of these people abusing wish they were the ones who did that interview, too bad l have done it and nothing dey happen for igboro..End of the day what gave me so much satisfaction was that l did the exclusive interview with Tiwa, l have done my bit as a print journaist(not TV) If anybody is so pained by my approach, they should drink acid o, ‘CYBER BULLYING’ has no space in my territory and to be honest l dont give a hoot about those hateful comments which they claim is criticism, anyway, it is a free world people are allowed to vent their frustrations termed critism. Iam not saying l wont pick from the criticism, the good ones l have happily accepted and the bad ones l have sent back to the senders o..LOL.. Its a new week FB family, may God almighty bless our hustle in Jesus name. Amen!””

Azuka for a woman your age, this above piece IS A BIG SHAME. Journalism is not about diss articles, latest attires, hanging out with the IT CROWD and selfies, its about reporting pure undiluted news in the most professional manner. TV, RADIO OR PRINT there is a level of professionalism expected and if you can’t see that then thats a shame. Everyone cannot just want to attack you, heck who knew you until now? Yes you covered the olajumoke story but apart from that what big thing have you done? this was YOUR MOMENT, YOUR OPPORTUNITY to step it UP you think you’ll be called next time for an exclusive? i doubt. As for Charles Novia, who tore down Tiwa and is praising Azuka you are no different from Freeze an old fool speaking from both sides of your mouth. This is not cyber bullying or whatever you people call it i can say this to your face.

• aisha

May 3, 2016 at 5:56 pm

Toks which level. na, looool. who you done Epp with this your long bitter monologue. The lady got paid. Your opinion aint worth a fart. Tiwa requested for azuke to interview her, she didn’t ask for any of your glam puss sisters cause she knew they’d be trying to steal her thunder. Tiwa your sister na drama queen too. maybe you should direct some of your venom towards her and her demon tunde. let it go already. you are beginning to sound like a broken record.

31. Smh

May 3, 2016 at 4:29 pm

Olodo Azuka

Can’t believe she is actually trying to defend that DISMAL interview. She is a disgrace to her profession. I hide my head in shame on behalf of all Unilag Mass Comm graduates.

32. Ibinabo

May 3, 2016 at 4:38 pm

Azuka, your article is senseless, did you read through before posting? It would have been safer to be silent. Hate it or love it, you sucked at that interview.
    Must Charles Novia write about everything?
    #Mediocrityatitspeak.

33. Hmm

May 3, 2016 at 4:43 pm

Dude, you’re not a seasoned journalist.

*drops mic

34. madman

May 3, 2016 at 4:45 pm

Trying to defend madness, lady go have a seat. You are NOT a JOURNALIST.

35. Confused

May 3, 2016 at 4:50 pm

Naija, I hail O! So the attention has shifted from the bed warmers, sniffers and debtors to a hapless poor journalist? Wetin person no go see for Naija.

36. passingby

May 3, 2016 at 4:52 pm

whats all this nonsense witch hunting about. tbh i didn’t even notice Azuka in the interview my whole focus was on Tiwa. thats why it was a great interview. a beg joor. some of you talking bout english language need to go find were yall dropped your H’s mtchewwww, ipocrites.

• mediocrity

May 3, 2016 at 6:04 pm

passingby, I mistakenly liked your comment, BN abeg give me my like back.
      How can people be supporting mediocrity like this, kai

37. NaijaPikin

May 3, 2016 at 5:17 pm

“Excuses are tools of the incompetent which create monuments of nothingness. Those who specialize in them are seldom good in anything”

Charles please be quiet and allow this babe to go and work on her craft. Yes there are print, audio, and TV journalists, But any good journalist should be able to switch between all 3 even if their strength lies in 1. News can break anywhere in any form. There is always a quest to be 1st on the scene. If you are there saying you can’t go in front of camera to cover breaking news, you have to wait for an on air person from your company to come through, the next company gets the exclusive and your oga might just fire your ass.

The teebillz story broke in the morning, she said she was called to Tiwas house 2am the next morning. That was more than enough time to prepare. Even if the interview was for print, the questions she had were very weak. She clearly had written the questions out and they still sounded weak.

Azuka learn from this, go get better, and come out stronger.

38. Sherry

May 3, 2016 at 5:17 pm

All the criticism must have struck a nerve for the response. Telling folks to drink acid as a defence mechanism will not counteract the negative image you portrayed during that interview. The fact is, you are a D-list journalist and you have ways to go. Awful is awful, and that’s exactly what that interview was. The almost 45mins could have been a monolgue by Ms Savage. Universities should be using that interview as a case study for students “What NOT to do during an interview “. Truth hurts.

39. Fola Coco

May 3, 2016 at 5:45 pm

Fourthly fifthly…This is the reason why parents work so hard and sacrifice a lot to ensure their kids school abroad..Or go to expensive primary and secondary schools…That being said having a Harvard Journalism university degree,or a Journalism university degree from the prestigious university of lagos,is not where learning begins and ends…There are many people out there Azuka who will rubbish your University degree,people who are self taught,who have invested in short courses on communication,writing,public speaking. Who have read books,watched videos on spoken grammar/english,diction,phonetics, etc…

Imagine a Medical Doctor who specialized in Orthopedic and Neurosurgery, saying he can’t diagnose if a patient has malaria or typhoid…Simply because Orthopedic is his field of expertise,lol,so wasn’t it general medicine he was taught in Medical school for 6yrs +?
    We are only as smart as what we know not knew…Improve on your skills and harness your skills..Learning is not restricted to the classroom,or prestigious school you graduated from…

40. bims

May 3, 2016 at 5:48 pm

The first IGBO DEMON I’ve seen…fact!

Haba!!!! Even if the interview was for PRINT, how does that excuse your lack of sympathy and down right look of disgust as you interviewed this woman?

So let’s reverse the case. Lets say it was for”PRINT”, you will have acted more humane? Stop pretending and making excuses. Learn from it and move on. Naija be pissing me off. Women’s lack of support for fellow women

41. Observer

May 3, 2016 at 6:09 pm

Mo gbe! Is this the type of ‘seasoned journalists’ that the ‘prestigious’ Unilag churns out?! Damn! Education in Nigeria is finished. Her grammar does not even reach primary level talkless of professional level. Is this the quality of journalism in Nigeria? Azuka one thing is for sure, you didnt get to where you are by merit. You are a disgrace to the profession.

42. YesIsaidit

May 3, 2016 at 6:33 pm

Anuofia

whether na print or TV journalist. I am very sure during your course in school , some of the mandatory classes or journalism students take includes how to conduct interviews whether its for print , radio or tv

What i cant stand about this heffa is the fact that she doesnt want to accept responsibility for her poor job done and still keep making excuses – i am a print journalist ko print journalist ni.

What are you? retarded. Even your response is not professional enough. Stop making excuses and admit yes i did a poor job, dont be telliing us oh i am a print journalist or it was 2 am in the morning and i had already done my crying before i sat down to speak to tiwa – are you fkcing kidding me. You are an idiot

Charles NOvia stop making excuses for this short yellow bus riding girl.. And stop lyiing – IF SHE DID NOT BELIEVE IT WILL GO VIRAL WHY DID SHE LOOK NERVOUS DOING THE INTERVIEW EVEN ASSUMING THIS WAS HER FIRST INTERVIEW EVER and IT WAS meant FOR print AND NOT FOR VIDEO

, ofcourse she knew it will go on video. so GTFOHWTBS

She needs to go back to school and start with journalism 101 whether na print, type , tv whatever.

You are lucky you are in NIgeria cos if you were any where else like out West you will BLACK LISTED in the industry for good. IT WAS EXCRUTIATING PAINFUL WATCHING YOU INTERVIEW TIWA, YOU MUST GO DOWN IN HISTORY FOR SURE. AMCVA NEEDS TO AWARD YOU FOR THE WORST EVER.

Print Journalist Ko Print Journalist NI

43. YesIsaidit

May 3, 2016 at 6:35 pm

She is a complete Disgrace to the whole Nigerian Journalism Association.

44. Tony

May 3, 2016 at 6:36 pm

Guys there is a difference between constructive critiquing and destructive critiquing. ive read most of the comments and i see loads of the latter. to those of us in the business we know that we don’t just pull questions out of our asses in most cases the questions are delivered to you, by your rag or verted by the interviewee’s PR peeps. Watching the interview i can just tell that the brief here was to make sure Tiwa came out looking like a pathetic Victim. Azuka delivered the goods. Don’t shoot the messenger peeps. She was just doing her job.Her brief was to give Tiwa a platform to look the part of the damsel in distress. did she deliver yes she did. Tiwa ended up looking like a VICTIM. Tbliz a demon. all she needed to do was ask a few questions that were not suggestive, she didn’t need to put words in tiwas mouth she just directed the conversation and voila ! Tiwa the victim was born.

45. Observer

May 3, 2016 at 6:57 pm

Just looked at her facebook page, the girl must have got a p7 in English o! Its littered with grammatical errors.

• really!!!

May 3, 2016 at 7:48 pm

stalking levels. jeez the hate is real

46. Toyin james

May 3, 2016 at 6:57 pm

You drink the acid first. as a matter of fact, take a shower in it. Then we can talk.

47. Fola Coco

May 3, 2016 at 7:05 pm

*Orthopedic Or Neurosurgery*

48. do you all have jobs?

May 3, 2016 at 7:08 pm

There is a saying that women may not go to hell for adultery/forniication, but they will be plenty in hell fire for gossiping, backbiting and the rest

Do you all have jobs?

You want to kill yourself over one other girl?

Your loves must be full of hatred and bile

• Legend

May 3, 2016 at 9:57 pm

And yet here you are…in our midst. ?

49. do you all have jobs?

May 3, 2016 at 7:08 pm

*lives*

50. babygirl

May 3, 2016 at 7:09 pm

Why are Nigerians so rude? sometimes its funny but after a while it becomes disturbing. the lady does not deserve all this hateful; backlash. the best way to deal with the whole interview thing, if you have actually got a problem with it, is to direct your constructive criticisms to the chief editor of This Day magazine. i watched the interview the whole 45 mins or more my attention was directed at Tiwa, Azuka was more of a moderator. This was the Tiwa show and This Day got the Gig on Tiwas Terms And Conditions. Shikina.

51. Lois

May 3, 2016 at 7:16 pm

Chai! You’re wicked o…lols

52. Simply Karma

May 3, 2016 at 7:39 pm

This is a case of give and it will come back to you in great measure. This woman in the past has used her poisonous pen to pull others down by writing a lot of negative things.. She is simply reaping what she has sown and having a delicious taste of her own medicine now. Nnwa’nne m, enjoy it!

53. Oya na

May 3, 2016 at 7:51 pm

Azuka Azuka…bazoooooka bhavior….all ds ‘print journalism’ talk n u no sabi wen to use ‘have’ and ‘has’….u for kuku d use our unofficial lingua ‘F’ like me. Dat way u go mke less atrocious errors. For example me use langua ‘F’ bcos I no fit spell am…bt I go google am afta so dt nxtime I improve.

See hw u don drag unilag mass comm put for portoportoh….very soon dem fit issue statmt sey u no sch there.

54. Zara

May 3, 2016 at 8:44 pm

So her problem is that some people are criticizing her and she doesn’t like it. Baby girl, we are just tryna make you be better. Overlook the ones you want to overlook. You were tacky. Work on it.

55. baruta

May 4, 2016 at 2:28 am

Thats it..!!!!. i hv made up my mind to pass on the interview… mbok lemme spare myself the agony of feeling the kind of pains u folkz are feeling as a result the sordid experience………..and ofcuz,i will be watching out for stuffs from her, trust me, i don’t plan on being one of her victims!!!!

56. Eva

May 4, 2016 at 2:53 am

Very childish and unprofessional. The way she talks clearly shows her level of professionalism. Smh no sense.

57. Kayode

May 4, 2016 at 4:07 pm

Thank God I followed my instinct and watched the interview. AZUKA YOU DID A GOOD JOB. YOU PLAYED THE PART OF DEVILS ADVOCATE AND WERE ABLE TO GET TIWA TELL HER STORY. YOU MADE THE WOMAN LOOK LIKE HER SHIT DON’T STINK AND PEOPLE GONNA HAVE ISSUES BECOS YOUR ENGLISH WASN’T POSH ENOUGH. MTCHEWWWW. PLEASE IGNORE THE UNEDUCATED OPINIONS OF A BUNCH OF BABOONS THAT FROM THEIR COMMENTS IS GLARING OBVIOUS CAN’T GRASP THE CONCEPT OF INTERVIEWING TECHNIQUES. I must add that I watched this clip with a group of law students whose first language is English. They all agree that the interviewer did a great job.

• Really Kayode?

May 4, 2016 at 6:07 pm

And this would be written by Azuka herself right? Stop logging in under false aliases to defend yourself. Look in the mirror and acknowledge you are not as amazing as your fake friends would have you believe. In fact you are far from amazing, you totally failed in the eyes of the general public. I’m not sure what kind of law students you are watching this with but I bet they are from the same prestigious school you graduated from that gave you a pass instead of an F9 parallel.

58. vheeki

May 4, 2016 at 4:28 pm

Karma is never far away…
    That is the message from all this for you Aunty Azuka, seems you don’t like a shot of your own melecine?

• Lewis

May 4, 2016 at 5:42 pm

What do you think your idiotic comments will do to her? You must have a really warped opinion of your own self importance. You have so much believe in your idiotic comment you have gone on to endorse it with your real name and a photo of yourself not!!!!!. You think her employers are going yo want to listen to what uou got to say, a faceless nameless sick little internet troll.That’s the total measure of you. You are living your own KARMA..

59. Really Kayode?

May 4, 2016 at 6:10 pm

We should drink acid and now we are baboons. Why resort to name calling or is it that the correct use of English to express yourself eludes you? Hurling insults in the court of general opinion just reflects how base your behaviour is and your true uncouth colours. I guess rubbing shoulders with the so called elite hasn’t rubbed off has it?

60. The saint

May 4, 2016 at 7:01 pm

And the electronic score board reads 2 : 59. In favour of dumb ass opinions.

61. Dee

May 6, 2016 at 3:57 am

Who is Charles Novia and why does he think his validation matters? As a trained multimedia reporter who has worked with major news organizations like the Associated Press, I am offended that he assumes that print journalists are expected to conduct themselves in a less professional manner than broadcast. Is this what the ‘prestigious University of Lagos’ teaches?

The ‘journalist’ was aware that a camera was rolling, which means there is always a possibility the video may eventually be seen by the pubic. So there is absolutely no reason for her to appear as nonchalant and uninterested as she did. Further, as trained journalists, we are expected to be prepared to work extremely long and late hours to cover break news content. Awaiting election results, covering a sporting event into the dead hours of the morning and covering a plane crash or unexpected death of a prominent individual, are examples of situations we often find ourselves. You did none of this. You had the privilege of getting a call to a sit down interview in a quiet environment, in which no one but you and the subject were interrupted. You had a chance to ask ANYTHING that you wanted without restriction, and you blew it.

Accept the criticism and work on your craft. You lack the depth to adequately produce a feature piece. You struggle to write profile stories, one of the easiest forms of stories to write. You repeatedly make the same grammatical mistakes in ALL your print work. This proves that you actually do not realize these mistakes are indeed errors.

I understand Nigeria’s print media is guided by any format or principle, but this isn’t an excuse. My advice is to identify a seasoned journalist you admire in terms of writing style and try to emulate them. Invest in a copy of the AP Stylebook, which should help form the basis of your sentence structuring. Granted, this book doesn’t cover some of our “Naija-isms,” but it will help improve your vocabulary. Avoid hyperbolic statements and stick to the facts. Follow a pyramid format (most relevant news at the top, the expand follow it by providing more details details or meat to back up your main point.

Finally, live by this tried and trusted acronym for what should constitute news: TIPCUP

T-Timeliness (of the news. Why is it important now?)
    I-Impact (on your audience. Why should they care?)
    P-Prominence (of the subject.)
    C-Conflict (Does it cause a controversy, are there two sides?)
    U-Unsual (An innovative idea or new approach to a subject that makes it stand out.)
    P-Proximity (How close is your audience to the story?)

These tips may help tighten up your writing a bit. And if that doesn’t work, you may actually be better at TV reporting for entertainment news. This avenue allows you to be more casual and less restrictive in your interviewing and demeanor. Since you are friends with most of these personalities, you can put them at ease with a more playful approach to interviewing.

Best of luck.

62. Dee-USA

May 6, 2016 at 3:58 am

T-Timeliness (of the news. Why is it important now?)
    I-Impact (on your audience. Why should they care?)
    P-Prominence (of the subject.)
    C-Conflict (Does it cause a controversy, are there two sides?)
    P-Proximity (How close is your audience to the story?)

Best of luck.